[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do heavy meta mechanics disturb your suspension of disbelief/character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1463846000739.jpg (33KB, 552x475px) Image search: [Google]
1463846000739.jpg
33KB, 552x475px
Do heavy meta mechanics disturb your suspension of disbelief/character or world immersion?

In the author/actor roleplaying split, what ratio works best for you? Why?
>>
>>51175291
Nothing can destroy immersion quite as thoroughly as a need to metagame, for whatever reason. Among other things because it's almost guaranteed that a system that requires metagaming also has poor connection between fluff and crunch.

>In the author/actor roleplaying split
what
>>
>>51176144
Author, meaning administrating BOTH your character (in the 3rd person) and the story at the same time through mechanics such as player facing narrative-influencing points, declarative (as opposed to investigative) knowledge rolls, etc. Mandates thinking about not just your character and their thoughts and actions, but also about how you want the story to shape around them and influencing that directly as a player instead of just through your character.

Actor, meaning 1st person acting through your character with all outside "story" and "world" stuff dictated by the GM and/or dice.
>>
>>51175291
meta mechanics are fine.
I like giving the players a bit of author power over what their home towns are like and such.
>>
>>51176285
RIP the Forge
>>
>>51177060
No? Author vs. Actor stance, while both present to some extent in every RPG, are actual meaningful points of discussion unlike GNS theory.
>>
>>51175291
Give your examples of meta mechanics because it seems to have a lot of different answers depending on the person.

Tabletop rpg is a cooperative game where everyone have a part in it but usually the DM take at least 50% by being the sole authority who define the situation where others PCs find themselves in and have to react accordingly.
>>
>>51177131
>the Forge was just GNS
oh no

To answer the questions
>Do heavy meta mechanics disturb your suspension of disbelief/character or world immersion?
Not any more than any mechanics do. Something happening or not happening to my character due to a dice roll is just as believable as it happening due to someone spending metacurrency to fiat it so.

>In the author/actor roleplaying split, what ratio works best for you? Why?
I enjoy more authorial as you get more worldbuilding done. It's pretty rare any of us are good enough roleplayers to enjoy the character for the character's sake, it's usually their story in the context of the world that makes things interesting.

>>51177196
Meta mechanics are any mechanics whereby a player can affect the game world outside the actions of their character. Fate Points and PbtA make-up-the-answer-to-your-infofinding-check are examples.
>>
>>51177269
Then that will annoy me as the DM if the players start making up the shit they found out by their own checks, which supposed to be my fun.
Even with light rules rpg like Savage Worlds I rarely encountered such heavy meta rules.
>>
>>51177389
>my fun
Well the whole point of these sorts of games is to share. It's as built-in an assumption of the system as NOT-sharing GM's-word-is-law in more traditional RPGs.

But it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.