[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, new GM here. One of my players seems really enthusiastic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Batman Green Lantern.jpg (71KB, 650x820px) Image search: [Google]
Batman Green Lantern.jpg
71KB, 650x820px
So, new GM here.

One of my players seems really enthusiastic about rolling for stats.
I understand there is a lot of argument online regarding rolling vs arrays vs pointbuy.

The case of rolling too low seems easy to solve by allowing the array option after rolling.

What I want to know is, specifically in D&D 5e, how bad can it get if he rolls really well?
And what should I do to mitigate it, if anything?

This definitely includes any issues that can result from having one player much more powerful than all the other players.

(I did consider setting some kind of limits on the roll, but I suspect I might be too inexperienced to know what may be required)
>>
>>51174102
5e is unlikely to explode if one player gets better numbers than another. In extreme cases, we're talking about starting with a +5 in a stat instead of a +3. That's an entire 10% better chance of success. Nice, but not major.

Independent of system though, when you roll for stats you might get situations where one player is jealous of another for having better numbers, or for taking away from their fun of being "the strong one" or "the clever one" in the party. You said "one of my players". I'd recommend against rolling for stats unless all of your players want to do it.

If you do want to roll stats, I'd recommend rolling them in order. A guy who does DnD on youtube (i.e. a guy with an opinion, i.e. a guy who someone will post here to shit on regardless of the topic) recommends the 4d6 method, rerolling until you get two or more stats of 15 or better, and then making a character based on that. He also runs relatively lethal campaigns, so players with characters they don't like are unlikely to get stuck with them.

http://crimsonshade.com/statsroller.php

Give it a try, make a character based on the first combination from the top-right that has at least two 15s. I think it's fun. Less so when you roll high Strength and low Constitution, of course. You really can't do much with that combination.
>>
File: superman_green_lantern.jpg (48KB, 420x641px) Image search: [Google]
superman_green_lantern.jpg
48KB, 420x641px
>>51174102
I believe I have a better OP image
>>
>>51175078
With additional points added for not having an obnoxious credit-stealing humor website address at the bottom of the image.

But Elseworld's Darkest Knight was better. At least until they started crowbaring in every Batman villain that wasn't the Joker.
>>
>>51174102
There isn't any major problem if you allow standard array, but there honestly isn't much point. It hardly creates any variation and in the process unbalances the team and makes characters that can't be instantly transferred to other games.

You could set certain restrictions. Paladin is already a strong class without people having ridiculously good stats. Say that nobody can become a paladin unless they use standard array stats. Barbarian and monk are probably fine, though monk reliesh heavily on stats they won't become overpowered.

If your entire group is fine with it, roll stats in order. It creates variable characters that aren't 'I put my highest stat in the stat I need, then the next three highest stats in con, dex and finally wis. Then str, then int.'
>>
File: 1473805835267.jpg (102KB, 736x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1473805835267.jpg
102KB, 736x1130px
>>51174102
Point Buy v Array v Rolling has been talked to death, but I'll chime in.

The problem with rolled stats in my experience is you end up with superstars and hangers on. This usually means one guy doing everything while the person who rolled poorly might as well not show up. I prefer point buys to arrays because I like the customization, but they both solve the Superman/Jubilee problem.

5th ed isn't too bad if you roll really high, you max at 18 (20 with a +2 bonus) which as another anon noted is 10% better. 20 is also your absolute maximum in 5th, so you'll start great but never really see improvement. I tend to follow Traveller rules, where if you have to roll you can re-roll if the sup of your stat modifiers is -1 or less. Nobody I've met has fun playing the cripple.
>>
>>51176023
>10% better

Giving somebody a +1 weapon can result in quite feasibly 25% extra damage. Same goes for upping something such as strength by 1.

Say, you're against an enemy with an AC of 18.
Your hit chance is +5.

13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 to hit. 40% chance of hit.
Now, let's say you get that +2 bonus.
Your chance of hit has just gone up to 50%. That's 125% your original hit chance.

But it doesn't stop there.
Say, if you're a monk, you might've been dealing 1d4+3 damage per punch at level 1. That's 5.5 damage average.
Now it's 7.5 damage average.
That's 136% your original damage.

The monk's damage output has just gone up to 170% (it's actually slightly lower when you factor in crits, but it's a very marginal difference since it's only an extra 1d4 on crit).

Not only that, the monk's dex save has +2, the monk's AC has +2, the monk's stealth rolls have +2, the monk will have +2 on deflect missiles when they get it..

Yes, it's a bit loaded to use monk as an example, but a fighter using a big weapon isn't different when you factor in the + hit chance being even more valuable when you're using sharpshooter/great weapon master, and even without that more hitchance means more chance of dealing an already good damage output.
>>
>>51176628
Oh, forgot to mention
>and their initiative has +2
Fuckin' dex.

tl;dr: Don't treat +1 as a mere 5% increase. While it balances out again later on if you even reach those levels (and the people with higher stats just get cool feats instead while those who didn't don't get fun toys) it can be worth more than that.
>>
>>51174102
5e is pretty well balanced, what can/will happen depends a lot on the player but having a range of good stats if he rolls well isn't likely to screw things up too badly. If he does end up being a filthy munchkin the easiest way to cope is to withhold useful magic items and dole them out to other characters to bring them up to snuff. Or heavy EXP bonuses for RP, munchkins usually suck at RP.
>>
>>51174102
>The case of rolling too low seems easy to solve by allowing the array option after rolling.
...thus ensuring that everyone will either have the standard array, or better.

Either roll for stats or don't. If you're concerned about players rolling poorly, have everyone do point buy.
>>
>>51174102
With DND5 disallowing >15 stats on chargen normally, I'd only let the guy roll 3d6, not 4d6 drop lower. If he's soo excited about playing random, then he can take it.

Standard array option on offer too ofc.
>>
>>51175078
Why not Yellow Lantern InjusticeSupes punking the fucking planet GL?
>>
>>51174102
Batman is Shit when it comes to imagination.
>>
>>51179442
So is every green lantern on show.
>>
>>51179712
then he is not overpowered.
>>
>>51180456
He can be if his GRREAT WILLPOWER just adds extramore punch to the glowing green fists he uses like everybody else.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.