[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Be DM with Half-Elf McCoolname >McCoolname meets oldass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: tired-miyamori.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tired-miyamori.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>Be DM with Half-Elf McCoolname
>McCoolname meets oldass Dwarf smith
>Dwarf smith doesn't take him seriously because he is just an tralala elfie boi
>McCoolname attempts to make the Dwarf think of him better by telling him his tragic and emotional half-elf backstory
>Insists to roll several times, gets average rolls
>Dwarf smith continues to scoff him, half-elf is an elf to him, the hell is a half-elf even?
>Dwarf eventually tells him that he has work to do and leaves.
>"I don't think that you're going to be able to befriend him, McCoolname."
>McCoolname storms out of the room pissed, saying that I never gave him a fair chance to make friends with the dwarf.

What should I do, /tg/?
>>
Find better players.
>>
>>51164342
>What should I do, /tg/?
First, you should clarify your story.

>Be DM with Half-Elf McCoolname
This is unclear. Try to clarify that this is another player; the initial phrasing suggests you are using a DMPC.

>McCoolname storms out of the room pissed, saying that I never gave him a fair chance to make friends with the dwarf.

Are there any other players, or are you playing with only one other person?

If that was your only other player, you should probably contact them and see if they want to continue the game; if they do, explain that you'll tell them when to roll. Furthermore, telling people your backstory isn't going to generally make friends with people when they're trying to do their job - how would they feel if they were playing a videogame and then someone barged in and started telling them how they were molested as a child? Would it make you want to become their friend, or call the cops?

Then call the cops and have your friend arrested for trespassing on your house.
>>
>>51164342

Stop making every dwarf a gruff antisocial fucker who hates elves?

You stuck to formula 'just because' and in doing so set the bar the interact with the dwarf on respectable terms unreasonably high. Average diplomacy rolls might not make him your best friend, but by your own admission he rolled decently multiple times and was still met with open racism.

Ask yourself this: is there anything the player could have done that WOULDN'T have still ended with dwarfsmith still acting exactly the same way to McCoolname?
>>
>>51164500
Not OP but....
>McCoolname attempts to make the Dwarf think of him better by telling him his tragic and emotional half-elf backstory
Trying to make friends with someone by crying over how unfair your life was because one of your parents happened to be an elf/human isn't exactly something that'd work.
>>
>>51164342

Count your blessings that it's not worse.

>Be DM
> One of the players has some halfling rogue stereotype character.
>Going to meet the town mayor, not even directly looking for a job, but want to introduce themselves to the local power structure before they run around murderhoboing.
>Initial roll for attitude, unfriendly.
>Play that for the mayor
>PCs quickly realize this, try to get him to come around.
>Halfling says that he does his 'cute kitty impression', jumps up on the mayor's desk, and then takes a 'big steaming dump on it' while meowing.
>Only reason I don't get to go WTF mode is because 2 of the other players beat me to it.
>>
>>51164538
>how unfair your life was because one of your parents happened to be an elf/human
That isn't really what OP said, though. Maybe implied, but it's not something I thought about when I read it.
>>
>>51164607

>>
>>51164614
"tragic and emotional half-elf backstory" doesn't imply much else.
>>
>>51164372
fpbp
>>
File: 1459697765696.png (309KB, 306x531px) Image search: [Google]
1459697765696.png
309KB, 306x531px
Players are supposed to roll when the DM prompts it when an action's outcome is important and uncertain. If an action is very simple compared to the character's skill, and they would succeed on the top or bottom of a die roll, they simply succeed without rolling. If it is completely impossible, they fail without rolling. If there are other effects that might be achieved to compound the impending success or failure, a roll might still be called, for systems/GMs that use a sliding scale and partial successes.
If there was literally no chance for the situation to change, allowing him to roll was unnecesary. If he might have impressed him, even slightly, by rolling high, or mucked the situation further by rolling low, it's reasonable.
Not everything is overcomeable for a character. You can declare you'd like to kill a mountain with your sword, but it simply won't succeed. Perhaps the player has some grounding, perhaps not. Just this snippet makes it sound like the player was in the wrong, but only you know the full story, OP.
>>
>>51164607
I think it would be almost hard to be initially angry with that. Like it's too shocking to be anything else. I assume they were chased out of town after that wore off though
>>
>>51164732
The he's treated unfair is not a given. First and foremost it's him explaing that he's not a full elf with some flavor story. The tragedy and emotions could just simply come from his parents story.
>>
>>51164750
This.

I'd give the halfling one round to act before the mayor and his guards beat the remaining shit out of him and throw him in jail.
>>
>>51164342
>Dwarf smith doesn't take him seriously because he is just an tralala elfie boi
God, why does everyone make dwarfs into racist cunts?
>>
>>51164342
>Be old-ass racist smith
>some nigger comes in
>whatever, sell him some basic shit and back to work
>nigger wants to talk
>"I'm busy"
>nigger really wants to talk
>"I said I'm busy, go find some whore to cry on or something"
>nigger goes into full victim mode, cryin about how poor and persecuted he was throughout his entire life
>would sic dog on him but don't want the hassle
>"got a ton of work, shop's closing for today, gtfo"
>still don't know what his problem was, but hey, niggers be niggers.
>>
>>51164342
I feel like OP is trying to convey some kind of parody, but it's buried too deeply under passive-aggressiveness.

>insists to roll
If you're the GM, why are you letting a player bully you into letting them roll when you don't want them to?
>>
>>51164826
>The single example of a dwarf in the OPs game is a racist cuck.
>Automatically assumes all of OPs dwarves are racist cucks.
What are you, a racist cuck?
>>
>>51164750

It ended with halfling's character getting the boot and retconning the entire scene out of existence.
>>
Is it weird that I feel like a special snowflake for not having a tragic backstory?
>>
>>51164342
>Half-elf
>Trying to attach himself to others in some way to affirm his tragic backstory so he can be proud of having something to be proud of to self-identify with
>Get's this asshurt at not making friends with a Dwarf

He's Mixed IRL isn't he? This is textbook levels of projection.
>>
>>51164342
>not having the dwarf tell him the story of how he become an only child... out of 12 siblings.
ur a scrub DM, get gud
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.