[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just read Dune, and, though this will probably just become

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: dune_tribute_by_jamga-d34c20h.jpg (282KB, 1701x612px) Image search: [Google]
dune_tribute_by_jamga-d34c20h.jpg
282KB, 1701x612px
So I just read Dune, and, though this will probably just become /pol/, why does he describe Paul's foreseen conquest as a jihad?
Is it just a part of Herbert's worldbuilding, utilizing both Christian and Islamic references? Or is it some kind of interpretation of how, to a Western audience, a Crusade creates a more positive image while a Jihad sounds more negative?
Or am I just reading too much into this?
>>
>>51152781
>So I just read Dune, and, though this will probably just become /pol/, why does he describe Paul's foreseen conquest as a jihad?

Because the Fremen-Atriedies dynamic is very clearly inspired by the whole "Lawrence of Arabia" and revolt against the Ottomans (whom the Corrinos resemble more than a little), so since his army is mainly "space Arab", they use a term associated with Arabs.
>>
I think before "jihad bad" and "crusade good" (lol) it's just a more foreign sounding word (imagine connotations of "jihad" BEFORE 9/11) that isn't necessarily hyper negative. It's a holy war on something. So more part of the worldbuilding and keeping in with the mystique herbert tries to keep around certain pieces of it.
>>
>>51152781
>>>/lit/
Seriously what the fuck does this have to do with /tg/?
>>
>>51152781
It's a matter of worldbuilding. A lot of eastern and western cultural ideas kind of rub together in the Duneverse. They had a lot of time to combine shit together, especially after the cultural reset button that was the Butlerian Crusades.
>>
This was a time before jihad was seen as an attack on Western culture.

Ironically, anyone I've met who has read Dune pre 9/11 has a better tolerance for Muslims than most.

Herbert is also the only author that I've seen use the word in the correct context without it being anti-Western. (That being a religious and ideological war against your enemies. Not this hippy jihad for friendship propaganda.)
>>
>>51152781
You don't get it, because you were probably a little kid before 9/11, and >>51156112.
>>
>>51154662
>Seriously what the fuck does this have to do with /tg/?
...Dune?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.