[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup, /tg/. I will be playing a RPG for the first time soon,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

Sup, /tg/.

I will be playing a RPG for the first time soon, and for various reasons, people are thinking about doing through the internet.
As I never played before, so I don't know if it is as fun as a real-life face-to-face session.
Anyone more experienced could give me opinions about the matter?
>>
>>51133315

Playing online is different than playing in meatspace. It is arguable that it is better, as you have an easy text log of what has happened and digital aids such as dice rollers, macros, maps, and linked character sheets built into many platforms and the sometimes difficult logistics of assembling the group in a single location are not necessary.

However, some people value being in the same space as the other players, generally because they enjoy the company of the players, being "friends." They can then share snacks and beverages, use body language to communicate, and some like the feel of using paper sheets, dead-tree books, physical dice, and figurines or graph paper.

These are both valid opinions, and one does not replace the other. Hopefully this explanation helps you understand the subject to a sufficiently satisfactory degree.
>>
>>51133634
Thanks for your answer, anon. It gave me much insight on the subject.

A part of me feels like "my first time should be special!", but playing online do seems more comfortable for me. I guess I was just being a little bitch.
>>
>>51133741

Good luck out there, kiddo. Some general advice:

Watch out for flakes and, even worse, the people who are there but are distracted the whole time. Ideally, a GM can keep everybody on task and reasonably engaged, but every so often you'll get a player who hops into games of Overwatch or something when it's not their combat turn and don't pay attention to what's happening.

Good players and good GMs keep their attention on what's happening in the game. This is easier when using voice for most things, but some folks like to type all their in-character stuff. It's not wrong, but it needs more discipline and slow typers can be left behind in RP.

Try to be punctual. It's frustrating when the whole group has to wait an hour for the guy who takes extra time to take a shower and make a sandwich instead of taking care of shit beforehand and being ready to play at the appointed time. Everybody's making space in their schedule for the game; if you won't or can't, you shouldn't be fucking it up for the others.

Know your character, too, and have the necessary references at hand, especially in combat. Think ahead. Nobody likes waiting several minutes while someone looks up a spell and hems and haws over what they'll do. When your initiative cycles around, be ready to go. This helps keep things moving in combat. Obviously, a good group will be able to help you out if you're new, and have a little patience.
>>
>>51133974
Thank you so much for the tips!
5 out of the 6 players that will play will be first timers, too, so I hope they will be good players as you describe.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.