[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>A strange curse has given you the same vision as a mantis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (6KB, 251x192px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 251x192px
>A strange curse has given you the same vision as a mantis shrimp.
From a game play perspective how would this affect a player?
>>
>>51121462
Slip some LSD in his drink.
>>
>>51121462
Player finds out more existing colors exist, goes insane from this new found knowledge and viewing.
>>
>>51121462
You start seeing things that are, to normal vision, invisible. You maintain the element of counter-surprise by pretending that you still can't see them.
Possibly supernatural entities operate on different wavelengths naturally. You start seeing magical auras.
>>
>>51121462
They can now only see twelve distinct colors and they have three pupils in each eye
I would suggest
-utter immunity to invisibility and other cloaking abilities due to their strange sight
-inability to relay color information to the rest of the group
-large penalty to actions that require distinguishing colors, such as trap finding or most spot checks
-can tell distances extremely accurately
-however their mind can only take so much sensory info, and they suffer from frequent migraines
>>
You become nearsighted as you find your focal point to be ~20cm
Also your resolving power goes to shit
Effectively you only see blurs of motion, in more colours
>>
>>51121462
You can see a small ways into UV and IR, but by most standards you'd be legally blind.

On the plus side, if you got some vision-correcting gear, you'd be able to see stuff like this.
>>
>>51121462
Well, they'd become really good at spotting mantis shrimp.
>>
>>51121462
Does it also give me mantis shrimp punching capability relative to the size of a person?
>>
Mantis shrimp eyes don't work like that. They don't see more colors that exist only to them, they see the same spectrum amplified into a broader range.

It's like getting one of those fancy printers with more than four ink cartridges. Colors simply become more vibrant and more nuanced. You'd be able to differentiate between more shades because the spectrum is widened for you. You're basically adding more shades of the colors you can see to the existing visual spectrum, as well as infrared and ultraviolet. These printers don't produce octarine and you go insane because you've never seen that color before, or before capable of printing parasitic colors from out of space that drain the life around them slowly.

It's much more like the pic in >>51122498. Additionally, you'd be able to see polarized light, meaning you'd be able to see how light bends through transparent materials (like how light refracts through windows if you wear RealD movie glasses and look at a window) and better differentiate between shadow and not shadow, negating camouflage of animals colored brightly on the bottom and darkly on top. Also, regular color and patterned camouflage is harder to work since being slightly off the color palette means you might as well have worn an orange jumper (which, strangely, can also happen in people who are red/green or blue/yellow colorblind).
>>
>>51122413
I'm pretty sure the mantis shrimp sees more colors, not less.
>>
While mantis shrimp can see the shit out of things in their ocular 'range', their ability to see long distances doesn't exist, they see like fucking 12 feet, maximum.
>>
>>51121462
Has nobody here read Franken Fran? I liked that Interpretation.
>>
>>51122413
They can see twelve base colors, not only twelve shades total.

We see our entire spectrum in three base colors. Their color vision would be incomprehensibly complex. Depth perception would also probably be kickass because their vision is hexnocular to our binocular. As for distance and sharpness, I have no idea.

So, bonus to distinguish differences in color and excellent depth perception, but if hit with a color spray you go into a goddamn coma, no save.
>>
>>51125386
Don't they have a pretty poor capability to detect shades?
>>
>>51125444
Oh boy no they don't.
>>
So, better perception?
>>
>>51125386
>Their color vision would be incomprehensibly complex.
Wrong-o-lino. It's not much different than a human's. Mantis shrimps' eyes have twelve base colors because they don't have the volume of color neurons to interpret color signals like we can. It's solving a processing deficiency down the chain with hardware-based pre-processing up the chain.
>>
>>51122498
>but by most standards you'd be legally blind.
I find that highly implausible, unless the mantis shrimp can only see from up close
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.