[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Having purchased Xenonauts during the Christmas Steam sale and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: latest[1].jpg (755KB, 1600x1016px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
755KB, 1600x1016px
Having purchased Xenonauts during the Christmas Steam sale and having played it a lot and losing all of my best men every time terror missions start popping up, I've decided that an X-Com esque setting would be great for a TTRPG campaign. It has all the makings of a good campaign: an alien invasion, the threat of the annihilation of mankind, a slowly escalating threat that increases in power over time, getting new gear based on what the enemy brings to earth, squad based tactics et cetera. The problem is that I'm a TTRPG babby who has only played D&D 3.5e and 5e.

What system would work best for an X-Com esque game? Preferably something that's easy to pick up and doesn't require me to roll for anal circumference.
>>
>>51112174
Honestly, for most groups it would be ideal. The GM just plays the part of the administrator and sends the team on missions. No roleplay, just throwing dice and killing stuff followed by upgrades and promotions.
>>
>>51112174
BRP, especially since you can take the math from reboot XCOM or Xenonauts, your preference, and turn it straight into the skills and modifiers used. The only thing stopping XCOM from being a perfect 1-1 translation to a board game is the clusterfuck that is LOS.
>>
>>51112174

Ah, terror missions. That blessed time you just go full psycho with grenades, rockets, heavy machineguns, and drag along the armored car or tank. They're gonna nuke the city if you fail, so even levelling every building is justifiable.
>>
I've had a cocept for a campaign bouncing around in my head for a while that takes place 20 years after nuXCOM (I love classic, but it doesn't have MECs). The players would be members of a stripped-down XCOM, still paranoid of another invasion that the rest of the world has forgotten about. They'd be trying desperately to quell the few remaining aliens, or control the little Elerium-115 left, or keep dangerous alien tech out of the Bad Guys' hands. All the while they get hints that another invasion is on the way, so they have to prepare the world for that too.
But every group I pitch it too would rather just play D&D 5e.
>>
File: 1399803665114.jpg (93KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
1399803665114.jpg
93KB, 500x398px
>>51116201
>blessed time
U wot m8? A terror mission can really rain on your parade. It's a "fucked if you do, fucked if you don't" situation. Intervene and you'll almost certainly lose some of your best men. Don't intervene and your relations with the region will drop significantly. Intervene and lose, you lose an entire squad of good men AND the region hates you.
>>
>>51112174
If you want a miniature game with XCOM style mechanics*, Infinity is pretty much this.

*not the setting though, it's anime-y GITS/Appleseed styled. with hackers, mecha and thermoptic camouflage. Yes it has aliens.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.