[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 45

File: StayFrosty.jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
StayFrosty.jpg
36KB, 223x310px
Extraplanar Warming Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://www.magiccards.info

>Thread Topic:
Why doesn't everyone include at least some land destruction?
>>
1st for THE ONLY THING I KNOW FOR REAL THERE WILL BE BLOOD
>>
>>51107673
How would you build a Heidar deck? Just a bunch of bounce? Or maybe wizard tribal?
>>
>>51107673
Three posts early OP, but that's alright, I think you're doing a great job.

>Why doesn't everyone include at least some land destruction?
Because there's this "any LD is bad" meme that gets perpetrated through casual playgroups. Not only is tempo land destruction one of the best plays in the game, there's no better feeling than blowing up an Urborg or Coffers while the puny black mage squeals in terror. The only bad land destruction, in my opinion, is just wrathing everyone's lands without a way to close out the game before they could restore their boardstate. I mean, plopping down a few walkers, then wrathing everyone's lands is a reasonable enough play to just fast forward to the end, depending on how committed your players are, but just blowing up the board because you're losing leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
>>
>>51107673
I include a Tectonic Edge and Ghost Quarter in all my decks, but that's about it.

Except Armageddon in my Avvy deck.
>>
>>51107673
I think most are afraid to include it, because it's deemed "unfun". Not as unfun as Academy Ruins shenanigans though, so I always include some.
>>
I want to build a deck that's packed to the gills with alternate wincons. Stuff like LabMan, Felidar, Helix Pinnacle, stuff like that. Who would be the best commander for this? I'm thinking Gahiji since he encourages pillowfort and weaseling your way out of attacks
>>
>>51107673
It's the only thing that makes RW good, in my opinion. There's quite a lot of problematic lands, but I understand the issue against it, especially in Craw Wurm metas that need more than four lands to play the game.
>>
>>51108641
The one time I saw him it was a tribal wizard with Extraplanar Lens, Snow Lands, the Isochorn Scepter kit and a bunch of other mana doublers.

It was alright, pretty controlly but kind of a gimic.
>>
>>51108755
>>51108770
The "Any LD is bad" meme is proliferate because for new/low level players, proper land balance in deck construction is either rote "23 lands, 23 lands, the guy at fnm said 23 lands" or proper choice of hands is difficult. "Wow, look at all these cool cards! Its fine, I'll draw my lands as I play!"

At which point, land destruction is worse than a counterspell for a bullet train to "I don't get to play Magic anymore but still have to sit here and get hit" Land.

This would just be a growing pain for new players, EXCEPT for the fact that in casual playgroups, there are no pairing mechanics to keep the competitive/win-more-at-all-cost players away from them. So you'll have the guy who thinks playing at any level but balls-to-the-wall is not okay, against a person whose deck has limited-fodder cards.

There is also the new-to-middling level player who understands the power of LD but not proper usage, and makes some games take forever because one player is unable to play cards, and the LD player has very little BUT LD in his bag, making an unpleasant experience. At the very least, this situation usually resolves itself quickly, because the LD player gets bored or better.

This combination of factor teaches new players to hate certain strategies that feel very punishing to a play experience.
>>

I think everyone should have a strip mine or wasteland or at least ghost quarters to take out problem lands.
>>
>>51107673
most people dont like land destruction in general because its "unfun". personally i dont think its a bad thing unless its mass land destruction which basically stops the game and whoever has the most mana dorks/rocks usually just wins at that point
>>
>>51108969
>I think everyone should have a strip mine or wasteland or at least ghost quarters to take out problem lands.

Yeah, I agree. There's a point - and it's nebulous - where LD turns from, "I lost because I didn't have a key resource at the right time," into, "I lost because I wasn't allowed to play." I run very little LD, but my Zada deck has a bit. I was able to kick Goblin Ruinblaster one turn and follow it up with Invader Parasite the next to ensure one guy just sat there until he died. That was all it took.

Now, would he have still lost? Probably. Based on the cards he drew, he didn't have much land in his opening few hands anyways. But my play meant he didn't interact with the game at all.
>>
>>51108956
>in casual playgroups, there are no pairing mechanics to keep the competitive/win-more-at-all-cost players away from them.
This is true. Often, the whinest players are exposed to non-diluted MLD and just instantly rage quit, then write giant tirades on the internet about it. What they don't understand is, without the MLD, a lot of decks don't really have wincons, and it's a strategy built specifically to fuck over greedy manabases. You're right, the problem is that the Timmy and his jank pile has an average CMC of 4.53, which means any less than 5 mana and half his deck doesn't work, but they aren't smart/experienced enough to pack basic land ramp.

A player with a good, fast deck can overcome targeted land destruction easily, and if the destruction is mutual, then quite often fast decks will have rocks/ways to recoup their missing lands. The other side is, when Timmy gets hit with MLD, he reads "every card in my deck should be land destruction" rather than "pack a few things to nuke problem lands and a couple of things that win you the game if you have the right setup".

It's the same reason why Kruphix/Kaalia/Reanimator decks dominate casual metas. When you don't have to worry about mana, you can play all the fancy things you want. The problem is, those decks often teach the antithesis of deck building, because they reward you for having many high CMC cards, as opposed to using the high CMC cards efficently in a proper build.

All in all, this is a symptom of reddit, and as people get better they shouldn't bitch, unless the person utilizing it is retarded.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-01-17-atraxa-infect/

Repostin for suggestions and changes, i'm trying to go for a somewhat budget infect with Atraxa
>>
>>51109231
>Budget
>Infect
>Atraxa
Anon, no one is going to want to help you with that deck. I love helping people with decks, but I'd rather not fuck around with an esoteric 4c mana base, to help enable an easy/degenerate playstyle, with a trendy flavour of the month commander that basically every single person on tappedout is building.

Long story short? Build fun/janky/competitive decks and people will help you. Building a budget pubstomp infect deck will probably get a lot of eye-rolls.
>>
Question, are snow covered lands considered basic lands?
>>
>>51109290
Yes
>>
>>51107673
My Godo deck has it as a pretty major subtheme. I have very few things in it that need red to cast, so I either use MLD as a way to lock in a win or to even things back out. Doesn't bug my group at all, weirdly
>>
>>51109281
Is infect despised that much? I'm just trying to build something out of my starter and of all the things infect seemed a cheap way to get the deck going somewhere.
>>
>>51109368
Infect is often seen as cheap because the infect rules aren't scaled with the rest of Commander's health increases.
>>
File: pixlr_20170109095209943~2.jpg (583KB, 1495x1956px) Image search: [Google]
pixlr_20170109095209943~2.jpg
583KB, 1495x1956px
>>51107673
>LD
Boy-oh-boy, now we're speaking my language. Anyone got any critiques on this decklist?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mina-and-denn-mld-1/

>>51109368
Not that guy, but the main issue here is trying to be budget with 4 colors and running an archetype that people generally dislike isn't conducive to getting assistance.
>>
>>51109281
lmao did you get BTFO by an atraxa infect deck recently or something?
>>
So I'm building a fun Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck. However I think I've come across an issue. In order to all day every day be firing off as many damaging spells as possible I'm going to need lots of cards and I currently lack any real card draw. Should I try and fix this with Black cards like Phyrexian Arena and Underworld Connections or is there some Red or R/B Rakdos feeling cards that I don't know about that could help? I'm still fairly inexperienced with Magic so chances are there are many good cards I don't know about...
>>
>>51109290
Yes while it does not say it on the card snow covered lands are considered basic lands. The snow is a supertype I believe however on gather they are considered basic lands.
>>
>>51109210
>this is a symptom of reddit

Muh boogeyman
>>
>>51109368
Eh, not really. Have you ever played against an infect deck? Either you durdle and lose mid-game, or you instantly win with little effort. It's really not fun, trust me anon. You can have tainted strike as an alternate wincon, you can even run skittles, but building a dedicated infect deck just screams "ATTACK ME FIRST". The bigger issue is that most people don't want to help build something complicated that is also seen as cheesy, on a budget.

Now, that being said, I also bought the Atraxa deck and turned it into a very powerful ghave deck with a few minor tweaks. My list, minus Demonic Tutor, is under $130, and I came in 3rd with it at a recent commander tournament.
>>
>>51109425
You know, there was a whole post you could have replied to, right? If you're going to bait, at least pretend you have some reading comprehension ability.
>>
>>51108537
THE MOUNTAINS DON'T GIVE BACK WHAT THEY TAKE
>>
>>51109432
Can I see your list? Ghave was my most recent build and it feels very durdly to me. I built him for low-power goofiness though so that's part of it, I don't want to blow people out with a Boonweaver/Pattern of Rebirth combo
>>
>>51109432
You got me intrested, i might turn it into a Ghave deck too, do you mind if i ask the list?
>>
>>51109368

I built my own Atraxa infect deck, not saying mine is any better, but it may give you some ideas too?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-counters-infect/
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (36KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
36KB, 360x500px
>>51109528
>>51109560
Here you go anons. I'll be back in 2 hours after I take care of an appointment, but it's very effective. Few things to note:
>tutor corpsejack/ashnods/hardened scales/some form of mana ramp
>you will need to discard your hand unless you have a green mana, a tutor, or 3 mana and a rock
>practice, because the interactions are extremely complicated, and sometimes a hand that looks like a winner just isn't if you're unfamiliar with the layout
>a better manabase will improve this deck significantly

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/forage-through-the-fungus/
>>
>>51109399
Arena is a staple for any black deck, really. There's also promise of power, bloodgift demon, altar's reap if you don't mind saccing your own stuff. Then you have your colorless stuff like mind stone, solemn simulacrum and commanders sphere. Underworld connections is ok, but you could be drawing stuff for free rather than tapping the land for the same thing. Tops are also pretty cheap right now if you want to go for those.
You could also run some wheel effects like reforge the soul if you find your hand empty a lot
[Spoiler]necropotence is also pretty great
>>
>>51109642
I definitely like the feel of Bloodgift Demon and Reforge the Soul. They reinforce the feeling of suicidally attacking until one of us dies. Thank you!
>>
>>51109399
>>51109642
>>51109785
as someone who's been playing a lot of black recently, i've grown more and more disillusioned with "in your upkeep, draw a card" cards. i usually want to draw a lot of stuff on the same turn, either to find a land drop, find answers to the board state, or just because permanents tend to draw hate and get taken out a lot of time. ambition's cost, promise of power etc. are really good ways to draw.

also, night's whisper and sign in blood are auto-includes in just about every black deck because of their cheap cantripping nature. they thin your deck for only 2 mana each. also, you can cast sign in blood on an opponent to cast rakdos if you really need to!
>>
>>51108537
How to build they?
Voltron with Grave Pact and lots of Sac fodder/outlets?
>>
Going to convert my Sapling of Colfenor deck into Doran, keeping a treefolk subtheme. Any auto includes I should know of? Spicy tech?
>>
>>51110033
Yup add token generators to use tokens as sac fodder
>>
>>51107673

>>51106748
You should do consider making your commander mimeoplasm then.
>>
>>51109982
>I've grown disillusioned with in your upkeep, draw a card
How so? I've been playing a mono black deck deck since I've started, and i love drawing 2 or 3 cards on upkeep and still having the mana to play everything, even if they don't stick they usually last long enough to get your manas worth imho. Not saying sign in blood and such is bad, i run those too, but drawing multiple cards for free every turn after the initial cast is pretty great.
I also run a shit ton of tutors tho, so maybe I'm just used to fetching for my pieces rather than hardcore digging through my deck.
>>
Can someone explain what on earth Wizards was smoking when they made Yawgmoth's Bargain? That card is completely insane and has pretty much zero downside
>>
>>51110216
yeah well there's a reason it's banned in fucking everything.
>>
>>51110192
Do you get bored of tutoring for the same stuff all the time?
>>
>>51109450
Don't give serious replies to people who ironically think reddit is the root cause of all the problems with their hobbies and/or pasttimes.
>>
File: yahennitech.png (912KB, 936x445px) Image search: [Google]
yahennitech.png
912KB, 936x445px
>>51110033
>>51110139
tokens aren't really necessary with him. how often do you think you'll need to give yahenni indestructible? maybe every time someone casts a board wipe, so maybe every 2 or 3 turns? typically, the deterrant of something ready to be sacced for ID will be enough to deter destroy type removal and blockers.

furthermore, there are very few good token generators in monoblack, i think the only ones worth a fuck are grave titan, bitterblossom and ophiomancer, and even ophiomancer is a stretch. remember, you're going to be casting tons of board wipes with this guy. ophiomancer is going to eat shit and die pretty quickly. however, nether traitor and reassembling skeleton are pretty nice because you can pretty much always guarantee that they'll be there for giving yahenni the sacc, or abusing some ltb effect like grave pact, even if they're dying constantly.

also, black has a lot of reanimation stuff that really rules and should be utilized. strands of night, living death, chainer, victimize, phyrexian delver, etc.

also don't forget these cards for him. very good value for 1-2 mana drops in monoblack where you should be drawing through your deck at breakneck speeds.

here's my recommended build for yahenni:

>36 lands
>14 draw cards (some engines, some sorcery draw)
>15-20 ways to make creatures die really hard, board wipes, grave pacts, fleshbag marauders, etc.
>10 cards that enjoy LTBs happening, ie. sangromancer, demon of the dark schemes, dark prophecy, my pic related
>10-13 reanimation cards
>10ish ramp cards
>rest fill with goodstuff, tutors and other stuff
>>
>>51110240
I know, I'm just curious as to what part of "free card draw" didn't click as stupidly strong when they designed it. At least Necropotence has the exile on discard clause and it's not straight draw
>>
>>51110342
Thank you for the writeup. Much more help than I expected. But I got TripDubDubs so I guess it evens out.
>>
>>51109231
>>51109281
Slammed. But yeah, Atraxa is so fucking common. Just Google Search Atarxa [whatever other archetype] and pick and choose card selection.
>>
>>51110132
My Doran is mostly treefolk tribal but Sapling was my first commander.

For adding white to your strategy:

Wakestone Gargoyle
Indomitable Ancients
Stalwart Shield-Bearers
Oathsworn Giant
Nyx-Fleece Ram
Wall of Omens
Kami of Old Stone

I also threw Trostani, Selesnya's Voice in

(Fell the Mighty is a great boardwipe when you have a bunch of guys with 0-2 power but 5+ toughness out)

Other fun tech like Solidarity, Crenellated Wall and Slagwurm Armor are good.

Also get some trample enablers.
>>
>>51109368
people dont like infect because most people who play EDH are very very bad at magic and dont realize how hard getting 10 infect in actually is and they dont play creatures early because they are bad. in fact infect rarely actually wins games completely making it pretty bad in general. basically anyone who hates infect is bad at deck building and even worse at playing the actual game

im sure some mega casual will come along and tell me about how not fun the deck is soon but that person fails to realize that everything isnt about him and his autism
>>
>>51110192
well first of all i'm impatient as fuck and i like to find my answers and things to do as quickly as possible. phyrexian arena is pretty kimochi if it's a turn 3 drop but otherwise it just feels like a dead draw.

also, it's also related to how monoblack's mana works. mana doublers. sometimes you'll have 5 mana on turn 5. sometimes you'll have 15 mana on turn 5 because you happened to draw into 2 mana doublers. now, if you were to draw into a phyrexian arena with 5 mana and an otherwise gassed out hand, you wouldn't really care, but if the same thing happened with 15 mana then yeah, that's a lot of mana not being used on anything. but drawing an ambition's cost in that situation guarantees that you'll get at least 3 more cards to spend mana on, and if you're lucky and you thinned your deck with tons of cheap card draw spells, the chances are that you drew into even more draw, helping you keep that draw ball rolling.
>>
File: T3RBcA8I.jpg (18KB, 282x282px) Image search: [Google]
T3RBcA8I.jpg
18KB, 282x282px
>Memnarch has Lattice out
>makes the rare mistake of tapping out to steal the Trostani player's board
>My turn, drop a Hellkite Tyrant, slap a Greaves on it, fucking dunk on Memnarch for his entire board state
>Final Motherfucking Fortune for the upkeep win
>Memnarch flips his shit, says my win is unfair
>Remind him of what his commander does
>>
>>51110261
I try not to tutor for the same thing each time, but yeah, it can get kinda repetitive after the 3rd or 4th time
It helps that my playgroup is pretty tutor heavy and we still manage to get fun games tho
>>51110425
I can respect that, i guess I have more of a long game playstyle for the most part in my monoB
>>
File: 1401613603055.png (752KB, 845x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1401613603055.png
752KB, 845x1036px
>>51109368

Honesty, I just don't bother anyone who wants budget help. I always end up suggesting some $3 card and getting screamed at.
>>
What's a good "What the fuck am I casting?" deck?
>>
>>51110577
some kind of spellslinger with red's spell redirection/copy effects, i guess. so either mizzix, wort, the raidmother or melek or something like that
>>
File: Yidris.png (204KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Yidris.png
204KB, 265x370px
>>51110577
>>
>>51110407
Thank you!
>>
File: 281.jpg (28KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
281.jpg
28KB, 500x491px
>>51110680
Thanks
>>
>>51110450
>>Memnarch flips his shit, says my win is unfair
>>Remind him of what his commander does
This is the best

Also props for having the balls to run Final Fortune in general, that's a neat way to speed up a win with the Tyrant
>>
>>51110423
>basically anyone who hates infect is bad at deck building and even worse at playing the actual game

This. I hate Maro as the next guy but Infect is something he did right.
It's powerful but balanced at the same time. Very hard feat to achieve imho.
I have a Skittles and a regular 60 card Infect deck and they win like 50% of their games.
As it should be. Noobs not allowed. We play since Ice Age and no one has ever complained at Infect.
>>
>>51108856
Are you gonna add the AER card? Mechanized assembly i thnk
>>
File: save me.png (244KB, 583x325px) Image search: [Google]
save me.png
244KB, 583x325px
>Play Oloro
>Convince group to ban all infect cards and not use general damage rules.
>They ask me to stop playing Oloro because I always win
>Laugh in their faces and go buy more foils for Oloro

who else /skillz/ here?
>>
File: 1429118901967.png (3MB, 886x1389px) Image search: [Google]
1429118901967.png
3MB, 886x1389px
>>51111466
>can dish out 20+ damage after Wrath thanks to Blood Artist
>yeah, these are all gonna go to Oloro before he's out of reach
>he throws a huge shit fit and won't let me hear the end of it for the rest of the evening
>>
Is Mazirek supposed to be a Voltron deck?
>>
>>51111637
no
>>
>>51110593
...Or Jeleva
>>
>>51111466
>Oloro babby can't handle wincons that can hit him despite being in the best control colors
Man I'm so glad I'm not a whiny bitch
>>
File: 1410434123612.jpg (70KB, 400x443px) Image search: [Google]
1410434123612.jpg
70KB, 400x443px
>>51111680

>tfw my vampire waifu will never be anything but a slut for Doomsday players
>>
>>51111637
Mazirek is supposed to be a combo deck. A fragile, silly combo deck that will win if you don't know what's about to rain down your clownhole. You can build a good combo deck with him, but you need to make sure you win the second your silly 2/2 flying 5 mana bug priest hits the field.
>>
>>51111765
he's memeing
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-01-17-uCo-breya/
Thoughts?

I need one cut, also I still have all of the cards from the pre-con and tons of standard stuff for quick adjustments if you think something is bad/ i need some more of something. Also willing to buy cards but try to keep it reasonably priced
>>
>>51111787
I know
>>
>>51111765

>Being so unskilled you can't sculpt your meta like putty in the hands of a god

You are unworthy of my time.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-01-17-trostani/

thoughts?
>>
File: 1483200322441.jpg (18KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1483200322441.jpg
18KB, 225x225px
Guess who's a motherfucking assistant manager? This guy. This guy with no life who posts all day in this thread. Remember, even the most autistic among us can aspire to a solid life of mediocrity.

What hilarious expensive deck should I buy? I'm thinking, after a full set of fetches/shocks, maybe doomsday grenzo or some sort of ungodly expensive mimeoplasm deck? I'm open to suggestions, it just needs to be fancy.
>>
>>51111765
>Oloro babby can't handle wincons that can hit him despite being in the best control colors
To be fair, he did a pretty good job at controlling his own group.
>>
>>51111916
atraxa super friend :^)
>>
>>51111916
Make a Gonti deck and make it all foil to fit the theme.
>>
>>51111771
Fuck youre're waifu
>>
>>51111993
I want fancy, I don't want boring samey sameness that every Jack, Jill, and Hwang is running.

>>51112025
>Foil Gonti
Is he any good? I mean, I think it would be neat, and I have some major parts I'd need already, but I can't say I've ever seen someone playing it. It does seem very fancy though, and monoblack goodstuff is hard to fuck up.
>>
>>51112106
He's cool. Remember that Gonti doesn't have to be on the field to play the exiled card
>>
>>51112025
No no no
Make a Macar deck and Foil everything BUT him to fit the theme.
>>
>>51112032

I would if she was real and in my basement.
>>
>>51110788
You could do the complete opposite and do malestrom wander + 97 lands
>>
>>51112106
>Is he any good?

you'll goof around abusing his etb for a few turns, casting other people's jank, and when you get bored you'll just panharmonicon a tutored gray merchant onto the table and flicker it once and win instantly

take that as you will
>>
>>51112145
You're right. That's a fancy dancy card there anon. Outside of conjurers closet, are there any ways to reliably flicker him? I think he'd be spicy as all out doors in an Esper deck, but mono black doesn't seem very good at enabling his shenanigans. What kind of deck is a Gonti deck? Like, what should I try and do with him?

>>51112175
Oh my, the flavor! That's an excellent idea, and I already own a non-foil King Macar. Is Macar vehicles any good/fun?

>>51112274
That sounds surprisingly boring. I don't think that would work in a particularly good meta, and if I do wind up spending $2k on frivolous bullshit, I'd like it to be at least interesting frivolous bullshit. I could always just use him as a value goodstuff commander.
>>
>>51112343
Tawnos's Coffin

Expensive AND good synergy
>>
>gutted Melek deck for red parts, made RG Wort
>all these blue cards sitting around taking up space

What to do with all this blue? I was thinking Azami. Or Jace High Tide. I dunno, I've never built mono-blue
>>
>>51112106
Gonti is there if you like making clutch plays, but the deck is generally the same as any other MonoB deck in that your Commander is really Cabal Coffers.

One story I will tell is that my first run of Gonti had me exile an Aethersnatch off a Riku's library. Held onto it for 10 turns when I was able to generate like a billion or something mana. Riku tapped out to have a large board, as well as Transmuting Tolaria West for a Pact of Negation. I combo'd off, and his smug look turned into a face of resentment when I revealed his very own Aethersnatch.
>>
File: vroom vroom.jpg (43KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
vroom vroom.jpg
43KB, 265x370px
>>51112343
>Is Macar vehicles any good
Did they print any good vehicles?

>/fun?
Fuck yes it is!
I powerslide my train into you, untap, turn your shit to Gold, take 6.

Related I want to find a way to break this card. I feel like it could do wonders in an Eggs list but I haven't found a way to make discarding it useful.
>>
>>51112423
So, if I understand correctly, that card says:

3: Exile target creature you control. Counters and auras don't come off as this creature moves to exile. If this card is tapped or removed from play, return all cards exiled by this effect to the battlefield. You may choose not to untap ~ during your upkeep.

>>51112482
>transmuting tolaria west for a pact of negation
You can do that? Neat. I bet he was incredibly salty over that nonsense. Gonti actually sounds pretty fun, particularly in a high powered meta with pixis of pandemonium.
>>
>>51112571
Are there any artifacts that create an artifact once something hits the yard? With infinite mana, he'd combo off nicely with Volrath.

Now do you think Macar Vehicles will be more fun to play than Bosh Pacific Rim (which I've already almost completed, once Aether revolt drops)? I think bosh gets the most bang for your buck, and a robot throwing a robot piloted skyship, then throwing the robot pilot and himself sounds pretty hilarious.
>>
Is it worth it to get all 5 commander 2013 decks for 150 canuck bucks?
>>
>>51112847
>30 bucks per 3 coloured deck
Absolutely. I literally just spent $35 of Marath, and it was totally worth it.
>>
Are the Anthology collections worth it? I really want to try Planechase with my group.
>>
How do I win with a creature-free creature-hate deck?
>>
File: 249975.jpg (52KB, 598x944px) Image search: [Google]
249975.jpg
52KB, 598x944px
>>51111798
I don't wanna spam but I would really appreciate some input lads
>>
File: Boris Devilboon_LG.jpg (59KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Boris Devilboon_LG.jpg
59KB, 312x445px
Who here RAKDOS TOKENS
>>
File: 28.jpg (56KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
28.jpg
56KB, 265x370px
>>51112462
>>
>>51113088
In the 99 of whatever I build, definitely. Maybe Talrand
>>
>>51112462
Arcanis
>>
>>51109396
>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mina-and-denn-mld-1/
What is th point of Inferno Titan?
Same for chandra pyromaster?

Other than that it seems okay. I've never done gruul aggro so I can't say too much other than I'd personally want more non-creature removal.
>>
File: sorin 2.jpg (171KB, 535x600px) Image search: [Google]
sorin 2.jpg
171KB, 535x600px
>>51112590
Buddy, you don't know the half of it with one of the playgroups I frequent. Here's another story with a different guy, but in same group.
>Play Gonti
>Table has a Nin Artifacts deck, a Roon Blinkstuff deck, and an Aurelia Voltron
>Knowing full well Roon deck has only good stuff and instant speed answers, I target him first.
>The player himself gets all bitchy because he hates having his cards stolen
>See a Path to Exile, keep it.
>Do it to him yet again, this time a Time Warp. Keep it while hearing him huff and moan.
>Decide to """""""play nice""""""".
>Nin player gets Blightsteel and swings it to the Roon player, I Path to Exile it. "YOUR WELCOME."
>Roon player suddenly happy, go figure.
>Roon takes revenge on Nin player, Aurelia dies as well.
>Down to me and Roon. Cast Gray Merchant, it's countered. Reanimate Gray Merchant for a 10 life swing, then Time Warp
>Roon's attitude 180's and he becomes a major bitch yet again
>Next turn, Conjurer's Closet for the finishing blow.
>"Hey, your deck played really well :^)"
>>
>>51112747
While Macar can do a lot of interesting tap/untap shenanigans, at the end of the day it's really just an aggro deck in a control shell.

Bosh on the other had... Fling is my second favorite card ever printed. So FlingBot throwing around jets and robots sounds fucking radical.
>>
>>51110407
>>51110132
Yoked oxen and Tassled Dromedary are basically vanilla 4/4's for W in doran.
>>
>>51111466
You sound terrible. What's the point of winning if you have to play on easy mode?
>>
>>51113175
Oh shit I have one of him. What's the win? Smash shit with Psychosis Crawler?
>>
>>51112462
Talrand Polymorph is pretty fun. Has that nice mix of permission control and big beats.
>>
>Played 2hg last night
>got the other person with a nekusar deck and we both decide to play him
>I had marcheas decree and everlasting toment
>he had overburden and spiteful visions
>they had a phyrexian arena and took the monarch
>we both cast nekusar
>28 damage at upkeep
felt so good being so degenerate
>>
>>51112949
you can planechase for free online
>>
>>51112949
Yes, the Planechase deck is worth it alone it keeps the games interesting.

The four decks inside are also pretty nice, I'm keeping mine together to make it like a party game, but you can easily strip them for good parts or upgrade any of the legendaries to full EDH decks.
>>
>>51112949

You can download an app that does the same thing as a planeschase deck.
>>
>>51112949
Its fun, if you get it for less than 100 bucks its worth it.
>>
>>51112949
just download the free app anon

i honestly would have bought the anthology if it were cheaper and only came with the plane chase cards, wizards fucks up yet another product
>>
File: smugcop.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
smugcop.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
So should I pick up a pic related once its price goes down for RW tokens? You can animate it off a single soldier token and get draw-discard in colors that doesn't come easily in.
>>
>>51113785
depends on how cheap it is. if it drops down to like 2 buck then yes but if it stays around 5 i would avoid it simply because it just doesnt do more than other 3 drops
>>
>>51113868
it's a two drop
>>
>>51113380

I wouldn't agree to those rules changes but I don't think they would affect my ability to beat an oloro deck, either win with an infinite combo in some decks or a ludicrous amount of combat damage in other decks
>>
>>51112949
yes it's worth a buy if you can get it for less than 100. I got mine for 95 and it was worth every penny
>>
How good is OG Drana as a commander?

She looks like a very solid Voltron commander, since she has a built-in pump AND removal
>>
>>51114106
Really strong, just slap some boots on her and dump all your mana
>>
>>51114106

She's good, I wouldn't go too heavy on the voltron support though, with a bunch of equipment and what not, I think she works better as a big mana black control deck repeatable removal in the command zone, no need to rush toward those commander damage kills ASAP with her
>>
>>51112343
There's cloudstone curio.
>>
>>51113883
ya but you have to crew it which effectively makes it cost at least 3
>>
>>51109785
>They reinforce the feeling of suicidally attacking until one of us dies
Dark Prophecy is also good for that kind of feel
Reminder that you can donate your bloodgift card to damage someone for Rakdos
>>
>>51111466
>playing oloro
>worrying about infect

somehow i sense you are just bad at magic if that is true
>>
>>51113785
>>51113883
>>51113868
well apparently its banned as fuck in standard now so its probably about to plummet in price
>>
>>51114531
That is why I asked, yes.
>>
>>51114544
ya sorry i didnt know it was banned, it will probably go down to almost nothing so it at least wont lose you much money if it sucks.i still dont think its that good though
>>
>>51114531
It's not banned. Why would it be?
>>
>>51114898
check B+R updates then
>>
>>51114898

>It's not banned. Why would it be?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-9-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-01-09
>>
>>51114898
>Artifact blocks always result in ridiculous emergency bans in Standard
I fucking love artifacts and how Wizards always fucks them up
>>
>>51115175
>as if copter is actually ban worthy
>as if reflector mage is actually a big problem without coco
>as if emrakul winning the game is a bad thing

fuck the dci, they're worthless pieces of shit
>>
File: 1461272858310.jpg (32KB, 256x123px) Image search: [Google]
1461272858310.jpg
32KB, 256x123px
>>51115213
>Guys let's design an incredibly powerful card capable of winning the game when it's cast.
>Brilliant!
>Guys, that card we designed to win the game is winning the game too much, let's ban it.
>Brilliant!
>>
>>51115213
>Copter
>Not banworthy
>When it's in 62% of every deck in the meta
>>
>>51114898
it was banned because it was put into quite literally every standard deck and no deck that couldnt deal with it was viable
>>
File: 100.jpg (105KB, 739x742px) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
105KB, 739x742px
>>51111599
>>51111765
>>51113380
>>51114529
>>
>>51114898
>>51115121
>to improve and diversify the Standard environment
HA
HA
HA

Time to get a playset for casual
>>
>>51113785
It's probably going to maintain price since Frontier is a thing. Worst it'll be is $3 or so.
>>
>>51115121
>tfw I dont give a shit about standard
>tfw happy because I can finally buy an emrakul for my rakdos deck and a copter for my alesha deck without spending $20 a piece
>>
>>51113056
cut hellkite igniter
>>
>>51115518
>since Frontier is a thing
Bu it's not.
>>
File: 126466_200w.jpg (28KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
126466_200w.jpg
28KB, 200x285px
shuko has a new friend
>>
>>51115535
He's one of my few cards that actually win the game so I was kinda iffy about it, what would you add instead?
>>
>>51115535
>>51115710
>>51115710
scratch that forgot i needed a cut
>>
>>51108856
Just make it five color and put in Maze's End
>>
File: 1460430059358.jpg (47KB, 330x315px) Image search: [Google]
1460430059358.jpg
47KB, 330x315px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-07-15-playtime-is-ogre/

>mfw I have actually used Liquimetal Coating and Metallic Mastery to gain control of a basic swamp and yell THIS IS MAH SWAMP
>>
Found this in my cards and I was thinking 4 mana to ramp myself and slow down an opponent in mono blue isn't to bad right? Plus I like taking people's shit.
>>
>>51115919
its meh, feels real good when you steal like a maze of ith or something though
>>
>>51108856
Gay Kings are in all the best colors for this stuff. And they're geared well towards pillowfort/group hug, so you can help everyone out while slowly building to a bullshit wincon
>>
>>51115871
>urza lands in EDH
>>
>>51116085
There are 15 colored spells in the deck, commander included. Sure, I don't always assemble tron, but they're usually no worse than a basic.
>>
I think my monoblack is really well tuned. I was wanting to branch out to another color -- probably white -- due to black's non-interaction with artifacts and enchantments. But I'm struggling to make the switch.
>>
>>51108856
Medomai the Ageless seems like a strong choice though only being 2 colors limits your wincon options
And getting Barren Glory to work in WU is a bitch
But the ability to get an extra turn then drop your wincon and autowin is hard to match
>>
>>51111798
>>51113056

cut:
filigree familiar - bad solemn
chief of the foundry - you are not making that many tokens
contraband kingpin - that scrying is not that good
filigree angel - lifegain for 8 mana is meh
master of etherium - just a big dude
aetherflux reservoir - ???
tinker - its banned

add:
kuldotha forgemaster - tutor on a stick
goblin welder - daretti -2 on a stick that can be used to mess up with opponents' artifacts
treasure mage - trinket mage's sibling
thopter spy network - card draw and token generation for free
phyrexian arena - card draw
thirst for knowledge - card draw and you can set up reanimation
hanna, ship's navigator - get back your sacc'd artifacts
magister sphinx - because we like putting people at 10 life repeatedly
inventor's fair - tutor on a land

non-budget adds:
blightsteel colossus
academy ruins
tezzeret the seeker
master transmuter
wurmcoil engine
>>
>>51116382
Combine it with Tomorrow and drop a Possessed Portal for Barren Glory win.
I'm thinking about going WUG for alt-wincons. G gives access to Biovisionary.
>>
>>51116347
do you want to add white to your deck or build something different?
>>
>>51116655
>aetherflux reservoir - ???
It combos with Sydri, give it lifelink and dome the table
>>
Reposting a request for an Ayli Cleric Tribal list, please
>>
>>51116744
I'm trying to add white, but I like mono-B commanders like Sidisi and Erebos so much it's hard giving them up just so I can trade Scour from Existence for Utter End or whatever.
>>
>>51116985
>Utter End
Get that shit out of here.
>>
Were you just jerking around about not putting in things that cost more than five?
>>
>>51117018
ya but who are you quoting
>>
>>51115871
Anon, you might want to up your land count a bit. You have 34 lands with an above 4cmc average, plus two of those lands aren't even usable early game.
Also Expedition Map is dying to be included
>>
>>51116905
true but only if you already have more than 50 life which seems tough in a deck that not dedicated to gaining life.
>>
>>51116940
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ayli-100th-cmdzone-episode/

clerics are shit
>>
>>51117055
You just quoted me, that was quoting. What I referred to was a statement made within the thread.
>>
>>51117101
Well I don't think it will happen everytime I slam it down but I think I have enough lifegain to make it worth including. I mean it's fair to say I'm including it because I like it and not because it's optimal and I'm okay with that. At worst it's passive lifegain and another thing to sac without much damage to my board state
>>
>>51117164
Thanks
>>
>>51117090
Also the new reprint of it aether revolt might be useful.
>>
Is it bad that I want to build a super-resilient deck that can just beat the shit out my group? I want to be the supervillain of the table when I break it out.
>>
>>51117918
Well do you value longer games or shorter?
>>
plz tell me how to improve this deck
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/leave-my-planeswalkers-alone/
>>
>>51118173
Why no Darreti?
>>
Looking to put reanimator strats into nuMarchesa, anyone got any good options other than Alesha?
>>
>>51117193
Yes, but you didn't libk to said post so nobody knew what you were talking about
>>
>>51116985
White/Black opens up a whole box of options, a staple being Merciless Eviction, literally no reason to not take that in a white/black deck.
>>
>>51118218
He seemed unnecessary with two tezzies and swahili reeeee
>>
>>51108856
cloning Biovisionary or that new artifact thing, while building up Maze's End, and a Helix Pinnacle. You could certainly do it in Simic but 5 color sounds good for Maze's End or even Door to Nothingness.

Fuck it, just build a Door to Nothingness deck.
>>
>>51118277
Sun titan?
>>
>>51118098
Long enough. Not the games that drag out for 3 hours but not ones that are over in 25 minutes either
>>
>>51118277
>nuMarchesa
What is the appeal of her? She seems really generic to me
>>
>>51118562
Powerful card draw and nasty deathtouch tokens to get it back. She's a powerful pick for control and combo strategies alike, and supports a wide range of sub-strategies thanks to her draw power freeing up at least a few spots in the deck devoted to draw.
>>
>>51109399
Kothophed, Soul Hoarder + Pestilence effects = high speed card draw against tokens or small creatures. Works with opponents sac lands too!

Whip of Erebos or Lifelink enablers will help quite a bit from self damage or getting beat on.

Last time I played Rakdos, I got targeted because of just dropping Demons left and right after combat. Also, anything that makes your big creatures unblockable will be helpful (Shadow, Flying, Swampwalk+Urborg). Once Rakdos is on the board, you need to go full bore at your opponents.
>>
>>51111466
friend of mine started Oloro and convinced the other player in the 3 player game that I was more of a threat...playing non-competitive Jhoira. Dealt 30 something damage in a turn with Riddle of Lightning but damn I was salty about O 'lol what life gain?' loro.
>>
Question: If I cast World at War and cascade into Relentless Assault what happens? Do I gain 2 extra combat steps and main phases or just 1?
>>
>>51111916
Just build a vintage singleton tier Storm/Doomsday combo
>>
>emrakul got banned in standard

welp looks like its time to pick him up
>>
>>51118835
Wait for frontier to bite it too for extra savings :3
>>
>>51118772
2, same as cascading Part the Waterveil into Time Warp
>>
>>51118876
Thanks, for some reason despite the fact that I usually take extra turn after extra turn I didn't think that through.
>>
File: en_vpvtSxqjtz.png (194KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_vpvtSxqjtz.png
194KB, 265x370px
What are some impactfull carda in group slug kaerevk that don't cost a billion mana and aren't artifact ramp, I feel that my deck is way outta wacky with its curve
>>
>>51118696
>30 something damage in a turn with Riddle of Lightning
How the fuck, that's awesome
>>
>>51117918
If thats what you want you may as well ask them to include Archenemy decks, that way you can literally be the supervillain
>>
>>51118872
frontier is an already solved and failed format though
>>
>>51115919
I like stealing permanents too, but most aura-dependant steals are pretty bad, except for Treachery for example. I run Control Magic in my Hanna, but that's because it's cheapest aura steal on effective permanent type and I can recur it easily with Hanna anyway.
I find that using such tricks are too little impact to be of any use.
>>
>>51118872
>frontier

My LGS did a frontier event and literally no one showed up for it. Funniest thing I ever saw at that place.
>>
>>51118696
>Riddle of Lightning
I just cracked one of those and knew it was good. Vial Smasher here I come!
>>
Would it be a smart move by Wizards to print something along the lines of the Masters sets, but for EDH? Reprints in such a set would most likely be highly flexible and common thanks to the format's playerbase generally being more casual and the sheer number of good EDH cards that could use reprinting.
>>
>>51119064
you mean like the yearly commander sets that have all the staples and needed reprints in them for the most part?
>>
>>51107673
I have a snow mountain wtf
>>
>>51119129
I think he means boosters. Which is a bad idea.
>>
>>51119292
honestly there are probably too many cards in EDH for that to really work out well
>>
>>51119064
Isn't putting commander cards in boosters what conspiracy is for?
>>
File: eb0.png (298KB, 500x407px) Image search: [Google]
eb0.png
298KB, 500x407px
>>51111902
im sorry
>>
>>51119456
why?
>>
>>51119400
Conspiracy would be the best commander boosters if it weren't for the useless-except-for-drafting rares that seem to be in half of my fucking packs.
>>
File: eh.png (53KB, 302x325px) Image search: [Google]
eh.png
53KB, 302x325px
>>51119478
Dude I was so pumped for one draft-only rare and I got it but I never even drew it that draft, also seeing those things sit in my box triggers me so hard knowing I can never use them even though I won't use most of my bulk anyway atleast I can.

Guess I should build a cube or something
>>
>>51119478
thats the point of conspiracy though, its supposed to be a drafted set. im pretty sure WotC has actually said that before
>>
File: 1352070675927.png (56KB, 620x743px) Image search: [Google]
1352070675927.png
56KB, 620x743px
>>51119478
>tfw can't even get my friends to do one Conspiracy fun times draft because they worry about the "draft-only" cards
>half my group throws money at Standard booster boxes every time a new set comes out
>>
>>51119567
>Wizards puts out Masters sets with bullshit rarity shifts
>"it's for the heath of the draft environment"
>then they make a set specifically for drafting that's better for drafting in almost every way

I don't understand these people sometimes
>>
>>51119345
Well, judging from the all decks I've seen including my own from eons ago, there's a massive pool, including literally trash rares and over 100$ cards not to mention reserved list.
There's no good way to do it. There's way more rares and uncommons being played than commons, too, so normal booster wouldn't be possible.
>>
>>51119473
nobody really responded
>>
>>51118284
it was a past thread. so aegis angel is stupid compared to avacyn?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/allegiance-to-the-throne/

Hot off the presses. Give me your dankest tech imaginable
>>
>>51119718
Heroes' Podium?
>>
>>51115213
>liking a mandatory 4-of in basically every viable deck
>liking White-Blue Creature-Instants, when Essence Flux and Panharmonicon exist
>Emmy... okay actually I don't care that much about Emmy, but only because I sold my foil copy back when she was worth a damn

I bet you're one of the people playing Flash Faggots, aren't you.

>actually caring about cards being banned in standard in EDH general
>>
>>51119620
they could do it if they wanted to, with the amount of money wizards makes they could get a second printing facility and just churn out old sets. like literally just reprint the entire set and sell those individually by the box. they could hire another company to distribute it and figuring out what sets print number would be easy data analysis to keep it all pretty much topped off. or they could just make magic digital next not a steaming pile of dog shit and push the living shit out of that
>>
>>51119771
I'd have rather seen Gideon or Queller banned than Reflector.
>>
File: 20161125_153847.jpg (174KB, 720x714px) Image search: [Google]
20161125_153847.jpg
174KB, 720x714px
Why is /edh/ always the best mtg general
>>
>>51120839
Most diverse format, modern/standard players are way too autistic for their own good bless there hearts
>>
>>51120839
Consistency. Certain quality posters make this general a nice place, and the shitposters are super basic.
>>
whats some secret tech for trostani
>>
File: IMG_4237.png (161KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4237.png
161KB, 223x311px
What are some cards i should include in selvala? I already want big (x) casting cost creatures and spells but since i havnt played much mono green im not very aware of what it can or likes to do.
>>
>>51118562
politics
>>
>>51120991
Forests
>>
File: Breya.png (205KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Breya.png
205KB, 265x370px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-the-pain-artist-artifacts-3/
So this is my Nin, the Pain Artist deck that I've been working on for a couple of years. For the most part: I'm pretty satisfied with it. Paradox Engine and Quicksmith Spy being cards I think will work out pretty well.

I've been wondering though: How much of this deck would have to be changed to make it a pic related deck? I've always thought Breya was cool but I feel like adding Black and White would clog up the deck so much. I've also heard that Breya decks usually fuck up by adding too many combos in its deck rather than sticking with 2 or 3.

I definately have the cards to make a Breya deck happen with the exception of Krark-Klan Ironworks, but yeah, Breya players, how different would the transition be?
>>
>>51121042
Cant even play any bears if i dont have forests.
>>
>>51120991
Myr superion
>>
>>51121015
Fair enough, I think I'll stick to old Marchesa personally
>>
File: 1329984435956.gif (681KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1329984435956.gif
681KB, 800x800px
>ordered the rest of the cards to finish out Slobad
>said fuck it and paid the extra 5 bucks for priority shipping so they're here by the weekend

This deck is going to be so much fun against my group
>>
>>51120991
for starters, big green spells

tooth and nail
selvala's stampede
craterhoof behemoth
terastodon
zendikar resurgent

>I already want big (x) casting cost creatures

hydra broodmaster
primordial hydra
genesis hydra
genesis wave
chord of calling
green sun's zenith

obligatory lands:

nykthos
wirewood lodge

value spells:
primal command
eternal witness
>>
File: zada.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
zada.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
Thinking of building Zada.
How do I recover from boardwipes?
>>
>>51121076
What do you gain buy by adding 2 colors?
>>
>>51121309
Run Chandra's and wheels to refuel your hand?
>>
>>51121318
You tell me. So far I only see Sun Titan, Nahiri the Harbinger (for Blightsteel), Sharuum/Sculpting Steel and Marionette Master. Question is: does it justify adding two more colors?
>>
>>51121309
eldrazi monument
>>
>>51121309
you really can't. run psedo card draw with wheel of fortune, reforge the soul, skullclamp and memory jar to make it not as bad

but pic related can always make them think twice about messing with your board
>>
>>51121339
I'll have to get more, then. Damn. I might have too many red decks.
>>
>>51121366
Unless you want to rebuild your mana base for probably ~10-15 cards and basically just turn it into artifact goodstuff, I'd say don't.
>>
Which commander would best scratch my Timmy/Johnny itch? Leaning towards Thromok but I'm not sure
>>
>>51121309
Boardwipes are tricky. Otherworldly Outburst is a good response to a boardwipe. Eldrazi Monument is also a good card to deal with "destroy all creature" spells.

The best defense I have when playing Zada is to pace how many creature I play each turn. If I pace how the army gets built up, then I can usually go for broke on one turn.
>>
>>51121246
What are some good ways to fill out the rest of the 99? Maybe put in some elf lords and token makers or something?
>>
>bring a proxy commander deck
>very obvious proxies
>people refuse to play

Was it autism?
>>
>>51121318
Breya
>>
>>51121621
I would also get upset that you didn't even spend a few extra bucks to make them look somewhat authentic.

Its especially triggering when someone proxies up shit like Mana Drain or other busted cards
>>
>>51120949
i like to think of myself as both a deeply invested effortposter and an avid shitposter at times
>>
>>51121557
Ghave was looking pretty righteous
>>
>>51121684
>guy in my group uses proxy full art foil duals and has no intention of ever buying real ones

i hate this shit they look fucking awful
>>
>>51121786
Think of yourself however you'd like, at least you aren't the one guy who got pity tutored in trolling on Christmas then never came back.
>>
>>51121787
I lost my friends because of ghave
>>
>>51120839
>he wasn't here for the Stax/totalitarian LGS thread
>>
>>51121863
Thromok looks cool, tone it done or pick a hot chick
>>
>>51121621
hard to say without the full story.

>anon plays a deck with nearly every card proxied, without art, description, etc.

i would probably be a bit annoyed too, but

>anon proxied a few expensive staples like mana crypt etc. to compete with the table's high power level

i'd be fine with it. i don't know what it is that really causes people to hate proxies. it's not really the players' fault that wotc refuses to reprint a bunch of format staples and i think it's actually irresponsible to buy them as a consumer. just proxy them until they're reprinted.

but how about this?

>play a deck with gold-bordered cards
>someone refuses to play EDH with you because the "cards aren't real"

how autistic is that?
>>
>>51121684
>Its especially triggering when someone proxies up shit like Mana Drain or other busted cards
>getting mad about a $155 proxy

Not all of us are swimming in dough. The EDH deck I want to play costs north of 1000 simply because I don't have the cards from the last 8 years to play with.
>>
>>51121863
if not hyperbole story please i like to read about when this happens.
>>
>>51121903
Then do what everyone else does and don't play those cards.

If your group somehow shells out thousands of dollars on EDH, they've lost the spirit of EDH, which is just beer league with magic cards.

People who take EDH this seriously are nothing short of shitty spike players who feel the need to win every game.
>>
>>51121899
>>51121903
So is it worse to proxy expensive cards or cheap ones?
>>
>>51121903
Speaking for me personally, I'm fine with proxies as long as they don't look like shit, and you're matching the power level of the table.
If you're the guy dropping Mana Drain and everyone else is using Cancel, just read the table and pull out a different deck.
I myself proxy, but just for staples that I don't want to buy 5x of, and have at least one of. The money I would've spent on Lightning Greaves could've gotten me a few good cards for another deck.
>>
>>51121899
TLdr version
>buy 2016 commander
>get stomped
>find a fun list with saskia
>print that shit out
>paper doesn't cover the whole card whatever
>gluestick that shit
>full color
>alternative art, judge promos, etc
>dual lands
>mana crypt
>gaias cradle
>GB sword

Thinking about proxing squirrels next but I'm indifferent about it because no one seemed to have that much fun playing as everyones decks were at various power levels.
>>
>>51121955
You can have varying power levels across groups dickbag. If you can't handle the singleton legacy heat don't step in the singleton legacy kitchen. Just like I'm not gonna play a 1k+ deck with my casual drinking buddies. The rule of thumb is always approach the deck with a deck of appropriate level, don't demand the group change to your whims.
>>
>>51121989
it's not bad to proxy anything if you're smart about it. usually you should only be proxying something to test it out or because you haven't gotten your hands on the card yet. playing with proxies does suck a bit for everyone involved if you don't do a good job with them. harder to read what the card does, harder to identify it on the board, etc.

it's more about whether you need to proxy something or not. think long and hard if you actually do need that Force of Will proxy or not. does your group run the spell themselves? do they ramp up to combos with expensive ramp cards? if not, then you probably won't need to proxy anything.

i personally see someone who proxies expensive power cards in a casual table to be just as bad as someone who actually buys them and plays them. actually, someone who buys them is usually even worse because it will be nigh impossible to convince them not to play those cards because they'll start yapping about how everyone is a poorfag unlike him who spent his monthly neetbux on a piece of cardboard.

i personally don't proxy anything myself because i love the feeling of owning cards, but i don't really like to play expensive cards either so it works especially well for me. my friend offered me an expensive card from his collection and i just told him nope, i don't want to run any since they feel bad to play against
>>
>>51121878
Are those 2 separate thread? I don't remember the stax one but the Stalinist LGS was fucking incredible. It just never stopped getting worse and everyone was along for the ride
>>
So im almost done with this project of mine. I had about 219 cards when I started now I'm down to my current 99. I need to work some more counterspells in here to make sure I can protect my game plan. What do I take out? Any other pointers would be nice..

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/many-birds-with-arms/
>>
>>51120949
This is the only general I consistently post in for those exact reasons. I also love the feedback that gets given in this thread because it's usually of a decent quality. Its also nice whenever I link a deck and people enjoy it (Junkybrewster is my tappedout name).
>>
>>51122140
Junkybrewster! I've actually seen a few of your decks before! That's awesome. Small world!
>>
>>51121989
I think its fine for both, given that its for testing a deck. I would hate to buy a deck, and find out the 20 dollar card just isn't preforming as well as I had hoped or that the deck just doesn't mesh with me, I only wasted the ink printing them. I get the hatred of them, which is why I announce that I have proxys in the deck, and if people have issues I pull out another deck or I pull them out and put other cards in
>>
>>51122063
you can build a pretty good deck on a budget. and you shouldn't netdeck either. i can understand why people would be upset with you, but it's not really your own fault since you're seemingly new to the format.

in this situation, proxying is a good call if you aren't nerdy enough to install xmage and playtest your deck online. just check which cards cost 300 dollars (gaea's cradle) and which don't and drop them out for now, because your group obviously doesn't run 300 dollar cards. clarify to your group that you're only running proxies until you're satisfied with how your deck works.

EDH as a format only really works if all 4 players get together and make sure everyone else is having fun. make sure your deck isn't obnoxiously expensive/powerful compared to your group, or pitifully weak. it's a little harder to make a powerful deck on a budget since you can't cheat with expensive cards but it's still very much doable. just last saturday my 100 dollar deck stomped my friend's 500 dollar deck in a 3man pod.
>>
>>51122010
Objectively wrong. The universal rule is that you can proxy anything you own one copy of, or anything you intend on purchasing at the earliest opportunity. You deserved to be smacked for wasting money on a cardboard pretend game, then proxying fake cardboard because real cardboard is too expensive. Just don't use it you entitled child.

If the card is under 10 bucks, no one will really care. Proxying mana drain makes you an irredeemable cunt, particularly when you talk about building decks at different power levels. I play budget decks in far more expensive metal and consistently clobber people who've spent 3 or 4 times as much, and that's the best part of EDH.
>>
>>51122158
Idk if you are but I showed an anon my Nath deck because they wanted ideas. I hope it helped, he's such a bomb commander.
>>
>Melek on board
>Mystical Tutor Ignite Memories to top
>storm count up to 13
>Ignite Memories into Reverberate
>everyone at the table has a 2 mana card at most in their hand

>lose next turn

At least I had fun while it lasted
>>
File: 1476540573360.png (182KB, 481x511px) Image search: [Google]
1476540573360.png
182KB, 481x511px
>>51122190
Read my post again, carefully this time.
>>
>>51122224
Thanks senpai I realized the second I posted that I was completely wrong.

I apologize and will go to bed out of embarrassment. I swear I read something completely different the first time.
>>
>>51122190
>entitled
please don't use this word in this context. wotc fucks the players in the ass constantly with their printing memery and a bunch of cards cost ridiculous amounts as a consequence. atraxa is like 20 bucks now despite being released like a month back. if you buy atraxa for its current price, you are a dope and actively supporting wotc's dumb secondary market hype schemes.
>>
>>51122247
Its okay everyone makes mistakes on Mongolian cave painting displays.
>>
>>51122259
Then don't play atraxa? It's not hard, you don't see people whining about leovold because they know it's broken.
>>
>>51121878
Jesus Christ I just read through that thread again and it's completely fucking insane. That poor Slav is being held hostage by his LGS.
>>
>>51122116
>>51122282
Got a link?
>>
File: gitgudfrog.jpg (11KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
gitgudfrog.jpg
11KB, 190x265px
After payday I bought some fetches for my gitrog deck, any suggestions on what to replace?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-frog-is-loose/
>>
>>51122273
>Then don't play atraxa

why? if you like her design then just proxy her until they reprint her. it's not like she's even super overpowered and costs a lot because of that, wotc just didn't print her enough.

>but muh entitlements and muh stealing

literally who gives a shit. wotc deserves to get fucked for not fucking the secondary market, and the secondary market deserves to get fucked for fucking the consumer. it needs to not be okay to pull this shit constantly on the consumer and proxying stuff is a good way to send a message to wotc about it.
>>
>>51121878
Don't forget to run 29 lands and dark ritual in your Anowan deck.
>>
>>51122294
Sure do, here you go
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48993430/#48995552

It's something special, and that anon will go down in The Great Big Book of /edh/ Fuck-Ups
>>
>>51122343
>wotc deserves to get fucked for not fucking the secondary market

meant that wotc deserves to get fucked for fucking with the secondary market

i'm fumingly angry so i cant write correctly haha
>>
>>51122361
Thanks anon!
>>
>>51122361
Anon delivers.
>>
>>51121579
>Maybe put in some elf lords

no. leave that for elf tribal.

>token makers

sure. there is avenger of zendikar and mycoloth.

you want big creatures to make a shiton of mana to play more big spells. add ramp cards, card draw and pretty much green goodstuff or some expensive colorless spells.

here, go nuts

https://edhrec.com/commanders/selvala-heart-of-the-wilds
>>
File: POST 'EM.png (2MB, 1000x6120px) Image search: [Google]
POST 'EM.png
2MB, 1000x6120px
I run a single proxied card in my Queen Marchesa deck simply because I don't have a good way of getting my hands on the card and probably won't for quite a while. (It's Recruiter of the Guard). As it is, I don't actually intend to get the card (our group has more or less fallen apart, a lot of people go to a different LGS because our commander group tended to be more casual than they liked and the casuals care more about standard... and I'm one of the casual-level players, though I don't actually care for standard), on top of it being 15 dollars and not being able to make online orders conveniently for a while. I want an Athreos for the deck too, but I'm not proxying that because it's not core to the operation of the deck.

Honestly I'd love to get my hands on some chink proxies of broken, expensive cards, if only because I'll never buy the real thing- outside of holidays and other shit, I don't spend over ten bucks on a single, and I generally don't buy a lot of product. I'm lucky if I can swing each prerelease and a couple drafts. Currently a NEET poorfag who's using government money to get a technical degree, so maybe one day I'll be able to afford my own hobby.

I make sure people know I'm running a proxy beforehand and shuffle up a different deck if anyone's got a problem with it.

Also, why the fuck not, post 'em.
>>
>>51122136
Looks fine to me. Maybe cut Cathars crusade for a cryptic command. Have you thought about adding elesh norn?
>>
>>51122401
Template?
>>
>>51122430
Uhh, I don't really have one. Just copy-pasted the Gatherer images and put text beside them in Paint, outside of the bars I made and included at the bottom.

As for the font I used, it's Palatino Linotype, and all the colors are basic ones Paint has ready already. It's probably a hassle to save such a huge image just to grab stuff out of it, but since the only useful thing is the bars anyway, I don't really want to make a second post for it.

Honestly it's a pretty shitty template because no one will notice it unless it's the first >post 'em.
>>
File: The-Shout-of-Grace1-268x300.jpg (17KB, 268x300px) Image search: [Google]
The-Shout-of-Grace1-268x300.jpg
17KB, 268x300px
>mfw re-reading Aetherworks Marvel and realizing it says "permanent"
Holy shit. SLOBAD HERE WE COME

Can't wait for free Blightsteels and Darksteel Forges
>>
File: yisan.png (143KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
yisan.png
143KB, 223x310px
How do I build the Wandering swarm lord of 'scoops to board wipes'?

He seems like a fun guy to use.
>>
>>51122361
Jesus fuck, thats full blown out Stockholm Syndrome. And I thought my LGS was bad for barely paying attention to commander
>>
>>51122563
Genesis helps against board wipes,
>>
File: dude minecraft lmao.jpg (80KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
dude minecraft lmao.jpg
80KB, 312x445px
Can you run this card in anything?
I'm thinking of putting it in a Zada deck I'm making that might just have too many lands. Plus, I think it's kinda neat, although I really would be much happier if that first clause weren't there.
>>
>>51123029
Zeduru the Greathearted, maybe a Jund land list centered around Gitrog and Angry Omnath?
>>
>>51123029
Last gamble with Angry Omnath/Titania.
>75% lands in play
>no more big land drops to make
>sacrifice lands to get more elementals and dig for win cons
>>
>>51122563
As a general rule, i never drops creatures from my hand until after the first board wipe, that way you can quickly reestablish your board presence.
a good first two yisan triggers are sakura tribe scout+scryb ranger or quirion ranger+walking atlus. you can use scryb/quirion triggers on each opponents turns to bounce a tapped forest, untap your tribe scout or walking atlus, and put it back into play untaped, which can give you extra yisan triggers.
Acidic slime>brutalizer exarch>X> terastodon or woodfall primus can hit 4 to 5 lands.
spore frog, dawnstrider, spike weaver, haze frog, and timbermare are your friends.
primal surge should win you the game.
other then that just fill your deck with toolbox/good stuff creatures and support cards.
>>
>>51123029
Bobo enraged, has worked for me, considering I just sac a land each turn and shell people to death
>>
Rules question, if I put a clever impersonator into the battlefield using sneak attack, then make it a copy of sneak attack, do I sacrifice my new sneak attack at EoT?
>>
>>51123922
Yes
>>
>introduce dwarf/vehicle tribal commander
>2 of the 3 new pilots are humans
>almost all the dwarfs are built around attacking
>only one new usable dwarf for a deck

Man fuck you wizards.
>>
>>51123958
She was not intended for commander, just like vehicles.

New monowhite guy looks like a G for the same archetype though.
>>
>>51110342
>goldfishing my yahenni deck
>turn 7, cabal coffers and magus of the coffers on board, tap them and swamps for 17 mana floating
>cast diabolic tutor, tutor sidisi, cast it, give all my creatures persist with cauldron of souls, exploit sidisi with herself, tutor for dark ritual, sidisi comes back, exploit herself, tutor for grave betrayal, cast dark ritual, cast life's finale from hand
>everyone's hypothetical creatures are now mine and my yahenni is like a 14/14 probably

spicy
>>
>>51115175
artifacts are the best!
>>
>>51124044
Maro stated in a Blogatog post that she was an attempt for "something different" for Boros commanders.
>>
>>51124413
poor attempt then.
>>
>>51119606
gotta keep the card values up to protect the investors
>>
>>51124082
damn dude that's some pretty magical christmas land shit
>>
>>51124574
won't someone please think of those poor investors??? imagine buying out Berserk in USA completely and then have your scheme ruined by WotC just because they wanted to cater to "players" ie. the most poorfag and degenerate demographic in the people who buy magic cards
>>
>>51124598
surprisingly not really. there's like 7 mana doublers available for black, not that rare to stumble upon 2 of them in the mulligan or early turn phase
>>
File: Foster_MM.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Foster_MM.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
Would this be any good for an ishkanah deck
>>
>>51124638
>cabal coffers
>magus of the coffers
>cauldron of souls
>diabolic tutor
>life's finale
it's like a 5 card combo for a relatively unimpressive effect
>>
>>51124646
if you run enough creatures it might be decent
>>
>>51124646
Looks like a crappy Evolutionary Leap, but they do go to your graveyard so it could be good if you have a lot of recursion/reanimation.
>>
File: kalitas_traitor_of_ghet.jpg (37KB, 251x356px) Image search: [Google]
kalitas_traitor_of_ghet.jpg
37KB, 251x356px
do you think pic related will go down in price to maybe about 10 bucks when he cycles out?
how frequently doeshe se modern play?
>>
>>51125525
He sees pretty extensive modern play, and I think that he's also used in legacy, but don't quote me on that. I don't think he will get much cheaper, if at all.
>>
>>51124662
it was spicy you fuck

also how is cabal coffers or magus of the coffers combo pieces in your head? are islands combo pieces when you flicker palinchron with deadeye navigator??? is merchant scroll a combo piece when you tutor for high tide for palinchron memery??? are you a dummy??
>>
>>51126482
>>51126482
New thread
>>
File: mining.png (82KB, 948x443px) Image search: [Google]
mining.png
82KB, 948x443px
>>51123029
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.