[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GNS Theory is widely known to be kind of shit. That's true.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: water_simulation_smaller.png (142KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
water_simulation_smaller.png
142KB, 600x390px
GNS Theory is widely known to be kind of shit. That's true. But that doesn't mean that the three "categories" don't still refer to purposes or goals that a gamer (or a game designer) may have in mind. A person can want to play an RPG because he or she wants a challenge, because he or she wants to experience a story, or because he or she wants to experience an internally consistent world. There are probably other purposes as well, but the goals of narrative and simulation are the only ones relevant to the point I'm about to make.

I think that choosing a system and planning a campaign with simulation in mind is more conducive to role-play that can be compared to great literature than is focusing on narration.

I say this because the focus on "telling a story" leaves less room for character agency, and for exploring what characters do and want.

A simulation style game, with the right players, allows for immersion and freedom in tandem, such that players can do whatever they want but aren't inclined to do random bullshit. Instead, "it's what my character would do" gains actual meaning instead of being an excuse, and players enjoy developing their own characters and learning about their relationships with others, watching them succeed or fail based on their own decisions and the capricious winds of fate.

Focusing on story means insisting on pacing. No time to explore whatever comes up, lest the players lose interest in the thrill of the plot.

Focusing on simulation means letting things unfold in the most internally consistent way possible, watching a character struggle with alcoholism or grieving, taking the time to recognize that living in a world with dragons or a virtual reality Internet won't eliminate loss or render all obstacles external.
>>
>>51096376
GNS still offers us valuable insights OP. It's the three main approaches to role-playing games.

A simulation is probably the most misunderstood of the three.

it's typically confuse with just simple realism, something people (wrongly) think is incompatible with the fantasy genre.

Simulation is this also seen as 'rules heavy', but the lack of gay missed abstractionism actually means I love chunks of setting rules can be safely dropped with 'common sense' being used as an actual standard guidelines rather than inconsistent nebulous loop hole.
>>
>>51096675
>gay missed abstractionism
What?
>>
>>51097380
>Gameist abstraction.

Strangest AutoCorrect ever seen.
>>
>>51096675
>>51096376

if this is the defintion of simulationist and narrativism I don't get why you would want to play a narrativist game. even something like FATE would be a simulationist game with gamist role playing incentives, because its the characters that are important and the narrative develops naturally out of exploring them.

why would anyone want to play a game that you have to force a certain pacing?
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.