[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to be doing a sci fi game in a homebrewed setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: darksideofthemoon02.jpg (402KB, 2300x1251px) Image search: [Google]
darksideofthemoon02.jpg
402KB, 2300x1251px
I'm going to be doing a sci fi game in a homebrewed setting soon, and one of the main points in the setting is that there aren't any aliens despite being set in space (more of a Cowboy Bebop/Firefly style space western sort of deal). However, I've been reconsidering that recently, and the idea I had was to have aliens show up maybe once as a random deep space encounter, then never show up again or really have a bearing on the plot. Would it be a good idea to tell my players that I'm going to have them eventually? Or would it be better to keep it a secret? Thoughts?
>>
>>51086315
>random deep space encounter, then never show up again or really have a bearing on the plot

But.. why?

Remember, you're doing collaborative storyelling. If aliens showed up midway though "The Pirates of Penzance" and then fucked off, it'd be a weird musical.

Chekhov's gun, friend.
>>
Bad idea. You will derail your whole campaign to be about crazy PCs who try to convince others to believe in aliens and prepare for an intergalactic war or some shit.
>>
>>51086315
Please don't do this. If you MUST have aliens in the story, just have someone find remnants of their technology or something, and make it a major plot point. Else you're going to derail the campaign.
>>
>>51086315
>Thoughts?

No Aliens.
The moment you introduce Aliens EVERYTHING changes.
>>
>>51086315

Depends.

If they're little grey men or bug monsters or the like, I can see that being a big deal from the point of view of the players. If the aliens stand out and are interesting to the players, they'll want to see more of them, and of they aren't interesting, you'll have "that one really dumb encounter".

It MIGHT work if you focus on the humans and their interaction with the aliens, and maybe make the aliens microbial or something, since finding intelligent life is a VERY BIG DEAL and I can't see any way for it to not be (even microbial life is a Very Big Deal, but still)
>>
>>51086536
Are there any stories like this one? Misa like it.
>>
>>51086315
Drop hints that aliens have existed. Things like ancient landscaping on moons, or artifacts planted.
>>
>>51086315

Only if you're okay with your players dropping everything to try and make contact or run them down.

As >>51086609 says, everything changes once you throw in aliens. The amount of cash you can make off first contact alone will tempt players, and even if your setting has no cash or monetary exchange, there's the prestige of it all.

Not to mention the possibility of a technological leg-up.

So, no. Either flesh them out, or leave them out. If you're dead set, have the encounter happen to NPCs and have them tell the PCs about the spoopy strange ship they came across.
>>
>>51089268
Literally the first line of the pasta tells you the story that it's based on. Read it.
>>
>>51086536
Holy shit that story
>>
>>51089730
Already read Blindsight, 10/9 want more.
>>
>>51090291
Anything by Greg Egan or Peter Watts will do you good then.
>>
>>51086315
Don't reveal them unless you want the entire focus of your game to shift to ALIENS ARE HERE ALIENS ARE HERE.

Discovering sentient life from another world is literally the biggest thing that could happen to us. It is bigger than the discovery of FTL, bigger than the nuclear bomb, bigger than metallurgy, bigger than fire. First Contact is an event that merits resetting the fucking Calendar.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.