[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I come asking help and some suggestions. I'm in mood of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1446605465629.jpg (415KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1446605465629.jpg
415KB, 1920x1080px
I come asking help and some suggestions.

I'm in mood of maybe running some galaxy crossing space faring sci-fi adventures.
I have some vague ideas, some visions of space empires, FTL travel and spaceships engaged in spacedogfigths.

But I lack the actual game, the system, the mechanics.
I have decent knowledge of lots of games, but space opera sci-fi is one place where I'm lacking.

So that's why I ask for suggestions.
These days I prefer lighter, faster and more narrative systems.
I don't mind more crunch and mechanical depth, but that usually means lots of details and options for fight scenes, while rest are forgotten.
And spending half of every session in a "mandatory" enemy encounter is just something I'm not looking for.

I know there are generic systems that can do what I want, among other things, but I always prefer to use a system that's designed for setting or theme first and use generic games as plan B, if I can't find suitable game otherwise.
>>
>>51082588
Eclipse Phase.
>>
>>51082588

You have a lot of options. I agree with reskinning an existing space opera setting if one can be found that fits your needs.

The obvious place to start is star wars. You can strip out jedi and the Force and have just about everything you need-- especially those space dogfights.

40k RPG, Traveller, and Serenity RPG are all other options-- though none of them have the dogfighting element down as well as star wars. 40k in particular is wrapped around the assumptions of that setting and hard to reskin to a lighter, happier setting. Firefly was based on a Traveller campaign that Joss played in during college, so both are appropriate.

If you're an experienced gamer, you don't need me to tell you about GURPS. Spaceships has a fantastic design mechanic that lets you do just about anything and yet still be manageable and fun-- it was written by the same guy who did the awful Vehicles supplement for 3e that people still bitch about, and man did he ever learn his lesson. You'd use GURPS Lite as the core, then borrow from the Basic Set, Ultra Tech, Bio Tech (for aliens), and Spaceships. Then add martial arts and psionic powers if those elements are in your setting. Much more work than reskinning star wars, but you get a lot more control and precision and reskinning can be a lot of work too depending on how different your setting is.

Battletech has lots of stuff that's a very close fit... but the mechanics suck and if that's what you're picking it for, then it's not worth it.
>>51083493

A shit game for shit people. And totally inappropriate for OP's concept.
>>
>>51082588
>lighter, faster and more narrative systems.
Traveller, mongoose edition.

There's a traveller thread up now where you can get all the PDFs
>>
>>51083999
As much as I like Traveller, I wouldn't say it's particularly narrative.
It is, however, pretty rules light, in the sense that most of the crunch comes from subsystems and the like. Maybe rules modular would be a better term? But definitely the core system is nice and light.
Also, Traveller chargen is really really cool

Op, if narrative is a must then I'm 90% sure a sci-if PBtA game exists, but I can't remember the name of it
Oh, and Stars Without Number is pretty cool, and has some neat supplements. It's also manages to be both a love letter to traveller and its own thing, which is neat
>>
>>51082588
Stars Without Number. Even if you don't use it, stealing the Faction Turn rules and refluffing stuff for your game go a long way toward making the world/universe seem a lot more alive.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.