[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I create a campaign? I want to DM for my friends but I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1483451400342.png (423KB, 960x501px) Image search: [Google]
1483451400342.png
423KB, 960x501px
How do I create a campaign? I want to DM for my friends but I'm pretty unsure as to what I need planned out for the first session and so on.
>>
>>51047084
New dm? Get a module. You'll have enough to deal with learning without having to create the story as well.

When you've given your gm skill a bit of practise, then you can move on to campaign creation.

Also, you'll need to tell us what system you're running before we can recommend a module.
>>
>>51047189
5e, but I really want it to be a personally created story because it's a group of personal friends.
>>
>>51047338

What kind of themes do you like? Like what are you favorite kinds of movies or books?
>>
>>51047399
I was thinking a sci-fi story where they have a ship and they find an abandoned ship in space, they raid it, fight some baddies, then they can go to different places. Kind of like a star trek-ie story
>>
>>51047338
first ask your player what they want to play campaign wise: treasure hunt , pirate, adventurer ,explorator ...
then propose a setting and ask them what character will them make
make them make the character and their backstory
now you have a setting and hopefully interesting piece of backstory to work with
write the damn campaign with that
>>
>>51047450

Keep in mind, a Sci-Fi setting can be very difficult to do with DnD since a lot of stuff has to be refluffed.
>>
The simplest way to begin a game is to start with a town. It almost always leads to a fun adventure, and it lets the players decide their path for themselves.

Build a town, a small one, put in several NPCs around the town that have information regarding an adventure or two. The point is that no matter what the PCs do or where they go, there's an adventure hook there. Start off with simple adventures, like a local girl got kidnapped, or there's a band of Goblins that took over some local religious ruins.

When they finish up their business in the town, begin creating hooks for further adventures that lead further away, perhaps to other towns or much larger cities. As the players level and game fame and power, have the campaign scale appropriately. Look at what the players enjoy, if they enjoy being murderhobo treasure hunters, focus on that. If they enjoy the heroic fantasy, build an epic BBEG and have his plans become known, if they just want to adventure and see the sights, work on making interesting places to discover.
>>
>>51047084
What works best for me is have a session 0 where you have your players roll up characters and they create their backstories. This is also the time to communicate setting ideas and see what they want in a game.
>>
>>51047450
That sounds like a good start op, have a couple of setbacks to getting the ship running so that lasts 2 sessions while you think of more places for them to go.

Are your players going to be ship captains or are they going to be manning a smaller ship that has only then on it?
>>
>>51048307
My character is the co pilot on the ship and they're a cargo ship probably, just average joes that work at a company made to ship intergalacticaly.
>>
>>51047338
Still use a module. It really doesn't make a difference. And believe me, if you want to both impress them and learn something, using modules early on is the best solution.
Just remember to be honest with your players and inform them this is a module scenario.
>>
Best way to make your first homebrew is to

>Use a module and host several campaigns
>When players make oddball choices, forcing you to create an NPC, take notes on who that NPC is
>after the session is over flesh them out on paper
>when you're done add them to the pile of NPCs

Do this until you have a pretty good stack of characters your players and you love, then bring one of them back as a central character in your homebrew. Your friends will love this and its really video gamey/movie like giving your dedicated players treats.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.