[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard will it be to run a murder mystery in FATE Core taking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: FateCoreBookCover.jpg (190KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
FateCoreBookCover.jpg
190KB, 900x1350px
How hard will it be to run a murder mystery in FATE Core taking into account that the players can spend fate points to declare plot points?
>>
>>51043983
Firstly, since I'm not that familiar with FATE, could you quickly explain what you mean by 'declare plot points'? Do you mean players can demand the story explained to them, or that they can now dictate the plot for whatever length of time?

And that question and potential points aside, can't you as the GM simply declare players cannot buy the plot from under you, since it ruins the point of the game?
>>
>>51043983
Not hard, FATE is probably very good for this. Also the rules state clearly that they can only change minor things in the narrative, or the dice roll. Plus, you can always veto the use of the fate point as dm.
>>
>>51044046
In FATE players can spend points to declare a plot point in a scene such as :

GM : He points his gun at you and pulls the trigger

Player : I want to spend a FATE point to declare the gun jams
>>
>>51044131
Ah, thank you kind anon.

In that case as long as it's nothing massive and kept to help with tense moments I don't think it should pose to be a big problem. All comes down to the GM.
>>
>>51044131
That's not how it works. The change in narrative has to be directly tied to one of the character's Aspects. Your example might work in a supers game where someone has a superpower that manipulates luck and chance, but in nearly any other game, someone's getting shot.
>>
>>51044573
Thats not how I remember reading it. It sounds like youre talking about invoking aspects.
>>
>>51045507
You can spend a fate point to declare a story detail, but said detail should be tied to one of your aspects.
Invoking an aspect simply lets you reroll your dice or give your roll +2,
>>
>>51043983
It only be as hard as your ability to craft a mystery is. FATE Core is pretty good with social and exploration mechanics as long as you have a solid grasp on how to use aspects. I'd look into FATE Toolkit for it's section on expanded social rules, which adds a bit more direction and challenge for players seeking to understand and manipulate the motivations of NPCs.
But yeah, FATE Core is a really good system, especially if you want the setting down to earth but still have a variety of skills to distribute among the players
>>
>>51045507
Nah, anon is right.

You don't get to announce any old convenient detail--it has to follow your character's Aspects, and it's subject to being rejected via a "LOL like that would happen" reaction from the group.

But then, this is Fate. You're supposed to tweak your game to get what you want out of it.
>>
>>51051597
Ah okay. My group is pretty good so I might as GM expand that a little since its a mystery. We could all craft something together and it'll be a lot of fun
>>
>>51048657
It should be tied to an aspect, not necessarily one of yours, but otherwise that is correct. You'd be forcing someone else's character to behave according to their description.
So you could theoretically declare that an enemy's gun jams as long as that particular enemy or gun has a reason to fail that way.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.