[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>little experience with D&D and roleplaying in general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: ianmaccelen.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ianmaccelen.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>little experience with D&D and roleplaying in general
>played a bit, tried DMing horribly in my youth (using terrible, terrible homebrews), but that doesn't count
>decided to learn DMing, but have noone to play with here and don't wanna go on roll20 and stuff without experience
>convince a buddy to play a solo campaign with me (he has little experience too)

Any tips? I thought I'd rather learn to improvise from get go, so as not to become a railroader as many new GMs do, so is it okay to just pick a setting, write a few generic quests & encounters and just give my player freedom? It's gonna be dungeon crawling for a while anyway, until we get hang of combat.
>>
If it's just one guy, ask what he would like to do and then make the campaign about that.
>>
>>51019114
You already chose a system? D&D doesn't really work with only one person (imo); it's a game about a team, not a solo adventurer.

I guess you could just use a bunch of NPCs you both control to some degree, but it sounds kinda eh.
>>
>>51019142
I just want to learn D&D since it's most popular and stuff. Once I learn to D&D a bit, I can go on Roll20 and get some experience, and with experience I can tackle other systems.
>>
>>51019192
Have you tried asking other people to join?
>>
>>51019238
I ain't got anyone else to play with where I live and I don't wanna play with strangers until I know at least a bit what I'm doing
>>
>>51019192
I mean, the main benefit of popularity is that it's easy to find a group. Playing singleplayer in an otherwise group based game won't teach you some pretty important things (such as juggling all the player's attention, engagement and happiness levels).

The optimal play here is probably just jump into roll20 after reading the DMG a lot (either as a DM or player, both experiences help), and if it doesn't work (a very high probability) you can always just find a new group or 10.

However, I also get that you want to try, and it's natural to be afraid, so if you want to go ahead with a single player, maybe grab "A potent brew" and "Lost Mines of Phandelver". Have a few NPCs join the "party" on a permanent basis, with the PC calling the shots most of the time.
>>
>>51019279
this means I'll go to roll20 without knowing those things beforehand anyway. but in my scenario I at least will have hang of the rules at least, so one less headache.

okay, I'll have a look at those modules. I'm not too keen on idea of DMPCs/follower NPCs, since stuff I read on the internet indicates players normally hate them in any case, but maybe it's worth a try in single-player.
>>
>>51019114
Go to the /osr/ thread, ask them about Solo Heroes.
It's designed for this exact situation.
And if you want to start with D&D, start with the early editions for a good grounding in the material.
>>
>>51019114
>>convince a buddy to play a solo campaign with me (he has little experience too)

That's fine to start. It'll give you the basics. Then try to find more people to play with as a group, the dynamics are different.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.