[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a game set on a Tolkien fantasy setting. Except

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: elven pregnancy.png (655KB, 1912x2832px) Image search: [Google]
elven pregnancy.png
655KB, 1912x2832px
I want to make a game set on a Tolkien fantasy setting. Except instead of medieval high fantasy, I'd like to have the world and setting to be post-industrial revolution.

There's so much unexplored potential in what we call "Tolkien Fantasy" because every single game that uses it seems to be stuck on the "Elves are forest hippies, dwarves are grumpy loners beneath mountains, humans are boring blank slates for players and orcs are dumb and green".

Suppose for a minute that a traditional high fantasy setting is allowed to expand until early 20th century technology becomes available to all species. This world would also be undergoing the earliest stages of globalization. What would it be like?
>>
File: 1482797452307.jpg (38KB, 452x717px) Image search: [Google]
1482797452307.jpg
38KB, 452x717px
> Tolkien fantasy setting
> post-industrial revolution
Is this bait?
>>
>>51015398
Why would it be? Try to imagine a generic high fantasy setting with a minor steampunk skin over it.
>>
>>51015451
That would not be Tolkien fantasy. There is a reason Mordor and Isengard are industrialized, while Shire and Gondor are not.
>>
File: 1396814429866.jpg (142KB, 380x600px) Image search: [Google]
1396814429866.jpg
142KB, 380x600px
>>51015491
I didn't mean Tolkien's actual universe, but rather used the term to loosely describe high fantasy settings. Basically "There's all those fantasy races everyone knows, some of them have magic and stuff, and humans are just there for some reason".

Looking at human history, it's inconceivable to imagine that if we shared the planet with another intelligent, sentient species, that we'd be able to get along. Whenever different cultures came into shock, the technologically superior one would either enslave or slaughter the weaker one.

This is fundamentally different in high fantasy settings. Several different species exist and coexist to some extent because, unlike humans, they have a tendency for isolation, not expansion.

Now suppose that this status quo was allowed to go on enough that every species reaches industrial capabilities around the same time. Capitalism and globalization goes hand in hand with industrialism, meaning that all those shut-in groups would start reaching out to one another.
>>
>>51015383
>post-industrial
okay so make everyone cynical and miserable and give them motorcycles
>>
File: ork grunt.jpg (153KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ork grunt.jpg
153KB, 724x1024px
>>51015383
Take the early 20th century, switch out nations for different species, sprinkle in some magitech. Done.
>>
>>51015686
That's the easy way out. The whole point is for the history background of the setting to be believable. Prussian Orcs and Communist Demons are amazing, but it's not what I am aiming for.
>>
>>51015383
Well, to start an actual discussion on this, what do you consider a Tolkein fantasy anon?

I've usually seen it as low-magic, with ancient, declining races serving as a sort of back drop to the current geopolitical sphere, with a dark evil subtly manipulating events in the shadows.

I think this could actually be done alright; the nations of Man with their new technologies, seen as strange by the elves, and unreliable at best by the Dwarves who strive to perfect these ideas with dwarven craft, in competition with the slave labor used by this world's easterlings and Goblinoids. Technology would be in the same vein as that of just before the first World War, which is currently brewing in this setting.

All the while the Wizards of this setting are trying to keep the peace in a world that listens to them less and less. How powerful is a wizard ally when you can get the same effect with a well-trained platoon of riflemen? Magic has started to fade from the world not because of its disappearance, but because people have forgotten its teachings in preference to the diesel powered wonders of this new age.

I think that it could work, because a lot of the same ideas are present: the shift from living in lands dominated by dragons and wizardry, elves and dwarves, to a world inhabited by humans, could be easily met by the lessening of magic, how Elves and Dwarves would start to have less and less political influence as their peoples struggle to adapt to the inventions that humanity and goblins both crank out. The struggle we see in the Elves in trying to decide wether or not to intervene would be the same in this setting, as the war between good and evil would be seen as won, just like in lotr, and this new war would be sabre-rattling and political strife between the young races.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.