[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

redpill me on mutants and masterminds what power level do games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

redpill me on mutants and masterminds

what power level do games typically have? 10? More?

what's the meta, what are the imbalances?

what does a min maxed character look like?

what kind of characters are considered typical or cliche?
>>
PL10 is the default power level. That's Iron Man and Spider-Man tier.

The game is easily breakable, even by accident. That said, the game itself knows this and does a few things:
>Reminds the GM that he has veto power and the ability to say "no"
>Appeals to the players' narrative side by encouraging them to make the character they want, not the character they "need"
>Points out certain powers that can immediately appear breakable

You don't want to know what a "minmaxed" character looks like, because there's a myriad number of ways to break the game over your knee, and none of them make the game fun.
>>
File: bam.jpg (208KB, 858x756px) Image search: [Google]
bam.jpg
208KB, 858x756px
>>50996812
It's a fun game if you're willing to let it be one. The instant you try to squeeze points out of situations or characters to maximize power, it stops being fun.

Less "I'm the best PL10 character ever made," more Ball of Arms Man.
>>
>>50996986
I don't necessarily want to break the game, I just want to know what powergaming is in this edition to understand it better. But I see what you're saying - the diversity of the system leads to a diversity of ways to break it.
>>
>>50996986
>spider man and iron man on the same tier

wut
>>
>>50997161
Also if I'm making a guy that's just "I'm just really good at fighting and have enough super strength to make that worth it" how many points do I put into fighting and strength, respectively, if we're at power level 10?
>>
>>50996812
redpill yourself on this: kill yourself
>>
File: bbc.png (42KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
bbc.png
42KB, 480x360px
>>50997232
what are you new to 4chan and trying to fit in or something I don't get it
>>
>>50997177
I remember reading a comic were Spider-Man beat Iron Man in a fight by spinning a cocoon of web around him. Comic books man, power levels are bull shit.

But yeah, Spider-Man and Iron Man sound about right for PL 10.
>>
>>50997177

not too far off. It'd be a fair fight in the comics. Spider-Man is usually written as 'street level' but he's way above, say, Iron Fist or Daredevil.
>>
>>50996812
>redpill
Wrong board. Go home. You don't belong here unless it's a thread about Racial Holy War.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Racial_Holy_War
>>
File: 1443051111129.jpg (715KB, 640x898px) Image search: [Google]
1443051111129.jpg
715KB, 640x898px
>>50996812
>redpill me on mutants and masterminds
Please be ironic.

Anyway, there are broken as fuck things that are really cheap. Reoccurring issue with my group is the our attempt to balance and check ourselves and yet our refusal to do so. We keep saying "It'll be like early X-men. Where we are all relatively weak, limited in power and need to rely on each other. Then proceed the allow teleportation and immortality at the start because we have a hard time vetoing broken powers.
We even tried starting at PL6 but this doesn't fix things. At any power level one of our players will make the same character that's invisible, intangible, and opens portals. This character does not attack anything. Instead he shoves every enemy in a pocket dimension. Unless you make sure that players can't snap their finger to get rid of a problem the game will be boring.

The immunity power has also been a constant problem. We don't do obvious things like element immunity cause the game allows you to buy away entire large categories of damage.

I try to make reasonable gimmick characters to no avail. I make a speedster who crashes into things as an attack. First monster we fight is immune to physical damage. I just recently made Lucky Ted character who can only brawl as an attack. To be honest I will be lucky if he gets to do anything. You are punished for making "human" PC's.
>>
>>50997466
>I remember reading a comic were Spider-Man beat Iron Man in a fight by spinning a cocoon of web around him. Comic books man, power levels are bull shit.

This right here is why M&M is actually meh at genre emulation.

It's more of a "build a character" toolkit than a superhero game.

Which ironically makes it a pretty good modern D&D alternative.
>>
>>50997337
nice try, nigga.

Saying "red pill me" is the same thing as saying "Ima retard AND Im lazy"
>>
>>51001041
You can't blame a tabletop system for inconsistent writing in the genre that inspires it.
>>
>>51000253
Sounds like you have a shit group, or at least a shit person or two. Either your DM needs to decide what he wants and be up front with you all instead of saying one thing and enforcing another, or he needs to put his foot down when someone tries to go against what he does set out as the ground rules and tell them that, no, he's not going to allow an immortal extraplanar doorman in the same party as an exaggerated gambler.

The game developers are very up front in saying that MnM is not a balanced system. The goal of the system is to create a feel for cape comics, which it does nicely, but it might not come as a surprise that cape comics themselves aren't really written with balance in mind either. Groups using the system have to do a lot of self-policing and exercise a lot of discipline in order to get the style of game that they're going for.
>>
>>50996986

Yeah, I remember the time I made a summoner(A mage with an affinity for golems who had a single big named golem and a heap of mooky ones) for M&M.

I ended up basically loading myself down with downsides to help make the power less silly.

The main ones being 'If it takes a hit, I take a hit too' on my big golem and 'I need to maintain the summoning, so I don't get turns myself while they are out'. That and 'I can have the mooks OR I can have the actually at PL golem'

As summoning is very, very silly in M&M.
>>
>>50998400
>>51001233
autism

OP used a phrasing from a different board and it's dumb but the discussion in the thead is good, take a "chill" pill guys ;)
>>
>>51001917
It's not that the writing is inconsistent, it's that in comics, (and most literary genres) what makes for a good story are usually things involving emotions and/or chance.

Imagine autists didn't ruin comics, okay? Imagine we are 12 and reading Spiderman. We are rooting for him to overcame the numbing effects of the poison that's in his blood, lift the huge rock that's currently crushing him before he drowns in the sever, get the antidote, and save Aunt May.

We have no idea what strength Spirderman has. We know he's a lot stronger than the average person, but not exactly how strong. We don't know, or care how heavy the rock is, and/or how much weaker the poison is making him. We only know that it'd be heavy to lift even on a good day (and would squash a normal human), and that the poison already knocked Aunt May out, so it's only his spider physiology keeping him going. The important thing we need to know that Peter's in a really tough spot, that he only manages to do so because his heroic will to save his aunt pushes him past his limits.

The problem I have with systems with simulationist leanings is that they miss the point. Those systems want to know all the details that, in the grand scheme of things, only really matter to people who can't see the forest from the trees.

M&M is still not terrible about it I guess, IIRC you can generally eyeball stuff and be okay, but it's still way more detail oriented than it has to be.
>>
>>50998400
You're an idiot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix
>>
>>51002283
He's implying that redpill is a /pol/ meme, and RaHoWa is a /pol/ game.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.