[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need some help with Metal Gear campaign ideas: Snake's Revenge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 91CPF7HysuL.jpg (816KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
91CPF7HysuL.jpg
816KB, 1920x2560px
Hey guys, so I'm coming up with a campaign for some mates to play where they're going to play the 3 CIA agents in the old NES game "Snake's Revenge", as a VR mission set in 1997, between Outer Heaven and Zanzibarland.

I need help coming up with ideas to make the Metal Gear weapon platform interesting. I want to capture the feel of the more "realistic" mechs and enemy bosses that appeared from MG through to MGS1, as opposed to the more cartoony villains that started appearing from MGS2 onwards.

Anybody able to make any suggestions? Or even just general campaign ideas? All I know so far is that the joke character Higharolla Kockamamie has now become a ruthless arms dealer known as the High Roller who mysteriously obtained the data for the Metal Gear TX-55 after the collapse of Outer Heaven, and my players will need to get in and destroy the production facilities.
>>
So somehow I have to turn this piece of crap into a dangerous threat. I'm going to rename it Metal Gear TRIAD based on how it can seemingly launch nuclear attacks on three target cities across the world simultaneously, given how it targets London, New York and Tokyo in the game.

Apparently its weapons are, in classic old school simple gaming fashion, a Ballistic Nuclear Launcher, a Missile Launcher and a 3-Barrel Machine Gun. And that's about the extent of information that went into it in the original game, so I have to somehow mold it into a machine that seems like a threat somewhat more dangerous than a TX-55 but not as advanced as the Metal Gear REX of MGS1 fame.
>>
>>50980884
What you have to understand about the metalgear was the threat it presented was it was a nuclear equipped land tank. This meant it could offer ICBM capability from anywhere. Realistically, nuclear submarines already do this

What I would do instead is make metal gear code for a process that allows the easy mass production of high yield nuclear warheads from traditionally too impure sources, potentially turning any dirty bomb into a true city buster. Combine this with a mass produceable radiation proof mobile tank platform that can function in urban environments effectively and easily be transported via air or ship, and you turn ANY ship or cargo plane into a potential nuclear threat. Metal Gear can fire one of its cheap warheads from the deck of a fucking cargo freighter and turn any coastal city into a burning hellscape in minutes.

That is the threat of metalgear -, it's not a superweapon, it's super proliferation, it makes the nuclear club open to many more powers and imbalances MAD doctrine
>>
File: 1479601563364.png (311KB, 1870x1630px) Image search: [Google]
1479601563364.png
311KB, 1870x1630px
>>50981045
Also, this SHOULD be my Tunguska strain campaign write-up. The assembly could be potential villains for you
>>
>>50981045
That's cool and all, and I was actually thinking of running with using the hoax material Red Mercury as a real substance used to ease the production of nuclear weaponry in the campaign.

But in the end, after all of the philosophical talk and the discussions about threats of super-proliferation and whatnot, the players will still want to take on a nuclear-equipped bipedal tank that's as cool as some of the beasts from the games. So I'd definitely like to come up with some ideas for enhancing the actual mech itself.

But thanks for the suggestion, it actually helps to define in my mind why the High Roller is such a dangerous arms dealer. Originally I was just going to be using red mercury as sort of a handwave macguffin to power the Metal Gear, but if he can actually manufacture compact nukes that don't require a primary ignition sequence, instead of having to just steal existing warheads, then he becomes a far greater threat as "the world's most dangerous arms dealer".
>>
>>50981194
Well, a lot of the theoretical weapons that the CIA were afraid of in the 80s were laser defense systems or orbital based. Make the metal gears missle launcher anti ICBM capable, so not only is it a walking nuclear platform but also a nuclear defense platform

I also recommend Casaba Howitzers for sheer hard sci Fi fucking shit up. What is a Casaba Howitzer? It's a nuke that releases its emission in a shaped charge, effectively it exploads into a nuclear laser beam that focuses the majority of a nukes energy to a point. Aside from the obvious pin point destruction capabilities, this means it detonate from outside the range of most missle defense systems.
>>
>>50981152
This is really cool, and actually ties in with some ideas I've had that the bullshit parasites from MGSV are potentially extraterrestrial in origin. The Assembly has potential too.

>>50981294
>Casaba Howitzer
How have I never heard of these before? This shit sounds amazing! Giving Metal Gear TRIAD some Casaba weaponry would definitely make the players go "Holy fuck we gotta stop this!"

For the boss squad, I definitely want them to be closer to the "hard sci-fi"/"real mil-fi"-esque bosses of FOXHOUND and the Outer Heaven mercs, but I'm having trouble coming up with some concepts. I have reused the first boss from the Snake's Revenge game, however, which was a group of 5 mercs who charged at you in various formations, sort of like American football players.

They're now a team of individuals who were injured by IEDs and had their legs destroyed. They have basic cybernetic-prosthetic limbs that are neurally interfaced using some external chips on the back of their necks. if Huey can have exoskeleton leg frames in 1984, and Madnar can build a literal Terminator in 1995, then these guys should be able to have something similar in 1997, I figure.

Anyway, the legs are normally slow and deliberate in movement, but can pneumatically launch these guys into high-speed direct-line "charges" that's essentially a shoulder-check off off a machine-powered kickoff, and they've modified the chips so that all 5 of their prosthetics act in tandem, meaning that the soldiers can focus on their fighting and when the commander of the team initiates a charge against Snake they all just move in formation to crush him to a pulp with armored charges.
>>
>>50981460
>Weaponized linebackers

Why not make all your enemys vaugly sports themed.

Basketball themed guy whose a soldier with a jetpack that's got a ramjet, shoots high into the air and fires rockets down, comes crashing down on robotic legs and torso to flatten the area below him. Get dunked.

Baseball guy whose got cybernetic arms that let him precision lob grenades rocket propelled grenades free hand (ala grenadiers in command and conquer 3) and slap the shit out of people with a titanium bat

Racquet ball themed guy with a heavy back mounted deflection field projector that lets him deflect or even reflect projectiles with magnetic fields ala magneto.

Ski shooting guy whose got like a weaponized uniwheeler or hovering moped he can ride and shoot from with precision accuracy, making him fast attack

And yeah, you want Metal Gear to be scary, have it detonate a nuclear missile inside its containment tube and fire what is essentially a nuclear laser off shore, boiling steam off the ocean and cutting a destroyer or aircraft carrier in half
>>
U wan crazy cold war weapons?
Say hello to Shiva Star, weaponized plasma donut launcher

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Star
>>
>>50982039
All I know for sure is that a guy who survived the bombing of Outer Heaven, one of the merc warlords that Snake fought previously, will show up in a bulky exoskeleton that is a combination of life support and prototype for the eventual Cyborg Ninja exoskeleton 8 years later. He'll basically act as the secret leader of the base, and will distract the players into allowing the High Roller to escape and attack them with Metal Gear TRIAD.

Vaporizing an aircraft carrier sounds pretty badass, I'll have to work that in as a live field test that the players can witness.

>>50982057
Neat, I can probably do something with this. Looks a bit large to be a weapon for MG, but could be a fixed emplacement.
>>
No idea how you might specifically fit this Metal Gear in the gap between TX-55 and D, but there's an easy way to make it better than the pile of shit that was SALENTHROPUS. Miniaturization. Talk about how much more advanced it is specifically because it's smaller and more compact, and can be moved around inside your ordinary small cargo plane. Focus on the proliferation aspect.

Fuck metallic archaea, seriously.
>>
Bump for any wild ideas that fit in a Metal Gear setting?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.