[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever had a campaign where time travel was handled well?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1325.jpg (81KB, 1024x568px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1325.jpg
81KB, 1024x568px
Have you ever had a campaign where time travel was handled well? Were your PC's the time travelers, or was it someone else? Like someone sent to stop the BBEG or the players themselves?
>>
>Have you ever had a campaign where time travel was handled well?

Well, uhh... technically, nah

>Were your PC's the time travelers, or was it someone else? Like someone sent to stop the BBEG or the players themselves?

Nah, nah
>>
>>50952529
No I haven't.

>>50952923
Fuck off with that meme shit.
>>
>>50952529
Not an entire game, but one of the characters was a time traveler and I thought it was handled pretty well and cool.
>>
>>50953067
Howd it go?
>>
>>50952529
> time travel
> handled well
Choose one.
>>
>>50952529
>anime OP pic
stopped reading there
>>
File: pun-pun.jpg (36KB, 750x574px) Image search: [Google]
pun-pun.jpg
36KB, 750x574px
>>50952529
Saw a PbP game once where the party were high-level servants of the gods, who fled through a portal back in time after their masters were killed by a newly ascended Pun-Pun. After which it became basically the Terminator movies if John Connor was the villain. And a kobold.

At one point they managed to negotiate an alliance with an aboleth by feeding one of their own party members to it so that the aboleth would gain his memories of the future. (this was done with his full consent, and they resurrected him afterwards)
>>
>>50954076
Stop shitposting.
>>
>>50952529
Feng Shui handles time travel really well.
>>
File: TIME WIZARDS.png (246KB, 1776x1307px) Image search: [Google]
TIME WIZARDS.png
246KB, 1776x1307px
>>50952529
Only the Time Wizards, Los Magos Del Tiempo, have ever handled time travel well.

Someone else may have the more complete system for this.
>>
I had a GM of a Dungeons the Dragoning game I'm in pull of an amazing time travel twist for one of my PCs.

She had been a maiden dryad, on her first journey offworld when there was some kind of accident or disaster which killed her. She awoke some time later as a powerful ghost (A Wraith), with shattered memories and a broken mind, wandering the spheres for many years as she slowly pulled herself back together.

After making friends with the other PCs and regaining a lot of her former self, she finally returned to her homeworld. And met her younger self, still alive on the planets surface. Apparently after the accident her soul had been lost in time, not just in space.

Over the course of her journey she'd become a Hunter of the Raven Queen (confusing a lot of people, since The Raven Queen usually universally hates Undead), but as a result of this she didn't want to break fate. She warned her younger self what was coming, and told her to enjoy her last few days, but resolved not to interfere with what was coming.

From there things have gotten even weirder. The accident was enemy action by a body stealing eldritch abomination, she learned that a) she isn't dead and b) she's actually the Abhorsen, and her younger self might not actually be dead yet. Things still haven't really resolved.

But yeah, the core time travel twist was great. A total surprise for me, something I'd never suspected and which blew the PCs mind when it happened.
>>
>>50952529

Not strictly Time-Travel, but I used a Master Illusionist Screenwriter Lich who ripped off memories from people in order to write her plays.

She found the party more interesting than the original characters, so she "cast" them as the new protagonists.

While my players thought they were being sent back in time, in reality they were on stage, in front of an audience fighting people dressed as monsters.

The illusion was created by the memories of these ancient heroes, so my players were able to find clues that were destroyed by the time their characters were born.
>>
>>50952529
Time travel is never handled well, simply because everyone has a different idea how it's supposed to work.
You want an actually good time travel campaign? Throw causality bullshit into the trash and just have fun. Disregard butterfly effects, time paradoxes and other shit (unless you specifically want to introduce it into the campaign) and just have fun instead.
Time is wibbly-wobbly, motherfucker.
>>
>>50952529
I ran a campaign were one group(a) ran around in say year 1000 and the other(b) in year 1350. Each adventured on entirely different paths. Group B would occasionally wander to places group A had been. Where some evidence of their adventures still remained. Best example was an elven warriors broken sword and dented shield left behind after fighting a frost giant under an ancient ruin were found and repaired by the human fighter 350 years later.

Anyway. Eventually both parties about 3 sessions apart found a golden mechanism laced in green gems. They had no idea what it was but it was magic. So they took it to anyone that could identify its purpose. They never got there because one party member had been rolling checks to figure out its use still (stubborn mage) after rolling 2 20's in one of his attempts I told him he saw that all jewels make a kinda fragmented pattern ans I brought out a diagram. He solved the very rudimentary puzzle and activated the device. In both timelines. Causing everyone near the device to swap timelines. Not the entire party of both timelines switched which made things a little easier as the remainder of each group explained eachothers situation.

After each party became situated they notice the device was now acting as a compass pointing in the direction they must go (railroading yes but the campaign was intended to be somewhat linear) after about 2 sessions each both parties had made it to the location I called it and told all players to be at my llace at once for a joint session

During the joint session each party went into the centre of the temple they arrived at and placed the device at separate sides of an altar. The devices flew into one another making both parties part of the same timeline all 8 party members now went into the dungeons under the temple and fought time based enemies and almost reached the end. But after 3 sessions being cancelled and the stress of dm'ing 8 players it ended.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.