[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to make a RPG group for the first time and choose a decente,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: geek.jpg (20KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
geek.jpg
20KB, 400x300px
Trying to make a RPG group for the first time and choose a decente, fluid system for it. Some buddies told me to get the 5th edition of D&D but i heard some pretty negative critique of it. Should i go for the opinions or what ?
>>
>>50951443
Fuck D&D
>>
>>50951443
What'd you hear? 5e is actually pretty damn solid, and that's saying something after the last two editions.
>>
>>50951443
D&D 5E is perfectly fine for your first RPG. Some folks dislike it for grognardy reasons, but if this is your first go, it'll do right by you. Just keep in mind that although 5E is pretty decently put together, there are plenty of other systems that can do different play styles, genres, and mechanics differently or better in some ways than 5E.

Playing only D&D your entire gaming life is a bit like marrying your high school sweetheart. Honestly, yes, sometimes it works out--but there's a whole world out there to explore, and you might never discover what you're missing out on.

Happy to answer more questions. How many players do you expect to have? Do you plan to be the Dungeon Master? If you were to compare the kind of game you want to run to a movie, what movie would it be?
>>
man, go for starwars aoe or some other stawars stuff from the same guys . the system is great and not too complicated once you are usedmto it
>>
>>50951443
5e is a good place to start
>>
>>50951529
Oh, i heard this from a video of that autist Lindybeige. It seemed pretty convincing coming from a (apparently) experienced player
>>
>>50951581
Why would you ever listen to Lindybeige, of all people? Form your own opinions instead of relying on a talking face on a screen to do it for you. Especially when that talking face doesn't know anything about what it's talking about.
>>
>>50951607
K den.
>>
>>50951443
5e's fine, so long as you want fantasy. The nay-sayers are likely pathfinder cock-riders.
>>
>>50951541
Well, if that interests you, im expecting 4 guys, me included. I pretty much know that being a good GM requires experience, so of course i wont. Okay, it would be some (extra) gritty ASOIAF spin-off less all the cheap sex plebness.
>>
>>50951443
5e is a great place to start. I'm a newfag here myself and started at 5e. As far as I understand, some parts have been streamlined, but really, that makes it more accessible. I would recommend getting the pdfs of the player's handbook, DM's guide, and monster manual. You don't gotta buy physical unless you really want to. Most of all, have fun dude, /tg/ and tabletop in general can be amazing, and I hope you enjoy
>>
File: Cropped RTFM.png (2MB, 1083x1156px) Image search: [Google]
Cropped RTFM.png
2MB, 1083x1156px
>>50951443
Speaking from personal experience, 5e is a great starting point, especially if you're not an experienced GM yourself.
Some of the issues include
>It isn't 3.5e. There aren't millions of splatbooks with more options and there aren't options that totally break the game. The rules tend to be more fast and loose, to allow creative players to do more by the GM's approval instead of rule 345.3 A-III from PHB 2. No "deck building" minigames for character generation.
>It's not 4e. Intricate combat isn't built into every encounter, and classes/roles aren't perfectly balanced. Encourage your players to use creative approaches to keep combat fresh, such as using terrain or objects to their advantage. Do the same with the battlefields you present and the strategies of monsters. Yeah, the book says an improvised weapon does a minimum of 1d4 if it doesn't resemble a weapon, but how often is the fighter going to jump off a banister and ride a chandelier onto something? Make those moments special since they need to happen organically instead of being daily guaranteed powers.
>It isn't meant for playing things that aren't D&D. If you want a reasonably balanced game that's easy to learn and start off with and want it to feel like a quintessential D&D game, it's great. If you want to play Star Wars or Wild West or Detectives or Jojo's, use a different system. Because D&D is great at D&D, but the rules aren't special enough to use them over different specialized systems for other things.
>>
>>50951607
I'm sorry to interrupt this otherwise civil discourse, but I have to rage about "lol form ur own opinions".

I, for one, do not have the time to spend hundreds of hours playing multiple campaigns to develop a nuanced understanding of 5e.

Nor do I have time to do the same for the dozens of other rulesets that must be considered to make reasonable comparisons of what does and does not work.

Instead, I communicate with others to learn of their experiences, and aggregate them to arrive at a more-or-less accurate conclusion in a tiny fraction of the time it would otherwise take.

Being a creature capable of both learning and communicating is pretty great.

Sure would suck if someone could only learn by experiencing things themselves, I can't imagine they'd live very long.
They would almost certainly expire before being able to post aimlessly on a homo sapiens pixel redistribution website.

Rant concluded, civil discussion resumed.
>>
OP, ignore all the negative critique.

This is your first RPG, and EVERY system has flaws.

5e is, for better or worse, very simple, especially on the DM's end (which is typically rife with, at the very least, work that needs to be done for a DM that isn't experienced in the system), which is really, really important.

Yes, other systems could be better at certain things, and worse at others, but 5e is very streamlined, you won't be stuck in combat for 4 hours at a time, and offers easy-to-understand mechanics so you can grasp them, and get to playing quickly.

Start with it, because it requires the least time/effort investment, so if you guys figure out you aren't nuts about the whole experience, you'll have lost as little as possible, and if not, you can use each aspect of it to gauge what you like most about TTRPGs.
>>
>>50952704
>I, for one, do not have the time to spend hundreds of hours playing multiple campaigns to develop a nuanced understanding of 5e.

No, but you can at least open the book, read it, and possibly try it at least once. No, it doesn't get you a thorough and nuanced understanding of each and every single system, but it's more than enough to decide if you yourself like the damn thing or not.
>>
5e is phenominaly shit
>>
I would suggest Shadow of the Demon Lord as a first system. It's easier for the players and GM since it's more intuitive than 5e
>>
5e is wonderful and easy fun, some people bitch because it isn't as autism-inducingly complex, but in my opinion the simplicity is what makes it enjoyable.

Yeah, if I want a more complex game I'll go play something else, but half the time when I go to play those the folks who want the high-complexity bitch and complain and rules-lawyer all the time.

Every time I've played 5e, people just had fun, they played and roleplayed and enjoyed themselves. People didn't fight and bitch and moan, they had fun, and that tells me a lot about the quality about D&D 5e.

That's at least this autistic grognard's view on the matter, feel free to ignore.
>>
>>50952704
Just play a one shot. Nuance is for suckers. Play one, and if you're interested in playing more, do so. If not, then don't.

One shots are great.
>>
>>50951443
I'd say to not use D&D and use a way easier to learn system, but with D&D being the lowest common denominator rpg you'll probably just end up playing it anyways.
>>
>>50951834
>so of course i wont
So who will?
>>
>>50951443
D&D 5th edition is new and popular, but it is fairly complex and rules heavy. Every player needs to have read the book for it to work, you can't expect to just sit down at a table and start playing. It's geared towards high fantasy games and doesn't do gritty and realistic very well. If your players have played computer RPGs before I think they'll recognize the core concepts easily.

Bottom line, it's not my personal favorite but it's a safe middle of the road option to start with.
>>
>>50951443
You won't play any other RPG so just roll with it. D&D 5e is okay.
>>
>>50951443
Every version of D&D (that includes Pathfinder, which is the worst of them all) is bad for new players and GMs alike. All they do is teach bad habits, instill wrong expectations and make people afraid of learning other system because they think that every other RPG is just as obtuse.

As for newcomer-friendly RPGs, nothing beats Ryuutama and Apocalypse World, but Dungeonslayers and Beyond the Wall would work just fine, too.
>>
>>50951443
D&D 5th isn't bad, by any measure. Even though character creation can be a little arduous on the first time through, when you get to playing, they've simplified the system pretty well, the Proficiency bonus being a huge boon to reduce numberfiddling.

But I'd say that if you can handle 5e, you can probably start looking at different games with ease.

Although, I will tell you that steering the entire group away from playing D&D will be hard afterwards. People get surprisingly attached to games they play and insist on not playing anything else.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.