[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been thinking of running a tabletop version of Darkest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Darkest-Dungeon.jpg (176KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Darkest-Dungeon.jpg
176KB, 1600x900px
I've been thinking of running a tabletop version of Darkest Dungeon and want to pitch the idea to my group, but I want to have an idea of what dice rolling systems I'd be adapting the game towards beforehand. I've heard in the past that the game already runs on a d8 system so I thought it might be pretty easy to port, but I feel like I'm missing nuances without actually looking at what formulas they use for the game themselves.
So anyone know if there are there any systems around here or somewhere else that have done this before? Or am I delving into other mostly unorganized homebrew attempts from other fans?
>>
>>50943675
Depends how closely you want to cleave to the game. Are you trying to rehash the game in tabletop, or just have something with the same general tone and some of the mechanics (dungeon>town>dungeon cycle, stress, etc)?
>>
>>50943698
I'd like to carry over as many of the mechanics as possible, but I'm more than willing to cut things out to make it work more as an experience than as a rehash. I'm not worried about variety from the game itself as I'm pretty familiar with homebrewing stuff by now and can manage if I get the system together, but I need to actually get that together first.
If there's a system that already exists that would work with basically the same experience though I wouldn't mind just learning that. It just sounded fun to port it and I was interested in the challenge.
>>
File: 1453195916500.png (310KB, 1112x1094px) Image search: [Google]
1453195916500.png
310KB, 1112x1094px
I'll bump once to see if anyone has anything else they wanna add, but if not then I'll let this die. Just wanted to see what you guys had to say on the matter.
>>
>>50943675
To be honest you would be best off just grabbing one of the higher lethality OSR games. Try LotFP or Into the Odd.

The best bits of Darkest Dungeon aren't the shuffle mechanics or the town cycles but the atmosphere and style. I would preserve that rather than the mechanical end.
>>
>>50945305
Any of those you'd recommend over the others?

I wasn't interested in bringing back shuffling or anything like that. I was more going to bring it into a roleplay style of going out to do missions for cleaning up the world and having a tangible effect, coming back to new events, resupplying any learning more about the world, etc. I agree the game is strongest in its presentation though.
>>
>>50946706
Everything you mention can and probably should be done via roleplay and DM style rather than specific mechanics. Actually this style and the whole game is definitely up the OSR alley.

Also some anon from /osrg/ made this.
>>
>>50947579
Yeah I really want it to feel more like a tabletop than Darkest Dungeon, but I feel like the game has so many things in the numbers that lend itself to tabletop that I wanna give it a try.

Thanks a ton m8. I'm not super familiar with OSR, but I'll give this a read and see how it feels
>>
>>50943675
Why would you want to adapt the worst part of the game to table top?
choose a fantasy system a make a translation, hell 5th edition has pretty mugh all you need, just change the names of some clases and remove races to fit in the mood.
>>
>>50947907
I'm confident I can translate the rest without the numbers. I just wanted to see if it would be easier to keep the numbers in game, cause I don't think they're that bad or unworkable, or if I should just go with a new system.

5e could work, but it has some very different rules and I feel like that's more trouble than it's worth for what I'm looking for.
>>
>>50943675
lotfp or WHRP 2e
>>
>>50948338
Thanks! Hearing and seeing a lot of LotFP it seems. Collecting stuff to read about that now.
>>
>>50943675
Heard Torchbearer might be what youre looking for, never checked it out myself tho
>>
>>50948460
Yeah it seems I'll have to check that out as well.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.