[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you handle dragons in your campaign? I like to make mine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

How do you handle dragons in your campaign?

I like to make mine powerful, alien, and unpredictable even if they're good-aligned. After all, all can expect to live over two thousand years, so they'd have very different minds than humans. I also drop the chromatic/metallic alignment restrictions. Many chromatics are evil, but they aren't forced to be by nature--same with metallics and good.

Pic sort of related: a dragon necromancer
>>
File: Dragon Species.png (669KB, 477x624px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Species.png
669KB, 477x624px
They're hungry. They have nothing but want, they need nothing but desire everything.
>>
File: hMGkLY4.png (149KB, 499x798px) Image search: [Google]
hMGkLY4.png
149KB, 499x798px
I rarely use them, because most players will try to kill them and loot their lairs.
And I, secretly being a dragon otherkin, don't want dragons to die in my games.
My players don't know about it, and I've got plenty of other enemies to use in my games.
>>
>>50931960
Maybe have their CR way above the PC's level--4th level meeting an adult, or something like that?
>>
File: copper.png (584KB, 800x529px) Image search: [Google]
copper.png
584KB, 800x529px
>>50931469
They wear pants. A guy with 20 int isn't going to just walk around with his balls hanging out.
>>
>>50932142
I rarely GM fantasy campaigns now, mostly 40k.
But in DnD, I try to make dragon encounters memorable and awe-inspiring.
I remember the look on my players faces when they realized that they were manipulated by a blue dragon in my long -running DnD 3.5 campaign for several years of in-game time (about 6 months and 50 sessions IRL). It's a long story, and I doubt I'll be able to tell it in my non-native language.
And sometimes things could be awkward.
Once I ran a solo DnD 5 game for a girl, also a dragon otherkin. She played a silver dragon bloodline draconic sorceress, and I decided to run Lost Mines of Phandelver for her. Her encounter with a green dragon in the ruins of Thundertree was rather awkward to roleplay. Because she was RPing her character as awe-struck and very nice to the green dragon, who also took a liking to her - he was a young dragon, and she was part-dragon and hand 20 CHA. The fact I'm also green, and her character scale color matched her own made it even more personal. Yeah, I had a crush on her.
>>
>>50932143
>Once I ran a solo DnD 5 game for a girl, also a dragon otherkin. She played a silver dragon bloodline draconic sorceress, and I decided to run Lost Mines of Phandelver for her. Her encounter with a green dragon in the ruins of Thundertree was rather awkward to roleplay. Because she was RPing her character as awe-struck and very nice to the green dragon, who also took a liking to her - he was a young dragon, and she was part-dragon and hand 20 CHA. The fact I'm also green, and her character scale color matched her own made it even more personal. Yeah, I had a crush on her.
The green dragon encounter was fun for my party. We befriended it and got its help. Though I must say, a silver falling for a green is a rare occurrence indeed, but not an impossible one.
>>
>>50931469
Depends. In my homebrew, dragons are largely uninterested at worst, and total bros at best. The elder dragons are great conversationalists, and can't resist a little verbal sparring with the squishier beings and a little physical sparring with the tougher ones. If, for some reason, you kill a dragon, you won't just invite the wrath of their fellow dragons. You'll bring down the wrath of their many, many friends and family, mortal and immortal. You don't want to do that.
>>
>>50932143
Your dragons have tits?
>>
I was reading the Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England and came across this gem of contemporary geography, courtesy of William Horman:
>There is such hatred between the dragons and the elephant that one will kill the other.
And I thought this was so fun that I want to make my dragons and my elephants enemies, but I'm not sure if that means I'll have to make animalistic dragons or intelligent elephants. Perhaps a mix of both. We will see.
>>
Game I'm playing in right now: Dragons are massive monsters, the largest of which are stronger then the gods [who to be fair, are just high level adventurers with immortality of the 'doesn't die naturally' variety]. Gives them a bit of a Mesopotamian vibe [along with sea serpents] of "this monster is scary even to the gods themselves!"

Games I usually run: They're big, powerful, and usually have civilizations of kobolds near their lairs if they're evil.
>>
>>50931469
>How do you handle dragons in your campaign?
I'm my setting, dragons are exceptionally rare and powerful.
The PCs are unlikely to encounter one and if they do, it would very likely kill them effortlessly if provoked.
There was a recent draconic war so most dragons just want to be left alone to rest.
They are all intelligent, capable of magic, and grow to be huge.
Most are incredibly arrogant, vain, and territorial.
Chromatic and metallic elements exist to them, but are not rules and breath weapons vary per Dragon.

Of course, very little about dragons is known by the common people.
Most people don't even know that dragons are rare.
They think wyverns are young dragons and there are swarms of wyrverns.
Wyverns are as intelligent as humans but have no interest in people, speech, or civilization.
Think Jurassic Park raptors with wings and porpoise+ intelligence.
>>
>>50933138
Replace giants with elephants in your setting and it might work
>>
>>50933300
I like this a lot
>>
>>50935358
Thanks.
I try to hit the key points of any race while fitting them into the setting as a whole.
>>
>>50932483
meant for
>>50932438
>>
>>50931469

>How do you handle dragons?

Tenderly and by the cloaca.

>In your campaigns?

Tenderly using my cloaca.
>>
>>50931469
I actually used a necromancer dragon as an arc boss in my campaign.

He was using a human form most of the time and actually built a cult dedicated to himself. Still died like a bitch, though.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.