[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 30

File: 1482485826248.jpg (63KB, 564x916px) Image search: [Google]
1482485826248.jpg
63KB, 564x916px
>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>>50905034
Previous thread.

What's the class you see most often in your groups? Least often?
In my personal experience, there are a lot of fighters and warlocks, plenty of swashbuckler rogues too. But I never see any druids at all.
>>
>>50912676
My group is almost always Rogues, Monks and Bards.
We never had a paladin.
Clerics are rare cause they hate using magic to heal and we almost always have a guy with the healers kit and herbalist kit.

I want to play a Tranquility monk next time

Tranquility Monk/Thief with expertise in medicine and the healers kit + healer feat.
>>
>>50912676
>What's the class you see most often in your groups?
Fighter, rogue
>Least often?
Warlock, druid
>>
>What class do you see most often?
Rogues and Fighters, for sure.

>Least often?
Warlock. 3 campaigns and have yet to have a Warlock, even with multiple player deaths.
>>
>>50912676
Most often is Bard, there is always a Bard. Least often is Sorceror, only class we have never had for some reason.
>>
Barbarian, we ALWAYS have a Barbarian.

Speaking of Curse of Strahd, would this be balanced for a Vistani as a subrace?

+1 to Charisma, +1 to one stat of your choice.
+1 Skill Proficiency, +Slight of Hand Proficency
Can cast Hex as a 1st level spell twice per long rest using Charisma as your casting stat.

Human Varient with one of your stats locked into Cha, your feat locked into Arcane Initiate (Warlock) but get no cantrips, 2 casts. Slight of Hand is on top. Seem good enough to be worth taking and also thematic to the gypsy folk? I'd rather have more options for players rerolling new characters than "You stumble across a Dwarf Warrior who was also trapped in Barovia."

Any other "Races/Subraces" it might be worth statting out? Tempted to allow the "Undead" from the PDF we keep seeing but I think everyone will want to be one, and tempted to stat up some kind of Mongrelfolk race.
>>
>>50912783
> Vistani subrace
This is a terrible idea for one specific reason - vistani, unlike everyone else, can leave Barovia.
>>
>>50912783
I've had my player party in CoS receive reinforcements from the following sources:
1) Had one of players playing Ireena
2) Had one of players playing a friendly revenant
3) Had a player playing Muriel Vinshaw.
4) Had a player as Van Richten's student arrive from Darkon
>>
Does anyone know if a collection of the art assets from Volo's was ever leaked or released anywhere? I found a few random pieces here and there from the artists but it didnt have the specific stuff I was looking for. I own volo's on roll20 and fantasy grounds, is it possible to rip the assets from either of those to use elsewhere?
>>
>>50912676
Most often is Fighter, we always seem to have a standard fighter, and we always have a Cleric trying to do something very unclericy. Blaster-Caster light/tempest clerics who refuse to take any support spells, Nature Clerics trying to be a Druid, Trickery Clerics pretending to be a Rogue.

The only traditional Religious armoured folk we had was actually a Rogue Charlatan.

Least often, is bard, despite several players wanting to play a Bard no one ever actually does.
>>
>>50912802
>This is a terrible idea for one specific reason - vistani, unlike everyone else, can leave Barovia.

They can, at Strahds permission, which is why they are his spies and servants.

Any Vistani who dare defy Strahd, mess with his plots, aid and ally with the heroes significantly, or simply piss him off slightly, lose this privelidge.
>>
>>50912676
Most often is warlock and druid.
Least often is Bard and Wizard
>>
>>50912858
But that's wrong. It's werewolves who can leave at Strahd's permission. Vistani can leave Barovia at any moment's notice, period, because Strahd gave permission to come and go to their whole nation before even becoming a vampire.
>>
>>50912783

I would do Vistani as a Background, not a Race.
>>
>>50912676
>most often
rogue

>least often
cleric
>>
Lots of Wizards in my groups. Not so many barbarians. Everything else seems to pop up normally.
>>
>>50912904
Hm, do you think "Cast Hex once a day" will be too strong of a background perk though as they are almost always noncombat utility ones. Proficiencies and that can be crap as an attempt to balance it.

Or maybe add it as "Up to twice a day, a Vistani may spend a hit die to cast Hex as a 1st level spell." so it is costing their healing reserves.
>>
>>50913033
>do you think "Cast Hex once a day" will be too strong of a background perk
Yes.
>>
File: thug life.jpg (33KB, 622x478px)
thug life.jpg
33KB, 622x478px
Warlock

>Least often?
Monk
>>
>>50912676
All my campaigns have had a fighter, a rogue, and a bard.
>>
>>50912676
I posted this in the last few threads, but here y'go My Custon Weapon Framework and Weapon Set:
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BycRANgSx
>>
What's the most high fantasy premade adventure?
>>
>>50913449

Assault on Gumdrop Mountain
>>
How compatible are 3.5 monster stat blocks with 5e?
>>
>>50912676
That picture is awesome. IS there some kind of necromancer/druid-ish class type thing?
>>
>>50913591
Death cleric-druid works.
>>
>>50913591
I love the pic also. So cute.
>>
What are the tiers for the classes and archetypes?
>>
>>50913537

Not at all.

The conversion to 5e isn't that difficult, from what I've heard, though
>>
>>50913613

Average tier: everything.
>>
>>50913613
Needs Help Tier: 4 Elements monks, blade pact warlocks, pre-revision rangers

Fine Tier: everything else
>>
>>50913591
>>
>>50913613
in comparison to 3.x tiers, most classes in 5e are average, in tier 3 or 4 in that they're capable of doing most things required of them fairly well. Some are lower down than others, most notably the 4-element monks (due to chi inefficiency) and early beastmaster rangers (action economy inefficiency), but on the whole, there's no major gap as there was with CoDzillas vs., say, the CW Samurai as there was in 3.x
>>
>>50912676

Paladin

>Least often?
Bard
>>
>>50913591
Druid UA, Circle of Twilight
>>
>>50913613
Tier 1 (can do anything, all the time): Clerics, wizards, bards
Tier 2 (can do most things some of the time): Druids, warlocks, paladins
Tier 3 (can do one thing most of the time): Fighters, Rogues, Barbarians
Tier 4 (total shit): Rangers, monks

So, basically the same as 3.x. The only thing 5e really changed was simplifying the rules (semi-good idea), rolling all the level-based bonuses into one thing (good idea), and turning all the interesting effects into shitty damage types (horrid idea).

It's still the same unbalanced shit-heap, except better balanced, and the imbalance is hidden behind a wall of once-per-day abilities. The superior choice is still either D&D 4e or AD&D depending if you want heroic heroes or semi-heroic dungeon crawling.
>>
>>50913755
Sort of the opposite of a necromancer/druid although I guess it does still do funky necrotic damage lifegain stuff.
>>
File: Bait1.png (66KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
Bait1.png
66KB, 625x626px
>>50913833
>>
>>50912676

Most often, it's been rogues. Everybody likes being sneaky stabby guy.

Least often, I haven't seen a druid yet. Seen one of every other class, but no druids. It's kinda weird, actually.
>>
>>50913833
Accurate, except rogues are tier 1 if thief or arcane.
>>
File: aqwr.jpg (199KB, 1920x1080px)
aqwr.jpg
199KB, 1920x1080px
>large Firenewt armies are pouring in from the shores
>many mounted on domesticated dinosaurs bred for battle and war
>they come to the mainland in hopes to capture dragon eggs and breed them for the same mounting and war purpose as dinosaurs

What is going on in the campaign you are in, /5eg/?
>>
>>50913863
Other than the vitriol he's mostly right. It's a step up to see fighter, rogue, and barbarian in tier 3 when they were tier 5 classes that could creep onto tier 4 in 3.5

Monk is low tier 3, with Wot4E being tier 4 though. UA Ranger is high tier 3.
>>
>>50913881
Show me how a rogue opens a portal to another plane. That's the kind of stuff that gets you on tier 1, not combat ability.
>>
>>50913833

ye so funny, anon.

>>50913898

It's not right. But baiting more is useless.
>>
>>50913952
If you understood the tiers as they were in 3.5, being on tier 3 or above is potent enough to be a good character with no outside help. That only 1 class (that got a rewrite) and one archetype of another class is below that threshold is pretty good.
>>
I am trying to build a STR based beastmaster character. Is it a good idea to start at level 1 as a fighter, so I can get the heavy armor and the extra fighting style? UA beastmaster gets their "extra attack" equivalent at 3rd level, so I'm still basically a level ahead.
>>
Tiers are pretty useless, aside for the penis-measuring contests of 3.PF
>>
>>50913974
How are you doing starting ability scores? Heavy armor isn't that much better than medium if you can afford a 14 Dex without too much tradeoff. Get that pet advancing quicker. You're only really losing out on Great Weapon Fighting, since you can take Defensive fighting style on a ranger.
>>
>>50913970

Even if the tier part was right, and discounting the subjective stuff, the rest would still be wrong.

As for the tier thing, it's wrong already at the first line. None of those classes are tier 1, by the definition provided.
>>
Mentioned it in a previous thread, considering fleshing it out more
>Feudal Goblins, a Goblin society/nation based off Japan in the Warring States period
>These Goblinoids are more similar in appearance, with Goblins being as tall as 5'

Note that there is some rare exceptions to the caste system, such as a particularly skilled Goblin becoming a noble through battlefield promotions

Hobgoblins: the Nobles and Samurai; middle and high caste
>Hobgoblin Warrior variant, +1 STR, replaces +1 INT
>Hobgoblin Politician variant, +replaces +2 CON/+1INT with +1 CON/+1 CHA/+1INT "You are proficient with one Martial weapon of your choice and the Persuasion and Deception skill", uses Saving Face more for social situations (After rereading it's description there's no need to change it)

Goblins: the Peasants, commoners, low-ranking soldiers, and Merchants; low and middle castes
>Goblin Peasant/Manual Laborer/Soldier variant, your size is Medium, replaces Ability Score changes and abilities with +1 to STR, DEX, CON and 2 skills
>Goblin Peasant/Manual Laborer/Soldier "variant-variant", your size is Medium, replaces Ability Score changes and abilities with +1 to an Ability Score and skill of your choice, +1 Feat (Weaker than Variant Human because Darkvision)
>Goblin Merchant variant, replaces Ability Score changes with +2 DEX, +1 CHA, replaces "Fury of the Small" with "Art of the Deal", "When you roll to haggle with a creature to buy or sell items you're trading with, you can add your level+your Proficiency bonus (In addition to normal Persuasion proficiency or expertise) to the Persuasion roll. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Bugbears: The rural mountain men and trappers (And Mountain Bandits) caste varies based on personal accomplishments from peasants to Nobles who fought their way to the top in wars. also in charge of the not-Shinto/Buddhist religion, Priests are somewhat outside the caste system.
>no ideas for Bugbear variants yet
>>
>>50913974

Well all you'd be missing would be the extremely shitty Ranger capstone (and most games never go to 20 anyway). If you're completely deadset on heavy armor, then yeah, there's no better way to get it then to do your first level as fighter.
>>
What do you think of the Paladin UA?

Those archetypes don't seem very good, at first glance, but I haven't made a side-by-side comparison
>>
>>50914068
Treachery has a good spell list. Conquest has good synergy with a fear-based party, and it has good channel divinity options because they don't require actions to use, much like Battle Master maneuvers.

Treachery's poison damage ability is quite strong early game but evens out as your level. It's good because it's like a no-concentration smite spell that stacks with Divine Smite and allows the paladin to maintain invisibility.
>>
>>50914068

Ruleswise, the archetypes are fine. They're actually pretty fucking rad, in a lot of ways.

I don't like that they just dumped two more evil options for Paladins on us, seems a little lame to me. Would've liked it more had they given us a good option and an evil option. There's now almost as many evil options in the game as there are good options, which just feels stupid to me. It's a fucking paladin. Paladins have always been heroic, blessed knights, whereas these two archetypes feel like edgy faggot options.
>>
>>50914141
They wrote evil fluff for Conquest but that's easy enough to make non-evil. It's only evil from an outsider's point of view. For the people the paladin serves, he's probably seen as good.
>>
>>50914068
As a player I love them, because one fits the first paladin concept I came up with when I was like 14 (narcissistic paladin who derives power from his own narcissism)

As a DM I fucking hate it because 2 of my players have a boner for playing edgelord characters
>>
>>50914152

Oh, it's definitely the least evil of the two. But it also has some warlock spells, it relies on scaring enemies, and the tenets of the oath involve shit like completely destroying hope, and ruling with an iron fist. So even a good Oath of Conquest is going to be a massive edgelord, and good god am I sick of that shit. Paladins are supposed to be the bright shining beacon of hope.

Even Vengeance, the one that is usually pointed to as being the edgelord paladin option, has a tenet where you have to help out those harmed by evil's misdeeds. And that one flat out says you should destroy evil by any means necessary. It was more than dark enough; we didn't need another one like it.
>>
File: whisper.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px)
whisper.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>>50914167
>because one fits the first paladin concept I came up with when I was like 14 (narcissistic paladin who derives power from his own narcissism)

Whisper can do it!
>>
>>50914254
>it relies on scaring enemies, and the tenets of the oath involve shit like completely destroying hope, and ruling with an iron fist.

That kind of stuff is advocated in ancient wisdom writings on war. The idea is that such displays prevent unnecessary conflict when done right. It's not a totally evil concept.
>>
Oath of Conquest is basically what you want to play Darth Vader.
>>
The talk of guns the other day made me think a bit on it. Here's a take on it as Guns as a Cantrip usable by non-casters.

>Dwarvish Rifle
>150 gp
>1d8+1d4 magic damage
>Ammunition (Range 150-600), Two Handed, Special, Magic Ranged, Loud, Loading (Does not benefit from Loading feats)
>Loud- This weapon makes an extremely loud noise when used, loud out to 300 feet and audible out to one mile.
>Magic Ranged- If you are a spellcaster, you can substitute your DEX for your spellcasting ability for attack and damage rolls. Shots from this weapon count as magic for bypassing enemy resistances and immunity to nonmagic weapons.
>Special- Magic Bullets, when you load a bullet, choose a damage type: Fire, Lightning, or Thunder. The bullet fired deals an additional 1d4 of the selected damage type. This damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).

Thoughts? I'm thinking as of now it'd be a Rare/high end Uncommon magic item.
>>
>>50914068
Treachery spells are so fucking baller I'm seriously tempted to play one (and I -hate- half/no casters)

The only weak part are the 5th level spells. Dominate is nice but unless your CHA is maxed they'll probably save. Passwall is 'eh' but can have niche uses.
Grab Resilient (Con) and you'll be a murder machine with great AC (Full + Shield + Haste) attacking 3 times a round possibly smiting with a Mirror Image on for good measure.
Then theres the invisibility, charm person, and expeditious retreat for out of combat (Cause cheating at races is fun)
>>
>>50914358

Seems pretty cool to me. Will it require attunement? I feel like, especially if it's able to use a spellcaster's spellcasting ability, it should use up an attunement slot.
>>
>>50914396
As of now I'm thinking it doesn't "need" attunement, but it does to use your spellcasting ability for attacks.
>>
5megaanon, you here?

I just noticed that when you sort by CR, it goes alphabetically: 1 < 1/2 < 1/4 < 2.

What you could do is make a custom compare function for CRs that gives the correct order. Or alternatively store the CRs as decimals
>>
>>50914329

That's a good point. I guess I'm just miffed more on how they presented the class. Specifically using "hell knights" as the one example just makes the whole thing feel more evil than it is.

If I was playing one and wanted to make it feel at least slightly non-evil, I'd probably go with a "fear of god" style paladin, converting the nonbelievers through fear and completely destroying evil. I mean, you get insect plague later, so it's pretty fitting. I think that could be pretty fun, even if it's still way too grimdark for my taste.
>>
>>50914358
No such thing as magic type damage. Should be piercing damage (+ counting as magical for resistances, if you want).

Also maybe disadvantage against targets within 10-15 feet instead of just 5 feet.

Also maybe if fired in an enclosed space, creatures in a 5 foot radius make a DC 15 constitution save or are deafened for 1 minute

And no don't let spellcasters use their ability to shoot, that doesn't make any sense. This is already more powerful than fire bolt. Why not let the martials be better at something for once. MAYBE add it to attack rolls, but not damage rolls. Unless you're fluffing it as the spellcaster creating the ammunition themselves?

Btw, 1d8+1d4 has exactly the same average, min and max as 2d6. It just has a more flat distribution. So in a sense it's more reliable than a single die but less reliable than two of equal size.
>>
>>50914068
The oath of treachery seems weird to me, conceptually, since it's not actually an oath at all, but the lack of one. It works great for a paladin who falls, but it's really weird if you're going to play a paladin, reach level 3, and be like "syke! I'm not going to swear any oaths at all!" and still get powers for it. I mean, I guess if that's what you were planning all along, that's pretty treacherous, but under ordinary circumstances I would disallow a character from gaining a 3rd level in paladin if they refuse to swear an oath.
>>
>>50914358
Sounds like a good way to aggro every creature in the dungeon to your location
>>
>>50914522
>magic type damage
It's Force now.
>>
>>50914358
Clunky as hell. Making your feats not work is not fun and is an obvious patch, using your magic ability modifier makes no sense and is pointless (especially since if you're a spellcaster you'll already have at least one attack cantrip,) it's ambiguous whether the magic ammunition is different from the extra "magic damage" of the weapon, and in general it's just unnecessary and stupid. I don't like it.
>>
>>50914539
It seems to me like it's meant to be an NPC option, but eh, weird thing to make 50% of an UA
>>
>>50914539

I think you can fluff it as being something interesting (e.g. a paladin of freedom who renounces gods, kings, and ideology and trusts only in themself) but it is a weird one for PCs to take.
>>
>>50914559
That's the best damage type in the game btw
>>
>>50912754
weird. I love playing warlocks for some reason. My last 2 characters were Warlocks. I enjoy them.
>>
>>50914712
Our fighter is going to multiclass into one next level for the fuck of it.

Never seen one in action.
>>
Why don't all skills have a passive
>>
>>50914809
because 5e designers wanted to say fuck you to what may have been a good idea at some point, and they got lazy halfway through.
>>
>>50914809
Because that would make no sense and waste a ton of space on a character sheet. You can perceive something without really looking for it, but you can't, say, just happen to unconsciously climb a wall or practice medicine.
>>
>>50912754
Not even a 2 level dip into Warlock? Some of those invocations are pretty sick but there's really no point in playing full Warlock imo.
>>
>>50914358
I can't really see a use for it for anybody aside from rogues, and rogues might not even be able to use it because what the fuck is 'magic ranged'.

You need someone who:
1. Doesn't have any extra attacks.
2. Doesn't have good cantrip scaling.
3. Has free hands to use (not using a shield).
4. Is actually allowed to use it (say, rogues need it to be a 'ranged weapon' and one of their weapon proficiencies, probably)

Simply put, if it's a martial weapon then it's honestly quite useless since only, say, a multiclassing wizard might be able to use it, and they'd rather have a shield. And then, a multiclassed rogue might have reason to use it given they can't make ranged weapon attacks with a shield. Shame though, because a rogue would probably rather use a hand crossbow with crossbow mastery since that gives them two chances of sneak attack.

However, it's not a bad item. A party can give these rifles to hirelings, which is exactly a good way to use guns - easy to use for even peasntry.
Also, I guess there are certain times it might be good to be shooting fire bolts with a gun, or you just want to blow up some rock with it.
>>
File: passive checks.png (849KB, 610x619px)
passive checks.png
849KB, 610x619px
>>50914809

Technically, they can. Even if the character sheet only mentions Passive Perception, read this bit here. Any time the DM wants the players to do something without rolling dice, you can use these rules to determine it. Now, honestly I fail to see how this is useful for the majority of skills, but it's still there.
>>
>>50914809

Because you can't passively do an active thing.
>>
>Most common class in your group?
Sorcerer

>Least common class in your group?
Wizard and Rogue
>>
>>50914960
It's useful for dealing with retarded players who think that an natural 20 on a skill check can accomplish anything, and also the equally retarded players who think that a natural 1 on an ability check should always result in some kind of humiliating pratfall or other slapstick.
>>
So we know dragons are smart as fuck.

How smart are freshly hatched wyrmlings, though? Like, infant levels? Or are they intelligent out of the gate like some other creatures?
>>
>>50914960
>roll in secret the NPC's perception against the PC's passive stealth
I dunno
>>
>>50914960
I guess it's matter of the DM lowering DCs for stuff a character of their level should be able to do.
>>
>>50915048

Depends on the dragon, first off. Secondly, check the MM. On average, they have 10 or slightly above, which is average human intelligence, meaning a baby dragon is about as smart as a fully grown human. The only one that starts off below 10 is the belovedly retarded white dragons, whose wyrmlings have an intelligence of 5. So they're pretty fucking stupid, but still above infant levels.
>>
>>50912879
Maybe Strahd can deny them that ability, especially with those who pisses him off. Where is their ability to come and go as they please spelled out?
>>
>>50915044
That's more of the 'take ten' rule. In 5e, they'd rather say 'don't take ten, it just fucking happens if it's something you can normally do.'
>>
>>50913645
I read that as fun tier: everything else.
>>
Is there any official ruling on how blindsight interacts with hiding/stealth in 5th edition?
>>
>>50913833
You forgot sorcerers you cuntnugget.
>>
>>50914022
This is the most accurate.

That other anon clearly does not know what the tier system means or represents.
>>
>>50915048

Dragons are born knowing multiple languages, so I'd say they're fairly smart.
>>
Anyone know a fun 5e one-shot?
>>
>>50915364
Death House.
>>
Can you cast true polymorph on a willing ally and transform into a dragon or pit fiend, concentrate for an hour so that the effect last permantly or until the ally is reduced to 0 hit points ? It seems silly.
>>
>>50915364
What level should the one-shot be geared towards?
>>
>>50915416

Yes, that's what 9th level spells tend to do. They're silly and godlike in power. It's not quite as powerful as it seems though because it can still be dispelled, which by 17th level will not be uncommon. You can also turn yourself into a dragon and laugh as you're a wizard with more HP than the barbarian.
>>
>>50915416
By RAW, yes. However, you can only polymorph a creature into another creature of equal or lesser challenge rating. You can only transform level 20 characters into pit fiends.
>>
>>50915407
I doubt my noobs will be able to finish it in one session
>>
>>50915446
>>50915447

Christ's sake. Can you use the legendary resistances and actions of the target form ? the description doesn't say you can't.

>dispel magic
Makes sense. Though, you could transform your party and stay in wizard form to counterspell the dispel magic.
>>
Is there any spell or ability that would allow me to see through a Fog Cloud?
>>
>>50915550
Dispel Magic isn't guaranteed to take out a 9th level spell anyway unless the enemy has 9th level slots to spend on it. Otherwise they're trying to make a DC 19 check they don't have proficiency in unless they're an Abjurer.

Also, Cutting Words can fuck over and opposing Counterspell/Dispel Magic check.
>>
>>50915550
Legendary resistances and regular actions yes, legendary actions no.
>>
>>50915563
I'm not even sure if truesight will see through it.

You need either heat vision, tremorsense, blindsight or anything like that - they do not rely on light that's blocked by the fog cloud.

However, unless an enemy tries to hide from you, you will still know their location, though you will not be able to use abilities that require you to see them.
>>
>>50915348

Which is the most accurate?
>>
>>50915576

Imagine a party with a bard, a cleric a wizard and one pit fiend, that's ridiculous.
>>
>>50915446

Transforming yourself into a dragon is a huge gamble.

Anything that's worth transforming yourself into a dragon to deal with would be able to handle a dragon.
>>
So the nine hells are
>Fiery Avernus with multiple dukes for important shit
>Hot Iron Dis with Dispater for providing armies
>Swampy Minauros/Erebus as Dis' sewer with Mammon as the store house
>Phelgethon for stereotypical hell with Belial as the forges
>Oceanic Stygia with Geryon and books and secrets
>Malbogia-no idea
>Swampy Maladomini in D&D, Frozen Cocytus in PF both with Beelzebub for no reason in particular
>Caina, frozen in D&D/dark Iron cage in PF ruled by Mephistopheles for archives
>Nessus, a little bit of everything surrounding a fuckheug castle of Asmodeus where artefacts are kept
Did I get it right? I'm doing a lot of crap with the planes so I want to get em in order.
>>
>>50915705
This makes me think, what are the rules for having monsters fighting one another? I want to set a scene but I don't know how to make the forces even other than just having them be 1 monster with the same CR. Is it just an act of getting their XP values close as possible?
>>
File: kenku.png (104KB, 304x177px) Image search: [Google]
kenku.png
104KB, 304x177px
Are Kenku a bit weak or is it just me? Two skill proficiencies and mimicking sounds are both nice but not that powerful, forgery is very situational utility and that's it.
>>
>>50915705

It's not really a gamble though. Turn yourself into an adult gold or silver dragon, shapeshift into your old race and you're seemingly normal. And even then, it's 250ish temp HP on a wizard which is pretty strong on top of 3 legendary resistances a day. The idea isn't "rawr I only do dragon things!" it's "I'm a level 17 wizard who can also do everything a dragon does while being burly as fuck"
>>
>>50915619
>ndary resistances and regular actions yes, legendary actions no

Where does it say so ? Is it because you are still supposed to take your turns as a PC (action/bonus action/reaction) ?
>>
More info about the Mystic. Between the v2 test material and this, I'm pretty optimistic. Sounds like it's shaping up well.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/813999711132581888
>>
>>50915784
Watch it be cut down to 2 caster orders and a half caster fighter archetype by release.
>>
>>50914867
But you can. Hiking can be seen as a passive athletics. I'm an emt and noticing the pt's cyanosis as a lack of o2 is not an active check for me.
>>
>>50914522
Yeah I forgot to add its Piercing. The 1d4 is damage of choice from ammo (1d4 fire/thunder/lightning). "Magic Ranged" is just a weapon attribute like "Heavy" or "Versatile"

>>50914565
The lack of extra attacks is because it has damage scaling on level up

>>50914522
It just uses Sling ammo, propellant comes from the gun itself in the form of "magic bullshit". Think of it as a staff that casts Magic Stone. And yes, its a simple weapon so anyone can use it in theory
>>
>>50915761
Well, you could just describe the scuffle until the players join, if they do, and just fudge it as both monsters being at x% HP remaining

No need to go turn-by-turn unless the players are involved, IMO
>>
>>50915705
You needn't tranform yourself (the spellcaster that is) It's not a gamble at all, CR 20 means challenge for a party of PC's of level 20, so it is a net gain. Just check the stats of a pit fiend against a lvl 20 barbarian.

honestly a buffed up pit fiend (haste, bless, bardic inspiration) could go toe to toe with CR30 creatures.
>>
>>50915882
Fuck, meant to quote >>50915746
>>
>>50914614
I think both oaths fill gaps wanted by the community. Think about types of fringe paladins you see on /tg/

>Oath of Conquest
That guy who kills all the orc babies, is ruthless and dictatorial. How ruthless and dictatorial is up to the player. The tenants can be interpreted lighter then they appear as well. Absolute victory, favor/punishment according to law and rule by strength are not evil concepts in and of themselves.

>Oath of Treachery
Bitter war vet that was cannon fodder, solo investigator, inquisitor... I mean, I've seen a lot of paly stories start with this kind of character.

These both reach out to people who want to play the other sides of the paladin without being vengeful, or willing to compromise with evil.
The Lawful and Chaotic sides to the paladin, essentially.
>>
>>50915746

CR/XP value is an estimate of how strong the monsters are, but some monsters are strong/weak for their CR.

If you want to make to monsters fight, compare their combat capacities, armor, HPs, resistance/immunities, and the rest of their powers.

I thought about doing a "NPC fight club", where we'd compare two NPCs/monsters and see how they'd face off against each others.
>>
>>50913613
For classes, not counting multiclasses or multiclass potential:
Tier 1 : Paladin, Cleric, Wizard, Druid, Bard
Tier 2 : Warlock, Sorcerer, Rogue, Fighter, Barbarian
Tier 3 : Monk, Ranger

Tier 1 Explanation:
Paladin - Half-casting, good damage with burst potential, healing that can heal specific numbers (heal the downed ally for 1 repeatedly), powerful auras and a good deal of swag. Seriously, up to fucking +5 to everybody's saves, half magic damage taken and all that.
Cleric/Wizard/Druid/Bard - Full casters with good features.
Tier 2 Explanation:
Warlock/Sorcerer - Less versatile full casters, have things they're good at but other casters can do a wider range of things. Good multiclass material, however.
Rogue - Very all rounded, but master of nothing in particular other than high check rolls.
Fighter - Great feat compability and lots of ASIs, but doesn't do much else. Simplistic.
Barbarian - Tough. Exists to simply not die. Very frontloaded levels 1 to 5.

Tier 3 Expalanations:
Monk - Screwed over heavily with bad stats. Tier 2 if your DM is a fucker who always gives everybody high stats. No real damage upgrade beyond level 5, becomes a one-trick stunstick pony beyond that. Poor magic item compatibility, poor multiclass compatibility, not awfully tough despite demanding melee combat. Still a viable choice being in tier 3.
PHB Ranger - You get volley and you shoot stuff. At-will ranged AoE dispenser. Before that, a ranged EK without action surge.
>>
>>50915881
Meant to say staff that casts Catapult.
>>
Oath of treachery is really neat.
>>
>be a level 20 warlock
>true polymorph your imp into a lvl 1 warlock
>true polymoprh yourself into an imp
no one will ever know
>>
>>50916019

Getting advantage from a mirror image of yourself is pretty fucking rad. The rest of the abilities are cool, but that's the one that really sold me on it.
>>
>>50914971
Walking, juggling, talking, etc. When circumstances change to more difficult tasks or impediments then you must roll.
>>
Do any of the Archfiends have statblocks or naw?
>>
>>50916019
>>50916087
It's OP is what it is
>>
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Rogue,2

Added in Monster Hunter and Inquisitive from Gothic Heroes UA. Next: The Faithful.
>>
>>50916129

Depends if you consider Tiamat one or not.
>>
>>50916179
I thought she was just a lesser diety of chromatic dragons.
>>
>>50916129
A lot of the archdemons have stats in Out of the Abyss
>>
>>50915320
So did Wizkids. :^)
>>
>>50916172
thanks megaanon
>>
>>50915866
>hiking is passive
>Also, it's an Athetics check and not a Con check

Are you really retarded, or just pretending?
>>
>>50915775
I might be wrong about this, but I don't think RAW prohibits it. It becomes a problem because you get extra actions at the end of every one of your party members turns, which can cause balance issues and also steals the spotlight pretty hard.
>>
File: 1475182051091.jpg (309KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1475182051091.jpg
309KB, 707x1000px
>>50916172
You're a real hero, anon, a real human bean
>>
I've been toying around with a 6th level Lore Bard melee build. Let me know what you think /5eg/

V.Human
Two feats are Warcaster and Magic Initiate

At 6th take Shillelagh with Magical Secrets and while having Magic Initiate take Booming Blade from the Sorc list (along with Shield and a useful cantrip, message or prestidigitation maybe?)

Using his lute which becomes a d8+cha at Shillelagh he'd cast Dissonant Whispers which would force an opponent to move and provoke an AoO
He casts Booming Blade as his rxn when they move and deals 3d6+4d8+3 damage on a hit.
Think this is viable?
His AC is shit, but it seems pretty fun to be playing El Kabong
>>
>>50916314
>Also, it's a Con-based Athletics check
I dunno, are you? You do realize that a Skill need not be locked entirely to a single ability score, or just pretending?
>>
>>50916172
PRAISE
>>
>>50916204
Can you really call something one-shottable a deity?
Yes, more of a 'diety'. As in, poor diet.
>>
>>50916219
They're considered at the level of demigods or really weak lesser dieties, correct?
>>
File: Orcus.png (4MB, 870x2370px)
Orcus.png
4MB, 870x2370px
>>50916129
>>
>>50916390
>one-shotting 615 HP w/ 25 AC and immunity to spells of 6th level or lower
Yeah good luck with that
>>
File: 5e power of god.png (48KB, 882x229px)
5e power of god.png
48KB, 882x229px
>>50916450
WITHOUT using the Power of God, of course.
>>
>>50916361
Sounds like it'd be easier if your DM allows it to go 1 level into favoured soul sorcerer for medium armour and I think you might get shields. If you can shillelagh your lute, you can then cast anything with a somatic component and a material component without a spare hand, but you've got fucking warcaster so why not.
Then, you won't have to take the magic initiate and you can spend your feat at level 4 on actually getting charisma up.
>>
>>50916361
Forced movement doesn't provoke AoOs.
>>
>>50916509
Dissonant whispers isn't forced movement. The creature uses their reaction to move.
>>
>>50916424
>Orcus can make himself vulnerable to necrotic damage.
Oh, boy.

>>50916450
Yeah, without Nuclear Ghandi or Nuclear Twilight Druid it's a lot harder, and you'd put it as a one round thing perhaps with some non-UA exploits, likely featuring paladins and a lot of smiting and/or reaction attacks everywhere.
>>
>>50916593
Does vulnerability bypass immunity?
>>
>>50915761
bump
>>
>>50916509
>>50916533
I was also considering taking Compulsion at 7th so I could do it to anyone in a 30ft radius so i can leave my 1st level slots for other things.
>>
>>50916314
I guess I don't take retard asthmatic tubs of wadling lard into account. Because otherwise I don't know how one would fail a skill check to walk up a slightly inclined road.

Hey, moron, skill checks are more to determine if one fails, otherwise no roll is needed. Failure is brought about in situations that warrant it. I.E. your under attack or time pressured, otherwise a roll of 20 can be assumed.
>>
>>50916668
Well, you cannot be both resistant and vulnerable. By the wording of the spell, it appears that anything within the aura becomes vulnerable, regardless of its usual state. That's how a specific ability like that works, overriding a passive 'you are immune to necrotic damage' type ability or innate feature.

The only thing in the PHB that can be quoted I can find is

'Multiple instances of resistance or vulnerability that
affect the same damage type count as only one instance.
For example, if a creature has resistance to fire damage
as well as resistance to ali nonmagical damage, the
damage of a nonmagical fire is reduced by half against
the creature, not reduced by three-quarters'
>>
>>50916139
Sure. They need to be toned down. But conceptually the oath is rock solid.
>>
>>50916533
Coercion via blackmail should also be legal.
>>
>>50916593
Arrows of slaying and invisible assasins outside of her true sight range. With action surge, haste...

I'll make a screenshot if I can find it in the archive
>>
>>50916750
>You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when som eone or som ething m oves you without using your movement, action, or reaction.
>movement, action, or reaction.
>>
>>50916730

I'd rule that as immunity trumps vulnerability then. If they only count as one instance then a creature with vuln/immun to fire who took 40 fire damage would work like: 40 fire damage, reduced to 0 (immune), double to 0 (vulnerability).
>>
>>50916750
For some forms of black mail, yes. Threats of legal activity or releasing legally obtained information should be legal.
>>
>>50916730
That talks about resistance & vulnerability, not immunity, which presumably takes priority
>>
>>50916730
It doesn't matter where immunity is applied, it's going to end up taking precedence anyway.

Take 25 damage, apply immunity first for 0 damage, then double it for vulnerability, you're taking 0 damage.

Take 25 damage, double it for vulnerability, then apply immunity, you're taking 0 damage.
>>
File: Capture.png (56KB, 566x642px)
Capture.png
56KB, 566x642px
>>50916753
>>
>>50916204

She's also an Archfiend.
>>
>>50916753
Her? I can't honestly say I know.
>>
>>50916406
The only god that's been statted is Tiamat, so you can compare them to her. They're a bit weaker, but they're mostly playing a different game than deities, embodying the essence of their planes/alignments and getting a little power from everyone of that alignment rather than getting a lot of power from a few direct worshipers.
>>
>>50916954

Orcus also function as a god.
>>
>>50916943
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Tiamat
>>
The Paladin UA mention the Archdevil Bel, but didn't this fucker get rekt when the boss he betrayed turned the table on him?

Like, he ruled over the first layer for a bit, then got kicked out?
>>
>>50916989
Im aware of the female dragon, I was referring to orcus.
>>
>>50916984
He has a cult; that doesn't make him a god.
>>
>>50916750
There's a big difference between 'turns and runs away in fear' and 'fucking flies away from a thunderwave blast'

>>50916879
>>50916858
>>50916779
That all sounds like RAI, however. If we were to go by RAW... There honestly isn't any obvious RAW because normally this isn't supposed to happen, but it's possible that there might be a RAW that pretty much means that the ability simply replaces whatever the creature currently has.

Grave Cleric's feature gives the full details of what the ability does that if you use the ability on an immune creature, it becomes resistant instead, or a resistant creature takes normal damage.

If we assume grave cleric's feature is RAW-as-intended, the RAW-as intended might actually be that Orcus becomes resistant rather than immune to necrotic damage. But that's also not likely RAI because that's still kind of stupid.

Yes, RAWAI is now a thing.
>>
File: chump.jpg (72KB, 560x500px) Image search: [Google]
chump.jpg
72KB, 560x500px
>>50917149
Oh yeah?
>>
>>50917149
that's literally how gods work in forgotten realms, bro
if enough people believe you, you're a god. see: tchazzar
>>
>>50917149

He can grant Cleric their spells.

I know Clerics can get their spells by worshiping concepts, too, but here they're clearly subservient to Orcus
>>
How do I Cadence? Valor Bard?
>>
Skinning & harvesting animal parts: nature or survival?
>>
>>50917486
Survival. Nature is a knowledge skill.
>>
>>50917228
There's no conflict of rules. You apply double damage from vulnerability and then reduce it to 0 via immunity or vice versa. The result is 0 damage.
>>
>>50917486
>>50917495
Extracting poison is nature, but I doubt it would be an issue allowing survival
>>
>>50916424
Which book is this in?
>>
File: desperado.jpg (253KB, 1215x717px)
desperado.jpg
253KB, 1215x717px
Arcane Trickster 3/Divining Wizard 17
Wizard who uses their magic to cheat at card and dice games, and has a serious problem with gambling.
Good idea? (Perhaps refluffed to cast spells using Gambit/Twisted fate style cards)
>>
>>50917696
>level 20
>league of legends
>>
>>50917693
Out of the Abyss I think
>>
>>50917486
Survival or relevant tools, like leatherworking or cookware.
>>
File: Demon Lords.png (109KB, 321x219px)
Demon Lords.png
109KB, 321x219px
>>50917693
Out of the Abyss
>>
>>50917715
The concept still works once you hit level 5... You just need portent and invisible mage hand. Does Arcane Trickster 3/Divining Wizard X make it less horrible anon?
>>
>>50917696
>Spending years learning magic
>So you can cheat at games
Other arcane casters might fit better, maybe warlock or sorcerer; not sure if they get spells that would help with it or not though
>>
>>50917721
>>50917730
Ah, it's in the Adventures folder. Didn't think to check there.
>>
Who's the sexiest female Outsider, for you?
>>
>>50917779
He probably cheated somehow.
>>
>>50917574
That doesn't say anything from the PHB. By the way it's written, it appears almost as a trait of which there can be only one value for.

But, there is actually something I overlooked.
"Resistance and then vulnerability are applied after all other modifiers to damage."

Most important there is the 'and then'. So, there is actually a rule for resistance+vulnerability in that it would give (-0.5 original damage value round to nearest even number) damage. It doesn't mention immunity there though, but eh. I assume it's on a similar line.
>>
>>50917696
>League of legends

I think you want to start a fatal general and ask there.
>>
>>50915761
Last bump, maybe it is just me.
>>
>>50918224
Well two extra skill proficiencies is pretty ace but the other abilities are a way too situational. Also the mimicry is just what our GM has let us get away with as any character that has both high deception and performance in our group. Don't think I would ever play one unless I came up with some amazing reason. Would rather just use an Aarakocra (holy shit can't believe I spelt that correctly on the first go) if I wanted to be a bird man.
>>
>>50918224

I don't see the Kenku as having any kind of particular strength, which is particularly debilitating considering the massive fluff debuff on them. I don't think I'll ever play one.
>>
>>50918353
>>50918354
Thanks for the input. I'm toning down the "literally can't be creative or invent anything" part and making them more hoarders of knowledge and undercover cops / infiltrators / spies rather than just regular criminals, so hopefully they don't become entirely undesirable.
>>
Thoughts on this class? Has anyone used it before?
>>
>>50917574
Because it doesn't need to mention immunity. Immunity's function doesn't change just because vulnerability is also applied. It's a 0 multiplier, and real numbers multiplied by 0 are 0.
>>
>>50918638
>pathfaggotry
The aegis and enspell features are too retarded to keep reading.
>>
I've looked over the Valor Bard a few times now, but I'm just not seeing it. It doesn't seem very good to me. I'm certain I'm missing something. What's the key to a Valor Bard? What makes it good?
>>
File: 4 (2).png (10KB, 92x112px) Image search: [Google]
4 (2).png
10KB, 92x112px
DM's, have you had your PC's encounter a dragon yet?

What level were they when you first put them up to the task?
>>
>>50918789
It's a late bloomer. The best feature is the level 14 one that most people on /tg/ never get to.

It does more at-will damage than a Lore bard, but it's kind of silly to play a bard to be a primary damage dealer.
>>
>>50918754
What's wrong with them Anon?
>>
>>50918824

Yeah, the campaign I'm thinking of using a Bard for won't even make it to 14th level.
>>
>>50917228
> Grave Cleric's feature gives the full details of what the ability does that if you use the ability on an immune creature, it becomes resistant instead, or a resistant creature takes normal damage.

You are wrong even in this case. Grave cleric's ability get rid of immunity and resist

> If the creature has resistance or is immune to
the damage, it instead loses its resistance or
immunity against that spell or attack when it
first applies damage

So yeah, you might want to reconsider all your bias theory all over again.
>>
>>50918841
The +1 stuff that escalates to +3 with no additional cost is pure 3.PF wankery that doesn't fit into 5e.

It's a Paladin with Eldritch Knight features tacked on and too much free spellcasting for a half-caster.
>>
>>50918821
Not as GM but my party met a brass dragon not 5 sessions ago. He knew the world was ending but was cursed by Tiamat to be unable to go to the material plane, using animated sets of armor to gather up mages and put them to cryo-sleep so that when the world needed rebuilding post-apocalypse they could do that. Two of the party got captured like idiots and we got him to release them, returned his magical sword that we got a few years ago, and left.
>>
>>50917420
is this an established character?
>>
>>50918891
Alright thank you for the input.
>>
>>50918638
Can't be arsed to read through all of it but from a glance it looks like it has the same problem I find the majority of homebrew classes have of, why does this need to exist? I mean flavour wise its just another arcane user with sword. Great, their are like 3+ ways to do that officially already.
>>
>>50918841
>>50918891
This. The author doesn't know how to calculate stuff within bound accuracy.
>>
>>50918821
I had a genie grant my low level PC's powerful buffs so they could fight a dragon for his amusement.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (94KB, 434x752px)
Capture.jpg
94KB, 434x752px
>>50912676
Still working on that Crystal Chronicles supplement and I've never created my own 5e monster that wasn't based off of something else

How does this look? The point of the Moogle is to fill in for a player character with basic offensive magic, a few utility spells, and a small batch of heals, mostly for emergencies.

Tell me if something should be changed. Also, if I stat out a Moogle, would making a Moogle PC race be redundant?
>>
File: 1434487428700.gif (2MB, 252x280px)
1434487428700.gif
2MB, 252x280px
>>50918638
>that bow art
>>
File: diebait.png (21KB, 625x790px)
diebait.png
21KB, 625x790px
>>50913833
>>
>>50918945
>their
Meant there* obviously, don't drink and post anons.
>>
Attempt 2 of cantrip gun. Assume it uses a heavy crossbow stats unless noted otherwise.

In fact you can just make it a crossbow if your setting doesnt have guns.

>1d10 piercing, ranged, loading, special, ammunition, counts as magic for resistances
>Special: If attuned to this weapon, on your turn you can use your action to fire a magic shot instead of a normal shot. Make a ranged attack roll. You can substitute your spellcasting ability for the attack and damage roll. On a hit, the shot deals an extra 1d6 fire, thunder, or lightning damage. This extra damage increases to 2d6 blah blah cantrip scaling.
>>
Is there any class that multiclasses well with a pact of the chain warlock?
>>
>>50919428
Any class.
>>
>>50919187
Speaking of crossbows.. different anon here that would like to play an crossbow wielder in the future how would i go about that? Recommended builds?
>>
>>50914358
>Here's a take on it as Guns as a Cantrip usable by non-casters.
>Ammunition (Range 150-600), Two Handed, Special, Magic Ranged, Loud, Loading (Does not benefit from Loading feats)
>Cantrip
It's not a weapon, take away the properties and range and make that part of the cantrip.
Two types of dice for every attack is tedious, just make it 2d6.
Loud is pure fictional positioning, look at thunder damage spells and include it as a description but don't frame it as a mechanical property/downside/whatever.
As it's a cantrip and you don't specify that an attack is made as part of it, using dex is out of the blue. Either incorporate an attack (invalidating the guns-as-cantrip idea) or make it use spellcasting modifier. If it's not a cantrip but merely models how they work, you could maybe use dex, but then you're making up a whole cantrip variant subsystem to represent guns instead of using the equipment system or something.

>Rare/high end Uncommon magic item.
Wha?
>>
Tomelock 3 / Paladin X?

- Shillelagh so I'm SAD with CHA
- Heavy armor and shield
- Extra attack and Polearm master

Maybe Undying Light Patron for GFB spam before I get extra attack?
>>
>>50916172
>>50914429
Also spell level sorting is affected since it means cantrips show as last, after 9th level spells.
>>
>>50919517
I dont mean literally as a cantrip but a weapon with cantrip-style scaling to make up for no multiattack.
>>
>>50919610
I still don't see why you need weapon properties then.
>>
>>50919635
Because its a weapon?
>>
File: 3737811.jpg (169KB, 800x1208px)
3737811.jpg
169KB, 800x1208px
Is 5e still caster edition, or are martials completely equal or superior to casters?
>>
I NEED IDEAS FOR ENCOUNTERS IN AN OTHERWISE MUNDANE TEMPERATE COASTAL FOREST.

I ALREADY HAVE 2 FLAVORS OF BANDIT.

MILDLY MAGICAL IF POSSIBLE.
>>
>>50919678
MAGICAL BANDITS
>>
>>50919653
Still caster edition. Damage wise martials compete, winning in single target and losing in area damage. Utility wise, there is no comparison. The only class that really competes is rogue.

Objectively speaking a min/maxer will always choose caster or rogue over a martial.
>>
File: IMG_1250.jpg (55KB, 480x700px)
IMG_1250.jpg
55KB, 480x700px
>>50919685
It's genius, someone hire this man!!!
>>
Hey /5eg/, still pretty new to the system, but I've seen a lot of negative response toward Sorcerer. At a glance, comparing Sorcerer to Wizard or Warlock, I don't see any glaring shortcomings. What's the deal?
>>
>>50919650
Then why make it behave like a cantrip? If it's just a magical weapon, "Magic Ranged" is meaningless. The wording on that makes no sense if it's not a cantrip, because it effectively states that "these things are how it's not like other cantrips".
>>
>>50919678
Got an amphibious race in this setting?
>>
>>50919678
Giant telepathic elk and his harem of lady elk
>>
Looking at melee ranger. DEX looks to be the way to go.
>2 rapiers with dual weapon feat, has a fighting style for it, gives AC and works for ranged (including Sharpshooter feat)
vs
>PAM or GWM... and nothing else.

Why would I bother with STR?
>>
File: IMG_1248.jpg (75KB, 540x535px)
IMG_1248.jpg
75KB, 540x535px
>>50919744
>>
>>50919678
Animals (including birds). Sea animals (including birds). Half-land-half-sea animals (including birds). Animal-people (excluding birds don't be disgusting). Tree people. Living plants (from angry pinecones up to walking kelp forests). Any unnatural combination of the above. Any of the above influenced, mindcontrolled, and/or altered by some kind of fey dickheads.

What level is your party? What's your party composition? What kind of attitude do they have to the game? What mood is the setting?
>>
>>50919719
Sorcerer isn't that bad... it's just that Wizard has a better spell list and less restrictive than a Sorcerer.
>>
>>50919744
...the party will have encountered Kuo Toa and their pet monsters by this point in a freshwater environment.

what is the distinction between those and shawagingh?
>>
>>50919741
See >>50919187. First version was poorly worded.
>>
>>50919653

It's not caster edition anymore. Casters are good for utility or AoE, but they're fucked without a few martials or extremely contrived events.

Martials are in general pretty nice, and the thing casters are the best at is saving time.
>>
>>50919678
semi-intelligent fungus that's been eating the trees and is starting to eat the animals too
>>50919719
fewer exclusive spells
>>
>>50919678
two druids trying to save an owlbear from an angry mob of hunters
>>
>>50919653
Martials can compete damage-wise, even surpass in some use cases, but they're still boring to play in combat compared to casters.

Outside of fighting, martials remain as terrible as they've ever been besides 4E, with few to no real options for affecting the world or social situations.
>>
>>50919678
CRASHED
ALIEN
SPACESHIP
>>
>>50919814

>with few to no real options for affecting the world or social situations.

Like the casters.
>>
>>50919828
Even a Wizard who does nothing but memorize elementally-based Evocation spells has most options for "affecting the world" than a martial, don't be retarded.
>>
>>50912676
Moon Druids. Specifically Moon Druids. Of the four separate 5e games I've played, three of them had Moon Druids, with the only exception being the one I'm running. Warlocks, Rogues, and Paladins come in at a close second having been in two of those four.
>>
Thing to remember is, 5e is not a dick-measuring contest like 3.PF's character creation.
>>
>>50919762
More damage.
1d8+5 * 2 = 19 average damage
1d10+5+1d4+5+20 = 37.5 aberage damage
>>
>>50919852

Yeah, no.

Unless "affecting the world" strictly means "destroy parts of it with magic" to you.
>>
>>50919798
Well Kua Toa are perfect, they're known for ambushes and taking slaves.

Not sure about the Shawa though, sorry.
>>
Are any feats necessary for War clerics, or can I just wallow in ASIs?
>>
>>50919808
Depend on your definition of caster. Cleric will be fine without martials. Moon Druid will laugh at martials. Lore Bard will laugh at everyone.
>>
>>50919871
Hey guys, I found the Wizard. Absolutely lacking in creativity and imagination.
>>
>>50919798

Kuo Toa are mad, religious fanatics and slavers, the shawa are violent killers.
>>
>>50919900
Magic initiate for shillelagh. Then you can spend the rest of ASI for Wisdom.
>>
>>50919909

Oh, yes, because only casters can do this.
>>
File: IMG_0559.gif (38KB, 650x459px)
IMG_0559.gif
38KB, 650x459px
>>50919909
Tread lightly anon, you wouldn't want to end up a.. Dammit I can't think of anything not creative or imaginative
>>
>>50919960

a /tg/
>>
>>50919931
>i shoot lightning / summon acid / create a roaring curtain of flame / pelt everyone and everything with giant shards of ice and snow / create a stone span / explode the very air / raise a shifting water barrier
>merely on par with "i swing my sword / shoot an arrow" for affecting the world
>>
>>50919989

I'm glad we agree.
>>
>>50919989
"I swing my sword" can massively change the world depending on who's in front of it.
>>
>>50920011
Or who you're swinging it at

It could be a quest giver
>old gods forbid
>>
>>50920011
>>50920021
I misread your post, fuck me
>>
>"I kill people with magic."

>"Well, I kill people too."

>"I can travel in special ways!"

>"Well, it takes me longer to reach those places. So, thanks for using your ressources to help."

>"b-b-but muh affecting the world more!"
>>
>>50920011
Yeah, then the king's guard descends on you and beats your ass like a red-headed stepchild.

On the other hand, the Wizard zapped that dumb asshole from a hundred feet away and then turned invisible or flew the fuck off.

But both of those are getting right back into combat. We're talking about exploration / social pillars. Casters, even if restricted to just their damaging spells, have a host of options for creatively interacting with the environment that martials can't match. Anything a martial can think to do, a caster can also do, because most DMs aren't just running around and arbitrarily saying, "No, your Strength is less than 16, there is absolutely no chance this will ever work so fuck off, Ted." and even then the cleric and paladin are going to do it
>>
What's funny is how the Utility people say casters are superior in isn't even that big a domain.

They're good for support, for traveling more easily, or in some cases for cheating death.
>>
>>50915909
Underrated post
>>
>>50920061
>Casters, even if restricted to just their damaging spells, have a host of options for creatively interacting with the environment that martials can't match.

Oh?

Please, tell us more about those options.
>>
>>50919914
...what sort of religion?
and how do they keep slaves if they're aquatic?
cause I may have other uses for them. if the religion is right.
would the KT try and harness larger dangerous creatures to kill communities in/on/besides bodies of water.(if yes, what do you think would they try to use?)
>>
You chucklefucks are still thinking in terms of 3e, 5e casters can't do much of that anymore.
>>
>>50920145

Have you read the monster manual?

The Volo's Guide to Monsters, also?
>>
Does rubber exist in d&d? Preferably with proof from the PHB or DMG.

The answer will vastly change if my current plans for a contraption is viable or not, since otherwise I'll be forced to use steel springs.
>>
>>50920169

Pretty much every caster at all of my tables goes full combat spells. Utility? Never heard of it.
>>
>>50920169

Indeed.
>>
>>50920179
>Have you read the monster manual?
all I have at hand is the 3.5 one.

>The Volo's Guide to Monsters, also?
??????
what, where, and when?
>>
>>50920187
>Does X exist in D&D
I'm not sure you realize how stupid a question this is. The only answer you're going to get is "depends on the setting."
>>
>>50920187

>Does rubber exist in d&d?

If you says it does in your setting, then yes.

> since otherwise I'll be forced to use steel springs.

Why not use the thousands of alternate solutions a fantasy world offer?
>>
>>50920206
Go back to the OP, open the first MEGA link to the official trove. Everything you seek will be contained in the Rulebooks folder.
>>
>>50915118
I want to hug a white wyrmling
>>
>>50920230
was already DLing the core books...
>>
>>50920213
Thats why I'm asking if there's any tools or items in the dmg/phb that use rubber so I can have a point of reference for different settings.

>>50920227
It's not my setting. And I want to use only mundane material, no magic.
>>
How does UA Ranger 3/Arcane Archer 5 sound for my first 8 levels. Good?
>>
>>50920227
>thousands of alternate solutions a fantasy world offers
But Anon, I thought magic couldn't do anything normal shit can't.
>>
>>50920257

There is no such item in the phb/dmg, at least in the parts about the medieval fantasy settings.
>>
Can a teleportation circle move? Such as that one on a floating castle
>>
>>50920257
Man, look, there are fucking Antimatter Rifles in the DMG. Just ask your DM if rubber trees exist in the setting.
>>
>>50920139
>Firebolt, Earth Tremor, Thudnerwave, Shatter, Gust of Wind, Melf's Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, MInute Meteors, Wall of Sand / Water / Force / Stone / Fire, Ice Storm, Resilient Sphere, Cone of Cold, Immolation, Bigby's Hand
Can you seriously not even think of one use for these that a martial can't manage with their weapons or some common items in their backpacks? Stop acting like a fucking retard.
>>
>>50920311

There is a difference between magic and casters.
>>
>>50920310
UA ranger wasn't made with multiclass in mind. Dont come here crying if your DM doesn't allow it.
>>
>>50920227
Unlike the rest of these faggots, I understand your question to be, "Is there rubber in the Forgotten Realms, the default setting of D&D 5E?"

Yes, there's rubber.
Aside from all the items with rubber in them and the existence of rubber trees in appropriate locales, you can find references to rubber in 2E's Faiths and Avatars and The Shining South (as spell components).
>>
>>50920335
Eh I kinda figured, luckily my design should work with high tension springs. It's just going to be heavier and need more maintenance since non-modern springs aren't meant to be under constant tension.

>>50920359
Yeah I could always just say "its magic lmao", or say elastic bands are made from the hide of some fantasy critter.
>>
>>50920361

>Firebolt, Scorching Ray, Fireball, MInute Meteors, Immolation

I can burn things

>Earth Tremor, Thudnerwave, Shatter,

I can damage structures

>Melf's Acid Arrow

I can melt things a bit

>Cone of Cold, Ice Storm

I can freeze things

>Wall of Sand / Water / Force / Stone / Fire, Resilient Sphere

I can... create protective barriers?

> Gust of Wind, Bigby's Hand

I can lift/push things
>>
>>50920394

There's rubber items in the Forgotten Realms?
>>
Something like Leomund's hut would be a better example of utility.
>>
For the spell Spike Growth: Do creatures take damage if I Thorn Whip them through the area? What constitutes "every 5 feet it travels?"
>>
What are some good CR 8ish thug monsters that a wizard could employ to duck people up?
>>
>>50920451

Or use a tent, because I don't know many casters who want to waste their spells for that kind of stuff.
>>
>>50920394
Thanks friendo, I'll look into those.
>>
>>50920466

How the wizard's like?
>>
>>50920467
Tents cant stop dragons.
>>
>>50920139
not them but
>Acid Splash
melt through objects too hard for a sword, axe, or club, or attack up to two creatures at once.
>Blade Ward
take half damage from b/p/s weapon damage, rendering all physical-damage attackers vastly less effective
>Chill touch
make a spooky hand appear, attacking an enemy from from longbow-range and preventing them from being able to heal. Also makes undead attackers (eg skeleton archers) less able to do shit.
>Dancing lights
Suddenly being able to see in pitch blackness, spooking out animals or enemies by looking like an angel or ghost or some other glowy dude, mesmerising nitwits with moving glowy stuff all affect the environment
>Fire Bolt
I'll admit this is merely *as* useful as a longbow, trading a bit of range for a bit of damage. Can set stuff on fire though, which is nice for attacking anything made of wood, fabric etc (ships, siege engines, houses)
>Friends
Obviously affects the environment, as does the drawback of them realising it was a magical ruse. Use it on merchants, guards, animals, royalty...
>Light
Similar to dancing lights but affecting an existing object instead of creating floating ones.
>Mage Hand
Do literally anything a (hilariously weak) humanoid could do, but from 30 feet away in any direction
>Mending
perfect repair of anything 1'sq in a minute flat. How fast can *you* weld/sew in the middle of nowhere again?
>Message
send vocal messages through perfect prisons (including to freak the guards out) or dungeon walls/doors, make someone think they're hallucinating or haunted, or just distract them. Oh, and it's two-way too, so that's nice for if you need to talk to your fellow sneakyboy about something without altering guards.

that's half of the wizard cantrips. Different classes have different ways to affect the environment. Martials can talk to people and punch good, which is nice for them. Casters can do that less or as well, but also do other stuff that's totally inaccessible to sword dudes.
>>
>>50920467
It's a pretty great spell though.
>bar creatures out
>spells or magical effects can't pass through it
>things can't see into it
>you can look out of it always
>perfect and comfortable surroundings
>>
>>50920428
You can hold a torch to an object in reach for a long period of time or throw oil and then do that, but the caster has already covered the entire area with a great gout of flame and set everything alight from a hundred feet back.

You can plink away at a wall or gate with your hammer for 30 rounds, but the caster has already blown the whole thing the fuck up or excavated a 30 foot long tunnel in under a minute.

You can cause objects to sizzle a bit with a decent GP investment and maybe erode a chain enough to snap more easily on a subsequent turn, but the caster has melted a hole in the floor already.

You can't freeze things.

You can shove a pavise shield in the ground and hide behind it or flip a table over, but the caster has summoned an enormous arrow barrier, blocked a whole room off from enemy access, or formed a bridge or ramp out of thin air.

You can lift and push objects of middling mass that you can reach, but your dickass DM is going to ask for a Strength check regardless of what you do, and there's a decent chance you're going to fail it. Meanwhile, the caster, despite being literally half as strong, can succeed just by luck of the die, or cast a spell that the DM will interpret to ignore all physics and even common sense because "hey it's magic and he's spending a resource" and send six fuckers flying off a cliff.

You have less creativity than a little baby.
>>
>>50920467
> ritual casting
> implying tent has auto-air condition
> implying tent has auto light
> impkying tent can withstand storm and tornado
> implying tent give auto concealment
> implying tent prevent ambush

Read the freaking spell before you open your mouth next time.
>>
Oh, "can't do much of that anymore" was meant to mean you can't do multiple spells within the same round anymore and you'd also lose concentration if you're concentrating on a spell and you attempt to cast another spell.
>>
>>50920480
She's a power hungry maniac who likes to entrall and entrap fellas lulled into complacency by her rocking bod.
>>
>>50920495
>Casters can do that less or as well, but also do other stuff that's totally inaccessible to sword dudes.
This. We're getting back to the Euler diagrams of months ago.

The set of actions a martial can perform is completely contained within the set of actions a caster can perform.
>>
>>50920521

You're confusing not felating the casters because they can do a few useful things for lack of creativity.

I'm not saying the casters are useless, just that utility doesn't make them gods or let them do that many things.

Also, if you assume your DM is going to be a dick, then I'm sorry.

>>50920552

In that case, I'd suggest using human NPCs, those with PC classes, for exemple.

It'd be interesting to see how the PCs reacts to fellow adventurers who fell for the wizard's bullshit.

It'd be even more interesting if she tried the same thing on them, before they realize she's the bad guy.
>>
>>50920619

That's rather a simplification, isn't it? Casters can't Rage, or Divine Smite, or Action Surge without dipping into martial classes. Yeah, magic's cool and all, but martials have plenty of cool toys too.

Utility is also not that big a deal. It doesn't really matter if you're sleeping in a conjured mansion or a dirty cave, you'll still get the same benefits of a long rest.
>>
>>50919827
inside is a froghemoth
>>50919812
russet mold

my players have been playing expedition to the barrier peaks the entire time and none of them are familiar enough with d&d to know[
>>
How do I teach a newbie DM not to rail road?

This is his first campaign, and I could tell that he put a lot of time and effort into world building. But he really doesn't give players much narrative option / opportunity (and it doesn't help that most of the PC are martials class)

Last time, I have to blow through all my Wild Shape and spell to capture his "mysterious figure", who the DM really want to escape (and still, this is only successful because he didn't knew that conjured animals are fey and not beast). And I have a feeling that he'll probably retcon this guy into a nobody grunts that has no intel in the next session.
>>
Utility is useful. It saves time and provide quick solutions to some problems.

Caster classes have limitations that pay for this access to utility spells
>>
Can you run Rise of Tiamat without doing Hoard of the Dragon Queen first? or does that totally ruin it?

>>50920456
would probably be up to the DM. i've actually used this trick before, and it was VERY effective.
>>
>>50920729

I've been trying to come up with characters lately, and I thought it might be cool to make a Nature Cleric who uses Spike Growth and Thorn Whip to ruin people's days.
>>
>>50920709

Talk with him. Tell him you have no interest in being a character in his novel, and that if it continues then you have no reason to keep playing.
>>
>>50920755
Don't be a dick, he's a newbie DM.

>>50920709
Just tell him not to care so much about an overarching plot. If the characters catch a villain that you wanted to get away, let them catch him.
>>
>>50920683
But martials can't turn into a Half-Silver Dragon Giant Ape and use paralysis breath weapon then proceed to attack at 12d10+12.

>>50920683
Not if you get interrupt during long rest. Which mean you're at the mercy of your DM whim. Tiny hut prevent that from happening entirely, it take away the power to ruin your precious long rest from your DM hand.
>>
INFO NEEDED
I don't want to give you guys a wall of text, so how should I be posting what is essentially a wall of text?
>>
>>50920774
Oh that might be a good idea. It actually seem like he's caring too much about overarching plot, trying to push us to join with a group that was establish to prevent the ancient evil from returning.
>>
>>50920683
>combat tool
>combat tool
>combat tool
Rage does not give you any new capabilities, it merely enhances existing capabilities, and only to an extent that improves you beyond others with similar Strength if you take a specific archetype and a specific option within it. Divine Smite doesn't do anything special outside of a fight, and the number of situations where "doing twice as much something" (as if anyone was keeping track of actions or rounds outside of combat) is useful is still a tiny number compared to all the shit you can get up to with even non-utility spells being used in a non-combat manner.

I mean, try to keep up with the argument so far. We're talking about the other "pillars" of the game: Social and Exploration. Combat considerations don't enter into this, nor does casting utility spells for the sake of improving later combat efficacy.
You can solve more puzzles, circumvent more fights, gain more items, learn more secrets, and just about everything else with a party that includes a caster or two than you could if you were all fucking martials whose only options are "kill, sneak, climb, or get McGyver with a ten foot pole and a bag of ball bearings". Nevermind that the casters can also do all of that shit you're limited to as a martial.
>>
Whats a good enemy to partner with tribes of grung?
>>
>>50920848
Sure. We're bored and story time are fun.
>>
>>50920884
If it were story time, I would have posted it.
It's just homebrew rules for 5e that make it play more like Dark Souls.
>>
>>50920874
I think Polymorph is a good spell to use as an example.

It can be use as combat tools (Mammoth, Giant Ape, T-rex)
It can be use as exploration tools (flying,burrowing,become small)
It could probably be use as social tools too
(disguise, spying)

That just one spell that improve all 3 pillars.
>>
>>50920880
Froghemoth
Ape
Baboon
Giant Frog
Girallon
Velociraptor
>>
>>50920884
Is there a website or something I can post it on then link it on here?
>>
>>50920919
Dark Souls am I right guys?
>>
>>50920837

Yeah, that's fine. I kinda like going nova with a flurry of attacks. I've also been Polymorphed, didn't really care much for it. Everything hit me and, although I had a lot of HP, it all went up in smoke after only a handful of attacks.

Sure, rests get interrupted. Big deal, it happens, you just go back to sleep afterwards. So you start your adventuring day at 7 AM instead of 6 AM.

>>50920874

Nah man, I get that, I really do. I've used caster toys for pretty epic moments. But it's just more toys. Doesn't really matter if it's social or explorative versus combative toys, they're still just toys. Everybody gets to have some epic moments once in a while regardless of what you may think. Hell, from what I've personally seen, it's usually martials getting the epic moments compared to casters.

Seriously though, this whole idea of trying to "win more" at the game with the whole "casters > martials" thing is pretty much against the entire point of the game.
>>
>>50918937

It's the protagonist of Crypt of the Necrodancer.
>>
>>50921000
>>50921000
>>50921000
NEW THREAD
>>50921000
>>50921000
>>50921000
>>
>>50920959
pastebin
>>
>>50920955
Wouldn't the froghemoth just eat the grungs?
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.