[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every tabletop RPG system I have played (which is not many, I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: dice.jpg (350KB, 1600x957px) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
350KB, 1600x957px
Every tabletop RPG system I have played (which is not many, I'll admit) have a very distinct method for handling combat versus other actions which tend to be solved with a single roll.

Are there any good systems that unify combat with the rest of the game? Gracefully? I can understand the purpose of dwelling a lot more on combat, because it is like a gold mine for dramatic moments, tactical choices, and easily gamified, with both sides attempting to achieve conflicting goals in a relatively straightforward manner.

I'm just curious what other options exist. More out of curiosity than feeling like combat getting extra focus is bad.

I suppose what I am looking for are systems that not only unifies combat with other skill checks, but also expands normal skill checks beyond Roll + Bonus v Target.
>>
>>50903913
Blades in the Dark defines all actions under 16 "skills". You describe what you wanna do, and depending on how, a stat is chosen to roll.

The meat of resolution is based on the GM defining position (how dicey the situation is) and effect (how much damage/influence you have)
>>
>>50905900
Seems pretty straightforward. Also it has an interesting premise. I'll check it out. Thanks!
>>
>>50903913
Dogs in the Vineyard uses the same dramatic system if your character is trying to fight the demons trying to tell him to keep drinking, if there is a public execution, or if there is a lengthy firefight inside a mining operation hiding a brothel as a part of their general store.
>>
>>50903913
Fate Core and Fate Accelerated both use the same resolution mechanics for combat as they do for social encounters, negotiations, stealth and so on and so forth.
>>
>>50903913
Every game where combat skills are treated the same as non-combat skills.

Which is a lot of games.
>>
>>50907583
Not necessarily true. Like, GURPS has the same mechanics for most skills, but when you are in combat you are suddenly taking 1 second turns instead of one roll being used for one (undetermined length) action.
>>
>>50906233

Dogs in the Vineyard does have some extremely cool mechanics under the hood, despite on the surface being an extremely light game.

More rules light and narrative games in general go that direction, OP. Things like PbtA systems or FATE have very loose approaches to combat and mostly handle it the same way they do other things.

And then you get weird outliers, like Legends of the Wulin, where talking someone down can be accomplished using the core combat mechanics.
>>
>>50903913
Blades in the Dark, Dogs in the Vineyard, Apocalypse World (and most hacks), Fate, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Maid RPG.
>>
>>50903913
cWOD but that's one of the common complaints about it. The thing is, players want more control over their character surviving violence. That's why combat systems are usually complex. When survival isn't completely necessary, there's no need for much ado about rolling. I've designed several systems and this is always what comes up
>>
>unifies combat with other skill checks
easy, already plenty examples in this thread
> expands normal skill checks beyond Roll + Bonus v Target
Quite hard. Thing is, most actions with uncertain outcome on't exactly need more than a single roll. It would be needless complication.

But there is a system that works kind of like it. HeroQuest 2, unwisely named in the same way as much more popular board game that kind of makes it even more obscure.
It is a narrative system, simmilar to FATE in its philosophy, but differing strongly in execution.
It solves combat exactly the same way as everything else, and while base mechanic is a single roll for everything, called Simple Contest (so combat may be solved by a single roll from every player), DM may "complicate" harder, more "dramatically important" sequences by turning it into Extended Contest, which requires several rolls representing stages of the task and turning tides, at the end glued together with a certain ruleset to calculate the final results.

So basically, a combat might be either a single roll if fighting mooks, or an extended, swingy contest if fighting a boss, but the same applies to any other skill - convincing a guard to let you speak to the king might be a single diplomacy roll, negotiating an important treaty would be Extended Contest.
>>
MaidRPG
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.