[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 460
Thread images: 45

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread: >>50886102

What's your favorite Monk archetype?
>>
>>50895011
With so many different races you should consider adding the labels (MM, UA, Volo's) for where they come from like you did for other things.
>>
>>50895694
My group is testing Kensei now. We reduced the Kensei weapons to one, but added an ability where you could spend 2 ki while flurrying to use your Kensei weapon instead of an unarmed strike.

My weapon is a Longbow. Shit's fun as fuck.
>>
File: sai121.jpg (59KB, 480x771px) Image search: [Google]
sai121.jpg
59KB, 480x771px
>>50895694
Open Hand is pretty alright, I haven't looked over the additional archetypes yet.
>>
File: Dudley_(Street_Fighter).png (189KB, 321x408px) Image search: [Google]
Dudley_(Street_Fighter).png
189KB, 321x408px
>>50895779
I played an Open Hand Monk with the Noble background as pic related. Worked surprisingly well.
>>
Can I get some context for the kobold dragon hunting party meme?
>>
>>50895695
I love the Dragon idea in particular!

I might use that one when they have started to build up a decent amount of knowledge.

A horde of Barbarians I might replace with a jealous Duke who doesn't like the idea of a group having access to so much arcane knowledge outside his control.

Thanks for the suggestions

I think ill use the Lich one as well, but at this stage (level 7-8) I don't think they are quite ready to take one on
>>
File: Bugbear Monk.png (180KB, 334x400px) Image search: [Google]
Bugbear Monk.png
180KB, 334x400px
What do you think of Hobgoblins having their own nation (Not-Japan), with their alignment changed to be "blah blah usually any Lawful alignment", with a caste system where Hobgoblins=HONORABRU SAMURAI and other "noble" classes, Goblins are peasants and merchants (Usually Neutral alignments), and Bugbears are the wild mountain men/mountain bandits you always see in Japanese media and religious monks (Chaotic alignments, Though more like Akuma than a traditional jap monk)

They seem like a shoe-in for the generic Japan expy.
>>
File: IMG_4339.png (82KB, 690x766px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4339.png
82KB, 690x766px
Which feat is better for me?

College of Swords Bard
I got a scimitar and shortsword I use for two-weapon fighting, daggers for throwing, and I have my rapier in case I need it.

16 DEX and 16 CHA (+3)
Chain shirt which brings my AC to 15.

I'll have Defensive flourish to boost my AC occasionally.

I was thinking about taking Defensice Duelist to give me that extra +2 on armor almost every turn for at least one attack.

Any better ways to get higher AC or should I just take War Caster?
>>
>>50895694
Sun Soul

Nothing like fighting the forces of Strahd as a superpowered fitness freak.
>>
>>50895825
>Duke
Also good. That one was mostly for Doc Aquatic-ness.
>Lich
No-one says the lich has to actually be there; most players, on learning that a lich lives there, will get super cautious. It could be his summer home (summer... dungeon?) and he's not there right now, leaving the players to face a skeleton staff (I make no apologies for that pun) of skeletal maids, skeletal butlers, skeletal jesters, led by a trusted level-appropriate lieutenant. That leads in itself to further adventure hooks (diary entry mentioning his ... autumn house, aka another place with another rare book, or a revenge plot from the lich who sends minions at them from afar culminating in their invasion of the lich's stronghold once level-appropriate). They're not even mutually exclusive further plot hooks, though it could be a bit difficult to keep them feeling relevant if you have to string them out over a long time.
>>
>>50895822
It's the work of a lone enthusiast
>>
>What's your favorite Monk archetype?
Let's change the question a bit,
What the most USEFUL monk type?
>>
>>50895905

Is it too much to ask to get a Monk Archetype that simulates being Fucking Akuma?
>>
>>50896008
>Open hand for control
>Death for Temp HP tank
>Sun soul for endless raident damage
>tranquility for healin
>>
>>50896020
it's called Tavern Brawler Barbarian with a Maul fluffed as fists.
>>
>>50895694
So I want to play a tank but I don't want to be stuck making the same move each turn. What's a good choice here?
>>
>>50896020
There's that one anons Monk/Barbarian archetype, its suitably overpowered to be Akuma.
>>
>>50896051
Tavern brawler is just 1d4 tho.

>>50896072
Link?
>>
>>50896084
I don't have it sorry
>>
File: face 1454884264802.gif (18KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
face 1454884264802.gif
18KB, 125x125px
>>50895905
Bretty gud, actually!
You could throw in japanese racial prejudice, not being overtly hostile but generally looking down on/avoiding other races or cultures, (or just make it a donut steel island kingdom) to explain why the orderly and well-established goblin realm isn't overrun with hordes of enrichment?
>>
>>50896084
Here, like he said it's pretty badly balanced. I haven't done anything with it in a while since I think it's inherently flawed.
>>
>>50896098
Oh I thought it was a monk/barb multi class.
>>
>>50896060
Psychedelic drugs to distract you from the crushing boredom that literally all tank gameplay entails.
Whether you're Bear Barb, EK, Battlemaster, Monk, or Paladin, regardless of whether you have Tavern Brawler or Shield Master, you will pretty much always be doing the same thing: standing near enemies and saying "i hit them" or "i grapple them" or "i shield bash them" and waiting for next round.

I guess with Paladin you can occasionally follow up "i hit them" with "i smite them" and look at a pretty number
>>
>>50896105
That's pretty much all it is, Barbarian with Path features replaced by Monk abilities.
>>
>>50896114
Yeah but I can't sell that to my DM.
>>
>>50896095
Yeah I'm thinking Feudal Japan's Isolationist policies (When they're not invading/raiding other nations anyway since they're still goblins), with most of their wars being between their own country set in a "Warring States" expy.

Rather than being openly malicious about raiding/invading other lands they consider it a perfectly normal thing to do since they look down on foreigners, as far as they're concerned they're bringing civilization to those dirty barbarians.
>>
>>50896084
That's why you ask the DM to let you use a Maul instead as fists.

So Maul attacks for "normal" unarmed strikes and 1d4 for unarmed strikes with a grapple.
>>
>>50895990
>Lich summer home
This idea is brilliant! I think ill do it first up actually.

When the Lich finally returns to his home he will find out they stole from him and ill have him start plotting against them.

Which ties into them and the dragon as it might help them against him.

Thanks heaps.
>>
File: my9oIzu.png (324KB, 850x605px) Image search: [Google]
my9oIzu.png
324KB, 850x605px
Hey, https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Bard -anon

You're missing two Bard colleges. Glamour and Whispers.

http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf

Also: Thanks.
>>
>>50896157
Don't forget that if your party is feeling diplomatic they could also seek out the Lich and see about purchasing/trading for the book
>>
Is shadow monk good for anything
>>
>>50896295
Multiclassing with Rogue
>>
>>50895914

magic initiate shield

Because as a bard you cast from Spells known, you can get that +5 to ac more than once per day
>>
Are there any feats or abilities that would allow a Small character to ignore the drawbacks of Heavy? I don't mind if I have to stat pretty hard into it, but making a tiny barbarian is sort of boring if I can't have a giantass axe to go with it.
>>
>>50895694
>Pictured: things a warrior cannot do in 5e
>>
>>50896356
>what is acrobatics
>>
>>50896295
Nothing.They are practically useless,if you do not count rp purposes.
>>
>>50896356
>Pictured: things a warrior cannot do but a monk can in 5e
>>
>>50896448
>monks
>bad at acrobatics in 5e
>>
>>50895694
Definitely Kensei.
Never even played one, I just like it.
>>
>>50896444
>shadow monk
>useless

Choose one
>>
>>50896352
I guess the best you can hope for is finding a consistent source of advantage and break even, also you will NEVER get advantage on attack rolls with this character.

Reckless attack gives you and you enemies advantage. To negate this, you can either try a hit and run style (with rogue 2 for cunning action or eagle totem) or get Patient defense for the bonus Dodge action but you would need ki points.

You can try mounted combat with the feat to get advantage
>>
thoughts? Based off Crossbow Expert.

Throwing Weapon Expert

Thanks to extensive practice with thrown weapons, you gain the following benefits:

• You can draw one thrown weapon or improvised weapon as part of a ranged attack with thrown and improvised weapons with which you are proficient. (Or can you do this anyway because the weapon is being used as ammo?)

• Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown weapon and ranged improvised weapon attack rolls.

• When you use the Attack action and attack with a melee weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a thrown weapon or improvised weapon. You must have at least one free hand to use this feature.

• Some kind of damaging ability or precise aim ability?
>>
>>50896539
And what are they good at again?Going nothing personell is not exclusive to them either.
>>
>>50896806
Arguably the best stealth class in 5e.
>>
>>50896347
Nah, that sucks cock as a spell. It only works when you're hit by a magic missile. So situatuational.
>>
File: 1481684155091.png (652KB, 676x676px) Image search: [Google]
1481684155091.png
652KB, 676x676px
>>50896839
>+5 AC as a reaction for an entire turn sucks
>>
>>50896863
WHEN TRIGGERED BY MAGIC MISSILE

It's usefulness is so occasional
>>
File: 1467993032062.png (116KB, 589x493px) Image search: [Google]
1467993032062.png
116KB, 589x493px
>>50896982
REEEEEEEEEEEEEAD THE PHB
>>
>>50896982
No, you can use it for any attack, Magic Missile is a special case mentioned because it's not an attack, but is still affected by the spell.
>>
>>50896060
Mostly to play with people who don't bog the game down, and have a GM who designs good combat encounters and describes combat encounters well.
>>
>>50896982
>>50897014
Someone post the "read nigga read" with the PHB image

I'm on my phone or else I would
>>
Can you un-invite a vampire?
>>
Quick question, anons; if I wanted to craft PCs for 5e based on the classes from Darkest Dungeons, what're my options in terms of class conversion, without actually homebrewing?
>>
>>50895694
So my party just completed a major arc and defeated a giant demon in a city. However, my PC was killed in the fight (reincarnated by the town cleric but has Rez sickness or something) so I made a new PC.
The DM and I decided to introduce my new PC as standing atop the demon that nearly TPK'd us (party had to leave to Rez my PC) taking credit for the kill while the whole town applauds him. (The DM is going to imply that I'm rewarded better than them but I won't actually be. I'm actually only going to have one shitty magic item)

How would you guys handle this?
>>
>>50896839
Dumbass.
>>
>>50897232

Depends on the setting, depends on the lore of the setting, depends on the mythology/literature/media the lore of the setting is based on.

Historically/mythologically vampires were not the only supernatural threat that required an invitations. You can probably spin out that there was some didactic point to the mythological motif; be careful whom you invite in, because they may not be what they appear to be. The downside of hospitality, as it were.

Mostly, though, your question is stupid without context.
>>
>>50896161
Looks like it's still missing a lot of UA stuff.
>>
>>50897260
By fucking murdering you, probably.

I've actually seen this exact scenario happen a lot, and it never ends up going well.
>>
>>50897260
My character would probably fucking hate your character.

Maybe if you go "no but ur pretty strong too, I think we should join forces and be stronger together" I could swallow it, but being a glory hog...
>>
>>50896084
Tavern brawler and rage damage is about even with monks scaling unarmed attack. You won't be flurrying, sure, but there are other advantages.
>>
>>50895914
Resilient (con) if your constitution modifier would go up. thats bonus health forever and advantage on constitution saving throws (which includes concentration). But I dont know your playstyle
>>
>>50897439
well, its a two player game. I have a shadow monk with me so i wanted to have a little umph for combat as well (which is why i took sword bard).
>>
>>50895797
Makes me want to play a pugilist with the noble background.
>>
>>50897330
>>50897386
I'm going to introduce the party to the town as my henchmen (the character has met the party before but as an npc they rescued) but still just continue showboating to try and piss them off.

We have a pretty strict no PvP agreement in our group unless it's a consensual, non-lethal duel. I've already talked to the dm about when that inevitably happens and am about 75% sure that I'm going to annihilate any of them that challenge me. My old PC did, I counted, 90% of the party's damage so I doubt they could do anything about it.

The group is really shy and they need someone to lead them around by the nose, otherwise they don't get anything done. Every single one of them reviled my last PC but when he died they were tripping over each other to get him to a cleric because they're hopeless without me leading them.
Those are their words. Not mine.
>>
>>50897576
Okay, nevermind. You're just a fucking asshole. Have fun being a cunt to your party, I guess.
>>
>>50897576
>lel it's fine even if my party gets frustrated, they won't be able to attack me!
Uhh
>lol I did 90% of the deeps I'm the MVP of this raid!!!!
Okay jesus christ, you're just a fucking dickwad. Did you know it's a team game and not everyone's role is to deal damage?
>>
File: 1480386383985.png (557KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
1480386383985.png
557KB, 700x483px
>>50897014
>>
File: 658.jpg (18KB, 260x384px) Image search: [Google]
658.jpg
18KB, 260x384px
>>50897576
this has gotta be bait
>>
>>50897639
>>50897623
>>50897600
100% seriously.

When it comes down to it, there's nothing they can do about it and I'm literally giddy with excitement at the butthurt that is going to manifest into its own lovecraftian entity during that session.

>>50897623
>Did you know it's a team game and not everyone's role is to deal damage?

I totally agree with you, except for the fact that I take care of every single one of the out of combat encounters as well. It's bizarre. It could honestly just be a solo game, every time I try to let them resolve an encounter they just sit in awkward silence until I break it and do it for them.

I kinda love my group.
>>
File: thatguy.jpg (32KB, 598x280px) Image search: [Google]
thatguy.jpg
32KB, 598x280px
>>50897717
>100% seriously.
100% seriously you're a cunt?

You're not the kind of person who should be playing P&P.
>>
>>50895694
I've DMed for every type of monk so far. The Open Hand player was the most effective. Its abilities work with each other better than the other archetypes.
>>
>>50895905
They work pretty well as not-Ancient Rome too for many of the same reasons.
>>
>>50897753
hold on wait, I only got like ten episodes into critical role, is that guy an asshole? He was one of the more entertaining dudes
>>
>>50897753
That seems harsh. My dynamic works excellently within the confines of our group. I'm an awesome player and the others are just worse. If anything, they shouldn't be playing.

Stop letting your insecurities dictate your opinions. If your entire group was too scared or incompetent to do anything ever, you'd grab the reigns. That's all I'm doing.
>>
>>50897784
- always trying to hijack other people's spotlight moments
- spending a fuckload of time trying to do his own weird plans that no one else knows about
- cheating on rolls
- cheating on spells slots and sorcery points
- metagaming about enemy abilities and more
- getting pissy when he doesn't get to do three things in one turn/gets CC'd
- trying to glory hog

Yeah, he's probably got a lot in common with cuntanon here.

>>50897819
If I grabbed the reins I wouldn't do it like a cunt.
>>
Anyone have some cool ideas for builds or characters?

99% of what I play is normal Human Fighter stuff, because it's simple and I don't do well with making new characters for new stories.

I'm playing Princes of Apoc, so anything relevant to that would be cool.
>>
File: 1481949445818.png (627KB, 796x599px) Image search: [Google]
1481949445818.png
627KB, 796x599px
Can someone stat a pitcher plant monster in d&d 5e for me? I used to use it in 4e, basically it would sink low into the ground and catch young women hunting in the forest unaware,so that they fell,into the pitcher plants innards and began to be dissolved. It was slow, taking place over 6 hours or more, so their deaths took a long time, and they were utterly unable to escape, the slippery walls providing no purchase for their desperate scrabbling. At first they should begin to lose sensation in their feet, looking down to realize much of the flesh on their toes and ankles is gone, replaced by raw blood muscle. This would drive them to struggle more, agitating the liquid and accelerating the dissolution process. It would also multiply their agony tenfold, exhausting them further until they eventually collapse, the acid burning their entire body, feeding on their soft innocent flesh, withering their beautiful rounded cheeks and melting their round shiny eyes. Before long the pain would recede as their nerves died ofd, and sheer fear would replace it, their heart pounding to pump blood to places where all the blood had drained, the women whimpering as they realized the end was near. Soemtimes two would be trapped in the same place and would try to comfort each other as they died slowly. Males would be caught in this trap as well, suffering the same fate, I but not as much fun to watch or describe.
>>
File: merlin.jpg (16KB, 447x249px) Image search: [Google]
merlin.jpg
16KB, 447x249px
>>50897934
Yes. That's bait!
>>
>>50897934
>catch young women
Thats where i stopped reading
I was considering it before that
Why would a carnivorous plant care what gender it caught
>>
>>50897934
Large Magical Beast
>>
>>50897997
Large Magical Realm** you mean
>>
>>50896982
holy christ you are literally retarded
>>
>>50896674
Yes, it doesn't make you into a proper tank, but you suddenly become much tankier than a normal wizard. You don't need to be as tanky as, say, an Eldritch Knight when you're a full caster.

No, you don't need to go into melee range however. I mean, what's the point? You might use it instead of cantrips if it's not too dangerous, I suppose.

>>50894788
Honestly, I don't know. The low level ability doesn't seem too worth it, butthe later abilities sound sort of okay due to action economy.
>>
>>50897997
"Plant" is a monster type. I'd give it a speed of 0, false appearance, and something like the Giant Toad's swallow ability. Maybe some sort of vines it can attack and grapple with, although that does increase the magical realminess even more.
>>
>>50898251
The roper would be a good starting point too. It's very slow but it's built to be very hard to get away from.
>>
>>50898284
Ah yes, use the tendrils from the roper.
>>
Is there any reason not to use a heavy crossbow if you're a class without multiattack (but with Martial Weapons by default)?
>>
>>50898369
dat reloading
>>
>>50898402
Without extra attack that makes no difference anyways.
>>
>>50898402
Thought so too, but just checked and it turns out loading doesn't spend an action:
>Loading. Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make.

So pretty good for a cleric of war?
>>
>>50898369
Longbows have more range, and it's more likely you'll find magic longbows and arrows than magic crossbows and bolts.
>>
>>50898432
>>50898428
ah, damn. then yeah if youre going for ranged i dont really see a downside besides having to worry about ammunition.
>>
>>50895797
how do you cope with not having str?
>>
>>50898369
Longbows got better range, small creatures can't use heavy crossbow, but that's it.
>>
>>50896098
That's like monk^5 billion, this comes from D&Dwiki right? Holy shit, so broken
>>
>>50896295
There pretty good at infiltration, they cover the stealth roguish caracter archetype. If you want that they excel at it
>>
>>50898548
It comes from me, and yeah it's broken enough that I just scrapped it since there's not really any way to make it balanced short of making it it's own standalone class.

Figured I'd post it for them in case someone wants to try their hand at unfucking it, but that seems like a futile task to me.
>>
>>50896448
>monk
>Jumping farther than 20 ft in 5e
>Flying
>Staying on water for more than 6 seconds
>>
>>50898438
>more likely you'll find magic longbows and arrows than magic crossbows and bolts.
Are random charts weighted more toward longbows than crossbows?

I give players whatever their preferred weapon type. It doesn't make a big enough difference for balance to worry about the what-ifs.
>>
>>50898617
same, me and my dm just swith out arrows for bolts, though RAW the tables definitely favor bows and arrows for some reason.
>>
File: Capture.png (87KB, 1071x485px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
87KB, 1071x485px
Would you consider this a "fair" statblock for a UA Ranger Dire Wolf pet, or should I use a normal Wolf but with it's size changed to Large?
>>
>>50898753
I forgot to update Bite to be 2d6+2 but you get the idea I hope.
>>
>>50895822
It's just an idea for a party I had since Volo's was released. Going around on nighttime adventures, using cleverness and pack tactics to fuck big enemies up, getting back at those fucking dragon shitlords who have oppressed your people since time immemorial, things like that. But my group doesn't seem very open to play monstrous adventures, so I just vent here.

>>50895991
This, to be honest, famiglia.
>>
>>50895503
use bookmage famalam
>>
>>50897867
Dragon hunting kobold party
>>
>>50897260
How about arriving late to the fight for the giant demon, tripping and having the whole town laugh at them (you).
>>
>>50898452
>ranged
>downside ammunition
Well that's to be expected friendo, unless you get a dwarven thrower at lvl 1
>>
>>50896352
Use a lance and go full eagle totem aggressively using the dash bonus action to reposition.
>>
>>50897302
I think the context is pretty evident, correct me if I'm wrong
>invite vampire
>he starts to fuck your shit up
>try to uninvite him
>>
>>50896295
Mobility, stealth, scouting, battlefield control.

Like, are we seriously pretending PWT, Silence, and Darkness aren't useful? And Shadowstep is just fucking ridiculous on any character with Darkvision provided the rest of your party isn't covered in lanterns.

Last session I was able to stop an entire band of chasing orcs from catching up to the party in some narrow caves by running over, spamming knockdowns on all of them, and teleporting away to stay safe from reprisals, just over and over. Completely fucking cheesed them.
>>
>>50898452
This makes me wonder-

How common is it for you guys/your DMs to not bother with ammunition?

I consider it kinda part of the encumberance and lifestyle mechanic where it's based on reasonability and a simple payment whenever you're in a civilized area to account for it. Obvious exceptions being stuff like magic ammo.

But do yours actually have you keep track of ammunition?
>>
>>50898865
Made me blush :3
But for future reference, it's kobold dragon-hunting party.
Cheers.
>>
>>50897867
Kobold Jungle Cavalry. Revised ranger, ride a Panther for 40 ft. climb speed. Since you're a fucking kobold and also a ranger and Panthers have a +6 to stealth, you won't have much trouble getting the drop on enemies above.

a Ghost monk and a willing host. The three physical stats belong to the host, the three mental stats belong to the ghost. Use the MM stats for the ghost's physical stats and a NPC (Commoner, Noble, whatever) for the mental stats of the host. Split HP evenly between them. Depending on the starting level, you might need to refluff ghost to be level-appropriate as well. Play them as a symbiotic duo.

Play as an awakened Ranger's beast companion with the associated levels in Druid. When you wildshape, you wildshape into a human. You'll probably need to work with another player to work this kind of thing out, though to keep this out of the Magical Realm.
>>
>>50897244
Paladin > crusader, leper
Barbarian > hellion
Bard > jester, antiquarian
Rogue > highway man, graverobber
Ranger > arbalest, houndmaster
Fighter > man at arms, bounty hunter
Cleric > vestal, plague doctor
Warlock > occultist
Druid > abomination
>>
>>50898753
If you compare it to a normal wolf

Normal wolf
Medium
d8 hit die
STR 12
DEX 15
CON 12
INT 3
WIS 12
CHA 6
attack is 2d4+dex

PC Dire Wolf pet
Large
d10 hit die
STR 14
DEX 14
CON 13
INT 3
WIS 12
CHA 6
attack is 2d6+STR/DEX

So a normal wolf would need you to reach level 12 to have the stats of a Dire Wolf, while the PC Dire Wolf one only needs to be level 8, with one odd number ASI you could put in INT to bump it up. This in addition to a better damage and hit die means it's significantly better.

If it was a normal size dog it'd not be too big a deal but when it's also Large it just seems like a bit much.
>>
>>50897867
Play a Rogue or a Barbarian, or maybe even an EK Fighter. Slowly open your horizons.

>>50897997
I got the joke
>>
>>50899002
Sadly they can't see shit in their own darkness
>>
File: 1366749897427.jpg (61KB, 900x454px) Image search: [Google]
1366749897427.jpg
61KB, 900x454px
my tabaxi player wants to go with the arcane archer archetype from the fighter UA in my game,problem is he wants to use his musket and flintlock pistol instead of a bow, im in favor of overlooking minor rules for the sake of player enjoyment but im not sure how creating magic arrow and the bonus attacks fighters get would work considering guns have the loading property.

can i just recycle the crossbow expert feat for firearms and let him take it? and can someone breakdown how a turn in combat would work for him using the musket and the arcane archer features at 3rd lvl?
>>
>>50899085
A single level dip in Shadow Sorc can fix that, in addition to being a significant boost in tankiness.
>>
>>50899103
Nooope, read shadow sorcerer, one level isn't enough
>>
File: Capture.png (24KB, 818x180px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
24KB, 818x180px
>>50899114
I suppose it depends if you consider "with this ability" to mean ONLY with that ability, but I could see that being the case.

You'd still get that nasty ignore death ability though. So it'd be a question of Warlock 2 or Sorcerer 2 for super darkvision.
>>
>>50899085
Darkness is good for other things than making a field to fight in. Interrupting enemy LoS or creating natural darkness by obscuring other lightsources works even better in some cases.
>>
File: tmp_7923-1482838791519206689997.png (3MB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7923-1482838791519206689997.png
3MB, 1400x1400px
Reposting

Decided to try my hand at mapmaking, would appreciate some constructive feedback.

This was my testing map. The layout really isn't the focus, I just felt like making a maze so I would prefer feedback on the visual aspect (water, dirt path, hedges, etc.)

Thanks
>>
>>50899094
For fighters dealing with the Loading property I've often allowed for the Crossbow Expert feat to be kinda 'built into' a weapon as an expensive custom job.

But before they take the feat/upgrade the firearm, if they have stats to catch up on or whatever, I've often ruled as being able to 'reload' via an Attack so at an early level like 3rd it doesn't matter but thereafter they can use it without the feat by missing out on only one attack.
>>
File: 1466647780884.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1466647780884.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>50896982
just wanted to stop in and say holy shit you are retarded
>>50897155
got you fampai
>>
Can someone find me a decent picture of a Drow Mage that's standing upright and not stepping on a fucking stone?

Thinking of doing the Black Spider a paper miniature to make it stand out as the campaign villain but can't find something decent enough.
>>
>>50899258
I hate to break it to you, but Drow live in the Underdark and that place is 100% stone.
>>
File: d.png (512KB, 569x920px) Image search: [Google]
d.png
512KB, 569x920px
>>50899270
Well this drow isn't down there anymore.

This is what I have after using a magic select tool or whatever it's called and deleting the background.
>>
>>50898617
I don't really like the 'You get the exact weapon you want!' style of magic items.

Rather, magic items should be as they are. Magic item isn't the exact type of weapon you want? too bad. Perhaps you'll keep the magic weapon in reserve and use its power (which hopefully shouldn't have been just a +1 weapon or something boringly stupid like that) only when needed. Perhaps you could see if it could be reforged. Perhaps you could see if there's an alternative way to fight with it that still lets you, say, use it with finesse at a penalty.

Tailoring everything to suit the characters feels not only as if it's fucking with the narrative, but also that it's helping players go down the 'magic items are just specific permanent DM-determined buffs to your character.'
>>
>>50899310
That's clearly a Drow Fighter PAM with a pole-arach (glaive).
>>
>>50899333
>have a GWM and rogue in the party
>a magic weapon drops, hell yeah!
>it's a club
How about no
>>
File: b.png (324KB, 545x800px) Image search: [Google]
b.png
324KB, 545x800px
>>50899310
Would also appreciate a better Wraith pic.

I also realised that the Wraith they have in the LMoP is lower CR than the one in the MM.
>>
>>50899333
Yeah, man. How the heck did Bilbo manage to randomly find a magic sword just suitable for a hobbit, instead of a giant magical two handed axe? I really stopped believing in the narrative after that.
>>
>>50899333
Considering how reliant martials on specific weapon types, it's pretty shitty to essentially give them what amounts to vendor fodder.
>>
File: 1482116710896.jpg (15KB, 752x421px) Image search: [Google]
1482116710896.jpg
15KB, 752x421px
>>50899310
>that high quality cutting around the shoulder
>>
>>50899007
I make my players keep track of ammunition, but the characters are in towns so frequently that the only excuse for running out is failure to prepare. It's a minor tax on the safety of being ranged.
>>
>>50899333
>he doesn't enjoy designing items for his players that all have some disadvantage but they like too much to stop using them
>>
>>50899386
>PotA is passing out sharktooth swords like candy whenever we crush Water Cult faggots
>our Paladin dies and is replaced by a PAM Barbarian
>snap a sharktooth sword off its hilt, strap it to a stick
>sharktooth glaive

>there's some magical greataxe later on in the module
>every melee character is a shield-user except for PAM Barb
>nope, it's a magical halberd now
>>
>>50899425
wand selection acts odd on circular shaped areas

t. photoshop nigger
>>
>>50899437
Then just give your players the weapon they want but it also raises their voice three octaves and causes painful urination as long as they're attuned.
>>
>>50899355
Our PM Barb used a +1 shortsword as torch because it had the light emitting property
>>
>>50899375
Damn you, I hit refresh and you've already made exactly the same point with the same example as I was writing.

Minor point, there were clearly other weapons in that cave. DnD adventurers wouldn't take just what they needed, they'd take everything, whereas story adventurers take what they need and ignore the rest.

If PCs didn't loot everything, you could include other weapons as background details. This does not happen, so we get this situation where either everything is useful or sometimes the PCs get useless gear in the name of realism.
>>
>>50899446
i just thought it was cute
>>
>>50899333
>Tailoring everything to suit the characters feels not only as if it's fucking with the narrative, but also that it's helping players go down the 'magic items are just specific permanent DM-determined buffs to your character.'

This is the mindset of a DM who puts his all-important campaign setting before his players. I have never had a player complain in the way you just did.
>>
>>50899468
>Gee, DM, everything in this campaign is great, but the table feels you aren't giving out enough random loot that's useless to everyone in the party. Could you maybe try replacing our gold drops with +1 weapons no one can equip for a while?
>>
>>50899425
I don't even have photoshop. Just used whatever editing tools mac provides.
>>
>>50899499
Wow.
And here I hacked Windows 7 just to get the old XP version of Paint to run again
I bet you don't even know what IrfanView is
>>
Btw I agree that not every item will be of use to an adventuring party. Sometimes they'll find exact things they needed and sometimes it will just be something they'll sell. There's a balance to it.

It makes no sense for every drop/loot to be personalised for this specific group.

Finding the balance is important.
>>
>>50899532
It's called Heroic Convenience.
D&D is an 80s action movie or pulp sci-fantasy novel, not some gritty shades of grey post-modern wankfest.
>>
>>50899513
I don't. I go to a stationary store or whatever and just say "hey I need this image to be 1 inch wide and after you scale it can you mirror the image next to it so I can fold the paper?" and that's it.

Had my maps printed out that way too. "Hey man these boxes are supposed to be 1inch can you do it?" Bam.
>>
>>50899555
It's whatever you make of it.

I'm DMing and randoming most of the loot from the book. No problems so far. If the ransomed item is stupid I give something they'll like. If I see that a PC is lacking behind and getting almost killed all the time I'll drop a convenient Ring of Protection or whatever.

Like I said, there's a balance to it.
>>
>>50899597
>he doesn't even give out inspiration for one-liners
>>
File: 1480358628983.jpg (83KB, 396x556px) Image search: [Google]
1480358628983.jpg
83KB, 396x556px
>party CE Sorcerer tries to betray the party while talking to BBEG
>Attacks CN GOOlock/Sorcerer/Fighter who was on the fence about teaming up with the bad dudes or not
>tfw completely no-sell their attack and kill (unconscious) them in a single round with Action Surge Quickened Hex EB, nearly crushing them through a solid stone wall with Repelling Blast

holy shit I didn't really realize exactly how much damage that is since I hadn't had any reason to go full nova yet.

the CE Sorcerer is now my henchman and a multiclassed CN Warlock after I showed him the error of his ways and let him talk to my "boss". He doesn't have enough personality left to be Evil.
>>
>>50899703
>A charmed creature can't attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful abilities or magical effects.
>The charmer has advantage on any ability checks ot interact socially with the creature.
Create Thrall is not Create Mindfucked Slave
>>
>>50899703
>shit that didn't happen
>>
>>50899375
As said by other anon, they only took what they wanted.
Magic swords are obviously going to be very common, and like fuck are elves going to make a two-handed axe. They're more likely to make halfling-suited finessse style weapons.

>>50899386
Alright, let's say someone takes PAM. This limits them quite a bit.
Say they find a magical axe.
Why can't they turn it into a halberd?
Say they fine a magical ... Pointy thing.
Why can't they turn it into a pike?

Sure, there may be some delicate natures involved, but it's completely possible.

Let's say he finds a magical greataxe, but they're using GWM with a maul because the maul does +0.5. Well, why not just use the greataxe instead?

Let's say we have a rapier+shield user and they find a shortsword. Well, it's only -1 damage, so why not?
Let's say they're rapier+shield and they find a longsword. Well, either give it to somebody else, use it with strength if your strength isn't that bad or heck ask if your DM will allow you to try a fancier, dex-based style. Your DM might give you a penalty, but perhaps it will be worth using it for the longsword. Okay, so the penalty isn't worth it? Then only draw the longsword when the time is right. Say, it's a longsword that is specialized to defeating ghosts. Wait until ghosts show up to use it.

I wouldn't even call it vendor fodder. You could easily trade it for another magical weapon.

>>50899355
>magical club
Clubs are supposed to be shit. A magical club is supposed to be shit.
>>
>>50899188
Is the bottom right water? I can't really tell. The rest looks pretty good though.
>>
>>50899752
Nah not that level, still have a ways to go before I get Create Thrall sine I'm multiclassed to fuck. I pretty much told them "hey read this spooky book that's emitting psychic whispers" that makes a direct link to the Patron.

OOC I asked them if they wanted to keep playing their character or not. (He said he was looking to get them killed to make a new guy, but said playing a henchman of a squid god could be fun for a bit. He plans to get himself killed heroically at the earliest convenient chance, keeping his current character until he has a new non CE one ready.)
>>
>>50899703
Munchkin faggot
>hurr it totally makes sense that my guy takes one year of fighter training in the middle of learning magic (just enough to get that surge)
>>
>>50896794
Just have it apply to thrown weapons if all your gana do is copy the feat.
>>
>>50899813
He was an investigator for a city who found said book when they busted a cult, so yes they were a fighter first for the majority of their life.

The Sorcerer part is 100% cheese though
>>
>>50899468
Nobody will complain because it's only a minor violation and a loss of potential thought.

It's 'Oh, gee, I found a magical item that I can use. I roll even higher numbers now.'
Rather than
'Oh, gee, I found a magical item, but it's not exactly entirely optimal for us. Maybe we'll have to think of a clever way to use it.'

Say, the players might encounter an anti-magic barrier that temporarily jams when a magical piercing weapon is shoved into a part of it. However, that magical item is then destroyed, and it comes online again later. That'll really make them regret just selling off all the weapons.
The only issue here is if there aren't strict encumberance rules and players hoard literally everything.

>>50899493
>+1 weapons
Are for DMs who hate fun and think this is pathfinder/4e where you're expected to get a +1 weapon, then a +2 weapon, then a +3 weapon.
>>
>>50899874
>Say, the players might encounter an anti-magic barrier that temporarily jams when a magical piercing weapon is shoved into a part of it. However, that magical item is then destroyed, and it comes online again later. That'll really make them regret just selling off all the weapons.
i'm trying to understand your magical realm, but i can't quite get the innuendo here
>>
>>50899874
So you gave them something useless and then later invented a use for it so they'd be punished if they sold the useless item.
>>
>>50899925
Not necessarily. They might gain more out of selling the item, but it's not 'inventing a use for it'. There are many dangerous monsters that might gladly not attack you if you offer them a magical item.

Of course, the old school days where any option aside from 'charge at monster and stab it until it dies' were a thing seems to be dying, despite the valiant effort 5e made to restore it.

If you give players a magical sword that ISN'T a fucking +1 weapon but has a rather unique ability (Say, it can detect the presence of orcs nearby by glowing when drawn) then does that make it useless, just because the wielder can't stab things as effectively with it?

Players are really high up in the mindset of 'I just got a magical weapon, it'd better do more damage than my previous weapon or I'm going to scrap it for money when we already have more than enough for now.'
>>
>>50896347
Except, that's not how that interaction would work. You can't use spell slots to cast spells from a class you don't have levels in unless specifically stated. That feat was addressed in the sage advice
>>50896839
This guy may be dumb for not knowing the spell, but he's not the only one that needs to read the PHB...
>>
>>50899925
The job of a GM is punishing players no matter what they do
>>
>>50899430
Bad DMs should not try to "fix" a game they are bad at. Range has plenty of problems already, leave it alone and learn to make better encounters.
>>
>>50899977
>There are many dangerous monsters that might gladly not attack you if you offer them a magical item.

That seems a lot more reasonable than inventing a magic trap that requires a weapon type no one in the party uses.
>>
>>50899977
>a weapon that five guys in the party can't use
>but this monster can
>also, he's not going to use it on this party
>but he will use it on the next
>>
>>50899977
>tfw every GM ever I encountered doesn't give you xps if you don't beat the monster
>>
>>50900033
The deal is, it might require a weapon type somebody in the party uses, and they may actually want to do that. Because magical items aren't exactly forever unless you look at them as permanent character upgrades, which is usually what they end up being.

The magical trap may have other solutions, may make the party decide to go somewhere else or they could discard magical items and go through and try to be quick before anything tries to steal their magical items. Perhaps set up an alarm or something, or try to create a wall that will prevent someone from walking over and stealing the magic items.

I don't know about you and you might think of that as a pointless thing that keeps you from your next fight or arbitrarily demands you hoard items, but I'd say it promotes more thought from the party.

>>50900061
Now I think about it, isn't this even more reason for the 'gold is XP' reward system? Of course, avoiding problems like 'I become a baker and level up through baking'.

>>50900056
I'm not too sure what that's going for.
If it's an item that detects orcs and probably has an adverse reaction to orcs, some monsters might keep it to warn themselves of orcs (because fuck orcs) or an orc might decide 'fuck this thing, we're going to bury it where nobody will find it because it's not worth burning our hands trying to smash it when we can just kick dirt over it'.

The DM should make sure magical items make sense to be found where they are.
>>
>>50900103
>>50900033
Oh, I had a thought. There was that chest spell that people were saying was shit.

You put your items in the chest, go through, take it out of the chest again.

The idea of this particular barrier is it has a strongly adverse reaction to magical items, which could potentially damage valuable magical items or even hurt the players, but it can only do so much anti-magic-fuckery before it runs out of power for a while.
>>
How viable is it for a 6th level fighter to multiclass into warlock?
>>
>>50900157
Depends on your CHA.
>>
My party killed a gang leader who was a wizard with a staff that let him cast some wizard spells without spending slots.

I didn't change the guy to be another class so they could use his shit. I didn't change anything.

The party killed him and took his staff. The druid is using it for the +1 AC but she can't use the spells on it.

Not every item is going to be %100 used. Not every item is going to be %100 random. Repeating for 3rd time: There's a balance to it.
>>
Are there any feats that would help a character whose primary form of attack is a Tentacle Rod?
>>
>>50900103
When I want to promote thought from the party, buying off enemies is one my last thoughts because wealth has no inherent power in 5e. Its power comes from what the DM allows. Trading a magic item is essentially buying it off.

I'd rather create a personality for the monster they're trying to engage and see what happens. It's a fun source of recurring NPCs.
>>
>>50900157
>>50900161
Also depends on what level your campaign is going to end at.
>>
>>50900188
If you have a dungeon doorman that demands a valuable item each time the party goes in, that's a very good way of preventing players from spamming long rests while also having the option of moving out to have a long rest. A xorn might be able to help the players work out where the loot they want in a dungeon is, but might demand a ruby or something in return. They wouldn't accept anything a xorn would eat.

Or, simply, the players might be attacked by a bunch of monsters when they're at their most vulnerable, and could very well die if they don't get to rest. This is where the players could start bargaining while also stating that if they and the monsters got into a fight, it might only result in people on both sides dying, and they might likely win anyway. Many wandering monsters there might say 'well, they're right, I'd rather have this sweet bit of loot for free without any danger' though I suppose a really rabid monster might attack anyway or a dungeon monster might say 'Nope, I'm in a dungeon full of treasure, and you're stealing it god damnit'

There should definitely be more to it than it just being simply buying off a monster. Heck, I've had players start trading with goblins once when they were quite injured and didn't know whether the goblins had orcs with them behind the wall or not, because the players wanted one of the things the goblins stole.
>>
In generic d&d are Hobgoblins always evil? Like, is it a Nature or Nurture thing, or are they objectively evil because of a God or something?

Could a Hobgoblin raised by humans be a "good" person, or would their blood/soul/etc. cause them to gravitate to evil?

For simplicity assume Greyhawk/Ebberon/other "normal" settings.
>>
>>50900161
I can get it to 14 with my next ability score increase, hence level 6. It wasn't exactly my focus starting out, although it wasn't my dump stat either.

But now I'm thinking making a deal with a devil might be fun and I could augment my fighting abilities with some cantrips and invocations and hex people. Although I might actually wait one more level because level 7 seems like a big one for battle master.

>>50900203
No end is planned. Might go all the way to 20.
>>
Why can't you dual wield hand crossbows? Two-Weapon Fighting requires "light & melee" weapon.
>>
>>50900279
Eberron pretty much flips everything

Noble orcs, savage halflings, etc
>>
>>50900301
I didn't know that, I haven't actually ever played a game in Ebberon, maybe I'll look into it.
>>
If I want to do battlefield control, which build of wizard shall be the best?
>>
>>50900294
How do you put a new bolt in?
>>
>>50900289
>No end is planned. Might go all the way to 20.
If you think you'll go far, you want to get fighter to 11. But usually when no end is planned, the game could end on a whim and you're stuck with a subpar multiclass because multiclasses are usually only good at specific levels.
>>
Anyone have the Dungeonology link? I cant seem to find on the trove.
>>
How frequently does your group use mundane items like signal whistles or chalk?
>>
>>50900294
you can, but it doesn't make sense to reload them after you fire without putting one down.
>>
>>50900294
You can dual wield them. You just don't have a free hand to reload them. There's no mechanical benefit compared to just getting Crossbow Expert
>>
>>50900294
Also, the ammunition trait requires a free hand, though you could juggle crossbows.

The deal is if you want to use two-weapon-fighting for an extra attack on hand crossbows you need a feat (Crossbow mastery). Otherwise, to be honest, I think fighter with sharpshooter would be too strong because the +10 damage works really well with hand crossbows.

Shame you can't go hand crossbow + shield though. Perhaps you might get allowed to use a shield with a strap that you can stop using for a while (Take hand off of the main handle) to load the crossbow with and put your hand back on when you're ready to engage in melee combat (shortsword+shield). Honestly, I think that should be allowed, as it encourages more thought than 'I have crossbow mastery, so I just keep firing hand crossbows in melee anyway, lol.'
>>
>>50900336
My current character is a Rogue Thief who's schtick is having a batman belt with a shitload of gear.

Bell+string for a tripwire, crowbar is hella useful, vials of fire/holy water/acid, that kind of things.
>>
>>50900279
Hobgoblins have no innate evil taint like demons or devils, but their culture is strongly LE and their racial god (who, beyond being just "the guy worshipped by hobgoblins" is literally "the guy in charge of all hobgoblins") is the one who mandates that.

A Good Hobgoblin is possible, but they'd be facing oodles of prejudice from everyone else, their own natural tendencies towards evil (after living that way so long, they have their own "instinct", the same way that you could raise a lion cub but not necessarily domesticate it like is possible with a cat), and possibly Maglubiyet reaching down and fucking things about.

They'd probably just get murdered by a random Dwarf who throws axes first and asks "are you an evil hobgoblin or one of those rare, one-in-a-bajillion good ones?" never.
>>
File: 1469108552103.jpg (63KB, 500x656px) Image search: [Google]
1469108552103.jpg
63KB, 500x656px
>>50900332
It's a pop-up book and can't be scanned.
>>
>>50900316
you don't. you fire and drop them because they're tied to your belt. then get your sword or whatever.

more of an opening move while each side runs towards each other.

>>50900337
>>50900338
Thanks.

The rogue we have opens with the big crossbow he has but not proficient with. Auto-Crits on that. Then wields dual handcrossbows for ranged while the Totem Barbarian goes in for rage.

Sneak dmg for dayzzz.

I thought I was missing something.
>>
>>50898617

>The tables in the DMG often don't get any more specific than "+1 weapon," but published adventures and DMs alike will frequently include items in proportion to how common they are in the game world. You'll see lots of magic swords, daggers, and bows, but not so many magic war picks or crossbows.
>>
>>50900409
In other words, the prevalence of weapon types is not hard-coded into the game and the DM can give out whatever the fuck he wants.

If he wants to give out the weapon types his players use, nothing is telling him to do otherwise.
>>
>>50900378
>they'd be facing oodles of prejudice from everyone else
I'm asking because I'm making a speshul snowflake character who wears body obscuring gear since they're a currently undefined race that's got a lot of racial prejudice, and don't want to be your stereotypical "good" Drow Ranger, and Hobgoblin looks like a better fit than Tiefling or Half-Elf(Drow).
>>
>>50900427
Read volo's guide section on goblinoids. Hobgoblins are very predisposed to proper order and a way of doing things that even a LE hobgobbo will still act cordial to the party if they have no direct conflict with each other. However, if the party fails in its obligation to social standards the hobgobbo has the right to teach them respect.
>>
>>50900426
Nothing except the DM's duty to keep the world believable and discourage metagaming. If some player has a chubby for whips or war picks, the game world shouldn't know that. Maybe the player won't complain if suddenly every dragon's hoard suddenly contains a magic whip, and he'll probably even like it on some level, but he'll notice that the world he's in has been cheapened for the sake of munchkinry.
>>
>>50900451
I'll look into that, thanks anon.
>>
>>50900328
>If you think you'll go far, you want to get fighter to 11.
Right, I can see why. But I don't know how far we'll go.

If I had planned this out from the start I might have started with a higher CHA and taken fewer fighter levels before focusing on bladelock. But as it is level 6-7 seems to be the earliest convenience. I just don't know if my 1st level warlock abilities and mediocre charisma will be able to compete with anything at all at that level.
>>
>>50900315
Conjuration has a lot of the classic control spells like Grease and Evard's Hentai Tentacles. The conjuration tradition doesn't emphasize that a ton, so you'd probably be better of going divination for portent.

Illusion has really good stuff too like Phantasmal Force and Hypnotic Pattern, along with some hardcore reality bending stuff at later levels.

Alternatively, you could go necromancy and make a bunch of zombies for grappling.
>>
Newbie here. Anyone got any games coming up that they'd be willing to let a new player join? Game finder thread was lacking, and I'd rather not resort to r/lfg.
>>
>>50900483
Don't force it to work. You'll have another chance to play that kind of character when you're better prepared for it.
>>
>>50900357
Real crossbowmen used massive shields they could just plop down on the ground in front of them.
>>
>>50895930
That's what Lathander would've intended.
>>
>>50900527
>worst sun god
>isn't even the sun
>>
File: cc[2].jpg (48KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
cc[2].jpg
48KB, 704x400px
So I'm a new DM and I think I'm going to run my players through one of the book campaigns. I have: Out of the Abyss, storm kings thunder, Hoard of the dragon queen and lost mines of Phandelven

Anyone have a recommendation on which to run? Any favorites?
>>
>>50900508
>>50900357
Yeah, your DM is much more likely to allow you to use a pavise shield that you can stick into the ground for cover, rather than allowing you to do shit with a hand that's also carrying a shield.
>>
>>50900546
mines of philadelphia is generally considered the best new player/dm adventure.
>>
>>50900463
>metagaming
>munchkinry

Here's your (you). Whips and warpicks aren't powerful items, it's ok to let people have them.
>>
When using Homebrewery.Naturalcrit, how do I made a table that stretches across both text columns?
>>
>>50895694
>>50895694
>>50895694
see
>>50900568
>>
>>50900546
phandelver is dope as a general adventure and a great starting point.
>>
File: 683.png (28KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
683.png
28KB, 624x352px
>>50900561
>the Gang fights a Lich
Should have gotten the Caves of Detroit splatbook.
>>
>>50900463
>he'll notice that the world he's in has been cheapened for the sake of munchkinry.

No, he'll be too busy thinking "Oh shit, we just beat a fucking dragon and now I have a cool new weapon. Awesome!"
>>
>>50900566
From the perspective of game balance, yes, it is. From the perspective of common sense, no, the world shouldn't rearrange itself to better suit the PCs, or at least it shouldn't look like it is. This isn't an MMO.
>>
>>50900615
When someone I DM for actually complains about that, or even picks a non-standard weapon for a signature look, I might actually listen.
>>
>>50900614
not who you replied to but that'll def get boring after a while.

It should be leaning towards what the char prefer but sometimes be random as well.
>>
>>50900548
Horse hockey. Your DM is equally unlikely to allow either.

Just carry multiple loaded x bows for the same benefits.
>>
>>50900615
>The imaginary world of a game of pretend can never change slightly to better entertain the participants
>>
>>50900615
D&D Common sense
Laughingfemales.jpeg
>>
What's the optimal way to build a sorlock? Warlock 1-3 the sorcerer after?

Help me min-max haha
>>
>>50900681
It's an optimal build for a warlock who decides being a warlock sucks. It's a suboptimal build for a sorcerer.
>>
File: 225px-Balestriere1.jpg (22KB, 225x306px) Image search: [Google]
225px-Balestriere1.jpg
22KB, 225x306px
>>50900649
Really? I don't usually let my players get away with shit, but even I can't see a problem with an object stuck into the ground providing at least half cover to an archer of roughly the same size standing directly behind it.
>>
do you consider climbing a wall or etc an Action? or part of movement?

For example, PC wants to climb this stone (not too high but high enough to require a Ath check) and fire a bow from the highground.
>>
>>50900649
>Carrying capacity is at least 120 lbs
>hand crossbow weighs 3 lbs
>can carry at least 40 loaded hand crossbows (minus your clothes and crossbow bolts at 1½ lbs per 20)
>>
>>50900696
I'd assume they are using an action to put the shield in the ground?
>>
>>50900690
>It's a suboptimal build for a sorcerer.
What's a better build for Sorcerer then?
>>
>>50900739
It costs 1 action to don or doff a normal shield so that seems about right.

You could even say it functions as a normal shield when being used as such, but lets you use it as cover if you deploy it.
>>
>>50900746
Straight sorcerer to 17 at least. Gaining access to new spell levels is the strongest feature in the game.
>>
>>50900644
That's why you don't give them a new weapon every time. One time it's a new set of armor, the next it's some potions of haste, then a bag of holding, and so on.

Point is, players aren't going to lose their suspension of disbelief from finding "coincidentally" character appropriate loot occasionally.
>>
>>50900763
How much cover?
1/2, 3/4 or full?
>>
File: adj-shield-on-hand.jpg (54KB, 300x475px) Image search: [Google]
adj-shield-on-hand.jpg
54KB, 300x475px
>>50900696

Oh hey, you get health regen with those too.
>>
>>50900763
>It costs 1 action to don or doff a normal shield so that seems about right.
Can't you stow or unstow (or otherwise interact with) one item, once, without requiring an action?

I'd say it creates half cover in front of you but requires stowing/unstowing whenever you wish to move or reposition it, only one of which is free in one turn.
>>
So not to open a can of worms, but Mike Mearls' rulings are fit to be ignored, correct?
>>
>>50900805
I'd say it depends on the shield. One like that picture would be half I'd say, unless they use a bonus action/'reaction maybe? to hunker down and make it 3/4.

>>50900823
Yes, but that's only to, say, take it off your backpack. If you assume the shields in question are braced shields you'd say the action is affixing your arm and the braces to fit properly, or in this case deploying the "feet" of the shield.
>>
>>50900832
Correct. Crawford has the best rulings as long as you remember he says it's ok for DMs to adjust things as they see fit.
>>
>>50900832
Yeah. Anything he says is more what he would do in a game than 'These are the rules/how the rules are supposed to be'
>>
>>50900793
I'm in a real monty haul campaign where we get nothing but obnoxiously appropriate loot every time. Some of it was clearly invented by the DM to cover what he considered to be a flaw or weakness in one of our characters. It's not fun to me because I can't see this stuff as anything other than messages from the DM. I definitely don't feel like our characters earned it or discovered it.

This is just me, but in my campaigns I like to dispense magic items by having the players pick slips of paper with magic items written on them at random out of a box.
>>
>>50900852
I gotta say I completely forgot about that every combat I've had.

So it takes at least one turn for a shield fighter to be completely combat ready.
>>
>>50900852
Dropping prone isn't an action. I'd let them do that to enjoy the benefit of full cover from a low obstacle like a pavise shield in the ground (or 3/4 cover if they're peeking out to take shots.) For the sake of simplicity, I don't recognize any middle ground between prone and not-prone.
>>
>>50900921
Technically yes, but no one plays it that way. People just assume the fighter carries his shield around.
>>
>>50900546

Out of the abyss takes a lot of work from the dm to make a good campaign. Horde of the dragon queen takes a lot of work from the dm and it's still bad after.
>>
>>50900930
Command "Kneel" makes an enemy count as prone so I'd say crouching behind cover would count.

In fact, that would fit easily as is because going prone gives ranged attacks disadvantage, so you wouldn't even need to adjust the cover value.
>>
>>50900921
You assume fighters walking around a dungeon or other dangerous environment have their shield on their arm. It only weighs 6 lbs.
>>
>>50900947
psst
hey kid
check out this combo
two Command casters
one orders an enemy to "Lendrumbilate"
another party member yells out, "KEK means to throw your sword into the [enemy] behind you because he's just betrayed you"
second Command caster orders an enemy to "Kek"
>>
>>50901027
>one orders an enemy to "Lendrumbilate"
Good luck finding an enemy that understands what that word means.
>>
>>50900537
He was a superpowered fitness freak and he was the best aspect of the sun. He also fights evil and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>50901049
Command only specifies that you and the target must share a language, not that you share a vocabulary.
>>
>>50900489
Thank you for your answer!
I was wondering, I know Wizards have more spells than Sorcerers, both known and per day.
It seems to me that on /tg/, Wizards>Sorcerer because of versatility and the capacity to replace the other PCs in their own specializations.
But an all-battlefield-control sorcerer would do the job and have access to the right spell at the right moment, several times a day.
If you go for a super specialized wizard, wouldn't Sorcerer be more appropriate?
>>
>>50900451
This looks like it'd be a great fit for the character's personality, Hobgoblin Ranger it is. Of course now I need to completely redesign their face.
>>
>>50901049
What kind of gaumless, boeotian jobbernowl doesn't know what lendrumbilate means? What are they doing on the battlefield instead of vindemiating, or some other unasinous task?
>>
>>50895694
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
>>
>DBZ the tabletop game
*rolls dice* TRUCKS IS MY SON??
>>
>>50901049
>>50901027
He's only magically compelled to believe the given definition of the word for one round. He's not compelled to act upon that definition, since his magical compulsion was already used up on the believing.
>>
>>50901125
>Ey boss, dis gits tellin me ta 'eahbom-alate, wots dat mean?
>IT MEANS HIT 'IM 'ARDER YA GIT

yes I realize 40k Orks aren't d&d Orcs but you get the idea.
>>
Peace unto you and your posting.
>>
>>50901154
It's two Commands before the enemy's turn.
The first cast forces him to believe the completely made-up definition of a word, which the party can tailor to be literally anything (that isn't self-harming).
The second cast forces him to do that second word.
Believing in a word doesn't take up an action.
>>
>>50901125
>vindemiating
best way to defeat vampires right here
strahd doesn't stand a fucking chance
>>
>>50901191

So you're using two actions and two spell slots to make some idiot use the attack action on some other idiot? Seems like you're on the losing side of that deal.
>>
>>50901209
i think you're thinking of vindieselating
>>
Trivia quizz : name one item that raise the spell save DC of any spellcasting class.
>>
Does the spell Compulsion provoke AoOs?
It says it uses their movement on your bonus actions and IIRC that's the magical wording.

Also: Just realized that Lucky isn't even a reaction like I'd always thought. What the shit? How is there something that has no action cost at all in the game
>>
>>50901086
That's not RAI
>>
>>50901218
They're just shitty level one spell slots and you're doing it to a giant, who is also throwing his weapon and will start the next round unarmed.

Hell, you could make the definition of "kek" into "throw your weapon into your leader's chest, then run over to that tree, wrap your arms around it, hoist up, place one foot behind the other leg, then sit down", effectively causing the enemy to get grappled by a fucking tree for eternity.
>>
File: grapevining.gif (62KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
grapevining.gif
62KB, 500x497px
>>50901307
All adventuring parties should familiarize themselves with Viet Cong torture techniques, by the way.
>>
Where can I find the Genasi again? It was in Elemental Evil if I correctly, right?
>>
>>50901324

Oh my. That's clever.
>>
>>50901364
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html#Genasi%20(Air)
>>
File: language.png (42KB, 260x208px) Image search: [Google]
language.png
42KB, 260x208px
>>50901286
Vocabulary isn't RAI when this even says dialects, which include vastly different vocabulary and strange pronunciation, still allows for communication?

C'mon, son.
>>
>>50901324
What the shit is this

It doesn't look all that terrible but I gather from context clues that I shouldn't try this at home
>>
>>50901373
>with DM permission you can take Thieves' Cant
Welp that invalidates that argument from a few threads back.
>>
>>50901376
is it ants in the pants?
>>
>>50901372
Didn´t know about that. Thanks anon.
>>
>>50901376

It took me a minute, but like that, you really have no way to unlock your legs. I mean, you could get out of it if you have some massive upper body strength and could hoist yourself back up from the awkward and non-leveraged position, but not everybody has that much upper body strength.
>>
>>50901376
A good way to cripple yourself using only a tree.
>>
So how is Druidic spoken? Cause I know it's also a thing like what hobos do where you leave a certain arrangement of rocks/flowers as a coded message

Is it animal calls?
>>
>>50901373
Communication usually isn't a single word. You have context to work with, and if that fails you have enough common words to explain it. A speaker of dialect might even be familiar with the standard language and use that to communicate with people outside his home town.

RAI is that the target has to understand what you're commanding it to do.
>>
>>50901376
You can get yourself into this position on your own, but you cannot get out of it without assistance. Despite what one might think, you can't actually claw yourself up a tree or lift enough weight off of your legs to free yourself. They did this to soldiers, so it must have worked.

The victim must maintain constant effort to hold themselves up, as putting all the weight on the ankle hurts like the fucking dickens. The leg begins to cramp, the arms give out, and then you fall backwards. And for some reason, while laying flat on your back like this, your chest cavity is stretched in such a way due to the bend of your legs and pelvis that you have trouble breathing, and may pass out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZC1Op7eKqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxYIo19SI_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G20dlvsuIwc
I love how all of these videos say "prank" but they could all literally die if their friends just walked off.

>lmao jerry lets us waterboard him XD nigga wont stop cryin XD XD XD the absolute maniac
>>
>>50895694
SUN SOUL
U
N

S
O
U
L Monk
>>
>>50901250
It's you rolling the dice not the character
>>
>>50899703
>(unconscious) them in a single round with Action Surge Quickened Hex EB
Know how we know this didn't happen?
>>
>>50895914
One level in Dragon Sorcerrer.
>>
>>50901521
>sun soul monks can be grapevined
>shadow monks can't
point: shadow monks
>>
>>50901324
What if hobgoblins discovered this technique
>>
>>50901554
How's that anon?

The DM ruled that Action Surge gives you an extra bonus action (Essentially resetting your turn to 0) however comes back on a long rest instead of short or long if that's what you were going to say.
>>
>>50901636

Not him, but you can only knock people unconscious instead of killing them with melee weapons RAW. I was a little surprised when I read it myself, but whatever.
>>
>>50900508
>>50900548
The problem here is those are in armies where there's a firing line and great distance between them. A cover shield won't work in melee.

Here, the deal is that if you want to change from ranged to melee, you just fucking don't because you'll have ranged bonuses and putting on a shield is a full action.

Yet, there's no real way to take advantage of hand crossbow's one-handedness.
>>
>>50901636
>My DM is an idiot and a prick.
Now that I believe for some reason.

>>50901654
But no I actually meant what he put in the spoiler.
>>
>>50901654
Not for PCs, otherwise you'd fucking die when an enemy reduced you to 0 with a cantrip.

At least that's how I've always seen it played.
>>
>>50901669
Well, you're unconscious and dying, but you could be healed or not roll poorly on death saves and stabilize.
>>
>>50901666
Eh, it ends up being about normal anyway since the rest of the party takes a long rest as soon as they get a tiny scrape.

On one hand it makes being a Warlock a bit pointless but I guess if that's how everyone wants to do it I'm not going to complain.

>>50901681
Yeah that's essentially what happened.
>Gets slammed, making death saving throws
>finish conversation with BBEG, usual ominous bullshit
>Get them stabilized and carry their ass out of the dungeon (After talking to the player OOC to see if I'd even bother stabilizing, I'm not going to just kill someone's character without at least talking to them first.)
>>
>>50900364
ten foot pole?
>>
>>50902007
sadly without a bag of holding there's not really a convenient way to carry a 10 foot pole around.
>>
>>50902023
Maybe you could get four 2 1/2 foot poles that you can screw together.
>>
File: Capture.png (225KB, 657x399px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
225KB, 657x399px
Does this guy look hobgoblin-y enough, or am I going to have to completely redraw the head? Is there any additional 5e hobgoblin art aside from the MM and Volo's I can use as a reference?

"White" skin is simple paint to pass off as a human/elf when in towns.

I feel like he looks too much like that one anime vampire.
>>
>>50895694
I made a custom weapon set if wanybody wants to see: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BycRANgSx

Also, If anyone knows how to make a table that goes across both text columns (so that page 2 is just one large table instead of two), if you could tell me, that would be very helpful
>>
>>50902123
Or, to be more accurate, I made a custom weapon making framework, and I made a custom weapon set based on that. the link is to both.
>>
>>50901250
Oath of the Crowns also have an actionless "taunt".
>>
>>50901486
I guess you could eventually escape if you were in soft terrain, by digging under the left leg, according to the position they are in those videos, in order to open enough room to move it.
But if it were solid ground, like the pole guy? Tough luck pal.
>>
>>50902088
You feel correct. That is a fanart of Alucard from Hellsing.
And no, it does not look like a hobgoblin.
>>
>>50902088
Compare and contrast. The albino stripe is okay but some facial features gotta be changed.
>>
What build for spamming fear effects? I am fond of this shit. I think of Dread Witch of the old Heroes of Horror.
>>
>>50902200
I suppose I'll have to completely redo the face then, and maybe change the glasses to be something like simple black or mirror lenses.

>>50902224
Yeah I loosely based it off that one, but only edited the existing face. Can hobgoblins even grow beards?

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of 5e Hobgoblin art I can find as references.
>>
>>50902237
Long Death monk gets an at-will fear aura at 6th.

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Monk,3
>>
5e doesn't have creature templates, does it? Maybe something for a future UA?
>>
>>50902389
It has three creature templates so far: half-dragon, dracolich, and shadow dragon.
>>
needlessly messing with race traits for a game, wondering what thoughts would be on this:

dwarf
-remove darkvision (want to do this for every race)
-remove armor training from mountain dwarf
+give mountain dwarf toughness

it makes mountain dwarf fighters more favorable to humans with the feat since they'll have more hp at end game, wondering if it drastically changes balance or isn't enough to make up for missing darkvision.
>>
What is the DC for a passive perception check?
>>
>>50902406
Isn't there also Spore Servant?
>>
>>50902406
You could consider Revenant to be one as well maybe.
>>
>>50902417
Dwarves along with drow are the races that should have darkvision. Even if you remove it from every other race, those two should have it.
>>
>>50902406
Oh right, I overlooked the half-dragon. And I ignored the other two because they only apply to dragons but they do technically count and I guess it shows the idea is viable.

But I'd like some more things with broader application like fiendish or celestial or fey-touched or things like that which could apply to any ordinary creature and make it extraordinary.
>>
>>50902417
>Removing dark vision from dwarves

They're the only race where it makes sense. Also giving toughness to what is already one of the best subraces for barbarian might be going too far.

Maybe remove darkvision from the core dwarf and give mountain dwarves improved darkvision?
>>
>>50902417
It would work, sure, but then there is almost no difference between them and Hill Dwarves, and hill dwarves become the mechanically worse option as the only get +1 to WIS, while Mountain dwarves get +2 to strength (though I suppose you could balance that by reducing the STR given to mountain dwarves to +1). Why change it though? Is there a reason they shouldn't have heavy armor profiency in your mind?
>>
>>50902486
Also Drow and Underground Gnomes.
>>
>>50902269
You gotta give it the stupid nose I think to make it looks more like a hobgoblin
>>
>>50902467
>>50902486

I understand the logic behind that but it seems like even middle-earth dwarves didn't have darkvision--adventures in middle earth gives them what amounts to low-light vision.

I was hoping to make traveling in darkness (when it happens, which is not always) more resource intensive (expending torches or spells), or at least costly to have a character ignore the penalty (drow sunlight sensitivity)
>>
>>50902486
>>50902534
And the new catfolk.
>>
>>50902541
If everyone plays dwarf that becomes a non issue as it should be. But from my experience, people will still be mostly humans, elves and tieflings even if dwarves are the only race with darkvision. It turns into a cool perk rather than something mandatory.
>>
File: Capture.png (62KB, 330x295px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
62KB, 330x295px
>>50902539
Attempt #2, Legacy of Kain edition
>>
>>50902516
Honestly I was just going to remove hill dwarves since my players never play them, and always go for a different race for druid/cleric. I was more concerned with parity against the variant human, since removing darkvision would hurt it
>>
>>50902541
Then give dwarves nerfed darkvision that only goes out to 30 feet, nerf improved darkvision down to regular darkvision on drow and shit, and remove it from basically everyone else.
>>
>>50902592
Why don't you just remove variant human and not give a shit about whether dwarves are using torches to see in the dark, because everyone else should be
>>
Rolled 2 (1d2)

>>50902584
But what if the coin were to land on its edge?
>>
File: HAAMITO_PAPURU.png (580KB, 527x659px) Image search: [Google]
HAAMITO_PAPURU.png
580KB, 527x659px
>mfw playing druid for the first time
>mfw shouting HERMIT PURPLE everytime I use Thorn Whip
>mfw my group still puts up with me
>>
File: 6Y0Tjp5.png (219KB, 499x401px) Image search: [Google]
6Y0Tjp5.png
219KB, 499x401px
>>50902643
Much better than animu edgelord vampire imo.

If I had a voice half that good getting in character would be a lot easier.
>>
>>50899094
>can i just recycle the crossbow expert feat for firearms and let him take it?
Yes

As to what he can do: Magic Arrow, Piercing Shot, Archery, Dex Build let's just say a musket is a Heavy Crossbow. Attack +7 (+2 from prof, +3 from stat, +2 from archery), 1d10 piercing +2d6 force damage to all enemies in a 100 ft line. Then do it again. Rest of combat, Grasping shots that deal 1d10, and cost an action to remove or movement hurts you for 2d6.
>>
>>50902592
Well, if you remove darkvision and dwarven armor training, give dwarven toughness as a general dwarf feat, and give +2 wisdom to hill dwarves, I guess that could work. I ask again though, why remove the heavy armor? Just say "darkvision isn't a thing for PCs" (other than maybe for drow, since they are also hurt by sunlight), and that's it.
>>
File: Firearms.png (530KB, 776x513px) Image search: [Google]
Firearms.png
530KB, 776x513px
>>50899094
>>50902762
>>
>>50902838
>one-handed ranged weapon dealing 1d10 damage
>two-handed ranged weapon dealing 1d12 damage
>All the rest. You know what you've done.
It's no inaccurate, but it is unbalanced.
>>
>>50902890
>>50902838
Well actually the range is inaccurate, but that's the case for all ranged weapons.
>>
>>50902890
Then blame Wizards cause that's straight out of the DMG.
Also, they're damn guns in a fantasy setting, of course they're strong. They cost a fucking arm and a leg. You can get magical items for their cost.
>>
>>50902838
jesus fuck, those don't get dex to damage do they?
>>
>>50902417
I think it'd be better to give dwarves an additional extra feature instead of removing goddamn darkvision.

Hill dwarfs make great clerics.
Mountain dwarfs are good for tanky wizards, and hardly bad for non-bear barbarians, I suppose.

Doing that suggestion obviously kills hill dwarf but honestly it wouldn't be so bad, I suppose. Maybe give hill dwarf a new uniqueness to it.
>>
>>50902932
DMG doesn't say Pg. 268 btw
I assume so since the dex bonus is really to represent you aiming better.
>>
>>50902974
It's more balanced if they don't, will level them out with the other ranged weapons.
>>
>>50903004
A fucking gun isn't meant to be "balanced out" with a bow.
>>
>>50903024
Also with, you know, melee weapons.
>>
>>50901250
Read the last line of Compulsion
>>
>>50902932
They do. Ranged weapon attacks = dex to attack, dex to damage.
>>
>>50903046
What's the point of using anything but a gun, then?
>>
>>50903071
the fact they probably don't exist in the setting you braindead assclown.
>>
>>50903024
The power of a gun comes from its ability to shoot you multiple times.
On a hit-for-hit basis, knives and bows are more lethal.
>>
>>50902929
>You can get magical items for their cost.
They're great for a lower magic setting though, where they might be a more common alternative.
>>
>>50903086
Why can't we have gun rules that don't require campaign conceits?
>>
>>50903112
Because guns don't exist in most fantasy settings, namely because they're objectively better than other weapons.
>>
HEY GUYS.
I JUST finished my WEAPON FRAMEWORK and WEAPONSET all in a PDF format! Check it out: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BycRANgSx
Criticism is MUCH appreciated.

Also I am writing like this in a bid to attract attention, since the last 2 times I posted this, no one responded.
>>
>>50899094
Allow pistols to replace hand crossbows, except as 1d10 whereever applicable. However, they will not benefit from sharpshooter's 'you ignore long distance disadvantage' rule.
Allow muskets to replace heavy crossbows, except 1d12 whereever applicable. Allow sharpshooter to give it a range of 80/240ft from rifling benefits instead of 'no disadvantage at long ranges'.

The rest is balanced out by the fact arcane archer isn't exactly great at all.
>>
>>50903071
The fact that a single gun cost 500 fucking gold in a setting where they are likely common, let alone one where they've yet to be invented. I'd put one as a reward for helping out a struggling inventor/metallurgist with some kind of problem. He gives you a prototype to advertise to all the royalty and guilds about how rad guns are and how they should pay him to build them.
>>
>>50903112
Just refluff bows as guns
>>
>>50903071
They're incredibly expensive and might not exist in the setting at all.
>>
>>50903129
Who cares what they objectively are? Does a glaive actually deal 20% less damage than a greatsword? No, it's game shit.
>>
>>50903133
CHECK THOSE LADS IT'S PRETTY GOOD
the dubs, I mean
there you go, free advertisement
>>
>>50903091
Except that bullets pierce straight through plate.
>>
>>50903172
So do longbows and heavy crossbows, friendo.
>>
>>50903139
This. Just this. So much easier, and you don't have to worry about balance.
>>
>>50903091
Is that why they weren't used until recently when magazines became a thing? Wait, no, the power to kill shit and pierce armor from a long range is much more powerful than a knife's ability to cause more tissue damage.
>>
>>50903172
And bulletproof vests can be stabbed through. If you want things to make sense, you have to go a lot deeper.
>>
>>50903172
No, they don't. Look up bullet proofing.
>>50903136
500 gold is not as big of a deal as you think it is.
>>
>>50902680
>Alucard
>edgelord

I don't know what I expect from DnD players.
>>
>>50903196
They can, sometimes, but not neerly as often.
>>
>>50903172
Armorers would sell "proofed" breastplates with a giant ding in them from where someone shot a musket at them without penetration. They were designed to prove that yes, this armor is going to save your fucking life against a gun; if it can stop a shot close up, some distant whizzer coming at a weird angle is way more likely to deflect off.

Ye olde gonnes weren't exactly modern rifles.
>>
>>50903172
Except for that's not always the case and you're retarded.
>>
>>50903133
You've got some typos man, in like the opening paragraphs. Get that shit together.
>>
>>50903208
>Wearing red and black
>Is a vampire
>Literally *teleports behind u*

That's 3 strikes.
>>
>>50903202
That's because they're made to defend agains bullets specifically.

Anyways, yes, the mechanics aren't realistic, so the best method in my eyes is to go for balance.
>>
D&D and realistic guns don't mix. AC as D&D does it just doesn't work with realistic bullets. Just have the guns do more damage and stop sperging over it.
>>
>>50903238
Here's your (you), kiddo.
>>
>>50903242
And plate wasn't made to stop bullets.
5e's simplicity is for the best.
>>
>>50903133
Why you nerf greatsword you twat?
>>
>>50903233
Thank you, friend. I'll look over it. I was never very good at reviewing text.
>>
>>50903133
I know it's awkward but it'd probably be good to say 'two-handed only gives +1 when combined with ammunition' as honestly the only use of two-handed is in that case is so that you can get the 'light' property which presumably qualifies hand crossbow for the crossbow mastery feat. It'd make slings re-exist and put hand crossbows back at 1d6, otherwise we might not see any crossbow bonus action sharpshooter fighters, unless you don't like them.
>>
What's the issue with the DMG guns? 1d12 + Dex once per round (because loading) isn't all that good.
>>
>>50903256
psshh, nothin personell, anon.
>>
>>50903277
I saved the Heavy Two-Handed weapons to be total fantasy weapons: the Greatxe, Greatspear, and Greatmace. In any case, I didn't "nerf" anything, I built the new weapons from the ground up.
>>
>>50903326
Theyre meant to be like muskets i guess? Honestly i haven't a fucking clue.
>>
>>50903201
Compared to guns, bows were:
>more lethal
>faster to fire
>did not obscure your vision with smoke
>more accurate (especially before the advent of rifling)

So why did they take off while bow use fell by the wayside?
>Training
It took decades to train an accurate longbow marksman, and years for a crossbow. Muskets were point-and-shoot. When you're conscripting dirt farmers and losing them by the thousands, you don't have time to muck around hunting for the best-of-the-best or to cover your territory in archery schools and somehow prevent them from being hired by anyone else.

>Logistics / price
Compared to bows, guns were more expensive, but once you've got a gun you can keep it for a long while. They are also easier to maintain in poor weather. The bigger cost over time is their ammunition, and lead shot and black powder were cheaper, lighter to carry, and easier to mass produce than good bolts and arrows.
>>
>>50903344
Then where's my 2d6 sword, nigga?
>>
>>50903358
He said "total fantasy". Greatswords actually existed.
>>
>>50903303
Yes, that would be awkward... I'll mull over it, though.
>>
>>50896051
>>50896072

Why would I do this instead of having an archetype for it?
>>
>>50903358
see
>>50903370
>>
>>50903370
>>50903394
D&D sized greatswords would require you to either be a fucking giant or hercules to use.
>>
>>50903384
Because there is no archetype for it.
>>
>>50903404
lol because thats wildly innacurate
>>
>>50903411

Obviously, so what is it with there not being any evil monk archetypes aside from maybe death and shadow being seen as evil?
>>
>>50903418
Have you seen some of the shit in artwork? Holy fuck
>>
>>50902418
DC (difficulty class) is set by the DM according to the difficulty of the task. The perception check being active or passive doesn't change the DC.
>>
>>50903326
It's, quite ironically, a good choice for a beastmaster ranger
>>
Actually, I think it'd be good to make this ruling:

'While holding a shield with one hand and an ammunition weapon in the other, you may ignore ammunition's 'require's a hand to load' property. However, for as long as you hold the shield, you have disadvantage to fire at targets within 5ft regardless of if you have a feature that says otherwise. You cannot benefit from half cover whilst doing this.'

Slings then have access to a niche use that isn't related to 'magic stone' and hand crossbow users who have crossbow mastery have the option of forsaking their 'no disadvantage within 5ft' for more AC.

Of course, it's terribly wordy, but it's about as wordy as wizards fucking around with errata.
>>
>>50903404
>D&D sized greatswords
What about my custom weapon set screams "wow, that's exactly like vanilla D&D!" The greatsword mentioned in my weaponset is like a real greatsword: 5-10 lb.
>>
>>50903344
Seems pointless to do that, especially when you're just making PAM even more tempting.
>>
>>50903438
well sure if you're looking at Guts homages
>>
>I WANT GUNS IN MY FANTASY GAME
>WARRGLEBARRGLE BULLETS HURT WAY MORE THAN ARROWS AND SWORDS
You fucking retards. It's okay to have guns in your fantasy wonderland alongside be-loincloth'd Barbarians and knights in shining armor, BUT
THEY HAVE TO BE FUCKING LASER GUNS, IDIOTS
THIS IS THE FIRST RULE OF GUNS IN FANTASY
IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CRASHED ALIEN SPACESHIP OR ~ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY~ THAT REVEALS THE CURRENT CIVILIZATION IS JUST POST-APOCALYPSE EARTH,
YOU
ARE
DOING
IT
FUCKING
WRONG
>>
>>50903133
If you add prices I'll send you a dickpic.
>>
>>50903465
>>50903466
Also the lack of the heavy keyword means you can have small races like gnomes using a full sized two-handed weapons. Do you know how ridiculous that is?
>>
>>50903133
>1d9 damage throwing hammer
>>
>>50903465
>>50903404
Actually, the vanilla greatsword IS 6lb., so despite the artwork, it has no right to be a giant paddle.
>>
File: janoy.jpg (46KB, 640x641px) Image search: [Google]
janoy.jpg
46KB, 640x641px
>>50903497
>mfw
>>
>>50903490
They can hodl normal and versatile weapons in one hand, so why not two-handed weapons?
The heavy property is used to a ridiculous extent, and it's basically synonymous with the Two-handed property in vanilla, the exception being with shortbows and light crossbows.
>>
>>50903572
Well, generally, it's because most two handed weapons are >50% bigger than small races. Dwarves being an exception because they're chunky.
>>
>>50903497
>>50903558
It's a giant iron ball on a stick that you throw It was used before the ball and chain in the olympics. If you can give me a better bludgeoning thrown weapon that could feesibly deal 1d8 damage, I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>>50903614
And a versatile weapon would likely be as large as them, and they can weild it in one hand?
>>
Is there any torrent for the
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
I am new to this and am having trouble with mega
>>
>>50903640
I'm gonna call that the simplicity of the system right there. I mean, you could say that small races can only use light weapons in one hand, and versatile weapons in two hands. Not a weird rule at all, but I feel like that would be too much effort.

Also all the hobbit players would cry.
>>
>Favorite monk archetype

It's hard to explain this to DM's without sounding like a Mary Sue
>>
>>50903614
Dwarves are still medium, and there could conceivably be a 5 ft pureblood dwarf (though they'd be seen as really odd)
>>
>>50903662
just refluff mega as torrent
click in download as zip, it's right there when you open the link. Or select what you want, right click and choose how you want to download it.
>>
>>50900815
I knew I couldn't have been the only one to think of this
>>
File: guts crossbow.jpg (68KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
guts crossbow.jpg
68KB, 500x360px
Is there a wrist mounted crossbow in the game?
>>
>>50903739
You could say that a hand crossbow is wrist-mounted.
>>
>>50903353
I feel like the smoke and long reload times should be reflected in the rules if you really want to do old black powder firearms right. Reloading takes an action. Firing creates one square of smoke in front of you that remains until the start of your next turn unless dispersed by a strong wind.

>Muskets were point-and-shoot.
Every class is proficient with firearms
>>
>>50903739
Handcrossbow is fitting. That's how I play my Vayne, at least.

>>50903747
>wizards with muskets till lv4
oh god, the horror
>>
>>50903747
>>
>>50903704
>A giant among his kind, Rugarth "Longfellow" Krazenrok, measured five feet and two inches tall in the old Imperial standard (158 centi in Ancient Elven reckoning). He was 125 before he married, extremely late for a dwarf, as his freakishly long arms and legs scared off potential mates. His wife was blind and the stories say that for the first ten years of their relationship, he led her to believe he was merely a short human.
>>
>>50899982
>That feat was addressed in the sage advice

hm. That might change things for the way I use my magic initiate then
>>
File: dungeonworldheights.png (219KB, 1092x707px) Image search: [Google]
dungeonworldheights.png
219KB, 1092x707px
>>50903704
>>
>>50903707
40 keks
>>
>>50903664
The heavy property just doesn't work with a framework like this. Instead of a property that buffs heavy weapons, there should be a property that debuffs small weapons.
>>
>>50903353
>more lethal
Arrows from a shortbow cease to be lethal when up against leather and will have issue penetrating at all against metal armor (especially ring) unless bodkin(?) are used.

Arrows only really killed when they were hit in an unprotected area and bled out.

Also arrows don't give you lead poisoning.

You need a longbow with a high weight pull to start getting bullet-like penetration and that's going to really cutback on your firerate
>>
>>50903947
>lead poisoning
>>
>>50903903
>>50903664
Eitehr that or make two-handers w/o the heavy property-1, and give +1 to ammunition weapons w/o the two-handed property...
I'm thinking about it, but that's adding complication to an otherwise simple system...
>>
>>50902762
im sorry but i still dont have a clear idea of what a turn in combat would consist of at 3rd lvl or at later lvls with the crossbow feat. the way i understand it he cant use create magic arrow at all if he also wants to use his musket or pistol the same turn
>>
>>50903982
>lead bullet enters body and leadshards begin to circulate thru blood
yes lead poisoning
>>
>>50903667

reskined Lizardfolk
>>
>>50904045
Uh, bro, you'll be just fine leaving the bullet in as long as you don't get an infection. People who have the bullet lodged in a place that's too risky to operate on have done that for a long time. They're fine.
>>
>>50903947
>put lead on arrowhead
gg idiot
>>
Would dipping three levels into Swashbuckler Rogue be a good idea for a 3rd level College of Swords Bard?
>>
>>50904106
>not using drow knockout poison
>being this new
>>
>>50904106
>lead arrows
>not iron
gg idiot
>>
>>50904045
Do you know how rare it is for a lead bullet lodged in tissue to actually poison the bloodstream?
You are a bajillion times more likely to die from any old infection than to get lead poisoning from a bullet.
>>
>>50904139
its fine. we've already established that the guy is an idiot. stop making fun of him.
>>
>>50904071

because the hemorrage would kill them faster than the heavy metal poisoning

they still have to take meds in case the bullet fragmented so that they don't die of it before their body has the chance to cyst over the foreign intruder
>>
>>50904163
you're probably the mouthbreather that thinks lead would work as an arrowhead
>>
>>50904176
lmao, im not, im the drow knockout poison guy. but thanks?
>>
Why is revised ranger beastmaster better then PHB beastmaster?
>>
>>50895694
What classes actually get mileage out of a greatclub? Why does it suck so bad? Would making it Heavy make it better?
>>
>>50904282
Commoner class
>>
>>50904268
>don't have to give up your attack for your beast
>your beast doesn't have less hp than the wizard
>>
>>50904282
because it's just a big piece of wood
>>
>>50904268
Your pet isn't retarded.
It doesn't have a horrible action economy.
Favored terrain is actually usable more than 30% of the time.
>>
>>50904176
>he doesn't realize that was also making fun of him
ho ho ho
>>
so if i had a weapon that did say 1d8, but you had advantage on the damage roll, whats the average damage?
>>
>>50904347
>MERELY PRETENDING
>>
>>50904364
You'd think the "gg idiot" after "just put lead on [iron arrowheads]" would have tipped him off but I guess not.
>>
>>50904384
MERELY PRETENDING
>>
>>50904360
>>
>>50904471
can you show your work? i can't into math very well so i'm curious how you calculate it.
>>
>>50904471
>>50904489
ok i found a good explanation
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/223238/what-is-the-average-of-rolling-two-dice-and-only-taking-the-value-of-the-higher
>>
>>50895694
Sun soul, Open Hand or Kensei
>>
>>50905034
New thread
>>
>>50896826
this they make the ranger and rouge
fight for it.
>>
>>50905041
fuck, made mine 40s earlier

>>50905025
>>50905025
>>50905025
new thread lad
Thread posts: 460
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.