[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm going to be starting a sci fi campaign in a homebrew

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 0eAgfaY.png (3MB, 2048x1556px) Image search: [Google]
0eAgfaY.png
3MB, 2048x1556px
So I'm going to be starting a sci fi campaign in a homebrew system that's heavily inspired by Firefly and Cowboy Bebop, so it's set in space but there's not really aliens and shit like that. I'm going to be using an "adventure of the week" sort of format, where the party are members of a mercenary group and get to go on space adventures and whatnot, each one lasting like 1-5 sessions. The problem is that I'm more used to fantasy games, and don't have much experience with running sci fi. Apart from filing off the serial numbers on episodes of the shows I mentioned, what are some interesting plot hooks I could use for the party's adventures? Anyone run a similar game in the past? Any help you guys can give would be really appreciated.
>>
You can pull off some Space Opera stuff.

Make Nobles a thing, just remind your players how insanely wealthy they are, and have them spar over some corner of the galaxy your PCs fight in.

Then, chuck some ULTRA wealthy guy who bought out all the PCs competitors.

PS, why no aliumz?
>>
>>50893062
That's a good idea, I'll probably do that. Thanks Also I'm going for more of a future civilization feel for the setting, where Earth went to shit and everyone migrated to outer space out of necessity. It's more of a space Western than full blown Star Wars, if that makes sense. I'm planning on hinting that there are actually aliens out there based on some weird shit the party will see in deep space, but nothing will really come of it.
>>
>>50893150
An encounter I just stole from Star Trek might work.

After a mission, the players stumble on an old Cryo-Ship.

That's it.

Just tell the players they found it.

Keep looking at the players expectantly.

Another encounter you can do is the haunted space station of horrors they find in the middle of an asteroid field near the sun.
>>
Hey man, one of my favorite games was like this. My players kind of decided what they would do on their own, and they decided they would be potato smugglers. In firefly food is a luxury, so they decided they would make their living smuggling wholesome potatoes across the galaxy.

Just roll with it. Their main antagonist was a man who made genetically modified potatoes and undercut their prices. The idea that someone would do that to them made them absolutely furious, and they fought him harder than they ever fought an antagonist before.
>>
>>50893023
Why not just use Traveller? Traveller was likely the system that inspired Firefly in the first place.
>>
>>50893886

Dude, he's not asking for a system.

Traveller is pretty cool though
>>
>>50893886
OP here, I just realized I fucked up and wrote system instead of setting. I'm going to be using either Traveller or SWN for this one. I'm more after advice on the game's content rather than the system.
>>
>>50893023
Just look up stories about sailors/pirates and shit and replace "ocean" with "space". There are so many out there from when people were first writing fucking stories down that you'll never run out.

>Ports = planets
>Pirates = pirates/aliens
>travel trouble from ocean/wind currents=spacetime fuckery
>sea monsters/angry whales=SPACE WHALES
>>
File: Bodacious Space Pirates.jpg (107KB, 317x500px) Image search: [Google]
Bodacious Space Pirates.jpg
107KB, 317x500px
>>50893023
Participating in insurance fraud.
>>
File: 1406598287456.jpg (336KB, 1200x590px) Image search: [Google]
1406598287456.jpg
336KB, 1200x590px
Page 9 bump
>>
>>50893023

Have you considered anachronisms? Noblemen wearing swords, mechanical horses hauling primitive wagons, ornate tapestries decorating a castle's wall, and scheming merchanet's guilds are all interesting things you could add to the setting for flavor.
>>
>>50895916
That is a damn fine ship.

>>50893023
Keep in mind that you can also have interesting adventures on the surface of a planet, not just in space. I'd suggest stealing plots from star wars or star trek, just switch up any aliens for different cultures etc and you should be fine.
>>
>>50893023

Have a subplot about a recently discovered moon or planet that scientists are saying 'maybe it has microbial life on it? Wouldn't that be something' before suddenly it all gets very hushed up very quickly.

A few sessions later, ships start disappearing.

Life beyond earth has finally been discovered. It turns out its just microbes. Alien germs, nothing more complex than that. But it turns out that the human immune system is TOTALLY unprepared for them, this is a bioweapon with a 100% lethality rate after exposure.

Someone has figured that out, and is testing it on captured ships. But if this somehow makes it to a planet, the results would be unfathomably bad.

There are any number of missions you can get involved in with that sort of pandemic. Avoiding capture and testing, running or intercepting packages carrying it that are being used to wipe out someone on a shit list, getting scientists a live sample/the ONE GUY who survived exposure so they can work on a cure, etc.
>>
File: 1402610321179.jpg (134KB, 772x566px) Image search: [Google]
1402610321179.jpg
134KB, 772x566px
Bumping again before I go to bed.

>>50896699
I really like this one, definitely going to use something like that. Thanks.
>>
>>50897619
If you're looking for examples of something like that then I'd suggest taking a look at the Expanse Novels by James S. A. Corey. They're very much in that line of "lovable rogues on a spaceship" stories.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.