[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i've spent a very long time fleshing out my setting,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: lYKzhE5.jpg (209KB, 1600x1172px) Image search: [Google]
lYKzhE5.jpg
209KB, 1600x1172px
So i've spent a very long time fleshing out my setting, but how will i know it's fun to play? I have much more experience writing fiction and not nearly enough making worlds/stories that are fun to interact with. What are some things I should watch out for?
>>
>>50889002
Shai Hulud.
>>
>>50889015
May his passage cleanse the world.
>>
>>50889479
He who controls the Spice, controls the Universe. The Spice must flow.
>>
>>50889002
This is why /tg/ can be shit, like yes its shai hulud but the guy is asking a general question about writing a TTRPG. Have a shit thread about That GM at over 200 posts then this.

Im in the same boat dude, I really enjoy writing stories and creating a world. A few things to watch out for in my experience is creating such a dense world that it takes a while to get any where and players (because they dont know your world as indepth as you) will ignore or drag the game out in explanations. So try and keep the initial campaign simple. Even if its level 1-5. Its a perfect way to determine what your PC's do, instead of forcing them into an intricate journey that they WILL lose track of.

TL;DR just be flexible with your world, you're passionate about it, PC's arent.
>>
>>50889808
This man speaks the truth shower him in spice
Also the main thing you have to watch out for is railroading and planning.
Always allow some leeway in where and what the characters do instead subtly nudge them to interesting places.

Also never plan in detail unless you know your players inside out. Always keep planning to a guideline and bullshit I mean ad lib the rest in yourself. This leaves room for editing in case for example your PC's miss something you worked hard on you can just fluff some details and bring it up again later in a different context. E.G., you make a dungeon the PC's don't go to, save it to use later with a few details changed so it's a new dungeon with the old ones layout.
>>
>>50889808
>>50890024
I think one of my biggest problems is coming up with a good intro. How should I go about introducing them to everything?
>>
>>50890643
so, make an intro sheet, one page limit thats kind of like the opening crawl to star wars. Broadly describe the world and the current events. It can also depend on whether or not the adventurers will be at the centre of the worlds story or just a small part of it. Cus its fine to start them with a real basic encounter that hooks into a slightly larger one. Cus then you can introduce them to a small town. Which in turn will have NPC's that use the colloquialisms of the world, what god they might worship, or what recent war or event sticks in their minds and set a slight tone.

Its all about introducing shit gradient by gradient. Dont overwhelm PC's, nudge them to be curious and as >>50890024 says avoid railroading.

My intro's usually have the start of a small adventure, that may have them bump into a big evil that the PCs know they cant beat and will want to challenge him later. That usually makes them seek aid from the nearby town and seek information, maybe theyll then have quests that will give further info. Feel free to add a ruin and its lore/history. Or a character like a historian/wizard/guide who gives info. Biggest thing I learned is when and when not to give out info. Its hard to gauge but dont hide too much info from characters.
>>
>>50889002
Start small. No one really cares about the inner-workings of the large nations of your world or the culture that they inhabit. Think small and work yourself upwards as your party gains levels and defeats evil. Then again, this all depends on what system/setting and tone your campaign has. A D&D campaign will have a much different feel than a M&M campaign for instance.
>>
>>50889002
>I have much more experience writing fiction and not nearly enough making worlds/stories that are fun to interact with.
The key is to accept that your campaign is not a novel.
>>
>>50890937
Do the interworkings, but keep it in the background to help mske the world feel more real.
>>
Bump because good topic
>>
We can make this thread great again. Build a wall on Arakis.

Id like to see good pointers for writing a campaign. Im writing a campaign now, from scratch using DnD 5e as a basis. Have to say you can get carried away finding places and lore for every race and creature in the world. Making Gods and creation theory. Reading Grain into Gold which details fantasy economy.

But I know PC's dont care.

You guys enjoy being forever DM? Hows your campaign going? Any tips and advice youre happy to share? PC's got you down?
>>
I find it is good to leave space in your world for the players to fill. Create the broad strokes of history and don't sweat the small stuff. same goes for polities. Broad strokes.
>>
>>50889002
Speaking as a long-time DM:

1: realize that the setting matters incredibly little when it comes to whether or not the players enjoy your sessions.

2: figure out what the players actually prioritize and enjoy.

3: figure out how to fit that into your setting.

4: Try to remember that DMing should not be your outlet for your aspirations to be a fiction writer. Role-playing should be about the characters and what they end up doing, if you use the sessions as a vehicle for showcasing your fiction, you are doing yourself and your group a disservice.

In general, a good start is to sit down with your group and discuss what sort of things they are interested in and what kind of characters they'd like to play, or what sort of situations they would enjoy acting out.

It doesn't matter how much effort you put into your Off-brand westeros with 5% more political intrigue and grittiness if your players want to be superheroes with swords, or vice versa.

Making the setting before making the group is just as stupid as making the character before you know what kind of tone and theme the rest of the group wants.

Role-playing is a collaborative effort, and any component that gets created in advance with no input from, or allowances for, the other people will make the experience less than what it can be.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.