[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A friend in my DnD group recently got obsessed with harry potter,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1297535295905.jpg (95KB, 468x349px) Image search: [Google]
1297535295905.jpg
95KB, 468x349px
A friend in my DnD group recently got obsessed with harry potter, and wants us to play a harry potter TTRPG, once we're done with our DnD campaign (which is at least another year … I'm the DM and have a lot planned + we only meet once/twice a month).

Since he didn't find anything premade that fits what he wants (tactical fighting with miniatures, school life/classes, spells like the original, not just a reskin of DnD "why would you need strength??") he's going to create his own TTRPG.
> You don't have a lot of free time to do this, it will take you a while
> Yeah, I don't mind, it'll take us a while before your campaign is done anyways
> You don't have any playtesters, it'll probably be pretty broken
> Yeah, while DMing I'll have to tweak it

Considering he only plays DnD with our group (no other first hand TTRPG experience), and probably doesn't know any other TTRPGs than DnD/PF I smell:
Untested unbalanced spells + boring elements for school life all slapped on a trainwreck of a 5e reskin. (And people said 5e couldn't be worse).

Also I suspect he's going to be very close to the books. He has problems creating new settings, so other suggestions I made him (Shadowrun, Stars without number, … - he also likes scifi) he didn't like, because he has to create his own universe.
This probably means everything in his story will be happening around the cast of the books making us feel unimportant …

Bonus: I'm not even that interested in harry potter

Is there anything premade, that fits what he wants, so he has more time for the story? Or should I just hope he forgets/abandons this thought …

If it actually comes to this, and his system is hopelessly broken I'll probably just nope out.

TL;DR:
Is there a Harry Potter RPG with miniature fighting which isn't a DnD reskin?
>>
>>50882637
>Harry Potter RPG
Magicians.
>with miniature fighting
What the fuck?
>>
File: wgcovj.jpg (270KB, 800x605px) Image search: [Google]
wgcovj.jpg
270KB, 800x605px
>>50882637
>Is there a Harry Potter RPG with miniature fighting which isn't a DnD reskin?

No rules for miniature combat, but you can just use this with miniatures, a grid map, and LoS rules.

As a bonus, you get a lot of free transformation and bad-end magical realm at no extra cost
>>
>>50882829
>>50882932
Knowing him it'll probably not be close enough to Harry Potter …
But it's something to start from anyways.
>>
>>50883143
So you dismiss two systems you probably haven't even heard of out of hand?
>>
>>50883198
To me it looks like he is looking for "J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter TTRPG™©®", which doesn't exist …
Both systems to me look good for basing it on though.
>>
>>50882637
>A friend in my DnD group recently got obsessed with harry potter

He's like, five or six years too late, ain't he?

Also, that magical beasts bullshit could not of picked a worse time to release. Seriosuly, if your sequel/prequel bait is released that much later than your main stuff, it's bound to fail.
>>
>>50883296
And it never will exist, because the Harry Potter universe runs on sheer protagonist-focused narrative convenience and that substance tends to react unfavorably with gameability.
>>
>>50883354
>that magical beasts bullshit
is the reason he's so obsessed …

>>50883427
"Harry Potter", it's in the name …
Thinking about it, my players said they didn't even want to play while harry potter was around …
So it's basically school/slice of life with random combat, and latin (sounding) spells. How interest… zZz
Now >>50882932 fits even more …
>>
File: Harry Potter.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Harry Potter.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50883296
>To me it looks like he is looking for "J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter TTRPG™©®", which doesn't exist

The creator of WGA made these unofficial statblocks for the game.
>>
>>50883504
You should tell him firmly:
"There is no way a Harry Potter TTRPG will be fun, especially if you haphazardly cobble it together without ever having played anything that isn't D&D."
>>
>>50883694
Well I realize now that he's going to play magic school life; name it harry potter or witch girl adventures …

RPing (magic) school doesn't sound very appealing to me. The story can't remedy that …
>We are the only ones who can stop this dark magic stuff!
Yeah bullshit, we 5th grade brats.
>We are conveniently always there when evil shit goes down.
How convenient!

I haven't watched Harry Potter, but isn't above what happens in the books?
>>
>>50883888
While there are a lot of contrived coincidence, much of the plot actually rides on Voldemort being obsessed with Harry Potter for... well, basically killing him.
As for why he is The Boy Who Lived and not one of the undoubtedly many other children their mothers tried to save, I have no idea.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.