[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey fa/tg/uys, I see a lot of threads that make fun of characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: auu5gom.png (413KB, 495x800px) Image search: [Google]
auu5gom.png
413KB, 495x800px
Hey fa/tg/uys, I see a lot of threads that make fun of characters for being too "edgy". Is there a way to make a character with a tragic background without being called edgy?
>>
>>50876594
Only if you kill yourself.
>>
File: Kenshiro-profile.jpg (181KB, 420x470px) Image search: [Google]
Kenshiro-profile.jpg
181KB, 420x470px
>>50876594
Pic-related is the best method.
>>
>>50876594
1. Keep it reasonable. Don't throw in tragedy for the sake of tragedy.
>Orphaned when parents died of disease, foster parent was often neglectful bordering on abusive
Workable.
>Watched parents get tortured and killed by uncle. Kept in dog crate and fed only spiders and gruel, only let out for daily beatings
Pushing it.

2. Show emotions and growth. And I mean a broad range of emotions--not even necessarily positive ones. Things like impotent frustration, desperation, jealousy, envy, exhaustion, regret. If you're just rotating between angry, sad, and snippy, it doesn't make me think you're deep and complex, it makes me think you need a juice box and a nap.

3. Don't equate dark with cool. You can be sullen or calloused. If someone says "My son died," and your character says "good, it'll save him having to grow up in this awful world," it should be as a cry for help, not to be like "oooooooh, so badass!"
>>
>>50876594

Tragic background has basically nothing to do with being perceived as "edgy".

Your pic is pretty "edgy" and I don't even know that guy's background.
>>
>>50876594
Having a tragic backstory doesn't make a character edgy, how a character acts and looks is more of a factor.
>>
>>50876820
>2. Show emotions and growth. And I mean a broad range of emotions--not even necessarily positive ones. Things like impotent frustration, desperation, jealousy, envy, exhaustion, regret. If you're just rotating between angry, sad, and snippy, it doesn't make me think you're deep and complex, it makes me think you need a juice box and a nap.
This cannot be overstated enough. Shitty edgy characters have one-note personalities that never change. Don't ignore the spectrum of emotion.
>>
File: 1481437415795.jpg (124KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
1481437415795.jpg
124KB, 786x1017px
>>50876819
Good example you can have an edgy background and look. But by being good person and not being a total shit despite everything you've been through makes the character seem at least more likable.
>>
>>50878143
Don't let your upbringing turn you into a total shitball. You don't have to be puppies and rainbows and power of friendship and all that, but as long as you don't let your past or your looks bring you down, you'll be fine.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.