[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one get 'good' at an RPG system? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: mega micro car.jpg (101KB, 522x317px) Image search: [Google]
mega micro car.jpg
101KB, 522x317px
How does one get 'good' at an RPG system?

I've never felt that I've ever gotten good at any RPG I've played (Introduced to D&D 4th edition which I still don't really understand, played some pathfinder which I still don't really understand, did a lot of Call of Cthulhu which is the closest system that I really understand, and did two games of D&D 5th edition).

Point is, I never feel as if I gain any real mastery over either the combat portion or the character creation portion of any RPG system. So, How does one get 'good' at an RPG system?
>>
>>50865630

You don't. The systems don't matter, its the people you play with.
>>
>>50865630
System mastery.

When you reach the point where you can play entire sessions barely touching the rulebook because you know the system so well and you don't interrupt game flow by having to reference stuff every few minutes.

When you can imagine a character concept and know exactly how to effectively stat it on the table.
>>
>>50865754

>System mastery.

And why were these systems created in the first place?
>>
>>50865764
Because without one you're telling a cooperative story instead of playing a game.
>>
>>50865783

>Because without one you're telling a cooperative story instead of playing a game.

And stories were created to bring people together.
>>
>>50865808
Yeah, but that's beside the point. If I want to write a story I'll write a story. If I want to play a game I'll find a system and play a game.
>>
>>50865630
It's memory and basic arithmetics (unless you're talking about gurps, then suddenly it's calculus), but the real basic rule is
>understand what the game will be about, combat, espionage, or what
>do not completely suck at that thing
just don't be a waste of space, and the rest of the group should steer you in the right mechanical direction, so you can all then focus on the actual roleplay instead.
>>
Don't play games that require you to master its system to have fun and play good games instead.
>>
>>50865897
That wasn't what op asked for though, he wants to git gud

It's not like system mastery is a bad thing. You play in a system long enough you'll learn how it works.
>>
>>50865645

Systems do matter. The group, the GM and the system are all parts of an RPG experience.

>>50865630

OP? Being good at an RPG system means having fun with it. If you're enjoying yourself, then the system is working properly.

Beyond that, there are elements of skill involved in some RPG systems, with a variable degree of relation to the mechanics.

In 4e, it's tactical combat skill, knowing when to best use your powers and positioning to get an advantage in a fight. But most of the time 4e doesn't require this unless your group is all in on it, I do just fine in 4e picking what power seems coolest or most characterful to use rather than always the most useful thing.

In 3.PF, the 'skill' involved is primarily in character generation, knowing how to navigate the vast and twisted mess of content available to pick the options best suited to your character... But again, this isn't really necessary with the right group. As long as you're sticking to tier 3/4 classes and have a GM who knows what they're doing, you can enjoy the system just fine.

CoC's elements are probably the most abstract from the system itself and more to do with understanding the tropes of cosmic horror, of the ways to investigate and the reasons not to, of how to survive or knowing when it's worth a risk to try and unravel the deeper mysteries.

All of these things are really a matter of interest and experience, but as I said above none of them are necessary. First and foremost, have fun, and don't worry about the rest.
>>
File: Guns_Dont_Cause_Suicide.jpg (32KB, 540x381px) Image search: [Google]
Guns_Dont_Cause_Suicide.jpg
32KB, 540x381px
>>50865630
>OP is the kind of guy who has no idea what to roll and need help every turn during combat
Here you go OP.
>>
File: 3252334.png (579KB, 620x907px) Image search: [Google]
3252334.png
579KB, 620x907px
>>50866306
>>
1) Understand ranges and averages. 1d6 will give you a result between 1 and 6 and averages out to 3.5, 2d4 gives you a result between 2 and 8 and averages out to 4.5. Shit like that.

2) The best defense is to never be hit in the first place, and the best way to avoid being hit is to never let the other guy attack in the first place.
>>
File: too much borked.png (2MB, 1522x1600px) Image search: [Google]
too much borked.png
2MB, 1522x1600px
>>50866090
>Systems do matter. The group, the GM and the system are all parts of an RPG experience.
until the GM applies rule zero, then it's fuck all
>>
>>50866838
That's not the point idiot.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.