[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Hey anon, you like games, why don't you bring one out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: CofkSLUVMAE4rg8.jpg (52KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
CofkSLUVMAE4rg8.jpg
52KB, 1200x675px
>Hey anon, you like games, why don't you bring one out for the family to play on Christmas Eve?

>...... how about this one, it's a party game <Ultimate Werewolf>

>I don't like this game, you have to lie to win. Let's just play poker.
>>
>he only brought one game
>>
File: IMG_2032.jpg (47KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2032.jpg
47KB, 480x360px
>>50862620
>>
>>50862620
In all fairness, Werewolf is good for one session, then it's just tiresome.

I'd personally bust out Superfight(for large groups) or Dungeon Fighter. Maybe Smash Up, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, or Sentinels of the Multiverse, if I think I can get people more into my world.
>>
>>50862986
>>50862620
Werewolf is fucking awesome. One night is garbage for people who need more roles and less fun
>>
>>50862620
>Hey anon, you like games, why don't you bring one out for the family to play on Christmas Eve?
>...... how about this one, it's a party game <Secret Hitler>
>Wow I love this game, anon! Where did you get it?

And for once everything worked out in the end.
>>
>>50862986
One night? What?
>>
File: 1407632206313.png (214KB, 450x433px) Image search: [Google]
1407632206313.png
214KB, 450x433px
>He doesn't bring Diplomacy
>>
>>50862620
>Didn't bring flashpoint or pandemic
It's like you want arguments. Light-ish co-op beat-the-board games with a sub 60 min play time are the only choice for family events.
>>
>>50862620
>Bringing Ultimate Werewolf and not Secret Hitler
>>
>>50866820
Secret Hitler would have been a better choice but I think the mechanics would have been too much for these folks...
>>
>>50862620
I guess this was the point of your post, but
>poker
>not about lying

>werewolf
>having to lie to win if you're villager
>>
>Introduced parents to Seven Wonders last year
>Dad liked it. Mom didn't really get it.
>"What did you bring this year?"
>"Well...I have this game called Five Tribes but it's more complicated and I don't think you'll...
>Mom immediately picks up on the Mancala-style mechanic and we all finish within 10 points of each other.

>Everything went better than expected
>>
>>50867756
Coop then.
>>
>>50867798
Coup. Fucking phone.
>>
How the fuck do you not lie during poker?
>>
>>50862620
I also hate my family and am counting the minutes until I get to go home.
>>
>>50867879
When everyone thinks you are bluffing not bluffing is the best bluff.
>>
>>50862691
Tbh, I have seen shit like this happen.

Some people are unbelievably dull hosts.
>>
>>50867857
Coup is not a game. There's no deduction element and everyone will just say they have a Duke and Contessa all the time. Calling those bluffs is a crapshoot.
>>
>>50862620
>Not bringing an easily accessible, quick to learn game for the sake of getting people into non-kid's board games as a whole

Out of curiosity, what is the best game for this purpose? I'd say Catan, just because it did so much for the hobby at large.

To specify, the purpose here is "be the entry level sophisticated board game"
>>
>>50868386
Catan actually made me dislike board games since it was my introductory non-child boardgame. Now admittedly, my friend who owned it and explained it to us got the rules wrong in a significant way, but having played a lot of it since then with the correct rules, I think I like Catan even less than with the janky rules he used.
>>
>>50868386
Carcassonne is a good one for this. No setup to speak of, simple to learn (play the first couple of games without farming), "feels like" what it looks like, luck is a factor but not so much as to make it like Candyland.
>>
File: nothitler.jpg (21KB, 368x329px) Image search: [Google]
nothitler.jpg
21KB, 368x329px
>>50862986

>saying Werewolf is tiresome after one session
>immediately suggest Superfight

That game basically encourages everyone to become That Guy and almost always boils down to less about whose character would actually win in a fight and who is tired as fuck about debating it.
>>
File: docgerbil.jpg (15KB, 477x353px) Image search: [Google]
docgerbil.jpg
15KB, 477x353px
>>50862620

Assuming this actually happened, was the person in question just a really bad liar or did they actually have some sort of moral issue with "lying" being the basis of being the Werewolf?
>>
>>50868222
Meaning it's super casual and approachable with morons. That's why it's down the list of recommendations I gave.
>>
>>50868386
If they like Risk I recommend Small World.
>>
>>50863611
Ayyyyy, I did this last night. Family enjoyed it greatly.
>>
Played Cards Against Humanity with the GF's family and it went better than expected. Also played a dice based game where everyone brought little gifts and then stole them from each other. Was quite a lot of fun, particularly as we ended up drinking everytime doubles were rolled.
>>
>>50862620
Play Catan. It's the best way to never be asked to provide a family game again.
>>
Best gateway games for family night are as follows:

Secret Hitler
Carcassone
Citadels
Mysterium
CODENAMES, CODENAMES, CODENAMES

For the love of Christ, stay away from Catan (too long) and Cards Against Humanity (fun for precisely 17 minutes, then magically becomes shit).
>>
>>50862620
I played flames of war with my dad today, good times.
>>
Played spyfall for around 3 straight hours. Everyone really got into it.
>>
>>50868222
I play with both my cards face down without looking at them and then just say I have whatever card I feel like.
How are you going to call my bluff if I don't even know I'm bluffing?
>>
>>50868386
I love Ticket to Ride as an accessible game. Maybe it's only because I usually beat my friends at it, but the planning aspect is just so fun.

>>50869477
Small World (in my experience) devolves into people bickering and yelling at each other even faster than Risk does. Not that I don't enjoy it.
>>
>>50872132
>Not using ambassador to stack the deck and know when people are lying.
>>
>>50872191
Ambassador is the most godlike card to have in your opening hand, especially in larger games.
My ideal start would be Ambassador + Ambassador every time. Keeps you off the radar because you have no resources and the knowledge you get is guaranteed to be valuable all game.
>>
>>50872132
I do this, too.

The only time that I've lost while doing it, it was because one of the other players was specifically trying to take me out of the game because he considered my strategy to be bullshit.
>>
Tokaido
>>
File: 35thandPURGE.jpg (164KB, 800x589px) Image search: [Google]
35thandPURGE.jpg
164KB, 800x589px
>>50872132
I'll fucking shoot you.
>>
>>50869174
Sounds like a case of shit players, friend. Every game I've ever played has ended up going on for long amounts of time because it turns from "which is more powerful" to "which is just plain more silly", i.e. Mind Reading Kardashians who can multiply infinitely, but halve their intelligence when splitting vs a fainting goat riding the Popemobile inside a giant mechanical Justin Beiber.

And then someone starts doing the Mike Tyson lisp when playing Ten Mike Tythonth on Pogo Thtickth, and the entire table has to take a breather for the laughter to subside.
>>
>>50862620
>didn't bring Cards Against Humanity
It's like you didn't want to ruin the relationship between your family members so hard they decide to just mail you your gifts from now on.

Which reminds me, is there an official CAH/Pretend You're Xyzzy thing for /tg/? I mean, I know there's a set, but do we have a place to play it?
>>
>>50863920
You can't bring that to family gatherings anon, people will disown eachother.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.