[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much experience do your characters need to reach the next

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: min res default.jpg (258KB, 891x442px) Image search: [Google]
min res default.jpg
258KB, 891x442px
How much experience do your characters need to reach the next level?

Do you set things up so characters reach each level after roughly the same amount of time?

Do you make it so each level is a little harder? How much harder?

Do you let players level up in the middle of a dungeon, or only once they get back to town? Do you require teachers?
>>
File: 3.5 Players.gif (685KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
3.5 Players.gif
685KB, 500x281px
>>50804709
>2016
>Almost 2017
>Still using experience points

Man, fuck experience points, I just give my players level ups when they complete big story moments or plot arcs. It cuts down on book-keeping math and helps quell the part of the murderhobo mentality that says you need to KILL EVERYTHING to level up faster.
>>
>>50804957
But what if I had the crazy idea of NOT GIVING THEM XP for fighting monsters unless the monsters directly threatened them in some way.

No xp for shopkeepers. No xp for hunting down a lone orc if you're 3 points from level 7

bits of XP for monsters the party didn't set out to fight, who wear them down as they pass through the wilderness or dungeon.

Good xp for beating a dungeon, looting the treasure and escaping safely. This should allow them to bypass the monsters.

Larger xp for beating specific legendary monsters or large scale quests, such as the search for a parrot's tear.

But hey, you do you. I just find it easier to give consistant story related levelups if I have some arbitrary way to track x;, instead of having to make a judgement call every time. Plus, this way, I can give a player a few xp for things such as good roleplaying, working well with others, or being the scribe for tonight's game.
>>
>>50804709
That's impossible.
No.
Wherever they are. No.
>>
>>50804709
I don't use XP, at least in DnD. They level up after they've earned it.
>>
Mostly I go by the rule of "no EXP, you level up whenever a story arc has been finished", but in games like Dark Heresy where EXP is very integral to the game's mechanics, I do keep a tally of how much EXP people are sitting at and just wait for a chance when the players will have a lot of time to themselves to train. Warp transit is a pretty convenient way to manage this because generally the players will have access to anything they would need to start studying or training. I try to keep all of my players at roughly the same EXP level, but players who are really actively involved in the game might get more access to poke around for supplies or potential allies to talk to. If it's really exceptional sportsmanship, I might award Fate Points. However, if there's a player who isn't really engaging as much I'll try to find some excuse to have them get the chance to do something or set up a scenario to really let them shine. Also, players who do impressive things get Fate Points, but players who go out of their way to be glory hogs and constantly want to know if something is worth awarding them fate points lose the points they have or might find that there are fewer resources at their disposal.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.