[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup, /tg/? Hope you're having a swell December. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1476710358909.jpg (118KB, 736x1084px) Image search: [Google]
1476710358909.jpg
118KB, 736x1084px
Sup, /tg/? Hope you're having a swell December.

I've got the need of some fellow gamer opinions on RPG systems. In general, do you prefer systems that are hardwired into their settings (good example: D&D)? Or do you enjoy systems that can be adapted to many different settings (good example: Savage Worlds)?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>D&D
>hardwired into their setting
>the setting is a kitchen sink of fantasy that enables a wide variety of games that ranges from medieval fantasy to plane-hopping cosmic adventures to modern fantasy to gothic horror to space adventures, with countless settings and rulesbooks to help

You trollin'?
Whatever, I'm sure someone's going to come here to troll the "D&D can only do one thing even though that's never been the case) even if you're not trying to.
>>
>>50803856
Setting-agnostic systems. Creating the setting is half the fun and more generic systems means you can include mechanics to make the setting feel different.

>>50803966
>D&D
>The setting is a kitchen sink of fantasy that enables a wide variety of games ranging from one flavor of fantasy to another flavor of fantasy to possibly a third flavor of fantasy, with countless attempts at jamming in mechanics that simply don't mesh well with the core system.
>This makes it universal
While I agree that D&D isn't "hard-wired" to a single setting the way, say, the 40K RPGs are, it's extremely disingenuous to claim that any iteration of D&D allows for games beyond barebones "fantasy but with [X]." It's meant for one (admittedly somewhat broad) genre, but when the unique aspects of setting are simply window-dressing (e.g. Hrothgar creeps through the dungeon with broadsword in hand vs. Kas'Mit stalks through the cyberjungle with laser-broadsword in hand), the differences are moot.

>inb4 "but muh houserules."
>>
>>50803966
The point is that those are all still settings provided within the scope of the game itself though. Whether you're in Faerun, Toril, Eberron, in a Spacejammer or dealing with psi-mantids in the Dark Sun setting, it's all D&D and I don't know of many people who'd specifically play in any of those with a different ruleset.
>>
>>50803856
Hardwired if I want to just "pick up and play" or looking for new fluff ideas, or setting-agnostic if I'm designing the campaign or looking for the new crunch ideas.
>>
>>50803856
>>50805018
Actually, let me add on this:
Good hardwired system > good setting-agnostic system > bad setting-agnostic system > bad hardwired system.
>>
>>50803856
Hardwired, focused and adapted to do their genre well.

I don't like universal systems, they don't do anything really well.
>>
>>50805573
I wholeheartedly second this.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.