[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/. So I'm going to be DMing a 5E group of some friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: fa5.jpg (125KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
fa5.jpg
125KB, 1024x577px
Hey /tg/. So I'm going to be DMing a 5E group of some friends from fraternities and sororities when I get back to college in January. Problem is, every last one of the players are completely new and have no clue what the fuck they're doing. One girl thought she'd have to dress up, another had never seen a d20 in his life before. Any advice on DMing a group like this?
>>
Don't Start with a basic adventure possibly something pre-writhen. Don't enforce role play unless they are comfortable with it. Invite a veteran that is cool with surrendering the spotlight so that the new guys get the idea but they have a time to shine themselves. Don't and this is A VERY big don't take them if the encounter goes south fudge it.
>>
Matt Colville has made some useful videos just about that.

Basically, his advice is that before you even consider playing a real campaign you should play a short one night "tutorial" game, with them playing with premade characters.
>>
>>5080037
>don't take them
TPK them is what I meant to say
>>
>>50800206
Run Ryuutama's two sample scenarios for them.
>>
Find an intro to dnd video, or if you're at all decent at it, give an explanation yourself.
Fantasy adventure, magical races, control characters through an epic quest, universal mechanic (d20), etc.

Print out a bunch of premades, each with a one line hook you can give out("This tiefling warlock has bargained a pact with a dark entity, and now wields a fraction of its power","Bob likes to hit things", whatever)

Don't worry about full rule teaching, that will just bog things up to start with. New players don't know the limits to the system, and are often more likely to try shit out. Be ready to adjudicate and encourage improvisation.

Start in media res around a campfire or some shit, just as long as the party starts together. Start with something real basic, even as little as a basic dungeon crawl. Something that can easily be finished in one session. Stay patient with rules shit

I'm basically suggesting a "Session -1" of sorts. A quick one shot with premades to introduce people to the concept, get them playing quickly. Afterwards, gauge interest for continuatioon, send out rules, evaluate.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.