[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: fuck tripfags edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 38

File: Nicole-Cardiff-10.jpg (114KB, 552x350px) Image search: [Google]
Nicole-Cardiff-10.jpg
114KB, 552x350px
>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/5eg/'s fucking awesome tool (made by an anon)
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

Previous thread: >>50783523

What is the most interesting locale your party has visited?
>>
>>50788362
>being this desperate for attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s66g-FFGksI
>>
>constantly says he only makes threads because no one else will
>Has tried twice to make this thread while the older one was not on page 10.

Sage.
>>
How is Path of the Ancients barbarian?
>>
anyone want a vocaroo? name the topic
>>
>>50788697
no, gtfo
>>
>>50788709
you suuuuuuuure?
>>
>>50788697
necromancers
>>
>>50788697
Pick your favorite death metal song and replace the lyrics with a reading of the barbarian's class features
>>
>>50788741
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0KKbUs5V52v
>>
Daily reminder that plate armor is more period-specific than any type of firearm.
You have the right to exclude guns but you don't have a historical excuse.
>>
File: Priests.jpg (756KB, 2432x2090px) Image search: [Google]
Priests.jpg
756KB, 2432x2090px
>Gods of trickery — such as Tymora, Beshaba, the Traveler, Garl Glittergold, and Loki — are mischief-makers and instigators who stand as a constant challenge to the accepted order among both gods and mortals. They’re patrons of thieves, scoundrels, gamblers, rebels, and liberators. Their clerics are a disruptive force in the world, puncturing pride, mocking tyrants, stealing from the rich, freeing captives, and flouting hollow traditions. They prefer subterfuge, pranks, deception, and theft rather than direct confrontation.

I was really surprised to see that the Oath of Trickery is another oathbreaker Paladin. I felt like there was a potential for an unconventional Paladin that just happens to revere a Trickery deity.

Like he's still bound to an oath and his plan isn't to make everyone besides him miserable. They've made a point to specify that Trickery clerics aren't evil themselves. So why not extend the effort to Paladins?

Granted, I don't understand what an Oath of Trickery would do differently than a Cleric of Trickey. Can you?
>>
>>50788849
You actually did it, you absolute madman/10
Made my day, thanks
>>
>>50788849
This is amazing.
>>
>>50788902
>>50788879
>>50788874
>>50788869
>>50788849
>>50788741
>>50788716
>>50788715
>>50788709
>>50788697
>>50788610
>>50788452
>>50788380
REMINDER:
>Hide Goblins threads
>Ignore Goblins posts
>Do not reply to Goblins
FUCK THE TRIP
>>
>>50788849
Okay, get serious now, anon. Recite "Ah! Elbereth Giltoniel" with some Green Day music in the background. Pretend you're Billy Joe.

>>50788919
If I was Goblins I would use the trip.
>>
File: 1474158247444.gif (1MB, 355x225px) Image search: [Google]
1474158247444.gif
1MB, 355x225px
>>50788879
>>50788902
>>
>>50788919
I'd ilter him, but he keeps making the threads so I'm being blackmailed into not doing it
>>
>>50788874
It's not the Oath of Trickery, it's Treachery. Although I guess most of the spells and ability could easily be refluffed as belonging to a paladin of Trickery.
>>
>>50788959
it'd probably need to be tuned down a tad beforehand though
>>
File: Boner.gif (79KB, 640x404px) Image search: [Google]
Boner.gif
79KB, 640x404px
>>50788849
>>
File: Chronomental.png (141KB, 709x580px) Image search: [Google]
Chronomental.png
141KB, 709x580px
Ok, so I'll post this here because I still want some criticism on it. Does it look good? And fun?
>>
8 INT wizards, 10 kobolds vs level 20 fighter, 4e was pretty good, 8 CHA sorcerers, diamond pickaxes, necromancy isn't inherently evil
>>
File: emmental.jpg (41KB, 597x262px) Image search: [Google]
emmental.jpg
41KB, 597x262px
>>50789022
makes me hungry
>>
>>50789032
You forgot beastiality druids.
>>
>>50789032
>necromancy isn't inherently evil
i can't believe they're still going at it.
such stamina takes impressive autisticity.
>>
>>50789032
KOBOLD DRAGON HUNTING PARTY
Bugbearmont
>>
>>50788979
I think my biggest issue is that I don't see why a Trickster God would want heavily armoured crusaders. They're not exactly subtle.
>>
>>50788874
>>50788959
It's Treachery, not Trickery. But there's still no reason it can't be a proper oath.
Tenets of Treachery:
1. Honor No Debts. Put yourself ahead of all others. Don't sacrifice your own well-being just to be a dick, but if nothing is lost, you might as well be a dick.
2. Sow Distrust Among Your Enemies. When your enemies mistrust each other, they cannot cooperate effectively. Also, your god finds it hilarious.
3. Have No Loyalty. Allies are useful but should not find you reliable. If at any point someone places their implicit trust you in, you must betray it. Teach your allies you cannot be relied upon.
4. Oppose High Levels Of Cooperation. Organized society is anathema to your beliefs. You must never hold office, or vote, or receive government welfare. You must voice your opposition to these at any opportunity.

>>50789032
Literally only two of these are memes, you dip. The rest assume your personal opinion.
>>
>>50789064
It looks like a heavily-armored brute but in fact its 200 kobolds armed with sporks
>>
I played a Trickster cleric of Cyric who ordered his bodyguard, a giant half-orc in full black plate to push and old lady into a sewer.

Well, turns out the old lady was an avatar of Tymora, and my bodyguard got turned into a toad sitting on top of a pile of expensive armor.

I got our trick'd
>>
I missed the initial release reviews. Is the paladin UA any good? Conquest seems to be eh and I don't care about Treachery.
>>
>>50789177
Conquest cool and flavor, but not the best.
Treachery too strong and weird flavorwise.

Mostly it was arguments about how good and evil these guys could be/are.
>>
>>50789174
The correct answer there would be more like to spin around so the half-orc lands in the sewer, on a rust monster.
>>
>>50789255
i think the DM was trying to curb my shenanigans
but that would work too
>>
>>50789174
Did you have / are you having fun with your Trickster cleric? I'd like to play one but ugh, the features are sad. The domain spells are OK but I feel like Blessing of the Trickster and Invoke Duplicity should have been swapped, so that the first should be a Channel Divinity and the latter a short rest thing. Or a Wisdom modifier thing.

What are your advices for someone that'd like to play one?
>>
>>50789320
My dude I don't care about features at all. I just play what I like. You have to make it work through RP anyways. You can be a naughty little bastard regardless of class features. As a party of Cyric followers we care more about how big our hats are and how giant our greatswords are more than how effective we are in combat.
>>
>>50789083
There's already some implicit "tenets" in the description I guess.
>A paladin who
embraces the Oath of Treachery
owes allegiance to no one.
>a blackguard’s
overwhelming concern is power
and safety
>especially if both can be obtained at
the expense of others
>>
>>50789177
Trickery feels like they wanted to make a blackguard but didn't have the right spells.
>>
>>50788919
>FUCK THE TRIP
He's a namefag, not a tripfag. There is a difference. Anybody could pretend to be a namefag and make him less of a faggot.

Anyways. When should I as a GM, if ever, play music? I want to play shit during fights but the I remember players take way too fucking long to act so pulsepounding action shit fits horribly when they turn it into a strategy game.
>>
>>50789406
You could try playing ambient music when doing miscellaneous things in towns etc. or when travelling
>>
>>50789438
we only play the ffvii ost at all times my lads
>>
>>50789438
Any good suggestions or OSTs?
>>
>>50789083
I vow to be as treacherous as possible.

Just kidding, it was all a ruse
>>
>>50789468
That's the difference between a filthy casual traitor and a paladin traitor.
>>
>>50789457
There are plenty of vidya OSTs you can use. The Witcher series, Elder Scrolls (and Enderal, which has a bitchin OST), Guild Wars, Pillars of Eternity, etc. You can also find some premade mixes on youtube (just search 'medieval town music' or something similar).
>>
>>50789594
...and FFVII
or else
>>
>>50789457
>>50789594
Also if you're stuck finding fightan music, ask your players to pick an appropriate fightan song for their characters, and give them inspiration if their song plays in combat.
>>
Just learned about the Favored Soul. Is it the best gish? Which Cleric Domain is best with it?
>>
>>50789457
Bloodbourne has good boss music.
>>
someone mentioned the Hadouze in another thread, apes that could glide with the skin flaps between their arms and legs

they are suppose to be from 3.5 but cant find in wich manual, can someone help me here please?
>>
>>50789748
the butthole manual
LMAO
>>
>>50789748
Hadozee are from Stormwrack, according to google
>>
4e
>>
>>50789794
noooooooooooooooooooooo
we must never go back
>>
ask me any question i'll answer true
>>
>>50789834
why haven't you killed yourself yet
>>
They're still going at it in the other thread
>>
>>50789765
hahahahahaa.... sorry but i dont get it, is hadouze a wordplay or something?

>>50789782
thanks i just downloaded the manual
>>
>>50789842
i want to see episode 8 eventually
also i like to drink beer
it invokes a certain pensive mood where i LOVE music and poetry, especially Bukowski
Suicide seems like it requires a destructive mindset, which I don't have, frankly
life is a fucking chose though, so if you kill yourself it's fine to me, but I live to witness poetic expression, I think it validates life
>>
>>50789665
It's not much of a gish, it needs something like the Paladin's Smite, 2 attacks and extra weapons aren't enough. It's a good start tho.
For the domains, I feel it depends on your party composition - if nobody is Blessing, Life gives you Bless and heals, if you have a lot of fighters around War gives you Crusader's Mantle, and Spiritual Weapon to burn your bonus actions... nothing else really jumps out.
>>
>>50789878
>chose
*chore
>>
>>50789059
Finally someone else mentioned it. I'm kinda happy desu.
>>
>>50789878
>reason of life: episode 8
that is a fate worse than death!
>>
>>50789908
maybe
curiosity
>>
>>50789890
Another question about Favored Soul. Once you get Extra Attack with it, can you quicken a lightning bolt and then still get your two attacks?
>>
>>50790008
Yes.
>>
>>50790020
That's awesome. I've never played a magic user before (I usually play rogues) but this makes me want to play a Favored Soul now.
>>
>>50790008
yes
>>
>>50790008
Sure, but check level-by-level if you wouldn't be better off with a cantrip instead.
>>
>>50790038
You can also quicken cast a spell and then twin cast booming blade on two dudes.
>>
>>50789022
Cool and fun but change the name, Chronomental doesn't roll off the tongue well.
>>
Should flavor be at the hands of the DM or the player for a character?

Is there a wrong answer?
>>
>>50790224
The best way to manage it is by putting it in the player's hands but giving DM final say.
>You want your magic missiles to be glowing crossbow bolts that burst into sparks on impact? Sure.
>You want your magic missiles to be flaming skulls with bat wings that scream as they fly? Fuck no. A normal skull is fine though.
>>
>>50790224
When I DM, i always ask the players if they want to flavor it up. Then I take what they say and expand on it.
>>
File: _9E_TemporalTime.jpg (54KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
_9E_TemporalTime.jpg
54KB, 500x345px
>>50789022
Why did you get rid of how it eats Haste/Slow spells for hp and buffs?

I don't like the Blink Through Time-Blink-Displace interaction. I feel like the target of Displace should just be shunted forward, not into a weird demiplane that the Chronomental can get to. Or make it work like the Chronomental can drag things into its Time Stop to have a one-on-one.

On the CR calculation, I'm pretty sure that you are overestimating it, unless you feel like the Displace and Steal Time, which will get used once and probably get saved against, boost up its damage output considerably. Its defense is pretty solid, with its rewind.

I don't think rewind is very fun, though. The player rolls, does some addition on top of it, and if successful is told to do it again? Just more busy work.
>>
r8 my campaign so far? I'm running the players through LMoP with pregens right now, and they're all excited to get finished with the campaign so they can make their "real" characters. At the risk of turning them off, I want to set the next campaign in Phandalin, about a decade later.

Warning, here be spoilers for LMoP

With the discovery of Wave Echo Cave, a few artifacts get excavated and sold, boosting Phandalin's economy and word gets out about the small town. Unfortunately, the knowledge of how to work the Forge of Spells has been lost, so it's not useful just yet.

When word gets out about the Cave being rediscovered, a group of Gnomes come to Phandalin, led by a magical scholar who is excited to conduct research on Wave Echo Cave, and basically a lawyer who wants to draw up a clean and clear document for the New Pact of Phandelver.

Soon after, a clan of Dwarves show up, claiming to be descendants of the Dwarves who were in the region hundreds of years ago, and they should get Wave Echo Cave since it is their birthright.

The three parties can't agree to terms, and talks are stalled.

Meanwhile, the Zhentarim seek to destabilize the area so they can get control of Wave Echo Cave themselves.

I think ideally I'd tell the players "you're all members of the Phandalin Militia" as an easy way to put them together, have a reason to work together, and have a reason to initially do stuff.

Eventually, the problems are resolved one way or another and work begins on Wave Echo Cave, but on digging deeper they found a fallen angel who was bound, buried, and forgotten. Their magical aura is the reason for the magic found in Wave Echo Cave, and has been slowly stolen from the angel. On waking up, the fallen angel seeks revenge and tries to consume the magical artifacts that hold his power, in a race against the players.
>>
My Thoughts: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bo1UU7cQjY
>>
>>50790350
>fallen angel who was bound, buried, and forgotten
Lost me at this part. This comes wayy too far out of left field.

You didn't really explain what actually happens in the campaign though.
>>
>>50790350
>Dwarf Clan
>Gnome Scholar and Lawyer

>The three parties can't agree to terms, and talks are stalled.

Who is the third party? Phandalin, or the Zhentarim?
>>
>>50790096
Wouldn't GFB be better for twinning in many cases? If two enemies are next to each other then you're doubling the spell damage.

I assumed you couldn't twin the Blade cantrips, but reading them over again it seems to work.
>>
>>50790412
Ehh, I wanted it to sort of work in two halves, where the first is more mundane, you're generally just making people happy, followed by something that's "big" and lets the players go from "you're in the militia doing public services" to "heroes".

The first half is maintaining everyone's happiness in the region, exposing the Zhentarim influence, and culminates in a long journey to find the lost Dwarf Clan Hall, as a gesture of goodwill to the dwarves, that reveals something significant about them that I haven't fully thought through.

I felt like I didn't want an easily available huge magic source in the form of Wave Echo Cave so I wanted something to go wrong with it, and I think I like the idea of a open ended "race against the BBEG for the macguffins"

>>50790436
Phandalin. Zhentarim are generally there fucking up relations, inciting race violence, waiting for opportune moments to seize more power.
>>
>>50790460
Can't be twinned because two targets sadly.
>>
>>50790491
>first half
Sounds good, but prepare for your campaign to be derailed (because this is pretty open ended and sandboxy; not a bad thing)

>second half
I meant that I didn't really like the fallen angel as the creature chosen. I feel that an elemental would work much better with the already established flavor of the cave.
>>
File: cia.jpg (1KB, 49x65px) Image search: [Google]
cia.jpg
1KB, 49x65px
>>50788874
Bane?
>>
>>50790646
Yeah, I'm ready for derailing which is why I don't want to put too much thought beyond what's powering Wave Echo Cave and how it can be defeated. The details of that can be worked out later.

I mostly chose a fallen angel since I thought it worked with the time scale of Wave Echo Cave (it's gotta be at least 500 years old), and there's a high challenge rating right in the Monster Manual for it. Elementals by default aren't that strong but I guess I could make it an "Ancient Elemental" and beef it up or something.
>>
File: baneposting.png (457KB, 467x419px) Image search: [Google]
baneposting.png
457KB, 467x419px
>>50790693
>crashing this plane
>with no outsiders
>>
So we are at risk of facing an army of celestials, and being the wizard with a level in cleric, I am making the call that the next time we see a celestial I have to get information from it, and I'm deciding planar binding will be my best bet. I just would like a second opinion on the combo to see if there is more room to make it better, as I don't like relying on saving throw failures.

Step 1) Banishment, forcing a charisma save against my wizard save which is 18 at the moment. The wild magic sorcerer can lower their roll by d4.
Step 2) Ready a magic circle spell, which takes a minute to cast but banishment lasts that long. End the banishment in the circle when it ends. No save.
Step 3) Use the one hour of magic circle to cast planar binding, which forces another charisma save, to get it to obey my character. Then it can tell me everything I need hopefully.

Two saves, and 1100 gold worth of material components.

Anything else I can do or other options? Hoping for two more levels for planar ally could be good but takes a lot of time, and commune/divination might help but also just give me no new information.
Any ideas on how I can shorten this or make it safer? They roam the material plane flying around, so catching them in a magic circle without banishment is something I wouldn't rely on.
>>
I want to play RPGs, but I know no one will want to GM. Have any GMs ever started in that position? Seems like a lot of work for a newbie...
>>
UA Samurai looks to be really, really good, while Knight looks to be really, really situational. Maybe I'm just not seeing the potential, but Fighting Spirit and Strength Before Death seem a lot better than Implacable Mark or Defender's Blade, especially because they put a bunch of limitations on reaction attacks.
>>
>>50790906
The only reason I'm DMing is because I really wanted to play and knew this was the only way it would happen.

Friend bought the starter set, brought it over one day and we all just kind of dove in. If everyone's new then you'll all have fun learning how to play the game together.

Just have an okay handle on the rules and do your best to relax. It doesn't have to be perfect, and sometimes it's more fun when it's not.
>>
Feinting Attack vs Precision Attack

>Feinting Attack
advantage is equivalent to a +5 so better than d8
you get to add the Sup Die as damage
target might die before you use the die
need to have a spare bonus action at the end of your turn
more crit chance thanks to advantage

>Precision attack
you get to see the roll before spending the Sup die
d10 to attack roll is better than advantage

Feinting attack seems pretty underated, am I missing something ?
>>
Repost from last thread, tweaked some features and added F R E E spells to Sorcerer(for now). Any criticism is appreciated, this is still rough draft and I'm trying to find a good balance between fluff and mechanics before balancing 100%.
>>
>>50790974
No, that's right. The difference comes when you need to stack as many accuracy bonuses as you can (the arrow hitting is more important than the damage), so you get advantage from a different source and pray the +1d8 is good enough to cut it.
Given bounded accuracy, it's very situational and you'd be better off having a friendly bard sing your spirits up.
>>
>>50790974
Feinting attack adds the die to the damage.

Advantage is not equivalent to a +5, but instead rather variable. It almost doubles crit chance and has a variable effect depending on the target's AC.

I'd say that feinting attack is more reliable looks generally better, but it has to be a creature within 5ft.
However, precision attack is much better against very-high-AC targets as long as it's not insanely high AC.
>>
>>50790974
Feinting takes a bonus action. There are ways to dish out an extra attacks for that action instead.
Also, in a party worth its salt, you should always have advantage already.
Feinting is good if you are low level and on your own (so you don't have advantage, and you don't have ways to use a bonus action), and you'll try your best to make it suck as hard as possible as you go up in levels.
>>
>>50791035
Looks breddy gud.
I'd tell more about the feywild portal though - is it actually a portal one can use or is it merely an effect?
>>
>>50791050
Oh, and just to make it clear, I was talking about Accurate being situational. Feinting Attack is just generically good, if a bit vanilla (you want advantage whenever you can get it, but you get in in a lot of places).
You get better options later on, when the party goes to work.
>>
>>50791080
>>50790974
Oh, and as said, there are other things like advantage not stacking, advantage cancelling disadvantage, things that only trigger off of advantage.. And the fact it takes a bonus action.

If you don't already have advanatage or have a bonus action to use, feinting attack is generally better.
>>
>>50788362
>itt: no one except >>50789406 knows what a trip is
>>
>>50791125
Good question, should something like "This portal can be traversed to enter the Feywild" be added onto its effect?
>>
File: 1486947291.jpg (22KB, 610x407px) Image search: [Google]
1486947291.jpg
22KB, 610x407px
BREEEEEHS

just check the megaanon's github tools, it's pretty good
>>
>>50791035
You haven't specified how often you can use the fey portal. Raw, you can use it as often as you want, resulting in infinite sorcery points.
>>
>>50791035
The Wicked Trickster ability could be worded better, how does it work if the Sorc casts Sleep?
>>
>>50790881
Casting Magic Circle as a 4th level spell gives you two shots at forcing a Planar Binding save.

A well-timed Bestow Curse can give disadvantage to saving throws, but someone else needs to cast it a within a minute of your spell's completion.

Many celestials have magic resistance, and some may have access to Dispel Magic, so watch out.
>>
>>50791182
Forgot to put that on it, but it can only be used once per long rest.

>>50791195
Yeah wording isn't my best feature. The trouble with Wicked Trickster is that most enchantment effects end when a creature is damaged, so "unconscious" was my solution to that. But it might make more trouble with that added on, got any ideas on how to word it/fix it?
>>
>>50790306
>Why did you get rid of how it eats Haste/Slow spells for hp and buffs?
I felt like it was unnecessary, since it's unlikely it will get targeted by those, and its defense is already high as fuck. But I'm still pondering on it and could bring it back anyway.

>Blink Through Time-Blink-Displace interaction
The original Displace just shunted people out of time, I thought it'd be cooler to shunt people to other times in the same place, but ended up keeping both options. Maybe I should remove the former. And by having Blink take the elemental to the same time as Displace, the PC then can actually try to contribute, and it's interesting to see how they deal with a party split mid-combat.

>CR
Its offense is relatively pretty low, CR 6 if I made the math right, but its defense is astronomical. Effective AC 19 (steal time), HP 152 + 20*3 (I figured Rewind would work similar to Legendary Resistances in CR, but I'm probably completely wrong), all of that x1.5 because of the resistances.

>Rewind
It did felt it was a bit of a bullshit move, but since it's just on this one single monster it should be fine if not overused. I just had this cool image in my head, "You nimbly catch the glowing bead and throw it away! As it flies, the entity raises one of its hands, fingers arched forward as if holding a knob. It turns its hand counterclockwise... and the bead returns to your hand as time is shifted backwards for a second."
I'll admit I added this with my party in mind, considering they are very likely to counterspell (2 wizards) and save against it (cha paladin). Besides they get to bullshit with Lucky and Portent all the time.
>>
>>50791163
stop samefagging Goblins
>>
>>50791050
>>50790974
>>50791050
>>50791080
Thanks

I did miss that feinting attack is only melee, and I oversaw that you'll probably get advantage some other way.

As for the bonus action, you use feinting attack at the end of your turn (if you happen to still have your ba) and consume the advantage on your next turn. Anything wrong with that ?

>adv is not equivalent to +5
Yeah I was summing it up, *2 to crit chance and rouhgly +5 (in the sense .5 chance to roll above 15). How do you represent advantage for comparison purposes ? Do you actually compute the dmg for given ACs ?
>>
>>50791336
fuck off nigger
>>
>>50791336
/5e/detective at his finest
>>
>>50790178
It does fine for me, but english is not my first language. The original was called "Chronalmental" which I thought sounded just awful and twisted my tongue. I don't really have another name for it, though. Would simply "Time Elemental" work better?
>>
>>50791401
Time Twister, Chronamoly.
>>
Anyone else think Battlemasters should have acces to ALL the maneuvers at lvl 3. Why is it not the case, would that really be broken ?
>>
help me out with this encounter:

level 3 party finds a key
key goes into a door
door is actually a golem that activates when the party puts the key in
golem is a door golem, but using flesh golem stats more or less, and comes out and starts to attack the party, revealing a SECOND door behind the door golem.
the party needs to take the key from the door golem and stick it in the second door, which they can do with or without killing the golem

does this just have like a 90% chance to wipe the party? because they probably can't deal that well with a flesh golem right? immunity to nonmagical weapon damage, even with a weakness to fire? or do you think a party might conceivably be able to beat the golem, even if they don't think to take its key and deactivate it?

is there a good way to hint at this without straight up telling them they can shortcut the encounter by taking the key out? maybe some identical symbols above each keyhole?

i might give them some fire weapons somehow, and casters might know some fire spells. hitting it with a torch? give them some oil canisters? maybe give them a bomb of some kind?

i could drop the immunity and give it resistance, and or drop multiattack to slow it down a little, since a few attacks at 2d8+4 is enough to kill most pcs. i might make its weapons nonmagical if someone rolls a barbarian too.

pic not really related because idk if "door golem" is a thing people draw.
>>
>>50791401
>>50791436
Temporamental
>>
>>50791452
thinking about this more (sorry), i feel like theres a good chance with this group if i describe their blows as not really effecting the door golem, they'll look for a way to run, which will lead them to the door it was previously guarding. so that might work out.
also they'll (hopefully) have an (noncombat) npc in tow who maybe i'll just say after X rounds will yell out "the key! the key!"
>>
>get back from work
>there's a new thread already
>i've missed the "necromancers / undead aren't evil" argument
i'm not gonna read through all of the last thread, but i will say that if you disagree with evil undead and necromancers you're a faggot who needs to learn how alignments work
>>
>>50791340
Let's say you need to hit an AC of 20, with a +0 to hit and you have to choose between advantage or a +5
>chance of rolling a 20 with advantage
39/400=9.8%
>chance of rolling a 15
6/20=30%

Now the same but for AC 10
>advantage
79%
>+5
16/20=80%
>>
>>50788362
So /5eg/, I'm interested in trying 5e out after a while of playing Pathfinder, but I got a question.
How difficult would it be to convert pathfinder modules into 5e? And what are the main differences between the two systems?
>>
>>50791466
Temporaltantrummental
>>
>>50791487
You literally suck at 5e
>>
How tough WOULD a four-way fight against a Djinni, Efreeti, Marid and Dao actually be?

Calculators say that it would be a deadly encounter even for level 20's but that doesn't seem right but I guess it depends on party size.
>>
>>50791487
I agree wholeheartedly and find it hard to believe there could be anyone so bad at D&D as to think otherwise
>>
>>50791500
There's no bounded accuracy, and power levels differ completely between the two systems. You need to re-make all the crunch almost from scratch. Fortunately that's not too hard with 5e, because it's like AD&D+
>>
>>50791510
>four-way fight
>four NPC combatants listed
>talking about encounter difficulty for PCs
uh, clarify
>>
File: 1471082254973891.png (337KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1471082254973891.png
337KB, 375x523px
>>50791533
>>50791508
>>
There's so many goblins about today I think that lvl 20 warrior could try and see if he can defeat them all.
>>
>>50791549
is he a whip-wielding bugbear battlemaster?
>>
Reeeeeeee normies get out of my name.
>>
>>50791533
>>50791508
FUCKING TRIPFAG STOP SAMEFAGGING
>>
File: fishfaces.gif (4MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
fishfaces.gif
4MB, 500x281px
>>50791537
Well shit, guess it's time to get to work then. Hope the conversion guide has everything I need
>>
Wow I sure enjoy my +1 int and light armour proficiency.
>>
File: smuggoblins.jpg (131KB, 590x733px) Image search: [Google]
smuggoblins.jpg
131KB, 590x733px
>>50791603
>mfw you typed our name wrong
>>
Anyone want some moisturizing cream?
>>
>>50791636
Int is useless
>>
File: ultradab.png (29KB, 132x111px) Image search: [Google]
ultradab.png
29KB, 132x111px
>>50791615
Go home virt
>>
>>50791615
ONE. YOU FUCKING NEWFAGGOT, HE IS A NAMEFAG, NOT A TRIPFAG
TWO, YOU GODDAMN IDIOT, HE IS FUCKING COUNTERING HIS OWN POINT IN THE SECOND POST
NOT SAMEFAGGING HIS OWN ARGUMENT UNDER THE GUISE OF ANONYMITY
>>
>>50791452
Magical weapons do not affect rage. And do not drop the immunity, if you want it to be a golem then make it a golem. Otherwise just use a buffed mimic. Do give them a way to damage it, though. You could hint at the fear of fire in a book the party finds earlier in the dungeon, describing golems. Have them find some kind of magic weapon or item that heats up when used to attack, so that they can use it to bypass the immunity, but it gets so hot that if they hold it for a full round they start taking damage too, so they have to keep throwing it around. Sadly it shatters with the final blow on the golem, though (unless you want them to keep it).
>>
What is going on in this thread
>>
Imma raise me some undead
>>
>>50791701
A guy decided it would be a good idea to namefag and that ruined the general.
>>
>>50791715
fucking tripfags amirite
>>
this place strange
>>
>>50791672
you sound a lot like him
>>
File: 1478659262422.png (3MB, 1207x1167px) Image search: [Google]
1478659262422.png
3MB, 1207x1167px
I will whip that tripfag!
>>
>>50789057
Well, to be honest I would like to play a scholar who studied together the positive and the negative energie, life and death, enthalpy and entropy - two faces of the same coin, one cannot exist without the other. In AD&D necromancy was both encompassing animate deads and cure wounds and I like that vision of necromancy. He would prefer not to ressurect the deads or raise them as zombies because it create a big disequilibrium in the positive/negative energy balance.
How could I create such a character? The only way seems wizard with the UA tradition devotion, but I don't want him to be very religious.
>>
KOBOLD DRAGON HUNTING PARTY GOES IN ALL FIELDS
>>
I think goblins is the one posting all these mene names in an attempt to get back at people for adopting his name. Be
>>
>>50791759
Since you are apparently incapable of understanding simple terminology and seeing obvious differences I can see how you would come to that conclusion.
>>
>>50791799
>Be
what did he mean by this
>>
new thread when

this one is shit
>>
>>50791858
I'll make it right now.
>>
File: 1473883076857.jpg (1MB, 1061x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1473883076857.jpg
1MB, 1061x1500px
What are some things you can do in combat without breaking Sanctuary?
>>
File: Door Golem.png (126KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
Door Golem.png
126KB, 500x641px
>>50791686
okay. I'll take that under advisement.

i don't want this to have multiattack because i don't want it to just wipe one party member at a time. does anyone have any good ideas for other attacks a door golem could have?
>>
>>50791808
REMINDER:
>Hide Goblins threads
>Ignore Goblins posts
>Do not reply to Goblins
>>
>>50791861
spirit guardians. Done
>>
>>50791861
Drop traps, such as ball bearings and using caltrops.

Set up illusions.

Use the help action
>>
>>50791880
How about now?
>>
One more meme to /5e/ list

>Goblins

We are adding things fast to the list
>>
>>50791861
shitpost in /5eg/ with a shitty name
>>
File: mmgoblin.jpg (76KB, 605x326px) Image search: [Google]
mmgoblin.jpg
76KB, 605x326px
>>50791938
which version is best
>>
>>50791965
PF gobbos look like they have 3 str and con.
>>
>>50791943
>>50791965
>>50791917
STOP INDULGING THE TRIPFAG YOU FUCKING IDIOTS ARE YOU FUCKING NEW
>>
File: Goblins_-_Steve_Prescott.jpg (133KB, 640x396px) Image search: [Google]
Goblins_-_Steve_Prescott.jpg
133KB, 640x396px
>>50791965
4e
>>
>>50791861
Help action.
>>
>>50791990
>4e goblins didn't have a nose
>5e goblins have a very big one
What did Mearls mean by this?
>>
>>50792004
((()))
>>
>>50791990
Agreed
>>
>>50791983
You answered your own question. You're the newest of any of us since you don't know what a trip is versus a name.
>>
>>50791990
>implying 5e's goblins aren't the best
Wanna know how I know you suck at 5e?
>>
ctrl+f "goblins"
39 results

samefag has one fifth of all the posts in the general
/tg/ has really gone to shit
>>
>>50792046
how?
>>
>>50792077
>173 posts
>47 IPs
Get over yourself newfag
>>
File: bce.jpg (46KB, 608x402px) Image search: [Google]
bce.jpg
46KB, 608x402px
>>50792004
>goblins are big-nosed creatures
>main enemy of starter set, feature prominently in many campaigns
5e is truly redpilled
>>
>>50792094
m e m e s
>>
>>50792107
Technically that doesn't mean you aren't samefagging.
>>
>>50792156
>>50792156
>>50792107
fuck off tripfags
>>
>>50792156
No but timers do.
>>
>>50792172
>implying this whole thread was not made by a single schizophrenic man
>>
>>50791653
Ha ha well why don't you get a load of my martial weapon proficiency

+1 int, light armour proficiency and one martial weapon proficiency. What's not to love? Now, what class can you play with that that isn't a wizard?
>>
>>50792186
How many computers do we have in this scenario because the minimum 1 minute between each post makes this impossible.
>>
>>50791990
Yes
>>
>>50792196
Wizards don't even need int
>>
>>50792202
>Implying I don't know how to switch ips.
>>
>>50792225
I really don't know tho
>>
Where were you when everything went to shit.
>>
>>50792225
>>50792202
see
>>
>>50792241
>>
>>50792241
I was typing a name into the namefield, thinking it would help people recognize my smart opinions
>>
I've been looking at going champion fighter, but everyone's shits on it. Would champion fighter with great weapon master not keep up with battle master?
>>
Goblins a shit
>>
>>50792267
It's not about keeping up, it's about being boring as shit. Champions aren't fun.
>>
>>50792267
why would you do this to yourself willingly
>>
>>50792281
>Goblins a shit
word
>>
>>50792267
They deal comparable damage, but they have less fun options. Battlemaster gives you the same damage, more fun combat and more general utility.
>>
>>50792266
You're the cancer this board doesn't need.
>>
>>50792314
>You're the cancer this board doesn't need.
but the cancer we deserve
>>
Hey guys its original Goblins here you can stop using my name
>>
>>50792299
REEEEEE
>>
>>50792314
For you.
>>
>tfw I started all this by imitating him first
This thread and the next one may be doomed, but I hope we've all learned a valuable lesson from the experience.
>>
>>50792322
kys tripfag
>>
>>50792338
>tfw I started this
>>
>>50792338
top tier name choice though
>>
>>50792338
was the lesson don't trust a goblin?
>>
12/20/16 the day /5eg/ fell to a tripfag
>>
>>50791211
Thank you, we are 9th level with only one use of planar binding but the higher level magic circle idea is good
>>
>>50792442
Could be worse. I could be President.
>>
may Garl Glittergold save us
>>
Hey everybody, what's going on in here?
>>
File: 1481570286995-tg.jpg (156KB, 800x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1481570286995-tg.jpg
156KB, 800x1136px
I'm sorry guys, I really am.
>>
>>50792500
>Garl Glittergold
He would make things even worse
>>
>>50792484
not politics again please
can we discuss necromancers again?
>>
>>50791510
Players vs a Djinni, Efreeti, Marid and Dao.

Four-way fight was misleading, my bad.
>>
>>50792338
>>50792437

Well I'm sure some learned the difference between a tripfag and a namefag
>>
Need help with a Race for my Monk.

He was trained by priests at a church/monastery. But all the priests are actually Culstists(warlocks) and the God is their patron.
He was trained as a Monk and not a Warlock or "Cleric" because they don't want him knowing their nefarious purposes. They claimed he was "the chosen one" when in reality he was the most survivable thing around. They then sent him on a pilgrimage to summon their god to this world.

I think the race of the character is somewhat dependent on the race of the cultists.

If they are Hobgoblin Warlocks, i was thinking the monk would be a Bugbear.

Any suggestions for the race of the Cultists? race for the monk? and what the patron of the Cultists/Warlocks is?
>>
>>50792532
If they mess around with undead, they're evil.
>>
>>50792566
What patron is it?
>>
>>50792589
>sucking so much at 5e
>>
>>50792633
Probably GOO. But any of them work imo.
>>
new thread
>>50792577
>>50792577
>>50792577
>>
>>50792267
If you did that, you would be better at long-term fights where a battlemaster doesn't get to get their dice back.

However, champion doesn't really get any interesting benefits until survivor/triple crit chance, unlike some such as EK getting more spells the entire time.

Champion is good for multiclassing. Say, into barbarian on a half-orc.
>>
>>50792566
I was never a big fan of making a character for the purpose of "discovering" some big secret that I know but the character doesn't. I mean, I can feign surprise when my character discovers the thing I made up six months ago, but in D&D you can be legitimately surprised by things if you just let your DM take some liberties.
>>
File: Soon.png (462KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Soon.png
462KB, 480x640px
What are some good Druid cantrips? First time playing one (arctic land druid). So far I have:
-Guidance (because duh)
-Produce Flame (primary attack)
-Druidcraft (outdoorsy campaign, knowing the weather is occasionally useful)

I was thinking either Frostbite (thematic, useful debuff, but I probably don't need another ranged spell cantrip) or Thunderclap (a pbaoe is nice, but we play theater of mind mostly so positioning is awkward) but maybe I something like Resistance or Mold Earth would get more use?
Thoughts?
>>
Been putting together a Warlock, and I'm still very new to 5th edition. But is it just me, or are invocations that require a spell slot fucking pointless?

My most finite resource are my spell slots. Why would I ever take an invocation that "lets" me spend one of my few spell slots, and then I can't even cast the spell again until a long rest? Are those spells such big game-changers that they need that many limitations?
>>
>>50792722
Fuck you, attention seeking faggot.
>>50792993
Most invocations that require a spell slot are pointless. A few feature spells powerful enough to be worth it.

But the general tiering goes:
Good
At will effects
Eldritch blast passives
Other passives
Spell slot users.
Bad
>>
>>50792993
One of the best changes you can make to Warlocks is to remove the "using a spell slot" part of all those invocations.
>>
>>50792993
Yes, they are.
>>
>>50793020
Hey, fuck you too
>>
File: this ugly son of a bitch pat.png (22KB, 153x240px) Image search: [Google]
this ugly son of a bitch pat.png
22KB, 153x240px
Updated 5etools so that it jumps to an item based on the URL hash, so you can link to a specific item you have selected.

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Tarrasque

Works on all pages.
>>
>>50793020
>>50793022
Yep, that's what I figured, thanks. I'll take note to avoid those, or possibly ask the DM about that house rule if one of those invocations is otherwise appealing. It just looks like they're moderately useful spells that got "balanced" with painfully high costs.
>>
Why did WOTC do this
>letting monks use weapon damage as their damage die when using martial arts with monk monk weapons
>give monks shortsword (and other weapons) with 1d6, making other weapons that don't deal 1d6 useless until you get a bigger Martial Arts die
Instead of:
>damage die starts at 1d6
>you can use any weapon to do martial arts, but you MUST use your martial arts damage die
>>
>>50793473
Because mearls and Crawford are hacks.
>>
>>50793490
The more content they release, the more they highlight their hackiness.
>>
>>50788362
GMing my 2nd campaign ever.

The group is level 5-6

>Human Fighter, Monster Hunter - uses holy water a repeating crossbow, and two-hands a blessed longsword.

>Human Rogue Swashbuckler - fights with twin-sabres, and a flintlock pistol.

>Human Rogue Mastermind/Monk - fights unarmed, lots of throwing weapons.

>Dwarf Barbarian Berserker - Great Axe, likes to grapple and throw things.

>Half-Elf Valour Bard - with a bow, longsword, and buckler.

Any suggestions on plot hooks / campaigns I could run for them?

The last campaign was in three small parts. The first was abit of a murder mystery of certain NPCs. Which led them to uncover the nobility of the small city were actually vampires.

The second part was the killing of the vampire queen (hoping that killing the source would remove the other vampires as well)

The third was defending the city from attacking orc/goblin horde who had been previously scared of the vampires but now sensed weakness.
>>
File: Reaction Army Tanker.png (606KB, 513x739px) Image search: [Google]
Reaction Army Tanker.png
606KB, 513x739px
Played my first real D&D game yesterday. We went with the 5e starter campaign....

I think I've gotten everyone killed by pulling the entire fucking horde from the first dungeon. Should be fun though, we finish playing tonight.
>>
>>50793644

That first cave in Lost Mines is notoriously deadly. Many a player has died in there.
>>
>>50793644
Run, nigga, run.

We all know how destructive goblins can be.
>>
>>50792993
There are some exceptions. 'Polymorph' is considered to be a very strong spell, so that invocation may actually be worth taking.
>>
Seems like Treachery Paladins can do an ungodly amount of damage with several +paladin level damage features and easy advantage
>>
File: Reaction Army Tanker Derp.png (607KB, 513x739px) Image search: [Google]
Reaction Army Tanker Derp.png
607KB, 513x739px
>>50793658
>>50793661

We've got them bottlenecked in, next session I'm going to build some cover out of their corpses. We left off in the middle of the fight last night and we'll finish it today. I think it'll be okay.
>>
Anyone know if the Mega's been updated with the weekly UA stuff since WotC started outputting them on a weekly basis the last month or so?
>>
>>50793815
Yes, it has.
>>
>>50793815
Try looking
>>
>>50793853
Ok, thanks.

Looks like all it's missing is the very latest one, which I can download and add to it easy enough. Gives me something to read and number crunch on over the holidays.
>>
So what's the point to size categories in 5e? Like, is there any change between a small and a medium size character? They seem to deal the same damage, have the same AC, occupy the same amount of space, etc.
>>
>>50793990
Small can't grapple/push large creatures.
Small has disadvantage with heavy weapons.
Medium can't fit in the same places and have a harder time hiding.

I like small and medium generally following the same rules.
>>
>>50793990
NPC hit die is determined by size.

The damage die of larger weapons increases for each size it is above medium (2d6 -> 4d6 -> 6d6 -> 8d6)

You can't grapple a creature two or more size categories larger than you.

You can move through a hostile creature's square if it's two or more sizes larger than you.

Your carrying capacity and carry/lift/pull/push weight doubles for each size above Medium you are.

Size determines how much space you take up in combat.

Small creatures have disadvantage on all attacks with heavy weapons.
>>
File: 1464402106219.gif (68KB, 278x340px) Image search: [Google]
1464402106219.gif
68KB, 278x340px
>playing martials
>>
>>50793620
There's still a power vacuum, presumably?
>>
>>50789794
Loot and plunder every idea worth using that still meshes well with he design philosophy of 5e, take inspiration from and adapt what doesn't but seems cool anyway, discard the rest as inferior garbagio, famalam.
>>
On the topic of yesterdays:
theangrygm.com/fighting-spirit/

tl;dr format:
>instead of making death saves at HP=0, you're put in a state that makes your attacks less effective, but more defensive options are still viable. You get a second pool of health, and if this pool of health reaches zero, you're dead.
>HP is easier to heal than this second pool, which typically heals over long rests.

To address issues such as
>I don't care if I reach 0 HP, if I don't attack then the monsters won't die any faster and if the monsters survive I'll be dead anyway after.
>I don't care if I reach 0 HP, a healer will just heal me up again with 1 HP!
>I'm a DM, and I could kill a downed player with this creature-that-loves-killing-downed-players, but it's outright dickish because the player dropped to 0 very fast and had almost no chance to save themself / I'm a player and I can't do anything once I hit 0, not even try to defend myself. I don't have anything to do.
>I'm a DM, and I'm not sure if my creature should attack a downed player or not. The player will just get up again, but the creature doesn't know that.
>The party finds it hard to agree on when they should flee, and the might only agree on it when half the players are downed and they'd want to keep fighting to spare their friends.
>The party keeps making dangerous assumptions they'll get a long rest, and instead of punishing them with one death the entire party would die if the DM ambushes them.

Thoughts? Too complex? Non-issues?
>>
>>50794669
>theangrygm
>>
File: 1478971500870.jpg (13KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1478971500870.jpg
13KB, 540x489px
>>50794679
I've little past experience with them and from my neutral standpoint they did make a number of points I thought were issues too, even if their way of wording it was a little long-winded.
>>
>>50794669
>gives everyone more HP
>makes healers do their fucking job before people are KO'd
i like it but my table is too stupid to keep two numbers in their heads at the same time
>>
>>50793780
Yeah, Blackguards do get some pretty decent bonus damage, but it's Poison type, which is right behind fire as the most commonly resisted type.
>>
>>50794708
Same. Especially the stupid part.
>>
>>50794708
Honestly that does sound like a thing. Someone with temporary HP would have three health pools, and keeping track of that...

It doesn't necessarily give everyone more HP. Whenever you go down to 0, your death saves reset. In comparison, this extra HP pool doesn't reset. Though, it's possible that damage from the first HP pool cannot overflow into the second.
>>
I've really taken a shine to hags thanks to Volo's Guide to Monsters. So let's do something fun /5eg/. Let's come up with appropriate "weird magic" to use in hag encounters.

>The hag steps between two facing mirrors, facing each other, and her reflections step out, creating two illusory duplicates as per the Mirror Image spell
>A Bheur hag breaks off an icicle from her hair and shapes it into a projectile as per the Ice Knife spell, cast as a 4th level spell
>The hag opens up a small music box, and as the melody begins to play, it creates a Confusion effect in a 10-foot-radius around it, as per the spell.
>A dreamcatcher-like device which is prominently displayed on the wall acts as a lightning rod to a spell targeting the hag, essentially functioning as a single-use Counterspell before the magic burns it out

Or if you could trick the players into accepting gear from the hag, they could have built-in failsafes.
>A helmet that casts Crown of Madness on its wearer when the hag speaks a command word
>A magic ring which, on top of its advertised effect, creates a Warding Bond with the hag as its target
>>
>>50794083
The multi class splashability of obfuscate does a lot to make martials excellent at their job, tho.
Playing a caster means starting already 1 action behind.
>>
>>50791283
Having multiple of these things would help get some use out of your Blink ability.

Perhaps if something gets displaced, the Time Elemental enters into their frozen time. Roll for initiative, and they can have one on one combat for two rounds, and then they return to the universal time frame. It makes getting displaced a Big Moment, that puts the spotlight on that PC. 1v1 for two rounds should be fast and dangerous for the PC that got Displaced.

Respeccing this monster with Legendary abilities might also work, really driving home how fast it can be, and Legendary Resistances can function as the Rewind, without additional busy work.
>>
>>50794669
Samefagging here but I'd like to point out

I've had it before where a player loses on initiative and is attacked by a monster. Say, the monster successfully paralyzes the player and then attacks them.
The player was a caster, so they go down.

That player has had the ability to do anything taken away from them. If nobody comes to help them, they're going to be left dying like any other red shirt.

Of course, there probably 'will' be a party healer (though that shouldn't be a necessity) and there definitely will be others on hand to help them, but it's such a shame to deprive them of the ability to even say 'well, I've been beaten really badly and I might be unable to help a lot this fight but I'll drag my bloodied body back towards my teammates and try to cast something, even if it might fail now.'
>>
>>50790350
This is Battle Tendency Isn't it?
>>
>Current Party includes a Dreams Druid, a revised Ranger with Magic Initiate for Find Familiar, and a Paladin
As the DM, this is more healing potential than I expected.
>>
>>50794287
Well in order to over throw the queen they had to make allies and essentially set up a council of merchants and nobles that took over once the queen died. So not really. I was thinking of having them move off and go somewhere else.

Do you think I should keep it in the city / surrounds?
>>
>>50794802
>hags
Would you seduce a night hag to get her help you become immortal?
>>
>>50795029
would and have
>>
File: PC-NamelessOne[1].jpg (17KB, 255x417px) Image search: [Google]
PC-NamelessOne[1].jpg
17KB, 255x417px
>>50795029
>>50795033
Stat me /tg/
>>
What are fitting instruments for a valor bard? I'm thinking either a drum, a flute, or a lute.
>>
Alright people, worked on this a bit more. Tell me what you think, still a bit iffy on Wicked Trickster, I am unsure if I made it too strong or not.
>>
>>50794992
Great, no need to hold back
>>
>>50795065
Harpsichord. Because you have to be brave as balls todrag that into battle
>>
>>50795062
Fuck you.
>>
>>50795065
Steel Pan. Strap it to your chest, dual wield clubs.
>>
>>50795177
Well I am trying to decide on what weapons to use but I was leaning towards a longsword for flavor reasons. Downside is having to put points in Str, but this isn't 3.5 so who needs int...
>>
>>50795065
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf78qZD1uZ0
Just get a strap for hands-free play.
>>
>>50795086
Why?
>>
>>50795010
No, not really, if they've tied things up there.

Maybe they're granted lands for all their efforts, but when they arrive, the castle is occupied?
>>
So I'm making a setting that just shoves orcs and elves and wizards and guys in full plate with swords into the fucking Wild West. Guns are all replaced by weird-ass crossbows, trains are magic-powered but still require (MAGIC) coal, guys wander around in chainmail all day, and so on.

Obviously, the Dwarves should be Spaniards / Mexicans, right? I'm not crazy in thinking this?
>>
>>50795010
Maybe it turns out the merchants and nobles are a band of were-animals that competed with the vampires for dominance, and now they have free reign of the city things go downhill quickly. But the problem is there's no one else left to rule the place.
>>
>>50795251
Are you me? Because I too am making that kind setting. Bound-elemental powered trains and everything.

Except I had not!Aztec Wood elves, which resulted in Half-Elf not!Mexico.
>>
>>50795289
hahaha

I can imagine their faces when I reveal that. They were annoyed that I pulled the "the big bad was actually staving off a possibly worse evil!" card.

>>50795222
I like this too. Maybe that can be phase 1, then they clear the lands, return to the city and bam! were-animals.

They will probably just go full murder-hobo and clear the city of all life to make sure there are no more surprises.
>>
>>50795066
Fey Ancestor and Feywild Magic seem far more aligned with Warlock Patrons, which seems to be your intent. I also think the abilities are kind of underpowered; the Draconic Resilience and Wild Magic Surge both have good combat applications but this origin does not.

Wicked Trickster is really powerful. Dominate Person turns into a Save or Die because you can hit your target as many times as you want during the duration and they don't get additional saves to end the effect. The reaction effect is also deceptively powerful since it not only negates the attack, if you're only adjacent to enemies it deflects the attack into another foe.

Courtly Tolerance is fun and I love it.

Phantasmal Cloak seems perfectly fine.

Thin the Veil is pretty great, each effect is fairly moderate in power but when combined they become something greater. I quite like it.

Overall I think you have some good ideas, I'd just chance your level 1 features so they're more combat-oriented and don't give spells know, and I would adjust Wicked Trickster so they instead have disadvantage to their save, or may make a save with disadvantage if it would instead end immediately.
>>
File: Tempuramental.jpg (49KB, 564x587px) Image search: [Google]
Tempuramental.jpg
49KB, 564x587px
>>50791466
>Not to be confused with my favorite Elemental, the Tempuramental, made of the living essence of fry oil
>>
>>50795353
He looks temperamental
>>
>>50794669
Sounds sort of like Pillars of Eternity and their whole Health/Endurance mechanic. Endurance was a small pool of points but was easy to replenish with healing spells and such (fighter classes even regenerated it naturally). After most fights endurance would regenerate fairly quickly (typically before the next encounter). Running out of endurance was a KO but possible to revive mid combat. Health was a much larger pool (like 3-6x your endurance) but basically the only way to restore health was by sleeping. Also, your current endurance could never exceed your current health. If you ran out of health, the character was dead. Damage taken was applied equally to both health and endurance.

Basically it gave characters a per-encounter health (endurance) pool and a per-day health pool. Worked well but as a video game all that stuff could be tracked automatically.
>>
>>50791510
>>50792539
Probably with the players picking sides in the inevitable infighting between the genies and backstabbing the survivor they helped beat the other 3
>>
>>50795346
Maybe something more to do with the characters themselves?

Do they have any goals as individuals or as a team? I personally prefer to play character arcs than "go to A, do the thing, you get reward, now go to B"

btw, the Murder mystery into government toppling sounds awesome. Was that a adventure book?
>>
>>50795346
>They will probably just go full murder-hobo and clear the city of all life to make sure there are no more surprises.
And that's when the necromantic cult moves in
>>
>>50791401
Change Chronal to Chrono and it flows better.
>>
File: MjAxMy1iNzY1NmIwNTY3NjY0YTcy.png (62KB, 420x294px) Image search: [Google]
MjAxMy1iNzY1NmIwNTY3NjY0YTcy.png
62KB, 420x294px
>>50795395
How I'd feel if I was in this party, forever trapped in this cursed city of evil monster rulers.
>>
>>50795378
Well, I'd probably say that for any game modification you generally want to make sure all players are on board, so I don't think I'd ever try to change death saves unless everybody had a bit of experience and was fine with it.

It's confusing enough to newer players already, but if you half-assed explain it and they read the book and get confused because you made something different it'll be even more confusing.

Though, what's the nature of the KO there? It still seems to have a 'if you lose you first HP pool, you go unconscious'
I guess part of the idea is to stop the 'you lose your HP, you're now unconscious and can do jack shit' thing.
>>
>>50795378
I think you could achieve a similar effect by reducing a knocked-out characters max HP until the next long rest. Eventually you're going to go down quicker and then when your max HP is zero you're dead.

Slightly more forgiving might be giving them a level of exhaustion.
>>
>>50795349
I appreciate the feedback friend, I'll definitely work on it a bit more to make it far more balanced and in-line with the other choices.
>>
>>50795378
Players might also be a lot more reluctant to be knocked out if you let them roll on the lingering injuries table from the DMG whenever that happened.
>>
>>50795391
They do, they do.

>Monster Hunter
Find a particular vampire, and kill him. Pretty much a revenge story. It was rumours of vampires in the city that drew him to city where he met the party.

>Swashbuckler
Amateur gunsmith, his goal is to develop a revolver & lever action rifle. Pretty much adventures for money and field testing opportunities. Tagging along.

>Rogue/Monk
searching for clues to legendary ruins (!Atlantis more or less), where a mythical artefact supposedly resides.

>Berserker
He is out to make a legendary saga for himself. Has befriended the Rogue/Monk and is sworn to help him find his ruins - hoping to fight its infamous guardian.

>Bard
He is with the berserker, pretty much wanting to record and sing the tales of the dwarf. Pretty much Gotrex and Felix.

Having actually written all this out together I think i'm getting an idea for a later campaign, where they actually achieve some of their goals.
>>
>>50795525
Max HP won't matter if you only normally get healed half-way anyway, but it would eventually be a problem after two or three downs.

Exhaustion every time you go down is a good one, but honestly it doesn't help with the problems of players being reduced from fully functional to completely unable to do anything in a matter of 1 HP. I feel it'd be nice to let them at least do something, so at the very least they can go out with a fight or get a few words out before they're dead for good.
>>
>>50791872
It slams itself super hard, make a (whatever you want) check, upon failure you're flung backwards (your choice) feet and take (however much you want) damage if you collide into a wall.
>>
>>50795569
Now that you mention it, that was one of the consequences of being KO'd in PoE. You'd get some kind of injury (usually a flat stat penalty) that was annoying until you could long rest. If a character was constantly getting KO'd they'd rack up a number of injuries and basically be garbage until you could rest.
>>
Im trying to make a weaker telekinesis abiltiy.

How would you rate this as a spell? What power level does it fall under? Im kinda worried about giving it grapple. its basically a better hold person, no?
As an action, you can try to move a medium or smaller creature. Make an ability check with your spellcasting ability contested by the creature’s Strength check. If you win the contest, you move the creature up to 5 feet times your spellcasting ability modifier in any direction, but not beyond 60ft. Until the end of your next turn, the creature is grappled. On subsequent rounds, you can use your action to attempt to maintain your grip on the creature by repeating the contest.

You can try to move an object that weighs up to 500 pounds. You can automatically move it up to 15 feet in any direction, but not beyond the range of this spell. You cannot effect an object worn or carried by a creature.
>>
File: bruenito rodrigaz.png (1MB, 878x752px) Image search: [Google]
bruenito rodrigaz.png
1MB, 878x752px
>>50795251
>>
>>50795628
Another possibility is using the "dispirited" effect from >>50794669 and just applying it at half HP ("bloodied," as it was in 4e). It's less intricate but also a lot less to keep track of.

>>50795656
Lingering injuries can be a lot nastier, though. Some of them will cripple you until you can have Regenerate cast on you. But if you really want to put the fear of near-death into players...
>>
>>50794760
Or just make it so temporary HP boosts fighting spirit max hp for a shorter duration rather than have that problem.
>>
>>50795747
How about this? You can use the rules for lifting, carrying, pushing, and grappling and throwing at range. To do so, use your [casting stat] instead of strength or dexterity. Doing so requires to to concentrate on the effect as if with a spell, but dies not require to to have any free hands.
>>
>>50794760
>write numbers down on a piece of paper as with all HP values fluctuating throughout the fight
>never have an issue keeping track of three numbers, two of which are unlikely to go anywhere
>you have literally everyone else's turn to think about your HP until yours rolls around again
Honestly, anyone who couldn't handle this because it's too many numbers must have ADD or no investment in the game.
>>
>>50792566
My favorite character is a Water Genasi Monk, so I'm probably partial to it, but if I had a Water Genasi Monk in that scenario I'd make the cultists Kuo-Toa who broke away from their normal(?) civilization to worship Dagon or Cthulhu. My own Water Genasi Monk is partly inspired by Lovecraft and the fact that in old D&D material there's a theory that Kuo-Toa actually invented martial arts.
>>
>>50795838
The Unearthed Arcana for variant rules also has one for "vitality," which could also be relevant here.
>>
>>50790224
DM's may do two things with regards to player flavor
-suggestions
-vetoes
everything else is on the player
>>
Why do the given crafting rules suck so bad/who's got some good homebrew rules for crafting in 5e?
>>
>>50795997
i like it. about what level would you say it is though?

so i keep the first bit of the spell that grapples them based on a contested check, then scrap the second part in favor of yours?
>>
>>50796008
You'd be surprised how some people fare with bookkeeping, but I guess being new and confused adds a lot to it. If after that they still fail bookkeeping, they're probably just not very invested, true.

>>50795838
I kind of miss the 'bloodied' thing from 4e now, at least. It's not a big change, but it's a gentle reminder to players that their health is going down, though bloodied mostly affected abilities rather than gave you any bonuses/penalties, I think.

>>50795893
Eh, I wouldn't want to cause any particular nerfs or buffs anywhere, although such an overhaul of death saves is bound to have such an effect.
>>
>>50796107
Don't have homebrew myself, but I can answer the first question.

The crafting rules as presented in the DMG suck because the designers don't want crafting to take heavy focus in the majority of games. In their minds, it's meant to be a thing a DM allows PCs to be capable of during downtime, between adventures, not the focus of a character's action.

>>50796121
Bloodied was often a penalty in terms of triggering riders on monster attacks. Some actions could *only* be taken against PCs who were bloodied, and often hit much harder than normal attacks from the monster in question.
>>
>>50796199
Yeah that kind of makes sense, if they didn't make it so that crafting takes forever/costs you more then just buying it outright. There's literally no use for crafting in this game, it's all around
>>
>>50788874
The problem is that paladins are not clerics, none of the oaths should have the default fluff of "worships x kind of god". Oath of trickery still works, hell literally any oath works because it just relies on self-confidence and inner strength and shit, and that pally could revere a trickery god or some powerful fey, but shouldn't necessarily.
>>
>>50795066
Switch wicked trickster to instead give a saving throw upon damage, rather than right out ignoring it. Otherwise dominate person/monster becomes a save or die essentially.

Thin the Veil is poorly worded. The effect should specify a shape (100 ft. radius sphere, 100 ft cube, 100 ft radius cylinder), be either frightened or charmed (chosen when you use the ability) by you. The second bullet point should specify which creatures are at disadvantage, I.E. all creatures in the AoE, or just the ones that failed their saves.
>>
>>50795378
Aside from dying at 0, the ratios for that were in the range that 4E used. It's basically healing surges.
>>
>>50794937
no but it is now
>>
>>50791035
Wicked Trickster would be better in simplicity if it only worked for single-target spells I think, that way you don't change the spell to recast (like sleep). Also not sure why it can be used as a bonus action, choosing what action to use for something is unprecedented IIRC.
Phantasmal cloak is the same, there's no actual trigger, just conditions for when it can be used, so reaction makes no sense.
Thin the Veil makes creatures charmed *and* frightened which is a bit weird. Otherwise seems cool, the wording needs work but just read the relevant features in the PHB and mirror them ("gets knocked down to 0" should be "is reduced to 0 hit points" etc.).
>>
Mantle of inspiration doesn't have a listed duration, does it last until used or does it have the same duration as bardic inspiration?
>>
>>50795251
Dude. Dwarfs are the rail tycoons.
>>
Is there a point to the adventuring gear list or is it all just useless fluff?
>>
>>50795747
https://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/control-water
https://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/shape-water
>>
>>50796652
>Cornelius Thunderhilt

>>50796747
Nigga do you not understand what pots and pans, 10ft poles, and rope are for?
>>
>>50795414
That's... what I did? But I gotta say I really liked >>50791436
>Chronomaly

>>50794838
I was thinking of making a Minor Chronomental, maybe they could do the whole 1v1 thing. Or I could just add a trait stating that the Chronomental rolls a second initiative when a creature gets Displaced by it, that they can only use when Blink is triggered.
>>
>>50796770
uhh... what?
>>
>>50796778
"I search for traps" has replaced the 10 foot pole

Rope comes up like once a campaign

Pots and pans are stupid weapons for a monk
>>
>>50796823
>"I search for traps" has replaced the 10 foot pole
Rolling to search for traps is dumb because it fails so often. If you probe around with a 10-foot pole, if there's a pressure plate or trip wire or whatever, it's gonna get probed, no roll needed.
>>
File: monk.jpg (487KB, 697x749px) Image search: [Google]
monk.jpg
487KB, 697x749px
>>
>>50796823
>I have and/or am a terribly unimaginative DM
Sorry to hear it, friend.
>>
>>50796823
>Pots and pans are stupid weapons
Well they're not fucking weapons now are they? They're for cooking your damn food so you can get a full long rest.
>>
>>50796627

>>50792282
>>50792310
Champions deal an average of .2 damage more per attack with the higher crit range, assuming greatsword. BMs get +4.5 damage on 4 attacks per short rest, total 18 damage. You need to attack 90 times per SHORT rest as a champion to match BM in damage, and the damage is only part of what the maneuvers do for you. Trip to get advantage on all other attacks on a nova round? Give an enemy disadvantage against all my allies while I'm 100 feet away? Negate GWF attack bonus penalty? Don't mind if I do.

Champion's only virtue is its lack of requirement to learn anything to play it. If you can deal with the somewhat complex nature of BM then it is always better.
>>
File: druidmancer.jpg (63KB, 564x916px) Image search: [Google]
druidmancer.jpg
63KB, 564x916px
NEW THREAD
>>50797054

>>50797054
>>50797054
>>50797054
>>50797054

>>50797054
>>
File: Despair and Despair.png (33KB, 201x160px) Image search: [Google]
Despair and Despair.png
33KB, 201x160px
>>50797030
It's horrible and I wish the campaign would end already so we can let someone else have a turn

;_;
>>
>>50793221
Just checked this link out, this is terrific. Absolutely useful. I assume development is ongoing, so will it be possible in the future to search for spells with the (Ritual) tag?
>>
>>50793473
Maths You lose 1 damage and gain 2 when flurrying, but only 1 normally. It'd make them even better at 3 when they are already really good, but moon druid overshadows it and it's not like level 3 lasts very long. Once you hit 5 if the scaling works the same you would get 3-4d8 while normally you'd have 2d8+1-2d6 so you gain 1 damage more than before.

I don't see any problem with it, it's similar to Dungeon World but monks already have part of it anyway, i.e. whatever weapon they use, they make it work.
>>
Can monks grapple or shove with their bonus action unarmed strike/s?
>>
>>50797029

>monk.jpg
>clearly wearing armor

try again
>>
>>50792986
Frostbite is nice, damage with an upside, I'd take it over produce flame.

I've already got a hard on for Create Bonfire. Dex save or take xd8 Fire damage puts it on par to most attacking cantrips, but if they don't get off the fire, they take it again, next turn you can move it or just let it burn and use a different cantrip, in tight quarters the "No-go" zone can help a lot, especially if you have multiple casters dropping it. Our current campign, my druid is using it, the Warlock is using it, and our Eldrich Knight is using it then attacking once.

Our biggest hard on is Baby wall of fire, throwing three pillars of flame 10ft infront of our polearm-master sentinel, if they try to charge, they get a spear to the face, fire to the face, and then are stuck in the fire for more fire.
>>
>>50795838
Our GM uses a critical injury table, roll on it when you get 0hp'd or critical hit.

Results can include saving throw vs instant death, crippling dismemberment and wounded limps. We've got a Barbarian with a peg-leg who can't take the dash action, a Fighter with a grizzled scarred face that gives him disadvantage on charisma checks against high society bookish folk who might be disturbed by it, but also a heroic scar that gives advantage to any charisma checks to anyone who might be impressed by a scar from a dragon.

Some effects are minor, a pulled muscle that gives disadvantage until your next short rest, a bleeding wound that deals 1d4hp until bandaged or healing magic is applied. The most dangerous fight I got in was my Druid wildshaped into a rat and snuck into a crack to a dungeon room alone. No problem because if I get out of my depth I've got my full attunement of spells and can conjure animals for back up, plus I'm at full health and can heal myself or use magic to bail myself out.

I got a critical hit from a wolf immediately as I tried to dash past it, the wound? Gashed throat. Suffer the bloodloss from before magic healing or bandages applied, no talking until 3 days of rest or 3rd level healing magic. Yowch, that sucks no big deal though, I then looked at my spell list and realised that only two of my prepared spells were able to be used without a verbal component, and they were both non-combat utility ones.

Works pretty well, if we are low we back off and use the dodge action in fear of the risk of immediate death or crippling wounds that may as well retire the character over. If you're a Sword n Board or GWFighter who just lost an arm, you either find a druid who can cast regenerate for the steep cost, or you hang up your cloak.
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.