[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning on running a Cyberpunk 2020 game in the real

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: received_10211168321952763.jpg (191KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
received_10211168321952763.jpg
191KB, 2000x1125px
I'm planning on running a Cyberpunk 2020 game in the real near future, and I've been running tests and figuring out the system with friends. We've hit a bit of a sticking point in combat.

Pistols seem stupidly underpowered. While that is slightly realistic and sort of makes sense, the particular reasons they are seem wrong. It basically comes down to their ROF. While two rounds isn't bad for their damage in the incredibly lethal system, the way the ROF is described in terms of actions seems like we're reading it wrong or they're basically a worthless item.

In the book, it says you can attack up to ROF in one turn. Sounds fine, right? Except the ROF on some guns exceeds their fucking loading, so you can theoretically attack someone 35 fucking times in one turn. On top of that, the way the armor works is kind of top-loaded with excessive damage mitigation, which also really gimps the pistols.

There's ways around it, and it mostly relies on DM discretion, but I'd like someone with some experience to describe how they ran it or how it's supposed to work, because it seems like we're maybe reading it wrong. On top of that, I had and found a couple old resources that mention that there have been systems and fixes for this sort of thing, but most of those old sites that actually had them seem to have gone down.

tl;dr: Trying to run Cyberpunk 2020, need some advice or homebrew fixes for balancing pistols and armor, and the different combat rolls between a basic attack, burst fire, and full-auto.
>>
Remember that damage is maxed out at point blank range and doubled for headshots. A rinky dink 2d6 pistol does 24 damage if you shoot someone in the back of the head with it. Also remember that armor degrades and does not stack linearly. Those parts of the combat system exist for a reason.
But yeah, pistols are not the weapons you use for heavy duty combat, and full auto wrecks people if you hit with it. Just how it is.
>>
>>50782032
Also keep in mind that 8 damage destroys a limb, or at least renders it a useless hunk of meat, and that includes the head.
>>
Oh, you also have to keep in mind legality and police response. Nobody bats an eye at someone wearing light/concealed armor and carrying a pistol. Maxtac gets a call when someone strolls in wearing MetalGear and carrying an assault rifle. In the Combat Zone, it doesn't really matter. Anywhere civilized, you have to watch your appearance and can't just haul around the big guns.
>>
>>50782032
>>50782055
That's fair, but that's mostly all stuff I knew. Somehow missed the whole "point blank maxes damage" though, that's kind of important.

We've been using the limb thing to great effect. The problem with the armor is that pretty common stuff goes up to 20, though like I said, I can mitigate that at my discretion. It's also a bit annoying to keep track of armor degradation, but I've figured it's simple enough to at least give some edge. The real problem is that I still want to make some serious "fuck you" high-caliber pistols or use that concept at all, and that doesn't seem like it's very effectve.

As to full auto, that's fine it wrecks people. However, am I right, you can just dump a full 30 into someone in one turn? That seems stupid excessive. Especially since there's bonuses on burst and systems to see how many hit. I feel like I'm reading it wrong.
>>
>>50782113
Yes, but if you dump a full 30, then you're down to 5 (Or maybe 0) and have to reload. Magdumping into someone will almost certainly kill them, but it leaves you vulnerable yourself.
>>
>>50782127
That's fair. Was I missing something, or is it really a dice pool nightmare of "roll 30 d10"?
>>
>>50782155
It really is a dicepool nightmare.
I suggest rolling all the hit locations first and then rolling headshots first. No need to roll 8 left leg shots in a row if there's three headshots in the pool.
>>
Also, if armor is really a problem, use armor piercing ammo. What it does is you halve their armor, roll damage, and then whatever gets through is halved.
So that 20 armor is now 10 for the purposes of being penetrated and degrading. Sure, the damage is halved after that, but it doesn't take much damage to down someone.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.