[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm getting that itch. I've been out of 40,000 for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: bloodletters.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
bloodletters.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
I'm getting that itch. I've been out of 40,000 for a few years now but with the failure of Warmachine Mk3, lately I've been feeling the urge.

If nothing else, I'm in the mood to paint something 40k anyways.

Are there any alternative game systems for 40k models whereby Space Marines don't feel like glorified wound-markers? I'd kill for some sort of sci-fi generic tabletop system whereby I could use 40k models to play something a bit more RPGy

Any suggestions?
>>
>>50780495
Warpath. Newest edition is on the way, with the first wave of releases going out. Shit plays beautifully with both a 40k scale format as well as an Apocalypse scale format, along with a Necromunda/Kill Team game made by the same company.
>>
File: 300px-Basilisk.png (163KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Basilisk.png
163KB, 300x300px
>>50780495
Well, Killteam is a better 40k format , arguably. Specifically fan-made Heralds of Ruin Killteam.

It is a smaller (250 pts compared to usual 1500) 40k format that runs on custom, fan-made codexes that cut away a lot of cheese from the game. Most units are individual models. It has pretty much every major faction from 40k that you can think of (yes, arbites, feral orks, rogue traders - you name it and its probably there). Also it handles difficult terrain more realistically (for example your model does not get cover save just by standing on the base of the ruin, it has to actually stand behind cover).

KillTeam games are faster and require way less models(and thus less $$$ to get into 40k and more opportunities for "your dudes" modeling). Also you can play campaigns, where you get to buy upgrades for your army, build a base, resupply squads and level up veterans. I've yet to try a campaign, but I've heard that it is the juiciest part of KT HoR.

If you want straight out skirmish system, then I've heard that malifaux is better, but if you want 40k skirmish system with a bit of RPG elements - try KT HoR. I recommend you joining facebook groups of KT and your faction to get latest codexes and get in touch with fanbase.
>>
>>50782883

My question is, does this really change the basic 40k system of 'hit you on a 3+, then wound you on a 4+, then you save on a 3+" with marines being glorified wound markers?
>>
>>50785910
>glorified wound markers
You keep saying this, what does it mean?
>>
>>50786928
He probably means that despite being a more elite army, most of them are just there to die, ie eat wounds. This is not the case in kill team.
>>
>>50786928

I'll elaborate. Many games have systems in place whereby a model is not immediately out-of-play when struck. Something like Warmachine/Hordes, Guild Ball, and so forth. However GW Systems always have a flat, static Wounds characteristic with little variance for severity of wound/so forth.

Space Marines are just glorified wound markers that let you roll two 3+ hit, 4+ wound, 3+ save-against shots

I'd like a system that more accurately articulates the nature of the models, and provides more weight to their abilities.
>>
>>50787651
I've found that AoS fixes a good chunk of that problem by simply having their marine equivalents have 2 wounds
>>
>>50789621

Do you think a taken-out system like Mordheim could work in 40k?

As in when a model loses its last wound, on a 1-2 its Stunned, 3-4 Knockdown, 5-6 dead?

With some sort of penalty for the above conditions, and certain weapons being able to improve the roll to send someone off i.e. power weapons/plasma
>>
>>50791070
Kill Team:Heralds of Ruin
>>
>>50787651
It's more like... what's the functional difference between a squad of 10 bolter marines, vs one guy with 10 bolter attacks, and 10 wounds?

Their presence on the board physically in terms of rules interactions are fairly minimal, as compared to many games where each piece's position is very important.

You could easily play a 'canonical' marine army that's nearly functionally no different in 40k consisting of 6 tactical marines (10 bolter attacks each, plus a heavy weapon if he stands still, 10 wounds, etc), 2 devastator marines, and so-on.
>>
>>50792895
This makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>50792895
That actually sounds better than 40K. Less to paint, less stupid line of sight issues, less range issues. Just less stupid overall. God I miss epic.
>>
>>50791070
You mean Necromunda?
>>
>>50792895
That's because it's a battle scale game. Skirmish scale games are what you want.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.