[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/ So my friends and I have always wanted to try a tabletop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Hey /tg/
So my friends and I have always wanted to try a tabletop D&D style game. We've never really had any experience in this. We all really like WH40k lore and books, though we haven't played the tabletop game. So when I found out there were RPGs set in Warhammer 40k, I figured I'd check them out. I did a bit of research, read about the things like dark heresy, deathwatch, and such. I was wondering in your guy's opinion, which one would be the best for new players to start with?
>>
>>50776435
They're all good games, but it depends on what you want. They all do more or less different things. Ultimately I would say the best generic entry point is probably Dark Heresy 2nd Ed. Another good one is Only War if you want to be soldiers. Only War is much more high fatality however.
>>
>>50776435
Dnd 5 is easy to get into, my friends and I have fun with it.

The 40k rpgs sound fun on paper but trying to actually use thier rules leads to very slow combats (high armour/toughness syndrome). You have to be really on top of the ball to run 40k rpgs smoothly.
>>
>>50777069
Same poster here just clarifying something, I just thought I would plug 5e as a starting point if you struggled with the 40k rpgs. The 40k rpgs can be pretty fun, but its a lot to take in initially.
>>
File: _bB18646.jpg (397KB, 925x1214px) Image search: [Google]
_bB18646.jpg
397KB, 925x1214px
>>50776435
Dark Heresy 2e is the best place to start, it's rules are the most streamlined and flexible. However, DH 1e's fluff and pre-written adventures are better IMO, but they can be converted to 2e with little difficulty.

You can download any of the 40k RPGs you want to try out here: https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
>>
>>50776435
If you're going to go with a 40k game you're probably going to want to base your choice on what sort of game you want to play as opposed to system mechanics. (They're all moderately obtuse compared to say, DnD 5 or Pathfinder, but I wouldn't call any of them downright unfriendly)

>Dark Heresy (2e) is for if you want to be all Inquisitorial cult-findey, and have significant amounts of lore interaction.
>Only War is great for running around as a bunch of guardsmen, either getting murdered in trenches or being the A-Team depending on your DM.
>Rogue Trader is for those who want to fuck around and enjoy being a super-rich space pirate/whatever-you-feel-like-today, much more light-hearted and open to Xenos characters than any of the other systems.
>Deathwatch is the game where you murder everything as a Space Marine.
Black Crusade is for if you all hate eachother.

Of these, DH2E is slightly easier to play than any other 40k system, but honestly, if you're going to be playing a 40k trpg, you're doing it because you're more interested in the setting than the system, otherwise you'd be play DnD 5e or Pathfinder.
>>
>>50777069
Good to see idiots that still play D&D continue to have shit taste and no clue as to what they're talking about.

>>50776435
I'd recommend trying out Only War. As long as you don't mind being in the Imperial Guard it's one of the best 40k rpgs. There's also Rogue Trader if you want to fly around the galaxy as nobles with a license that excuses you from heresy.
>>
>>50777392
I agree the 40kRPGs are super simple, if high mortality. I don't know why people have issues with it
>>
>>50776435
mega:///#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
give them a read, see what you like.
dark heresy's fun I'd go with 2nd edition
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.