[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gurpsgen/ GURPS General: I don't know what I am doing edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 43

File: -tg-GURPS OP.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
-tg-GURPS OP.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Here's the general pdf, I guess.

Question for the thread. Which kind of party would you transport to Yrth via Banestorm.

Bonus question: How many US Marines does it take to kill all Orcs in the Banestorm setting?
>>
>>50764272
>all Orcs in the Banestorm setting?

All of them? Like full scale Genocide? Lots.
>>
File: 06.jpg (290KB, 1598x2400px) Image search: [Google]
06.jpg
290KB, 1598x2400px
>>50764272
Maybe 10th century crusaders or 14th century mercenaries.

>How many marines?

A division could do it. 10,000 or so.
>>
File: 1478296351854.jpg (129KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478296351854.jpg
129KB, 768x768px
Last week's post. I was slow getting it up and missed the last thread.

>Stargate 1888
>Chapter 4

>New friends, an escape from darkness, and a regretful lack of formaldehyde.

Exploration of the chamber and documenting what was there occupied the next several moments, with the Colonel requesting the repulsive parasite on the dead man's chest be removed. Cosette removed it and stored it in an emptied ammunition case with ether as a preservative and if needed, poison to kill it.

With the room searched we went across the hall and found an identical one, with another coffin like the last. Preparations were made to take a combative person alive before opening this one but inside the case we found the man already still and dead. This is why there was such surprise when he woke up anyway and attacked.

Able work by Ashton Carter killed the dead man extra dead with a shot though the eye of his jackle-headed armor, allowing the team to strip him bare and see the strange crystals growing though his flesh. Tobias Fletcher, meanwhile, took some time to enjoy examing a magic-seeming brazier that produced light like fire without heat. His examinations revealed a crystal that seemed to power it, he removed and pocketed it.

The next attempt was to leave by repeating what they did to come down, fitting the Assistant into a matching depression on the stone throne flanked by lions. This did not release them, and in fact instead made a wall vanish and reveal a new, grand chamber with a massive sarcopgous.
>>
>>50764831
After careful deployment the group opened the last sarcopgous to reveal a cubical creature seemingly conjured from dust that rushed from the casket. Hovering in the air, it spoke in a booming voice and demanded we explain what we were and why we were there while making cryptic, complicated comments that suggest it had slept a long time. It told us it's name was Loki, and drove us from the pyramid before seeming to vanish.

The group deiced to return to the gate, having seen things that the command in Londimum must be informed of. Returning to the scene where the savage mad had died they found.. three identical men, armed with blades and roaring a challenge at them.
>>
>>50764535
Enough to finish the Dark Elves job.
>>
Does anyone have that gurps 4e vehicles homebrew?
>>
>>50764272
How much DR does a Tank Track have? or how much should it have?
>>
I am thinking of running a combat heavy, Doom inspired scifi game but I am having trouble picking a TL and a story hook, I came up with a couple, but don't know which one would be best.

TL10^: Go to Charon (Pluto's Moon) to prospect and catalogue the moon's mineral composition and you find a huge mineral deposit of zuzium which is used to create perfect conductors which operate without the need of near absolute zero temperatures and very valuable, then something edgy happens

TL 11^: Go as a research ship of Tazhato Inc, when the AI detects synthetic compounds in a planet yet no organic lifeforms meaning perhaps a lost civilization, abandoned pirate stashes or something edgier

TL12^ A science ship testing ananchored/gateless FTL ( FTL in my settings would use gates) out in deep space (10 LY's away from galaxy bounds and any real mass) when something edgy happens
>>
File: 1-1920 x 1200.jpg (892KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1-1920 x 1200.jpg
892KB, 1920x1200px
>>50767341

>TL10^: Go to Charon (Pluto's Moon) to prospect and catalog the moon's mineral composition

I like the idea of this one. Desperately improvising weapons from mining gear.
>>
>>50766930
I think its 50% from worse body DR so modern tank like T-72 has 82.
>>
>>50767429
Not the original anon, but I love the idea too. I'd avoid shamelessly stealing from Dead Space unless I'm explicitly running GURPS Dead Space, though. Which implies coming up with new innocent mining tools turned weapons of gruesome violence, new baddies, a different plot, and maybe a different genre altogether. I love dead space, but the one thing it fails to deliver is that the character is completely unsuitable for his context, I think GURPS can pick up the slack in this area.
>>
>>50767662
Yea, Dead Space is more of a light Horror Survival genre and what I'm trying to run is a High CP, constant action, high octane game. I am just wanting to get a neat story hook, and since I am not too used to Ultra tech some pointers on what super science shits too broken
>>
File: 9900411.jpg (46KB, 507x305px) Image search: [Google]
9900411.jpg
46KB, 507x305px
In my campaign, there is going to be a band of royal gunslingers that utilize magic bullets as part of their arsenal. As a result, I want to be certain about how a specific character concept would work. Here is the start of what is hopefully a comprehensive guide on customizing Ritual Path Magic charms for "gun mages". I beseech experts on RPM and GURPS in general to chip in.

--- --- ---

Whether you are simply going through with a plain ritual or utilizing a charm to cast a ranged missile effect, the offensive "External (Indirect) Damage" magic possesses Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1 and Rcl 1 by default. The Innate Attack Skill (or DX default) is used to throw it.

Here is where it all starts to get tricky.

Page 27 says "It is legal to turn a bullet or arrow into a charm; the trigger
is “when shot into a target.” If the shot misses, the charm dissipates
when it hits the ground; otherwise, it goes off once in
contact with the subject! There is rarely a need to include a
range (p. 18) modifier on the spell, as it is considered delivered
via touch."

Let us say that a character skilled at Ritual Path Magic attempts to aid his monster hunting friend armed with a Thompson/Center Contender (an Acc 3 compeition single-shot pistol in GURPS High-Tech) by converting some of his .44 Remington Magnum rounds into 4d burning "External (Indirect) Damage" charms.

1. Do the rounds deal their normal 5d-1pi+ damage in addition to the 4d burning bequeathed by the enchantment?

2. If the enchanter decides to bump up the Range (see Page 18) of the spell itself (4d burning in this case), does that affect how far the mundane projectile itself will fly? What happens if you apply Enhancements such as Cone or Surprise Attack to the spell on the bullet...do they only come into the play once the bullet itself would hit the target, or do they affect the attack the moment the bullet leaves the barrel?
>>
>>50768242

Better yet: is it possible to build a firearm from the ground up that does nothing but shoot "charm bullets" who's sole effect is whatever the gun mage enchanted into them? Think of this as a sort of "arcane shotshell" that is expended once the magic goes off.

Is this a straight up Engineer (Small Arms)/TL roll followed by some sort of Thaumatology roll?

If so, how do you determine statistics such as Acc and 1/2D plus Maximum range? Is it safe to say that the range of any dedicated "charm bullet" spells would also be Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1 and Rcl 1 by default?

Most importantly...would the spell's Acc and the firearm's Acc "stack"?
>>
>>50764272

>Banestorm

I just love how the setting book tries to convince GM's not to 'contaminate' the Banestorm setting with technology.

Even though the thing that separates Banestorm from other settings is that there is a portal to earth.
>>
>>50768879

Pretty sure that literally every other Banestorm campaigns ends up about fighting over the resurgence of gunpowder into society.
>>
File: a_pumpkin_scissors_vol03_02.jpg (18KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
a_pumpkin_scissors_vol03_02.jpg
18KB, 480x270px
>>50768242
1) Yes. The bullet remains a bullet, and potentially lethal, when Charmed. If you want to avoid killing someone you'd have to get rubber rounds and avoid head, spine, vitals, or just aim for the leg with cold loaded .22LR like some kind of asshole that thinks that is a funny way to deliver a Healing charm.

2) The bullet, generally, triggers on impact. If you instead trigger it "when fired" you could enhance the bullet's range and make it guided, but I'd strongly suggest not making it explode at that point: It would go off in the gun, instead of at the target.

Enhancements go off at the bullet's point of impact. If you make your fire Explosive, it explodes there, same with a cone or jet.

>>50768256

You could make a Charm gun, but you'd need to use Range penalties with it because it would be casting spells. Or you could make a weapon intended to shoot harmless projectiles, like a Nerf gun, and use it to fire charmed projectiles.

>>50768879

Am I the only person that likes my fantasy with guns?
>>
>>50768242
>If the enchanter decides to bump up the Range (see Page 18) of the spell itself

It wouldn't do much unless you wanted an AoE charm bullet effect. The spell originates from the charm itself, so contact effects don't need to worry about it.
>>
>>50768879

Yeah, outside of Abydos, the Underground Engineers vs the Ministry of Serendipity is the most interesting plot thread in the book.

Of course, inside of Abydos, I find it hard to believe that the Ministry has any real power - so, given the constant existential threat of Megalan crusaders, all you need to do is show how their undead labour synergizes wonderfully with more modern application.
>>
>>50769849
>undead labour synergizes wonderfully with more modern application.

Plus, easy creation of semi-intelligent robots is something that TL8 would have a hard time upsetting.

Necromancers wouldn't lose much societal power at all when it's their creations staffing the production lines or otherwise substituting for a huge amount of low-skilled work.

In fact, Abyos might find it needs MORE skeletons than its own population can provide...
>>
I like Action!
>>
Does anyone know what the MSRP of the Dungeon Fantasy box and screen will be?
>>
So, I'm trying to build a paladin of sorts who gets increases to his stats and a couple of exotic abilities so long as he follows his Paladin Code. I can see using Pact on the advantages, but using it for attributes themselves feels overly cheap and cheesey. Any thoughts on other ways to handle this?
>>
>>50774602
Attribute improvements are like any other advantage; there's nothing wrong with popping Pact (or any other applicable limitation) on. However, if you *really* don't like that, treat it as an Alternate Form; you transform into your powerful paladin mode (henshin posing optional) and that is what has the Pact limitation.
>>
>>50774602
Sounds perfectly fine to use Pact to me. Some people are rewarded with Power Investiture (which include a Pact-like element). As a warrior, you were instead rewarded with a strong arm and a stout heart, also with a Pact requirement.
>>
How dangerous would a communist Europe + Russia be for the USA? (Post world war 1)
>>
>>50775128
Unified, or simply every major European nation has their worker's parties rise in power and by coupe or election become the major power?

A unified communist Europe, like some grand Soviet empire, would be pretty terrifying. The US would be on the defensive and end up looking to the east for trade partners and allies. Japan and the Republic of China would be strange bedfellows with a United States staggering to recover from the great depression, but might be the best they could do.

An un-unified communist Europe would be a likely powder keg. I'd expect to see the whole thing explode into a brawl, though with different alliances. I defiantly don't think communist Germany would accept anyone else's domination.

>>50773599
About $50 dollars.

>>50775115
That's pretty much how Samson works in the bible.
>>
File: Magic_guns.jpg (194KB, 1167x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Magic_guns.jpg
194KB, 1167x1000px
>>50769380

"You could make a Charm gun, but you'd need to use Range penalties with it because it would be casting spells. Or you could make a weapon intended to shoot harmless projectiles, like a Nerf gun, and use it to fire charmed projectiles. "

Do you have a working stat-based example? Again, I am trying to decide what the base Acc of such a weapon would be (if it would even possess a base Acc in the first place) and if the Acc of the "External (Indirect) Damage"" charm spell stacks with it.

Once I determine those two factors, I can start custom-tailoring the rules for "Gun Magery Only" Ritual Path Magic charms.
>>
File: Type-0_Magic_Gun.png (440KB, 497x666px) Image search: [Google]
Type-0_Magic_Gun.png
440KB, 497x666px
>>50776795

On second thought, the magic gun itself might not possess an Acc or 1/2D stat at all...this should be entirely dependent on the magic charms/shells themselves.

However, I might mess around with the idea of magic guns attuned to a particular element or type of Innate Attack. A fire-aspected magic gun (encrusted with garnets or even rubies!) might bestow a +4 or more on rolls when crafting charm bullets/shells for IT that primarily deal with the element of fire.

One last question: is it possible to create a Linked or Follow-Up damage effect with RPM? Think of the classic H.E.A.T. round that first punches through armor while exploding on the surface of the armor OR a tranquilizer dart loaded up with tranquilizing drug.
>>
File: Zenith_wanzer_01.jpg (106KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
Zenith_wanzer_01.jpg
106KB, 850x850px
Are there any good fourth edition books or sources for mech customization?
I am toying with the idea of a campaign in similar theme to Front Mission 1 and not sure if there is already made assets to run a game like that.
>>
>>50775452
Surely they would be strong, but I doubt they could start an invasion.
>>
>>50777636
There are a bunch of ways to approach mechs in GURPS.

1) Build them as characters. Obviously very customizable, but if mechs are something you can simply buy rather than unique personal gear, you may have trouble pinning down a fair GURP$ cost. Additionally, building a mech with character points means there's no intrinsic balance/limitation to mech designs. For example, traditionally, mecha that are super-armored are also slow as hell because all that armor is heavy, and most systems will reflect this. A mech that buys up DR does not *have* to buy down Basic Speed/Move; balancing things like this is strictly the purview of the GM.

2) Build them using Spaceships. With the Robotic Arms and Robotic Legs supplement, the Spaceship design rules cover mechs well enough, and there's still a lot of customization possible. However, currently Spacehips can only handle vehicles of SM+4 or larger (or SM+3 if you squint at it and pull a few tricks), so mechs that are closer to battlesuits/powered armor is a no-go. It's also not a very granular system; the choices you make are all very large-scale e.g. "do I want a reactor that has three times the output but takes up twice as much space?" instead of the more number-crunchy "do I want a reactor with +15% power output but +9% mass?" Some people really like that aspect of mecha games and will be disappointed with Spaceships more abstract approach.

3) Build them using the rules from 3e's Mecha. This gives the highest level of granularity, a ton of options for customization, has "mech-deisgn logic" built right in AND lists everything in GURP$... but you have to use 3e's vehicle design rules. Thankfully, calculators and automated spreadsheets make the process way faster and *WAY* less painful, but it's still a bit of work, especially if you plan on making, like, a catalog of these things.

3e Mecha should also have a large number of pre-made mechs you can rip off.
>>
So, GURPSfriends, I've got a question.

What is the quickest possible time to reload smoothbore muzzle-loaded gun? I know different equipment changes the time needed in different ways, but I'm not sure what should be counted first - or if they combine, for that matter. For example, paper cartridge cuts the time in half, but that's barely saying anything, when other elements are measured directly in seconds.
>>
>>50777934
Would 3e mecha convert easily to 4e?
>>
A while ago a friendly gurpsanon recommended that the regular Attack maneuver be removed completely to force the use of Defensive Attack or Committed Attack as the basic defaults.

My question to the Illuminati is whether or not this house rule renders the Unbalanced weapon trait less of a disadvantage, since the Committed Attack maneuver entirely precludes that weapon's parry, and Defensive Attack specifically allows and Unbalanced weapon to parry.

>>50778128
Historically speaking, I believe that three rounds a minute was considered excellent. The average was probably closer to two.
>>
>>50778823
I'm more about game mechanics than historical version. I know it's possible to go below 10 seconds with a breech-loader, but I don't know specifics, too. Plus I'm more interested in muzle-loaders
>>
>>50779355
Seems like your answer should be in the book, then.
>>
>>50778128
IIRC, Low-Tech doesn't specify in what order you apply reduction from paper cartridges and fast-draw (ammo). Personally I'd halve the time after all other bonuses were applied.
>>
>>50779446
Did flipped them, LowTech didn't answer my question, you know? Hence I'm asking GURPS General, to get something like this >>50779561 anon suggests

Speaking of which - I'm doing it in exactly reverse order. Hence the question.
>>
>>50778823
Varied by age. Late percussion-cap muskets with steel ramrods and minie-balls could be reloaded in ~12 seconds, and four rounds per minute was considered average.

The Brown Bess and other 18th century muskets could generally manage to be fired twice per minute, with three rounds a minute the sign of a well drilled, well trained veteran.

17th century firearms typically managed one round per minute.
>>
>>50778528
For the most part, yes. Grab the (legitimately free) 3e>4e conversion PDF as the ST changed a lot between additions (your ST 40 mech will be around ST 20 once you convert it), but once you make it and run it through that, you should be golden.
>>
is gurps a good system to get into if you and your friends dont know anything about anything of rol playing and may not be all that keen on something rules heavy?
>>
>>50780534
Not the full system, but if you're looking for something that would require little effort to get into, you should consider GURPS Lite. Here is a copy of it, it is freely available online.
>>
>>50780722
thanks man
>>
>>50780534
GURPS lite is good for certain simple games. If you want to play something more involved once you've got yourself going on lite, Try Dungeon Fantasy. It's BIG HEROS going into BIG DUNGEONS and fighting BIG MONSTERS for BIG LOOT.
>>
>>50780931
>TTRPG means fantasy setting
I fucking hate this attitude.
>>
>>50781290
Well there are always one of the other series if you want something simple and out of the box. After the End for post apoctalyptic deals, Monster Hunters for a crazier version of WoD Hunters, and of course Action for modern day deals where you can be a slick spy or just a bunch of Rambo esque mercenaries.

I agree with that sentiment though, too many people immediately think of D&D and its derivatives when tabletop RPGs are brought up.
>>
>>50781619

Fantasy is the most approachable setting though. If you go more modern, society becomes more capable and the space for heroism sort of shrinks.
>>
>>50781290
DF is the easiest to use if you only have Lite at hands.
>>
>>50784986
I don't know if I agree with that, but I will agree that modern games are harder to run. The players are also more likely to dislike restrictions like "LC 4+ equipment only".
>>
>>50784986
>>50785478
I definitely disagree with the idea that "heroic possibilities shrink with the modern age". Look at the Uncharted games, or any number of action movies from the last decade. Sure, there's "cell phone problem", but there's workarounds, and if everyone at the table is keen to play a modern game then that's just as much a part of the suspension of disbelief as dragons and magic.
>>
>>50784986

The space for heroism doesn't shrink, it just takes more effort to find. Hence why fantasy is more approachable.
>>
>>50784986
>Fantasy is the most approachable setting though
[Citation needed]

No, seriously, prove it, rather than perpetuating a complete nonsense coming from times when the whole hobby was just starting to exist and there was literally nothing else than fantasy games.
Because last time I've checked, the really most accessable settings were:
- modern day campaigns
- followed shortly by historical fiction
For the very reason of not requiring learning anything about the setting. If your entire focus is on accessability, then those wins with literally anything.

Also
>TTRPG means heroism
>In a GURPS thread
Seriously?
>>
>>50786523
>>TTRPG means heroism
>>In a GURPS thread
>Seriously?
You do know that GURPS by default hovers around "realistic-ish action movie", right? Plenty heroism there.
>>
>>50786346

As you move forwards in time, a few troubles for immersion and verisimilitude comes up
>Communications improve
>The state's ability to enforce law and order improves
>The world gets mapped out
>Reasons for risktaking disappear as social security and living conditions improve

Which doesn't mean you can't have heroic modern campaigns. There's plenty of action moves that show how. But the closer you get to modern day, the more structured the campaign also sort of becomes, as PC:s are forced into stuff like government work and/or subterfuge to do adventuring in a believable manner.

That's why fantasy is approachable. You don't need any fancy worldbuilding to make a bunch of adventurers feasible. You don't need to go to great lengths to make your plots "work". There's always adventure around the corner.

And thanks to history class, most people know the basics of how people lived back then. Stuff like magics and not-elves can be explained as the players encounter them in the game.

>>50786523

>[citation needed]

I've made the assumption that fantasy is the most popular genre for TTRPG. The amount of systems that caters to it are probably the largest, and they also have very large fanbases. This would make it appear as if fantasy is the most easily approached from a user and maker perspective.
>>
>>50786810
So you are playing with completely new people to TTRPG and you assume that because lion share of existing material of genre-specific games is fantasy, then the easiest way to introduce them to the hobby will be using fantasy material, even if you aren't exactly locked with ANY setting when using GURPS?

That's some prime leap in logics. I'm not saying I'm not understanding your pattern or reasoning, but they simply don't apply when you are starting with normies with no prior experience. In fact, making them "learn" something about the new world or rules governing it (lore-rules) makes it LESS accessable, especially when you are running a game using generic system.
Generics really work out better with real world and historical fictions when dealing with new players. They already have game rules to learn, overburdening them with lore is the easiest way to scare them off.
>>
>>50786810
Anon, you've just made an argument that, say, Predator is less heroic than, say, Princess Bride, just because one is modern setting and the other is medievalesque fantasy.

And unlike the other anon, I can't see any logic behind your statement, it's just a bunch of bullshit you say, because you think it's that way, rather than stating facts.
>>
>>50786942
>you've just made an argument that, say, Predator is less heroic than, say, Princess Bride

>>50786810
>Which doesn't mean you can't have heroic modern campaigns. There's plenty of action moves that show how.

???
>>
>>50786990
>But the closer you get to modern day, the more structured the campaign also sort of becomes, as PC:s are forced into stuff like government work and/or subterfuge to do adventuring in a believable manner.
>are forced into stuff like government work and/or subterfuge to do adventuring in a believable manner.
>forced

That means the anon is a lazy fuck who can't create a half-decent scenario, but rather than admitting his inequalities, pushes the entire weight of it on the players, who are merely actors in a story he created.
In short, fantasy medieval settings are easier to handle for half-witted GMs rather than more accessable to players, because they require less effort, less structure and can be 100% improvised without sounding silly.

Which means the anon should go and watch some action flicks from the 80s and just about any buddy cop movie. Not to mention buddy movies in general, dramas, horros and other shit around.
Because issues with "fantasy is easier" usually boil down to "I'm so underexposed to cinematography it's not even funny".

And I suggest films for the simple reason that you can watch 3 films in a time required to finish single book.
>>
>>50787033
Not exactly to agree, but one thing is sure - good GM is a person well-versed in fiction, be it literature, films or even animu. Because the job of a GM is to structure a scenario, set up different pieces and think ahead of player and baiting them into specific actions.
And it gets much easier when you have a lot of references, rather than trying to figure out things on your own.
>>
>>50708657
>>50708959

My question is - how? Sounds like a good idea, but I don't exactly see how this can be pulled with rules. Then again, I only know the basic magic system.
>>
>>50788300
Powers has Leech, which has a modifier for stealing youth. As for the resistance/immunity, no clue.
>>
>>50788300
Leech with enhancements can steal hp and age, maybe even attributes, I don't remember. For powers that cost age, perhaps short lifespan or terminally ill with mitigator as temporary disadvantage limitation. Maybe something with Draining or whatever it's called.
>>
>>50786929

>They already have game rules to learn, overburdening them with lore is the easiest way to scare them off.

I disagree with this. You don't need (and probably shouldn't) hand your players a 30~page document of lore for your setting. Just let them make a bunch of farmboys or whatever if they are new.

The lore is something that's there to be experienced as they play. It's not supposed to be homework. As such, the "relative" complexity of lore doesn't matter.

Finally I'd argue that modern setting also tend to have more complex lore. Fantasy settings are easily painted white and black, with simple outlines of who is good and who is bad. Modern settings tend to be a bit more complex (instead of a king you got a company owner; instead of a war between knights of two kingdoms you got a middle eastern conflict; instead of wilderness you got laws and regulations)
>>
>>50787033
>That means the anon is a lazy fuck who can't create a half-decent scenario, but rather than admitting his inequalities, pushes the entire weight of it on the players, who are merely actors in a story he created.
>In short, fantasy medieval settings are easier to handle for half-witted GMs rather than more accessable to players, because they require less effort, less structure and can be 100% improvised without sounding silly.

Original anon here. That's exactly it. Remember that I'd argued from the perspective that fantasy settings are more approachable right?
>>
>>50788891
Approachable to WHOM. That's my point. They aren't easier for players.
>>
>>50788300
This anon >>50788434 is right, but I have no idea how to add building-in resistance for it.
>>
>>50788924

I don't know if this "to whom" question is very central. If the setting is more approachable to a GM he'll also have an easier time making it approachable to his players.

I also think it seems like people in this thread are underestimating how complex our current day societies actually are.
>>
I'm surprised no one has brought up setting austerity yet. What people are pinning on fantasy vs modern is actually low-austerity vs high-austerity, it's just that most people assume all fantasy is low austerity and modern games are high austerity.

It is totally possible to run a high-austerity fantasy game. Rulers don't necessarily let heavily armed wanderers just do whatever, even in settings with magic and dragons. It's not a stretch to have players land in hot water for killing off bandits and the like -- at the very least, they're proving themselves to be dangerous and are making the ruler's guards and soldiers seem unnecessary.

It is also totally possible to run a low-austerity modern game. Despite everyone's assumptions, this is actually quite common; Diehard, for example, is set in a low-austerity modern setting as John McClane, and off-duty policeman, takes down a building of both American citizens and foreign nationals and doesn't spend the next decade tied up in legal proceedings and/or explaining why he started an international incident because everyone he killed were Bad Guys. Similarly, forensics and in-depth investigations just don't happen if the plot calls for it (either to set up a Bad Guy or because the PCs were the ones doing the illegal stuff).

Things are only as tied up as you want them to be.
>>
>>50789436

This is a good point, but I've never heard it given a name before. Why "austerity"? That word seems like it has no relation to what you're describing.
>>
>>50789484
First brought up in GURPS: Horror IIRC. It's called "austerity," I'm assuming, because it describes the sternness of the setting, or how realistic and far-reaching the consequences of one's actions are. It's the counterpart to verisimilitude.
>>
>>50780534
It's the first and only system me and my friends (all TTRPG virgins) have used. We started with Lite and then gradually incorporated aspects from Basic and other supplements. I would say that it works fantastic. Lite is really easy to get a hold of and is still fun to play. Try it out and see for yourselves. If it doesn't suit your group you can always choose another system without having wasted any time.
>>
>>50789436

This is completely true.

My problem is usually though that player perception will sort of color their expectations and make them do certain stuff.

In modern campaigns, your players will get obsessed with covering their tracks, not getting caught on cam, etc. Which is fine if that's what you want. I mean, it's half the fun if you do a cyberpunk game in my opinion.

If you want a simple and straightforwards game where the players get to try out the mechanics, this sort of stuff might get distracting though, and in that case fantasy becomes easier, because nobody will care if the players kill outlaws/barbarians/monsters, and the players will understand this more intuitively.
>>
How many points would you need to create John Wick?
>>
>>50792263
200-250, with another 25 or so in disadvantages. But anything more than 250+25 is literally overdoing it.

After all, he's good at very, very narrow speciality
>>
>>50792472
yeah a very narrow specialty that has very broad applications.
>>
I've been running mostly GURPS for 7 years now, but I fucking wish I got to use all the modern and sci-fi stuff.

>Pitch a cyberpunk setting to my group
>Two players love it
>Others just hold off on making a character in the hopes we'll ditch it and just run fantasy

Every time.
>>
>>50793919
Unless they play with someone else as DM, I don't see the issue, tell them that these two thought it'd be interesting and to try it or find somebody else that dm's as well as you do.
>>
>>50793010
Still doesn't make him worth more than 275 points.
>>
>>50793919
Give them pre-made characters instead.
It's that simple. I usually run one-shots this way. Just giving players a pool of premade characters. They don't need to work on them, I know what characters are in the pool and the one-shots are tailored for that.
>>
>>50794786
I never said it did.
>>
File: 1461788160542.jpg (269KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1461788160542.jpg
269KB, 600x800px
>>50793010
>killing people
>very broad applications
>>
>>50794812
I have tried this, but it doesn't work on my players. The less enthusiastic players never tell me they aren't interested, even if I made premades they'd still delay and stall until I run fantasy.

Maybe it's the lethality that gets them -- but the enthusiastic guys are all about the tacticool and don't like decreased lethality.
>>
>>50795123
How many people are in your group?
Maybe it's time to thin down the crowd? Or get flesh blood?
>>
>>50795123
Time for another group!
>>
Any good hints for a a post nuclear wasteland game?
>>
>>50797846
What sort?
>>
>>50795014
yes, killing people has broad applications, politically, criminally, and militarily, murder has very broad applications. Huh, I'm pretty sure you didn't think before you spoke.
>>
>>50798129
I am aiming for a cross between Stalker and Fallout games.
>>
>>50798256
After the End is a good read for any post-apoc game.

I'm guess a cross between S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Fallout would be massive wastelands filled with weird anomalies, monsters, bandits, and loot, with a focus on survival and generally gritty tone; tech would fluctuate a lot. Any of the -Tech books could be useful (though genericness is your friend, making High-Tech less useful), plus maybe Tactical Shooting if you want to go full cheeki breeki operator. Tactical Shooting hinges on the players already being familiar with the core system of GURPS as it does add a lot of detail, so if this is everyone's first game, stick to Basic Set, AtE, and bits and pieces of Ultra-Tech gear scattered throughout the wasteland/in the hands of enemy factions.
>>
>>50799635
that certainly sounds fun.
>>
File: DH.png (411KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DH.png
411KB, 640x480px
The Holy / Dark Holy spell from Final Fantasy Tactics. If you're familiar. How would you model it.
>>
>>50801939

What does it do?
>>
>>50801954
Single target high damage magical attack with holy element. Tracks the target no matter where they go, spell hits no matter what.
>>
>>50801963
Innate attack with your choice of wounding modifier, cosmics for no roll required and no active defense allowed. Buy up the damage to something like 6d, and you're golden.
>>
>>50801963

Well, damage is damage. GURPS powers discusses morally aligned and elemental aligned powers if you want to read up on that.

Tracking a target sounds like homing. Never missing though would be a cosmic effect. See GURPS Power-ups 4. For instance "No die roll required" or "no active defense allowed" might work.
>>
>>50796793
Everyone else I know buys into all the GURPS memes and/or just prefers 3.5 because system mastery or something. These are the only people I know who do play GURPS, I just wish they didn't have such a boner for fantasy.
>>
>>50802222

There's nothing wrong about catering to to your player's preferences.

With that said, have you thought about a more fantastic sci-fi? More Star Wars than Ghost in the Shell? Your players might be on-board with that if they get to play as magical space elves exploring the lost catacombs of the vulcans.

This sort of thing could ease your players into sci-fi.
>>
>>50802257
Sure thing, but I require some inspiration. I can't pull generic fantasy from my hat, because it doesn't excite me.

Science fantasy isn't a bad idea, I think my players might be down with it. Something along the lines of Jorune/Conan where much of the magic is McGuffins. Although I have to take the all-elf approach off the table because one guy won't play elves (or blacks).
>>
Are there special rules for twin-linked guns? Or are they treated just like a gun with higher RoF?
>>
>>50802615
>one guy won't play elves (or blacks).
but why?
>>
>>50802702

/pol/acks gonna /pol/ack. My resident furry is the same way. Always citing that elves are too "cliche" while insisting that I add /fur/ to the campaign for "creativity's" sake.
>>
>>50802702
Beats me. He always makes the same kind of waifu character, although the build usually changes. Yes, GURPS is the best system for making the perfect waifu char, but that's not the whole point.
>>
File: 1438592424046.jpg (69KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
1438592424046.jpg
69KB, 500x707px
>>50802615

I recently had the grand idea of mixing chinese mysticism with sci-fi, a bit like how Outlaw Star did it. Unfortunately I'm currently busy with another campaign, but here was my idea for an original sci-fantasy

>So it turns out that all the qi gong voodoo hoodoo actually works:
https://youtu.be/CPl8JNxSYIY

>Furthermore, advances in human genengineering has allowed us to more efficiently harness this energy, creating literal superhumans with wuxia powers based on qi gong technologies

>also it was the chinese who won the space race and started colonizing outer space. As a result of qi gong technology gaining popularity, there's also a renaissance for ancient chinese aesthetics and philosophy

>aliens are optional I guess. I'd personally just replace humanity with a ton of metahumans (liek Felicia!). Maybe create one new solar system that's been colonized by space china and where ruins of a lost ancient space civilization can be found. Maybe add some spice inspired by scientology/other space spiritualism crackpot theory as background material for funzies
https://youtu.be/YOdF_3RIXJ4

>The players are augmented xia that walk the righteous path/works for space triads. They go on adventures.
>>
>>50802690

Pretty sure it just leads to an increase in RoF
>>
>>50802914
Hmm, might play. I do the "aliens are actually metahumans" thing in everything scifi ever anyway.
>>
>>50802914
>ancient chinese aesthetics and philosophy
Including stuff like the Mandate of Heaven and the strict societal hierarchy and the ancestor worship?

I've been wanting to do an Ancient China inspired setting myself, albeit fantasy, but I've never done it because some aspects of that culture stray way too close to several magical realms (some of them mine).
>>
>>50803205

>including...

To taste. To yes, I'd say the societal structures and mandate of heaven are key to really "get" the chinese influence. I personally especially enjoy their old castes and how they can be used when fluffing out triads and rich corporates.
>>
>>50803205
>Ancient China
>Magical realm
Care to elaborate?

t. sinologist
>>
File: 1438788440647.png (35KB, 348x348px) Image search: [Google]
1438788440647.png
35KB, 348x348px
>>50803205

>some aspects of that culture stray way too close to several magical realms

What
>>
>That moment when you need to bump GURPS general
What's wrong with /tg/ lately?
>>
File: scale.png (105KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
scale.png
105KB, 1200x600px
Should ork boyz from 40k get the box size modifier?

>>50804980
at least 5 residents spent the night helping me with my tokens, so it might have something to do with our gen being slow
>>
Going to run the Death Frost Doom campaign from Lamentations Of The Flame Princess with Gurps, DFD is for lvl 2 characters, is 150 points fine?
>>
>>50805062
Should be. Dungeon Fantasy's 250-point template has been compared to level 4 D&D characters, so 150 should be about level 2. You using the Henchman templates?
>>
>>50805110
I will tell the players about those, but I won't really need npcs.

I might have them take one extra character with the party so that he can be controlled by anyone that gets killed. DFD is pretty deadly.
>>
>>50805305
Sorry, meant are you having the players use the templates from Dungeon Fantasy: Henchmen? They're fantasy-style 125-point templates suitable for low-power dungeon crawling PCs. I find templates extremely useful for both speeding up character creation and ensuring every PC hits that balance between "focused on one specialty" and "not incompetent the rest of the time."
>>
>>50805396
Yeah, I told them about those templates after your suggestion. Thanks.

Considering it is a one shot there is no need to make anything too complex.
>>
>>50805024
It shouldn't even be a question. Of course they get the modifier
>>
>>50804980
I finally have a game coming up, so I'm no longer driven to do constant armchair character design/random worldbuilding
>>
File: Duncan Spear Fighting.png (2MB, 1245x960px) Image search: [Google]
Duncan Spear Fighting.png
2MB, 1245x960px
Could someone give me the complete breakdown of how one FLUIDLY fights with a spear (utilizing thrusts and Tip Slashes) while defending with it as if it were a staff?

I assume both Spear and Staff Skills are required. What's next? All I can think of is the Form Mastery Perk (from GURPS Power-Ups 2: Perks) and possibly the Weapon Adaptation (Spear to Staff) Perk.
>>
>>50811994

Edit: Obviously, one of my goals is to net that juicy +2 to Parry seemingly inherent to the Staff skill while armed with a spear.
>>
>>50811994
Grip Mastery. Attack with Spear, use Grip Mastery to change to Staff after you attack. Done.
>>
>>50812063
Form* not Grip Mastery.
>>
>>50812063

Which Skill(s) does this require? Spear only, or Spear plus Staff?
>>
>>50812213
If you use Form Mastery to change from Staff to Spear to Staff, you use the appropriate skill when rolling, e.g. Spear while attacking and Staff while defending. You don't need Staff to defend with Staff, since Staff defaults to Spear-2. Investing a few points in Staff does mean you'll gain the full +2 benefit of the Staff skill, instead of only an effective +1 (offsetting your worse Staff skill).
>>
>>50811994
Attack with spear, step back, change grip to staff, don't tip slash, it isn't worth. Also buy a balanced spear for the same bonus as a quarterstaff
>>
File: 1482069440118.jpg (342KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1482069440118.jpg
342KB, 1280x1280px
>>50813200
Tip slash is great for scarring people without killing them. A rapier tip slash to the face can end a duel with honor but without a corpse to deal with.
>>
>>50814860

It is also used to get around various forms of Injury Tolerance.
>>
>>50813200

A "Balanced" spear seems kind of cheesy. Is it technically rules-legal?
>>
>>50815891
Yes, it is, its just a double tiped spear.
>>
>>50816053
>>50815891
you loose half of its range(min -1, it can get to reach C too) if used with staff skill on a middle grip, i will take a look at martial arts after i finish painting
>>
>>50816053

The reason I mention this is because Martial Arts says "Sticks – batons, clubs, quarterstaffs, wooden stakes, etc. – and improvised weapons can’t have fine balance."

A Quarterstaff and Spear both weigh 4 lbs and possess the same reach (if you wield a spear with two hands - same as a quarterstaff - it has Reach 1, 2).

Why, then, can you not have a Balanced Quarterstaff yet CAN have a Balanced Spear?
>>
>>50817597
You can have a balanced quarterstaff. It's in one of the newer DF Pyramids. Something like +1600%.
>>
>>50817597
A querstaff is already balanced, if has a bonus to parry, you can also have a balanced tick as per DF for +somethinghuge%. And that grip might be a back grip which makes your reach one step lower.
>>
>>50817700

Well, the thing about that is...Dungeon Fantasy isn't particularly realistic.
>>
>>50818017
You got an answer. The other reason is that paying $50 for +1 to weapon skill is a crock. Don't know what else you want.
>>
>>50817597
>Why, then, can you not have a Balanced Quarterstaff yet CAN have a Balanced Spear?
My theory is that it's because a quarterstaff is homogeneous, it's weight is already evenly distributed across it's length and one wouldn't be able to balance it further. As a weapon, it relies on it's symmetry and I can't imagine any symmetrical modifications that wouldn't disqualify it as a 'quarterstaff'.

In constrast, spears do not have their weight distributed evenly and therefore can be balanced further. Counterweights on the blunt end, for example.

But this is all from a complete layman on actual weapon manufacturing, I just think it makes sense. The fact that it's also balanced in the game system is a plus.
>>
>>50818513
A quarterstaff weighs 4 pounds in GURPS, for a 6-7' staff. Unless it's made of alien/exotic material that means it's not just wood, but also has steel reinforcement caps or something similar.
>>
>>50764272
Hello /Gurpsgen/, I decided to take the plunge the other day and have started to read up on the Gurpslite rules for 4e, but I'm curious if other editions are played more, or are considered to be just as popular as the latest edition?

Usually my group moves between DnD 3.5, 5e, and Pathfinder a lot, and I'm curious if groups do the same with the various editions of Gurps, and if so, is there one that's predominantly used over the others?
>>
>>50820246
Every newer edition of GURPS is an improvement on the previous. So, you want 4E. That said 3E isn't hard to convert and has a lot of world books that are full of excellent fluff, so you can use them without much issue.

D&D's reinvention of the wheel every half-edition is dumb and mostly just kept to D&D.
>>
>>50820246
No, GURPS 4e is a straight up improvement on 3e, not a complete change like D&D 3.5e to 4e.

GURPS 4e is the best edition.

The only reason I can think of that a group would want to play 3e is if the campaign started before 4e came out and they're just continuing.

New campaigns should start on 4e.
>>
>>50820246
Dude, open the OP image and go to the trove, there's like 9 GB of older GURPS stuff in there that tells me that most think 4e is the best, and use the older stuff via conversion to 4e, but that's just my assumption maybe a less new GURPS player could tell you more.
>>
>>50820246
3e still has quite a few followers. Mainly that's due to foreign language translations.

Unlike many other games GURPS editions are iterative improvements collected rather then completely new versions for the most part. In almost every way 4e takes what the writers and players learned and improved in the system and collects them into a new and streamlined core book. Just like 2e and 3e did.

For that reason you can still use most of the 3e books with the current edition. The crunchier ones will take more work and some of the crunch has been made redundant or been removed but all of the rest is still sound. The crunch books have all been updated to 4e by now and the crunch rules in the other books has been as well so rather than doing the work of converting just find the updated rule in the new version.
>>
>>50820246
GURPS editions are iterative. Newer editions are strictly improved versions of the old ones, rather than ground-up rebuilds of the same system over and over.

That is to say, everyone plays 4th because there is literally no reason to play anything older (except a few people who still use 3e just because they didn't feel like paying for books from a new edition).

That said, books from older editions, 3rd ed in particular, are still very useful when running current-gen 4th edition games. Reasons: not all material has been reprinted in the new edition such as some setting books and things, and very little conversion is required in almost all cases.
>>
>>50820302
>>50820307
>>50820309 < me
>>50820327
>>50820329
Wow unlike some of the other generals this one seems very helpful to people, are you just better people in general?
>>
>>50820350
The GURPS community is very friendly and helpful in general; one of the best there is.

Just an FYI, the SJgames.com forums (GURPS 'home' forums) are a great place to ask advice as well, particularly for mechanical stuff, if you need it.
>>
>>50820350
Fuck you, faggot.

That's a joke. Please forgive me.
>>
>> 50820350
The kind of anons mainly forever gm attracted to GURPS are different from most other communities.
Personally i believe that its all caused by the modular and construtive nature of GURPS. There are no single thruths about most things, and like so people keep talking about how to do X or Y all the fucking time, which leads to a community more open to dialogue with new and old gurpers about anything mechanic related, sourcebooks and/or good ways to achieve the experience you want.

Just never talk about weightlifting over here.
>>
File: 1473116986861.jpg (349KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1473116986861.jpg
349KB, 960x1280px
>>50820427

>Just never talk about weightlifting over here.

This sentence triggers me
>>
>>50820379
You're forgiven.
>>50820374
Well, I'm rather new to tabletop stuff, and i've been surfing /tg/ for a while for ideas and son on and 5e d&d seems easy to get into but the general alternates between shitposts and a few decent ideas, not exactly helpful too often, although from just what I've seen and the skimming I did of the stuff in the trove, GURPS seems more fun but harder to learn.
>>50820427
That does make sense, I've only gotten into this because some members of my family expressed interest in playing 'D&D' and i know for a fucking fact none of them would want to GM.
>>
>>50820462
>GURPS seems more fun but harder to learn
Pretty much. It's not exactly 'one system to rule them all' since none are, but it's as close to it as I've ever played/run (and I've run a LOT). Very, very fun game and unbelievably flexible/mod-friendly.

Also, it can be intimidating going into it at first but it's actually not as difficult to learn as it seems at first blush. It plays very smoothly; moreso than the vast majority of other systems I've run. The "catch" of the extra effort is really just isolated to pre-campaign prep, once you're up and running a game it's like butter.
>>
>>50820462
Speaking as someone relatively new to GURPS, I don't think it's very hard to learn as a player. I found character creation somewhat daunting, but I got some nice help here in /gurpsgen/, and playing the system is for the most part rather easy. The core rolls are all pretty simple.
Now if I could only remember how shotguns work, everything would be fine.

As a GM there's a fair bit more involved though, but I think most of that just lies in constructing what kind of game you want to play, and actually running it doesn't seem that hard aside from the required system mastery.
>>
>>50820515
Yeah, my biggest challenge to playing a ttrpg is mostly finding people to play with, I live in an astonishingly backwards area in PA, USA, i don't think there's even a local gaming store closer than an hour or two away, that and i'm not sure my family actually wants to play one.
>>50820519
No it doesn't seem too hard to learn as a player, but I'd be likely to be a forever GM, and as a storyteller/ worldbuilder I'm not certain I have any skills, but it's worth a shot, right?
>>
File: WaifuGurps.jpg (161KB, 1300x1058px) Image search: [Google]
WaifuGurps.jpg
161KB, 1300x1058px
I'm not sure if i ever posted this here after i made it for a /a/ thread
>>
File: mar0.jpg (283KB, 782x1022px) Image search: [Google]
mar0.jpg
283KB, 782x1022px
>>50820901
>>
File: Asparagus 2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Asparagus 2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50820935
>>
>>50820984
what asparagus loving fool made this?
>>
>>50820984
I like asparagus!
>>
Noob question: Why is DX and IQ more expensive than the rest?
>>
>>50823170
95% of skills run off of one if those two attributes. +1 DX means +1 to nearly every physical skill (and +0.25 to Basic Speed) and +1 IQ means +1 to literally every mental skill (as you also get +1 to Will and Per).
>>
>>50823170
Balancing. Old editions had them at the same price as everything else, while they are literally twice as useful
Hence twice the price
>>
>>50826368
IQ and DX are useful for everyone while HT is sort of tricky and ST has limited use outside of close combat builds.
>>
>>50828322
don't listen to him, buy st12 on everything and be ripped af
>>
>>50828395
ST13.
ST13 gives 2d-1 sw. ST12 only 1d+2.
>>
>>50828800
Too much, thats 30pts, st12 lets you shove 'em real good already, its enough for a non melee combatent, like a modern soldier who needs to carry a lot but doesn't shove 'em real good every fight
>>
So guys, what's the least generic sourcebook for the Generic Universal Role-playing System? I've heard good things about GURPS Illuminati.
>>
>>50829324
Ultra-Tech
>>
>>50829324
Probs GURPS Traveller as its a setting by itself.
>>
>>50829324
3e has a lot of setting's books with limited scopes, but I guess even then, you could find a cool idea or mechanic and use it in any other game. Still, I'll throw GURPS: IOU into the ring.
>>
>>50829406
Traveller is a pre-existing IP though, so it hardly counts. If you count GURPS Traveller you also have to count GURPS WoD, GURPS Conan, GURPS Discworld, and GURPS Girl Genius.
>>
>>50802690
(RoF)x2, I think
>>
>>50829863
>GURPS Girl Genius
Anon, why must you hurt me so?
>>
File: GURPS_Ring-Dream.jpg (465KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS_Ring-Dream.jpg
465KB, 1200x1600px
>>50829324
GURPS Ring Dream
>>
>>50820350

Personally, I think it's that GURPS is inherently much more resistant to power wanking and Real Roleplaying - it's not trying to sell splatbooks to players or enable dumpster diving to one-up the GM, and is always on the side of creating a coherent game world.

It cultivates a positive attitude - we're all here to make things work, and we all know that we aren't using the same rules (they're more like guidelines anyway), and that's okay.

If someone posts a combo here that destroys the universe, it'll get a "huh, neat" - but not the DnD default where it seems like half the posters think they should get to use it because it's official (and therefore mandatory) and the other half think they need to Punish The Filthy Rollplayers.
>>
>>50830024
I need it.
>>
>>50830348
Well, you certainly explained it well. The other generals have a lot of minmaxer type shit going on, and don't seem to realize that not what the games about, and when an oldfa/tg/uy Throws some knowledge down on their asses, all he gets is disrespect I know, this is 4chan, but if you can't show a little respect, why are you any where on here except for /b/ or /pol/?
>>
>>50830792
>oldfa/tg/uy
They're called Graybeards.
>>
>>50831370
Okay, Thanks for the correction.
>>
Why are active defenses not penalized by Shock as all other maneuvers are?
>>
>>50830348
>If someone posts a combo here that destroys the universe, it'll get a "huh, neat" - but not the DnD default where it seems like half the posters think they should get to use it because it's official (and therefore mandatory) and the other half think they need to Punish The Filthy Rollplayers.
I think everybody actually understands that shit like Pun-Pun the kobold would fly at no reasonable DM's table, but still feels the need be all ">no fun allowed" when someone criticizes their clever shenanigans. (For reference, the Pun-Pun build assumes A) that the setting is Forgotten Realms, B) that the DM lets you use a template that's supposed to be NPC-exclusive, C) that demon lord Pazuzu will listen to the puny level 1 kobold who summoned him long enough to make a deal instead of killing the insolent wretch on the spot and going on a rampage, and D) that Manipulate Form works off stats modified by size change and not original, base stats.) In GURPS, that sort of shit is made all the more farfetched by the default assumption that the GM is carefully picking and choosing not only which sourcebooks are featured in his campaign, but which rules in those sourcebooks are used.
>>
File: how to properly load a shotgun.gif (5MB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
how to properly load a shotgun.gif
5MB, 384x288px
>>50830348
this is pretty much it.
i want to add more to this post but i can't think of anything that wouldn't just retread ground there.

have a fast draw (ammo).
>>
>>50831963
Extreme death spiral.
>>
>>50832204
So it's more related to game mechanics than it is to realism?
>>
>>50832214
yeah
you can rule it out if you like but just be aware you'll be making it a hell of a lot harder to dodge after taking any kind of wound than you'd think
most characters are already at a relatively low defense score without soaking a penalty of up to -4 (or in some cases, -8) on top of that
>>
>>50831963
Shock penalizes DX. Every -1 to DX is -0.25 to Dodge.
>>
>>50832214
No clue. I just know that the first strike goes from high priority to highest priority.

>>50832420
Shock affects DX- and IQ-based
skills, but not active defenses or other
defensive reactions; see Temporary
Attribute Penalties (p. 421).
>>
>>50832214
>>50832204
Trained people that get tagged hard can (sometimes) pull it out by defending themselves effectively.

There's just as many examples of that as someone being unable to keep their hands up after a power punch and getting floored. I tend to think of that Shock second as a moment of desperate defense.
>>
File: Queen Gagix Two-Barb.jpg (400KB, 738x931px) Image search: [Google]
Queen Gagix Two-Barb.jpg
400KB, 738x931px
>>50832387
I was thinking that it might encourage the use of Active Defenses in a cinematic way: "Oh shit, I got hit. Better All Out Defense until the shock penalty goes away." But I can see where it might be overly harsh.

>>50832420
The Shock rules on B419 exclude active defenses entirely -- is Dodge not counted as an active defense?
>>
>>50832496
You are in the right of it, Dodge is an active defense and isn't penalized by temporary penalties to DX or HT.
>>
Hey /gurpsgen/, I am in need of advice once again.

So when I started my current GURPS campaign, which is also my first even GURPS campaign, I really didn't have much idea of what I was doing (still don't). Anyway, I think much about character creating and a couple of my players pumped up their Dodge stat to 15 and 16 (through Enhanced Dodge and the like). Coupled with stuff like Feverish Defense and cloaks, that makes a lot of combat trivial for them.

I don't want to scrap this campaign and start over since we're mostly having fun.

What are some ways to introduce challenge to the combat, without coming off as a dick, against characters with a high Dodge stat?
>>
File: 1402362974232.jpg (356KB, 500x726px) Image search: [Google]
1402362974232.jpg
356KB, 500x726px
>>50832574
3+ foes, even weak foes, per character. This puts you in a siutation where if you make a mistake or forget to have someone watch your back you can end up with one getting a shot at your back. That allows no active defense.

Foes willing to use explosive weapons freely.

Outnumbering, in general, as it uses up their defenses.

High ROF weapons, like shotguns, where they might have to dodge very well to avoid all the projectiles.

And if all else fails: Direct spells and Maledictions can't be dodged at all.
>>
>>50832574
Explosives.

Also a dodge of 16 is fucking bonkers, you generally need to limit it in some way.
>>
>>50832710
Well, seeing how I'm running a low-tech, low-magic campaign with no directly offensive magic, of those options I can only use outnumbering.

Is there anything besides Deceptive Attack a skilled fighter can do to reduce the enemy defenses?
>>
>>50832574
The easy methods are:
Feints. 99% of the times you can't get through a defence, someone's not feinting. With a high enough skill difference, you can get through anything. If you have the enemy train at a few levels of the Feint technique, you don't have to worry about their supreme skill level allowing them to also target their character's smallest ass pimple. Related, Beats.

Outnumber them. With enough bodies, getting surrounded and hit in the back hexes becomes a certainty-, a -2 in the best case scenario, no defence at all at it's worst. Additionally, unless you're using a variant, Dodge is the only defense not penalized by multiple consecutive attacks. Really puts the fear of god into the player's hearts.

Deceptive attacks. While they need good skill levels to not lose consistency, they're still great for taking care of high defenses. If the opposition is literally brainless mooks, going for an AoA (Determined) and trading it all for deceptive attack makes for a great 'fuck you' strategy.

Make the most of the few lucky hits by going for key hit locations, if you cripple a leg, they're gonna have a tough time defending once they're on the floor. Face hits and groin hits are also good, stun and knockdown are powerful effects.

Once your players see these tricks, they'll want to use them too. Let them, I say.
>>
>>50832710
Hurting them helps too. At 1/3rd HP you lose half your Basic Speed and unlike Shock this effects Dodge.
>>
>>50832574
>Dodge stat to 15 and 16 (through Enhanced Dodge and the like)
Did they ignore "Note that bonuses larger than +3 are almost certainly unbalanced, even in “over-the-top” games!" on purpose? You went with "anything goes" as your first game, didn't you? Poor soul.
>>
>>50832943
It seems like mistakes were made fairly early on.

Also ambushes. They literally cannot dodge that what they cannot see.
>>
>>50832943
I didn't got with anything goes, actually. I limited all Enhanced Defences to 3 and attributes to 15 (aside from ST, which is 20 max). Looking back that maybe too much.

15 in HT, 8 in Basic Speed, Enhanced Dodge 3 and Combat Reflexes gives you a Dodge of 15, that's what one character has.

The other character is the same but with 15 in DX and 9.25 in Basic Speed, for a total of 16 Dodge.

They did end up paying a lot for their Dodge stats.

>>50832994
>ambushes
That was my first idea, but it seems kinda cheap, all the PCs are really bad at spotting ambushes, so I'm sure they would complain a lot if they die to one.
>>
>>50833076
You could always try to mention that you dun fucked up and you let them run too wild with their Dodge stats, say it's good for this game but next time you play a game you will go with the regular stat limitation rules for a more lethal expirence.

Truth of the matter is, as long as they're having fun it's fine. Throw a few more enemies at them and ambush them irregularly (just make sure you don't kill anyone if you find ambushes unfair), and as long as there is at least some challenge it will continue to be fun.
>>
>>50833076
You could also try crippling traps to maim their legs or something
>>
File: Goku vs Chichi.png (566KB, 711x536px) Image search: [Google]
Goku vs Chichi.png
566KB, 711x536px
>>50832845
A Dodge of 16 isn't that bad in actual play. I don't know about you blokes, but...I prefer to have my player characters evade most attacks thrown their way.

There are plenty of ways to penalize Dodge if need be, so I figure it is best to let the PCs be awesome and save the tough stuff for those encounters that ought to become highly memorable because of the associated extreme danger.
>>
Do Size Modifier bonuses to hit in apply in melee combat or are those for ranged combat only?
>>
>>50834174
They do. Positive gives a bonus, negative gives a penalty. SM is relative in melee, unlike ranged where it's objective.
>>
>>50834197
Where is that covered? I'm having trouble finding that rule.
>>
>>50834212
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html
3.4.2.23 How do I apply Size Modifiers in melee combat? Is a large SM anything other but trouble?
>>
>>50834250
Thanks, that helps a lot.
>>
>>50833076
Make them fight people with the 145-190 points they put into "Dodge Stuff" instead invested in "fuck people up".

Or just swarm them. Dodge is great in single combat but it's not so great in mass battles where people can get behind you and you might face shooters firing sling stones and arrows at you.

>>50834164

>A Dodge of 16 isn't that bad in actual play.

It's a 98.1% chance of negating most attacks, and by using Retreat can overcome many penalties while staying at the 16 maximum for a GURPS success roll.

With equals, this means combat will go on until someone gets bored or a critical hit. It's not fun and robs combat of any tension, and means that other then a chance for you to occasionally show off how bad-ass you are there's zero point to single combat and the GM will have to look elsewhere to build challenges and encounters.
>>
>>50834390
>With equals, this means combat will go on until someone gets bored or a critical hit.

Remember that the highly skilled will opt to always use deceptive attack to reduce dodge scores. If someone got a dodge of 16, he should reasonably also have a weapon skill in the 30:ies.
>>
>>50830024

D-damn son
>>
File: boromir_by_deligaris-d5po92u.jpg (320KB, 1400x794px) Image search: [Google]
boromir_by_deligaris-d5po92u.jpg
320KB, 1400x794px
>>50834390

People occasionally forget that Feint can stack with Deceptive Attack which can also stack with a Counterattack and possibly a Runaround Attack. A penalty of roughly -11 to Active Defenses is not outside the realm of possibility and half of that is certainly attainable.
>>
>>50835335
You are thinking of parry. Dodge isn't linked to weapon skill and there isn't a really 'reasonable' way to get it to 16 unless your are playing a super hero.
>>
>>50835414

Don't superheroes have Dodge scores around 20 or higher?

Again: people underestimate just how quickly Active Defense penalties can stack.
>>
>>50835414
With a Medium Shield, a Heavy Cloak and Combat Reflexes, you're most of the way there. If you add 1 level of Enhanced Dodge (if you game permits it) that puts you to 14 Dodge without putting any points into Attributes or Basic Speed. Then just buy 2 points of Basic Speed (to put it at 7) and you're rocking 15 to 16 Dodge on what is a mostly reasonable character, definitely not superhero territory.
>>
>>50835580
You can't get a DB bonus from a Shield and Cloak at the same time, and you only get the DB bonus from a cloak if you wrap it around your arm and use it to defend yourself.
>>
>>50835725
You do have two arms, you know. Anyway, is there a source on that? I can't find that rule in the Basic Set.
>>
>>50835753
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1635191&postcount=8
>>
>>50835818
I was looking more on the cloak side. Where does it say that you have to wrap the cloak around your arm to get the DB bonus from it?

Anyway, my point still stands, even if you remove the medium shield you're still at 14 Dodge, and you can get your 16 back through attributes. Not normal human level but definitely not super hero level.
>>
>>50835414

No I'm not thinking of parry. If a character got a massive dodge stat, he should also have high skill to accompany it, because high dodge scores don't happen in a vacuum on reasonable (aka not minmaxed) characters.

Likewise, opponents to challenge such a character should also have high skill to be able to be a threat to such a character.
>>
>>50835864
How are you going to protect yourself from the side or front with a shield if it's on your back? How would you do that with a cloak?
>>
>>50835904
In the case of the cloak adding passive DB to Dodge, the image of a cloaked rogue dual-wielding knives comes to mind, in which he throws his cloak around with his body and without really grabbing it to confuse and get in the way of the opponent without really using it to block or entangle the enemy (in which case he really would need to grab it).

It's a bit of a cinematic interpretation, but I am running a cinematic campaign. If you adhere to strict realism then your rules may change. The basic set does say that the DB bonus applies even if you just have a shield in your hand without actively defending with it.

Or are you saying that a dual-wielding guy shouldn't get the DB bonus from his cloak?
>>
>>50835956
Throwing the cloak to confuse/impede his opponent is feinting, not a defense bonus. Defensive feints allow you to give them a penalty to hit you, so you can both make it easier to attack or not be attacked with one. If you wanted to do it hands-free in a cinematic game, that'd likely be a perk. In a semi-realistic game, a hard technique at some arbitrary default.

The reason the shield's defense applies is because it's still in front of you and a big hunk of junk. It passively protects you. A cloak is not in front of you unless you're spinning like a top around the battlefield or are holding it in hand.

If you mean dual-wielding daggers and not a dagger and a cloak, yes, I'm saying they wouldn't get their defense bonus. I'm not sure if I'd allow any DB from the back, either. I might, since the cloak is blocking the attacker's view from your body, like the shield is in hand.
>>
>>50835956
GURPS defaults to realism. And there is no note that cloaks work differently even in cinematic games.
>Or are you saying that a dual-wielding guy shouldn't get the DB bonus from his cloak?
Why should he? Because you did so at your table?
>>
>>50836053

GURPS doesn't default to realism, it defaults to "heroic realism" though.
>>
>>50836047
Well, first of all, does a shield still give you DB (from the front) if you're holding it limply by your side but still strapped to your arm instead of actively raising it in front of you?

Second, a cloak, at least a heavy cloak, doesn't hang behind you, it hangs all around you, hiding a large percentage of your body from view, you can also hook it with the back of your hand (or the point of a knife or gun) and move it around without having to grab hold of anything.

Anyway, the basic set makes no mention at all of how a cloak works in defensive situations, so I was hoping you'd have an official source for it. In the absence of that, I'll just keep making rulings based on the current situation the PCs are in.
>>
Unless im blind, i cant seem to find GURPS Napoleon in the archive. Does anyone have a pdf por favor?
>>
>>50836161
>Shield
B421.
>You
>do not drop a shield on that arm
>(unless the arm is severed), but
>you cannot use it to block – and since
>it’s just hanging in front of you, reduce
>its usual Defense Bonus by one.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html
3.4.1.11 How does the Cloak Skill work? How does a cloak work in combat? Etc.
>>
>>50836229
Ok, that helps. Thanks for the source.
>>
File: shield.jpg (67KB, 478x300px) Image search: [Google]
shield.jpg
67KB, 478x300px
>>50835956
>Or are you saying that a dual-wielding guy shouldn't get the DB bonus from his cloak?
Not even that anon but there is only so much you can cover with a shield. Dual wielding scutums won't give you +6
>>
File: 1449632554688.jpg (83KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1449632554688.jpg
83KB, 600x600px
>>50835864
>>50835753

Page 184, Basic Set (Cloak) and page 287 (Shields) covers how this works.

The only way to get a DB bonus from a cloak is to use it defensively as a shield, following normal rules and requiring it be worn on an arm.

Note that a cloak is typically only good for one or two CUT damage attacks, as it has DR 1 and 3-5 HP. After a few hits it's a rag and you had better come up with a plan B.
>>
>>50836161
I'm pretty sure it is said somewhere how the cloak is used on basic set, i can remember the day i discovered it, you need to put it over your arm and shit. Also if your cloak is just hanging on you it only serves as a 'shield skirt' against arrows and thrown things
>>
>>50837395
To get a DB bonus cloaks have on the shield table you have to follow the shield rules on the same page.
>>
>>50837335

I remember seeing "cheese factor" to the max when a player suggested that one could obtain +2 to Parry in each of their character's hand by having them dual-wield staves.

The only way I could see this working is if your character has Extra Arms (2) and is armed with a staff in each opposing *pair* of hands.
>>
>>50837614

character's hands*
>>
>>50837614

Even then it might not work, because it'd be hellish to keep them from parrying each other!

Perhaps magic staves (and magic arms) that can phase...

Or having the arms pointing backwards so their arcs don't overlap as much - but at that point you could simply strap a dwarf to your back to prevent sneak attacks.
>>
>> 50837614
Once a st15 dude on a mythical heroes campaign wanted to strap hobbit shields to his body to get more DB for coverage, he sincerely didn't realize that he was reinventing armor.

I took some time to explain to him that, he stoped carrying a shield on his back and bought a heavier backplate
>>
>>50780043
>17th century firearms typically managed one round per minute.
I know this is bullshit example, since well, it's not in the middle of battle and no stress involved, but I'm working within a reconstruction group and can reload a match-lock gun twice per minute, with a wooden ramrod. This includes the agonizing blowing at the matchcord to get it red (this shit is really annoying, no wonder everyone switched for better things).
And by no means I consider myself well-drilled.

Another thing - using horn is somehow FASTER than using pre-prepared pouches or wooden containers. Mostly because the horn has a small tip that can be precisely applied, while using pouches and contained you must really focus to not spill half of the charge by just trying to load the gun or having a light breeze.

Again, I know personal experience and basic reconstructions are hardly good examples, but just saying how this works for me.
>>
>>50837871
Adding to above - the best possible storage for primitive firearms is having a lot of pre-prepared charges stored in small horns. So rather than using one big horn, you are having well-measured charges, while having all the benefits of using horn.
Leather pouches are just horrible at storing charges.

And a question - assuming you would use it in GURPS, would small horns count as pre-measured containers (-5 seconds if I recall correctly) or still be treated as using horn (no changes)?
>>
>>50837871
>>50837913
Different anon, but speaking about reloading rules and time - can a group of shooters just pass weapons among themselves and how much time it would take?

Let's assume the classic, well-known situation. The mini-siege from "Treasure Island" on the stockade. They have more guns than shooters and most importantly, Jim and Captain Smollett are busy reloading them for the others. How would it work mechanical-wise, with the time needed to pass the loaded gun needed between loader and gunner, plus the gunner taking aim and all.
>>
>>50780043
>17th century firearms typically managed one round per minute.
This is bullshit for smoothbore. You mean RIFLED firearms?
>>
>>50838001
1 ready manouver to pass/receive plus 1 aim manouver to aim or 1 fire manouver to hipfire
>>
>>50838045
It's even bullshit for rifled ones, since the 17th century ones came with a hammer to push the ramrod - a piece of equipment that was later dropped, for no logical reason. So a 18th century rifle would take more time to load than the 17th century one, fully depending on muscle strength of the rifleman.
>>
>>50838059
>hipfire
Why?
>>
>>50838112
'hipfire' over here doesn't mean actual hipfire, just firing without taking a aim manouver.

'plus one aim manouver to aim *before firing* OR one fire manouver to *just* hipfire'
>>
>>50838163
So you can technically add aim manouver rather than outright shooting... right?
>>
>>50838177
Nevermind, I've just re-read your post.
>>
>>50838001
It still would be rather pointless, mechanics-wise, unless you would have a really large group of people doing it, since it takes still a lot of time to reload. So you would need at least 3, if not 4 times as many guns than gunners, all pre-loaded and then having a single reloading person for each 4 guns, assuming they are not rifles. With rifles, the entire enterprise is pretty much pointless, as half of the people would have to reload, rather than just having more people shooting.
>>
>>50838163
Per Tactical Shooting, hipfire is taking an Attack maneuver, sighted shooting is All-Out Attack - Determined, and aimed shooting is, well, aimed.
>>
>>50838239
All-Out Determined? Also as far as i know everyone on the / gurpsgen / discord assumes that just to 'attack maneuver' is pointing the gun somewhat in the right direction but not necessary from the literall hip, even that it is called 'hip fire' on TS.

Thats why i said
>'hipfire' over here doesn't mean actual hipfire, just firing without taking a aim manouver.
>>
>>50838330
From the perspective of Tactical Shooting, yes. Just pointing out the difference between what the system considers sighted and unsighted shooting.
>>
>>50838223
This.

GURSP is, in the end, still just a game. Having more attackers in the very first turn is better than having actual, real-world advantage of slightly faster reloading.
>>
>>50838360
I was not talking about aligning it with your eyes, just pointing it from somewhere, like you point to a pistol or from your chest, like your stereotype gangster for something two handed
>>
>>50838447
>like you point to a pistol
like you point a finger for a pistol*
>>
Noob question
Assuming setting is TL x+y, how should be gear and skills used? From the X or X+Y tier?

For example, setting is TL4+2. So skills should be TL4 or TL6?
>>
>>50839175
Are people of a TL other than TL4+2 going to roll? If no, well then, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>50839251
Well it kind of does matter, since the TL is not universal for entire setting. Hence the question.

The real example I'm asking about is a TL2+3, while most of the setting is just regular TL2 on a verge of hitting TL3
>>
>>50839288
You use the skills from the TL that X culture has access in Y field.
Example;
In warhammer 40k most imperial worlds are TL9, while eldars are TL11, so the setting is TL9+2^ because of the superscience from ancient tech and the few TL10 and 11 things.

João is a human from a imperial world, he learns surgery at TL9 because that's what his culture know on that field while Wooaalaee is a eldar from Ulthwé, a TL11 craftworld, and he also learns surgery, but he learns at TL11 because thats what his society knows.

And there are two ways to deal with this; 1. you can make your players pay for 'high tl' if their society TL is higher than what you wanna call 'average' or just treat it as a 0 point characteristic
>>
How do I adapt the ability to vibrate through walls?
>>
>>50840031
Or, which is what the rules are for different TLs, apply the penalty, depending on difference.
I'm guessing it's "industrial revolution in Roman Empire" setting, so for Romans use TL5 and for everyone else TL2, with proper penalties.

This brings my own, personal question.
Imagine average wester setting. By all account Indians are TL2. When they pick up Winchesters, they should gain a penalty due to massive difference of TLs. We all know they had no problems whatsoever incorporating guns and shooting at burgers.
How to solve it with rules? Aside ofc ignoring the penalty, since that's not a solution of a problem, but rather ignoring it exists.
>>
>>50840101
Actually, it's a homebrew of my friend, with Tang China sticking to all the reforms after Wu Zetian and expanding them during Tang restoration, thus getting a serious boost of overqualified natural scientists and eventually set up a basic school system, getting to Song advances within two generations rather than 5 centuries, and then the ball kept rolling.
Using homebrew made by bunch of sinologists is definitely fun, but the tech level is something I barely grasp in GURPS when there is more than single level for entire setting.
>>
>>50840101
TL difference is not applicable to anything, they are mostly for mental skills except for a few exceptions. Also the other point of view is that on first contact the indians were TL2 and as far as we know it took some time until they understood guns, which made them 2+4/2+5; Think about it like the first contact generation had problems with maintence because of that alien concept, but then the second, newer generation grew up with it and got basic 0 point/quirk/1 point characteristics which made them capable of understanding how the internal mechanisms work without a huge penalty.

And do not forget familiarity, that -3 its huge for your average joe who never saw a gun before but it goes away really, really fast with just a little training.
>>
>>50840236
>TL difference is not applicable to anything
TL difference is not applicable to EVERYTHING*

I fucked up
>>
>>50840236
The -3 penalty for no familiarity is what I was looking for. Thanks
>>
>>50840236
-3 is huge for Joe Average, but compare it with -4 PER TL you get to trade and mental skills. Suddenly you can end up with -12 when being, say, tribals trying to figure out a steam railway engine, but "just" -3 when trying to figure out how to operate one.

Since it's basically TL-related thread now:
Semaphore telegraph and electric one are both TL5, right?
>>
>>50840202
Sounds fun.
And somewhat plausable, since better structured administration would made An Lushan rebellion impossible or at least not as popular. Especially since the rebellion fucked up the existing bureaucracy, as it was stretched too thin and with too much ad-hoc solutions for everything set during the fitght, which ultimately leading to the fall of the entire dynasty.
>>
>>50840685
Long story short, the reformed literati remained in power, rather than getting steady rise of eunuchs, so when the rebellion started in the setting, no eunuch politicking was involved and Tang commanders didn't end up beheaded for petty reasons, curbing An Lushan forces after 2 years.

Wish I had it translated to English, would post on /tg/, since the setting is pretty dope. Especially if you know Chinese history even a bit and are into alt!History settings.
>>
>>50840101
People are always quick on the uptake when it comes to ways to kill their fellow man.
>>
>>50840101
They originally did not have the Guns skill and would be firing at default. However, once they obtained TL5 weaponry and trained in it, they would have points in Guns/TL5 rather than Guns/TL2.
>>
>>50843317
That might be related with the fact there are no Guns/TL2
>>
>>50840417
Wait, its -1 per tl, not -4, what the hell are you talking about anon?
>>
>>50843395
not that anon but they *could* have guns/tl2 and get the -3 for using a tl5 gun, but if they train with a tl5gun they will get Guns/tl5 skill

>>50843317
did i got it?
>>
>>50799635
Yep, I think that is what I am going to aim for.
>>
File: White Shirt Day.jpg (524KB, 1013x802px) Image search: [Google]
White Shirt Day.jpg
524KB, 1013x802px
>>50837395
Low Tech has rules for arrow curtains on p.104, but it does not provide an allowance for worn cloaks.
>>
>>50840071
Permeation, as written.
>>
Hey /gurpsgen/, I'm trying to put together a fairly complicated power (using obviously the rules from the Powers book).
I want this character to be able to mentally affect everyone within a certain radius (probably a Will check to resist it or something) so that he can selectively take control of their bodies and at any time perceive the world via their senses. I want, however, the latter half of the power to only work when he is in the presence of an electronic device that can support that sense. So for instance, a TV could let him see through one of his thrall's eyes and hear through their ears, but a radio would only let him do the former and nothing would let him use their taste, smell, or touch.
I figure this should be built on an Affliction modified to be an AOE but I'm not entirely sure where to go from there, especially with the sensory part.
I guess an easy cop out way to do this would be to give him a bunch of Allies that are fluffed as being affected by this power and just give the PCs plot armor against it, but I'd like to do it legitimately if possible.
>>
>>50848584
start the other way around
you got Accessibility limited farsight and such, and then once thats statted out, you add area effect to say, hit multiple people at once with it
>>
>>50848584
Why the link to technology? that seems kind of odd for a psychic power, in my opinion why not just limit his farsight through them to those senses you listed.
>>
>>50848760
Its just a gimmick, really. Something to give him some more flair than just a generic psychic puppeteer would have.
>>
>>50848704
Well, besides the senses, I want him to be able to take full control over them whenever he wants. So for instance if someone is coming for him, he can puppet the Biggest Guys in town and have them fight in his place. That's where I imagined the affliction would come in.
>>
>>50848787
Okay but, it would also be incredibly limiting unless it's set in a world like ours currently.
>>
>>50848836
Yeah I mean I'm using this guy as a villain, not a PC. If the PCs can figure out that's his weakness and exploit it good for them.
>>
>>50848849
Oh okay, that make more sense.
>>
>>50848584
>>50848704
>>50848760
I've been reading the Posession power and I think I'm probably going to use it alongside Compartmentalized Mind, Telesend, and some modifiers.
>>
>>50848584
Mind Control, maybe with Independent.
For senses use Mind Reading with Sensory Only, -20%. Requires (Item) is -10% limitation (see power ups 8 for other special cases of Accessibility). Only on Targets Under Mind Control might worth -20%, the same as existing Telecommunication limitation.
>>
>>50849096
Mind Control might even be better than Posession. Its entry in Powers made it seem too limited, but now that I go back and read its entry in Basic, it sounds nearly perfect.
>>
Is there a Stars Wars Book for GURPS?
>>
>>50849987
Officially licensed? No. But there are several very complete fan supplements out there, some with the official 'star wars' label and some with the serial numbers filed off.
>>
>>50850066
Got any links for them or are all of them in the Trove in the OP?
>>
Are there any rules suggestions to reduce the all or nothing nature of Ultra Tech armor and weapons? I looked up the Low Tech damage to armor rules but that doesn't seem to translate at all. I am looking for some sort of chip away system. Like getting swarmed by zerg and eventually they beat away at your armor enough.
>>
>>50850334
You can use Survivable Guns, just halve the damage and increase armor divisor.
I dunno if there are any rules for armor degrading from normal damage.
>>
>>50850334

Add the ablative or semi-ablative modifier to the armor. Reduce the price to compensate.
>>
>>50850334
Sorry anon, but the entire point of Ultra Tech is all or nothing
>>
>>50851966
Sorry Anon, but the entire point of GURPS is customization.
>>
>>50852033
Sorry Anon, but the entire point of GURPS is ___FUN___
>>
>>50852154
True, but it's incredible aptitude for customization, is one of it's major fun things, that's why it's "Universal", right?
>>
>>50852179
Aaaaand... Ultra Tech it's still all or nothing.

Which is part of the ___FUN___
>>
>>50852228
For you, fun is ultimately subjective, he wants help homebrewing it and unlike other anons instead of helping him, you tell him, no it can't be done, when clearly it can as people directly above your first post on the subject pointed out.

Of course, you might not be that anon, and are then just arguing to argue, if so, I invite you to stop as doing so serves no purpose.
>>
>>50852270
I am that anon and while I know it can be properly adjusted, in any TL above 9 it's pretty much defeating the point. What's the point of having great armour, if the enemy can effortlessly desintegrate you from safe distance and without you even knowing about the enemy existing. It's easier and faster to just use basic logic and having semi-competent GM than try to create a counter to attack that pretty much says "fuck you" to any form od defense applied.

Said above, it can be done with enough dedication and tinkering. The real question still remains thou - what's the point.
>>
>>50852493
Fun for him, fun for his players, curiosity perhaps, does the reason really matter all that much, friend? Just so you know I do see your point about basic logic, but the vast majority seem to have an issue with that and unless, like now, they're asking for help, there's no point in trying to help.
>>
>>50852543
>does the reason really matter all that much, friend
Ok, to explain my stance on this. Any form of tinkering requires proper amount of man-hours. Since literally the only thing limiting human creativity is amount of time that can be spent on it, the basic question is always the same - is it worth to spent N man-hours on Task Y?

In given example, we are trying to develop proper defense against attacks designed from the very start as being impossible to block or defend. To put that into perspective, we are trying to use gas masks to fight effects of nuclear explosion. It just won't work, unless we completely rework how the nuclear explosion works and replace properties of the masks themselves.
Which brings us to the point where the faster solution would be, for example, not allowing weapons that are inheritently impossible to block.

So rather than using desintegration ray and trying to find a way to block it, ban desintegration ray or at least make them, for another example, ship-mounted weapons, rather than portable mini-canon.

More often than not, the simplest solution is the best one, rather than wasting precious man-hours on trying to reinvent the wheel.
Which is the very reason why I'm so against attempts to "fix" post TL9 weapons and armours with tinkering.
>>
>>50852763
Okay, that makes more sense, and the basic logic angle infinitely more so, you ar definitely right here, I haven't read much of the GURPS stuff as I'm rather new to it, so excuse my ignorance here, thank you for the insightful post.
>>
Kind of late, but a question before I will get busy with the eve's supper and other stuff - how does GURPS handle penalties for long range shooting and how they are affected by sniper weapons and proper aiming devices and/or presence of a spotter?
I never run anything above TL3, since my players mostly want fantasy, but they've recently asked me about maybe trying something like Arcanum for a setting, with the inevetable question for the infamously powerful sniper rifle.
>>
>>50853429
High tech book
>>
>>50853429
Range penalties are the same for all weapons. Sniper rifles and other very long range weapons tend to have a higher Accuracy then other weapons, in addition to scopes. When aiming, this reduces (or can eliminate entirely) the range penalty.

For example, the sniper rifle in the basic set has an accuracy of 6, with a scope that provides an additional +3. Using the scope, this reduces the range penalties by 9, or up to 12 (twice the weapons base accuracy) if you aim long enough. Accuracy 6+3 is enough to negate the penalties for shooting out to 70 yards, while the maximum accuracy (for this rifle) of 12 negates the range penalty out to 200 yards.
>>
>>50854421
I'm asking about real-life distances, hence the question.
>>
How useful is monster hunters for fictional settings?
>>
>>50856122
Monster Hunters is contemporary detective work and high powered combat with fantasy elements. Probably easily rejiggered back to TL5 and maybe a few TLs past 8.
If you want a game about sleuthing out vampires and werewolves a la Buffy or Scooby Doo and rapid fire cinematic action, then it is probably helpful for you.

On the other hand, if you want to run a game with meek everymen, highly detailed combat, or perhaps more realistic antagonists, and you either want very detailed detective work or none at all (it is kinda in the middle of the spectrum in that regard,) then it might be less useful.
>>
>>50856122
If my fictional you mean fantasy, then probably not at all. It's less "monsters and how to hunt them" and more, as the other guy said, "buffy the vampire slayer"
>>
>>50856122
Making a bold assumption here:
Don't bother if you want to use it to emulate Witcher. Will give subpar results
>>
>>50857272
what would you recommend if that were the case? Aren't Witchers are very detective-like? at least as far as Geralt goes they are.
>>
>>50859867
I would recommend The Witcher game, an old ass TTRPG translated with /tg/'s help.
The fan-made GURPS Witcher is very flawed and almost entirely based on the first video game, thus cluttered with clumsy conversions of equally clumsy vidya mechanics and it's literally better just make something on your own than still use it in current year. Especially if you are familiar with the source material (the books), then that fan-expansion is a really bizzare thing to even read, not to mention use.
>>
>>50860254
Well thank you.
>>
>>50860281
Glad to help, even if the answer isn't exactly GURPS related.
>>
>>50860376
Eh i'm sure thats fine, after all when GURPS has no real answer to your problem, what are you supposed to do not play?
>>
>>50860466
DESU, I don't think it's possible to fully convey Witcher into GURPS. And I'm playing GURPS for past 6 years. There is just too much stuff to consider to properly transfer the whole "magic knight" deal that comes with being a witcher, making such character extremely costly without even going for actual magic skills.
>>
>>50860643
Since when 4chan changes desu into desu?
>>
>>50860643
Yeah even just having played Witcher 3 it seemed daunting with all the lore they present in the game.
>>50860677
t b h?
>>
We're gonna need a new thread soon
>>
Any suggestions for OP of next Thread?
>>
File: qVgSQYk.jpg (660KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
qVgSQYk.jpg
660KB, 1600x1600px
>>50860643
I think a witcher being very expensive is a feature, not a bug. They are powerful (especially in the video games). So are the sorceress and magical scions of ancient bloodlines that a player might want to try out in a game set in the universe.

Just relax and embrace that a fully trained Witcher is likely a 300+ point character.
>>
>>50861773
Happy Holidays Edition, with how to use Tactical Shooting to run a Christmas adventure.
>>
>>50861809
As the subject yes? should I do any specific questions, or just what I've already picked out.
>>
>>50861836
>>50861809

also note I'm new to this so I don't actually know how to use gurps yet, I'm learning though
>>
>>50861780
I know it's not related with GURPS, but the Witcher TTRPG handled witchers without much issues, giving them 2 more skill points spent on starting skills. To put that into perspective, humans got 5 points just for being human for their skills.

But direct conversion for GURPS? Forget it, that's a template worth roughtly 500 points if you just go for most basic features of a witcher.
>>
>>50861917
Someone pointed that out in spoilers earlier friend.
>>
>>50861917
Well, you need to cover absurd amount of lore and knowledge skills (ranging from monsters through theoretical magic to few different languages), then all the stuff needed for tracking (and survival), then all combat related stuff. Preferably also alchemy.

Then shit related with being a mutant monster slayer. Even if you skip purely lore-important one (like being ageless), that shit alone is worth roughtly three competent characters

And then there is all the stuff going with signs and practical magic. In fact, signs being so absurdly easy to cast is what makes them so expensive.
>>
>>50862020
Wasn't there recently a "stat me" thread with Geralt and someone actually pulling a complete list of skills needed? Just by skipping the handful of Geralt-specific, everything else could apply to just about any witcher.
>>
>>50862042

Yeah I saw that, we'd probably have to search an archive for it though.

also since I'm OPing next thread, i've got it all ready, so I hope I did well enough for all you guys, once this thread is archived it'll be up.
>>
>>50862084
Found it, still in regular archive (but barely)
>>50739574
>>50739616
>>50739649

For those curious, the game from which its takes operates in 1-5 range for stats and 0-5 for skills, with skills being used to cut the difficulty of task by their value (baseline difficulty is 4)
>>
>>50862611
In terms of GURPS that would made 1 ("poor") any value below 10, 2 being 10 ("average"), 3 being 12 ("good"), 4 being 15 ("excellent") and 5 being 20 ("legendary")
>>
>>50862611, awesome I hope that other anon can use that, i wish i had saved the John Wick stats for Gurps i saw in a stat me thread, it seemed fun to play.

New thread should be up shortly.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.