[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I promote character interaction? How do I make sure the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1481922480860.jpg (121KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481922480860.jpg
121KB, 620x400px
How do I promote character interaction? How do I make sure the PCs get to know each other? How do I nudge them to bond into a coherent unit of misfits? How do I make them feel they belong? How do I promote roleplay?
>>
>>50751317

If you're not confident that you have strong roleplayers who can make this work themselves, you're going to have to either establish a bond prior to game start(collaborative chargen, party template), or you're going to have to throw a few social situations in there that won't immediately put people at cross odds with each other.
>>
>>50751317
>How do I promote character interaction?
Don't use indirect speech. Talk to them directly.
>How do I make sure the PCs get to know each other?
First they have to know themself better.
Make them familiar with the setting, why their characters should care and give them and standpoint.
Then they may start arguing with each other.
>How do I nudge them to bond into a coherent unit of misfits?
MONEY
Jokes aside give them a reason to work with each other without making it too forced so they might not break up after they flee prison or something like that.
Knowing the rough types the player gonna play helps.
>How do I make them feel they belong?
By putting effort in it.
Make sure you connect to the characters, not the players.
>How do I promote roleplay?
All of the above.
>>
>>50751431
So basically, start with a few standard quests to allow the players to familiarize with themselves and the setting before going into the big stuff?
>>
>>50751707
That's quite an oversimplyfication for different kind of answers but quick tips that may help:
-Don't use indirect speach.
-Make descriptions a little bit unique. Not bizarre unique, but just a little different touch and distinguishing marks to make things notable.
-Perfect is boring.
-make it clear that it's better arguing with each other or NPCs than to argue with you the GM.
>>
Two Words: Skinner Box.
Encourage the kind of roleplay interaction you want by giving mechanical rewards for it.

If you're playing 5e, this is implementing the inspiration mechanic.

So you're not enforcing a hard rule of 'roleplay better' but encouraging and rewarding it.

I would enforce that all verbal exhanges in character must actually be done in character. Doing that alone can help set the stage for the beginnings of an immersive atmosphere.

At first, hand out the benefits liberally, especially to your more wargamey players. You need to give them the hook, as it were. Then because you give them bennies whenever they roleplay, they will associate it in their brains as a positive experience, and subconsciously will be less adverse to it. Implement this strategy ad nauseam, with subtlety at first, and you'll reap wonders.
>>
>>50754175
My GM uses bonds, where you pick some aspect of your characters relationship, and build on it. Eventually that gives XP.
>>
This is actually quite hard. My players usually don't roleplay much, I mean, they have their moments and they act out their characters pretty well, it's just that they don't get invested in inter-party discussions and all that. They just all think OoC what their best option is and then they characters act that out, but their discussions and fights are never in character.

They also never try to know more about each other's characters, they just assume a lot of stuff and shit, and it's really not that fun that way.

I'm always trying to get them invested and all but it's really difficult. That, coupled with the fact that we were never able to go past a 2nd or 3rd session of the same fucking game (except once when I GM'd an alternate history antiquity game) just kills my RPG inspiration
>>
>>50756085
Then the only option left is to drop those players and find new ones that click with your playstyle more.

We are limited human beings and only have so much time to devote to this hobby that we love so much. It's not fair to you to squander your time on people that don't care to even try and accomodate you when you're investing so much time into them. If you don't have other people IRL, you're either not networking hard enough or live in bumfuck. Even if that's the case, online groups are real. Google hangouts and roll20 are really convenient for this purpose.
>>
>>50754373
OK, but is that strategy being communicated in a way in which your players understand that if they RP they get 'goodies' and in turn generate a more RP-friendly atmosphere?

IMO the standard 5E inspiration mechanic is v flawed, but it's a good place to start. If the EXP bennies are working for you then awesome, but if not then try something else, or again, get new players.
>>
>>50751317
>How do I promote character interaction?
Force therm to communicate or perish.
>How do I make sure the PCs get to know each other?
Fireside bonding.
>How do I nudge them to bond into a coherent unit of misfits?
Adversity, hard work, and overcoming challenges.
>How do I make them feel they belong?
Make the world react to their actions, and not just negatively.
>How do I promote roleplay?
Fireside bonding sessions, and the old trick of locking them in a room together for a while.
Non-combat encounters, too.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.