[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, it's been ages since I've read some good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Hey /tg/,

it's been ages since I've read some good fantasy. Even fantasy in general, aside from reading Prince of Thorns a few years ago (which I enjoyed, even though I'm not a fan of postapocalyptic fantasy).

I wanted to read something but I realized I have no idea of what's big in fantasy since like 2005, maybe earlier.

So I asked a few friends and I was recommended two book, which I promptly ordered, pic related.

Now, The Final Empire I have found to be absolute dogshit that might as well have been written by a goth teen on livejournal in 2007.

However, I am thoroughly enojying The Blade itself, it's a great book. I'm only halfway through the first one and already thinking: what are some actually good contemporary fantasy books, aside from Abercrombie?

I would prefer if they weren't 10 piece series of 800 page books each, but I know how this goes.

tl;dr: recommend me some good contemporary fantasy that is not young adult trash like Mistborn.
>>
>>50738392
Don't let anyone recommend The Name of the Wind or its sequel. It's one of the only fantasy series I've ever put down and I even stuck it out through all of The Wheel of Time.
>>
>>50738586
I'll keep that in mind. I've burned myself with Mistborn enough. It still makes me mad.
>>
>>50738615
Additionally, you may want to give >>>/lit/8849931 a look. They have some helpful charts and recommendations.
>>
>>50738643
Much appreciated, m8
>>
>>50738586
Name of the wind is good though.

The Magicians is ok.

But seriously if you want some 10/10 fantasy elements implemented on a grand space opera scale;

Peter F Hamilton.

The Night's Dawn series is where I started, would recommend.
>>
Malazan Book of the Fallen.
It's very long and very complex but very metal.
>>
>>50741770
I remember starting the first one 10+ years ago. It seemed way too convulated.
>>
>>50738392
Lies of Locke Lamora. Read it. It was so damn much fun. Picture a really high paced crime novel set in a high fantasy version of Venice.
>>
>>50738392

I've enjoyed Mistborn, but it definitely isn't a well written book. It it were an anime it would the Attack of the Titans.

The Blade Itself is a very fun read, in which you can never know exactly where the story will lead you. Last time I checked Abercrombie still hadn't released the final book. If it were an anime, it would be Berserk.
>>
>>50738392

What specifically turned you off on Mistborn? It will help knowing what to avoid in recommending you other books.
>>
File: uggo pepe.jpg (58KB, 540x471px) Image search: [Google]
uggo pepe.jpg
58KB, 540x471px
>>50738586
i actually couldnt put the name wind down, and i honestly think it is still one of the best fantasy books ive read in a while
>>
>>50745916

You are not alone, anon. I and everyone in my group have read it, and we all loved it.

I presume 4chan is just being contrarian.
>>
>>50742336
I'll second this one. Fantasy Ocean's Eleven is a good book series.

I still need to get around to reading some of the later ones, though.
>>
>>50738392
It really depends of what are you looking for.

The Second apocalipsis series is pretty great. The first three are a kind of Crusaders in grim dark fantasy land. Pros: Awesome setting, interesting characters, cool ideas, the language fits very well the history. Cons: Unlikable characters, specially the PoV, like holy shit everyone is a cunt and half crazy minus a few ones. The setting is great, but it's depresing and full of filth and rape and crazyness. Other notes: The pace I found it a tad slow, but nothing serious. Normally you hate it or love it.

The Traitor son: I specially liked the first book, after it it's okay but not as awesome. It's a very medieval setting (it's a painted medieval Europe with some fantasy elements really, but the fantasy elements are pretty great), about a merc than gets very mary sue as time goes one, a pity because at first it's a likeable fellow and his band of merry of Knights and bowmen.The battles,magic, monster etc are great. The characters aren't bad, I liked a good deal of them, other were a bit grating but it wasn't bad. The problem is the following books, the pace gets too fast and it lost the charm.

if you don't mind Young teen novels, Blood monster tattoes and The Edge Chronicles have amazing setting full of ideas, the first one is more early American Settlers era tech full of lovercraftian alchemy, the second one has Sky pirates and an incredible variety of sapient beings. Both are full of lovely black and white pics of great quality.
>>
>>50746113
I hated Kvothe, specially in the book two. Lovely writing, interesting parts, other idiotic (fucking ninjas) and the characters,holy shit I wanted to choke half.
>>
>>50745916
Name of the Wind is alright, but the second book has some issues.

It's not going to stop me from reading the third book whenever it comes out, but it's got some shit to make up for. I just hope Rothfuss manages to do a good enough job with the transition between the borderline gary sue Kvothe of the past and the more likable one of the future, because if he doesn't then the second book is just fucked.
>>
>>50746534

Honestly, the only part of the second book that really rankled me was the bit in Faerie where the elf lady insists on teaching him to be best at sex.

Everything else in the book works for me. Kvothe being sent to fight bandits? Works. And how Kvothe handles that fight really marks the point where he transitions from 'a kid with potential' to 'a guy who is legend'. Running into elf lady in the first place is a hell of a chance, but chasing after her is an absurdly Kvothe thing to do (magic music? His two favorite things!).

The naming fight and tricking her into letting him go back to the real world are both classic hero stuff. But the sex romp after that is where it just becomes "...really?" especially because unlike everything else there doesn't really seem to be a reason for it to be in the story.

Kvothe fighting bandits forwards the story. Its where he first learns to fight. Going to Faerie and upping his magic + getting the cloak + meeting the rat bastard tree thing are all important. Even the ninja detour is important! Its where he learns to fight without magic (which is important, because otherwise futureKvothe would be useless and it explains how he beat the scrael) and more importantly the entire Lethani culture is about restraint, something Kvothe desperately needs.

But the sex stuff just doesn't forward anything and doesn't really seem to come up again after he bangs that one barmaid. The only reason I can think of that it would matter is if Bast is his son, but even that could have been done without it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.