[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good magic systems that go into detail as to how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

What are some good magic systems that go into detail as to how someone BEGINS in magic? Like how someone makes the leap from mundane to basic primary skills? Every system goes into elaborate details about how to fell gods with bolts of energy and transform dragons into chickens, but very few give any meat behind how a student actually learns to magic.
>>
>>50738004
Palladium 1 wizards start with 4 elementary spells given to every apprentice and need to FIND new ones. Or they can do a maddening ritual that shoves new ones into their brains.
>>
>>50738122
Does a master give them the spells? Are they just "injected" into their brains? Do they have to learn them?
>>
>>50738004
>>50738189
Well, a lot of wizardry systems are based on science.

So it's usually like, you read a book, it says you say these words, make this gesture, it might have diagrams, etc.

Like, look up chemical synthesis steps, and imagine those are alchemical or ritual steps. And then to figure out what chemicals are called for, you look those up, and so on.
>>
>>50738262
The processes are different though. Any idiot can pass a current through salty water and get Oxygen and Hydrogen. But magic is different. It requires internal, personal characteristics. I'm looking for details about spell system metaphysics. How the magic works and how people go from no magic to the ability to use it. I realize a lot of systems gloss over that.
>>
>>50738004
Arcanum.
>>
>>50738288
>But magic is different. It requires internal, personal characteristics.
No, this depends on the system.

Many systems, particularly those that scale magic on Int, make it out to be literally 'expedited science'. If you make the appropriate somatic gestures and say the right words, it works.
It's like playing a piano, or writing paragraph.
The Tyranny RPG uses memorized gestures drawn in the air, for example.
Some systems, like Dresden, use 'imagination and will'. The Dresden Files has some pretty detailed 'learning magic' on that aspect. There's also various tales of young Merlin.

But really, honestly, it's like you in real life learning chemistry and thus actually becoming aware of the hydrogen and oxygen, for most systems.

Like, there's real life 'magic rituals' right now, like building a laser audio transmitter, that you may just simply not know how to do. "Any sufficiently advanced technology may appear to be magic."
>>
>>50738295
Explain.

>>50738320
>No, this depends on the system.
Well yeah that's true, but generally the metaphysics involve using your own soul and/or mind to enact change.

>make it out to be literally 'expedited science'
I really don't like this. And I would like details and specifics that I could look at.

>If you make the appropriate somatic gestures and say the right words, it works.
This is the kind of bullshit I have no interest in. This is about as far from magic as a fucking card trick.

>But really, honestly, it's like you in real life learning chemistry
Please stop this "magic is chemistry" shit. It's getting annoying.
>>
>>50738362
>And I would like details and specifics that I could look at.
Around here, D&D. I'm not sure what you want really. That "magic is chemistry" description is fully accurate. In D&D's vancian casting, a wizard has a spellbook that he memorizes spells from. The book details all the words and gestures, he copies them to his head, then outputs them when he casts it. Downside is it erases the spell from his head, and he has to re-memorize it. But anyone can do that, so long as they learn how, that's what 'multiclassing' is.
>>
I personally have a setting where magic requires wands to function.

Basically, young people start out waving wands around and seeing if they can make sparks appear, ripples appear in shallow pools of water, snuff out or light a candle and so on. Eventually, you get them to learn complex motions and ways to channel energy that become more powerful and complex spells.

That's how I fluff it anyway. I'd imagine most settings use level 0 cantrips as how you actually train magic.
>>
>>50738004
There's Ars Magica, which has a mini-splat for apprentices. I'm not sure if the splat's in the trove, though.

>captcha thinks a salad is sushi
>>
Where do you prefer the learning dynamic to fall between Master-Apprentice Relationship, Organized Institutions, Innate Power and Experimentation, Borrowed Power from Other Beings, or Something anyone can learn with the right texts?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.