[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a masquerade (like in world of darkness) pointless in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 29434-bigthumbnail.jpg (42KB, 450x281px) Image search: [Google]
29434-bigthumbnail.jpg
42KB, 450x281px
Is a masquerade (like in world of darkness) pointless in fictional settings?
>>
Why would it be?
>>
>>50693465
Not if you want to play around with the supernatural trying to hide itself while not having to adhere to real world history and politics.
>>
>>50693493
When it plays in the real world, you need an explanation why supernatural beings are unknown.

A fictional setting is fictional, so why hide supernatural existence from normal people?

hiding of supernatural existence from normal people
>>
>>50693561
Magic being real doesn't make vampires or necromancers popular.
People also tend to hold unfair prejudice against those that make pacts with devils.
And even if the arts they practice aren't frowned upon, perhaps coming out into the open would bring undue attention to their influence on politics or commerce.
>>
>>50693465
In the world of darkness, if the masquerade is broken, mankind would go in brutal genocidal war against the vamps and the like that the supernatural creatures would not stand a chance of winning.
>>
>>50693465
World of Darkness is a fictional setting because vampires aren't real.
>>
>>50693802
>vampires aren't real.
Prove it.
>>
What is with the nitpicking owod threads lately?
>>
Because the key point of grounding a setting is to be able to coherently predict the reactions to every action taken by those that live in it.

The concept of the suspension of disbelief does not work for rpgs as you need a point of reference to hold on to in order to drive your character. A GM has to put the work in to give players a proper reference. If you're unable to come up with a seemingly realistic response to any character's action, throwing up a "it's just a game, how should I know" SHATTERS any hope of getting emotions out of your players that aren't related to dice rolls.

World of Darkness, Unknown Armies, Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, or plenty of other urban fantasy games always try to present their world as seemingly the same as ours because the real world is what we know the most about, and any slight deviation from that can very easily slip into a setting logic form of the uncanny valley. Getting the real world to play with can make for some powerfully natural rolellaying experiences, but it can also be powerfully easy to fuck up.
>>
>>50693802
>vampires aren't real.
>>
>>50693465
When I can stomach the concept, I always default to the veil breaking being the first sign of the real end times, all of them at once. This isn't a 'when' but an 'if', so most everyone's got a stake in keeping it running.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.