[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm worldbuilding a weird sci-fi setting where millions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Santa Claus Rocket.jpg (76KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
Santa Claus Rocket.jpg
76KB, 600x434px
So I'm worldbuilding a weird sci-fi setting where millions of alien races and peoples, one of which includes humans, get 'dumped' into a single city on the outskirts of the universe with no way back home.

However I kind of want 'Christmas' to be a universal holiday here, even though humans are only a tiny majority in a very diverse and cosmopolitan city.

Is there any way to justify this?
>>
The precursor race to ALL races created the concept of it.

The idea of Saint Nick is actually a psionic or memetic effect that's spread through the entire universe at this point.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy style, just go: "wow WhAT a coinCIDENcE"
>>
File: 20081124.gif (35KB, 468x516px) Image search: [Google]
20081124.gif
35KB, 468x516px
>>
all of >>50688982 are fine ideas, but if we knew more about your setting, it would certainly help.
>>
>>50690018
Kek
>>
>the thing that makes humanity strong is not our will, or our technology, or our sense of kindness and sacrifice

>It is our ability... to meme.
>>
File: Garden at night.jpg (523KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
Garden at night.jpg
523KB, 1024x678px
>>50690207

Imagine a early modern (1920s+) city filled with alien creatures from all different dimensions. Some futuristic tech, like hovercars and 'lightning guns' exist, but there is no internet or television, only radio and telephones which still require giant switchboards of operators, some with many arms and mouths to be more efficient.

Imagine an urban fantasy setting where any possible city-like interpretations of a city could exist, and it exists in some capacity here. Perfect white-picket fence neighborhoods which is segregated by race and run by cultists, gigantic factories now long abandoned and turns into many homes, gang warfare, Kowloon walled city style mega-cramped cityscapes, all this stuff exists. Plus the city is crawling with a million different weird plants and animals also brought in from the other worlds along with the people, lemurs fight over trashcans, purple ivy grows up the walls of your apartment complex, in fact the whole city is very 'green' and has lots of plants and parks. Since only a few people own cars most of it has small walking paths with trees and little gardens everywhere.

Most things are hand made but recycled over and over again from older technology brought in from the other worlds, or occasionally found in the seemingly endless forest just outside the city. The entire thing has a scrap dieselpunk sort of feeling to it, along with 1920s gangster iconography, gumshoe detectives, weird science stuff, and lots of aliens and psychic powers. It's an urban hexcrawl world.

Oh, and its always night time, there's no moon or sun here, just stars and a power grid to keep away the monsters in the darkness just outside the gates.

The idea here is everyone is forced more or less to live together in a sleazy but awesome city, and I want Christmas to be a popular thing. Perhaps to add to the weirdness.
>>
>>50690473
Generally, only one or two races find their way to the city at a time.

At first, mostly/only humans got dumped there.
Maybe they built the city from scratch. Maybe they built it over the ruins of whoever lived there last, who maybe all died off. Doesn't really matter.
But the immigrants trickle in at a slow enough rate that they adapt to the existing culture.

The culture might have warped a bit, but there's never been an "Eternal September".
Immigrants never arrive fast enough to form their own culture/society before they can be integrated into the current (originally human) culture.
>>
>>50688342
God is real and every race have their Jesus equivalent.
>>
The government in the city decides that each year a new yearly holiday is celebrated. This year, it's Christmas.
>>
>>50688342
Christmas is just a universal concept along the lines of Math or Language, and every civilization will develop Christmas if given the time to do so.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.