[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 26

File: hLjKA10.jpg (125KB, 1163x686px) Image search: [Google]
hLjKA10.jpg
125KB, 1163x686px
Previous Thread: >>50680507
>Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
>News
www.drivethrurpg.com/sale.php?affiliate_id=13&src=WW
www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199280/Secrets-of-the-Covenants?affiliate_id=498510
www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199275/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Hurt-Locker?affiliate_id=498510
>Mage 2e Errata
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxveHUKxwBU9UUZ4UjZJdEhIM2c/view?usp=sharing
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/chronicling-a-dark-year-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question
Alright pick your least favorite gameline, now what idea did it introduce that you enjoyed?
>>
Beast's Lairs are neat.
>>
>>50684706
Seconded.
>>
Chronicles of fagness
>>
Manic Brutality (•••):Your character lashes out with a singleminded determination to destroy. Her all-out unarmed attacks
have a +1 bonus to hit specified targets. If she’s using a weapon
then she may substitute its Durability for its weapon bonus.
>Drawback: If she’s using a weapon, then all damage taken
by her opponent is also applied directly to the weapon’s
Structure.

This sounds like a lot of bullshit. By RAW the Structure of, say, a battle axe would be about 6 (steel's Durability 3 + Size 3). Therefore dealing 6 or ore damage (easily possible with a +3 weapon) destroys it.

Is it supposed to work like that?

The styles are overall full of stupid (like the dot in Bowmanship that lets you decrease the damage value of a bow to an arbitrary number for a fixed +1 bonus), but this jumped out at my group the most.
>>
>>50684468
>Alright pick your least favorite gameline, now what idea did it introduce that you enjoyed?

The fact that i can reffer to Deviant as Deviant the artening.

And geist has a cool key mottiff i guess.
>>
Best host coming through

>>50684468
I guess Mummy's idea of waking up powerful and getting weaker is neat.
>>
I kinda wish all of Secrets of the Covenants had been like the Carthian chapter and explored what various domains across the globe looked like. You could basically play Hanoi right out of the book.

I don't think the person who wrote the San Diego chapter has ever read a single thing about the city, let alone visited or lived there.
>>
>>50684468

I'm not terribly fond of Werewolf, but I absolutely loved Hunting Ground: Sumer and the campaign frame it introduced.

>>50685889
>not liking Mummy
>>
How much time until we see some crunch from Hunter 2e?
>>
>>50685937
They JUST asked if people would like to see a Hunter2e kickstarter. So maybe by 2030.
>>
>>50685902

Honestly I would have preferred the kind of info Carthian chapter puts down, just without the in-character zine stuff. I think following the lead of the Clanbooks for the book's setting and fictional material was not the best decision for the first book in a new line. I always appreciate OPP/WW's dedication to making the rule books enjoyable to read, but I think when it comes to X and Y splats, it's better to write about them out-of-setting for dedicated splatbooks.
>>
>>50685922
How would you pitch Mummy to someone who has no interest in it in 3 sentences or less?
>>
>>50686016

It's a game that breaks a lot of the rules you've come to expect out of a roleplaying narrative and it lets you explore damn near any part of history all in the course of the same chronicle with the same cast.

Also, it lets you indulge your Egyptomanical tendencies, should you have them.
>>
>>50686111
How would you pitch Egypt to someone who has no interest in it in three sentences or less?
>>
>>50684468
>Alright pick your least favorite gameline, now what idea did it introduce that you enjoyed?

Since people already picked Beast and Lairs, I'll go with Mummy. I really liked the way in Mummy how they found a way to work in all the little pop culture details from shambling corpses that protect tombs who move so slowly but always seem to be right on you, to why Imhotep looks more human as the movie goes on, to GRAND PHARAOH MAGIC AND CURSE
>>
So I'm making plans for running a V:tM game, and I want to make some clarifications about True Faith. Firstly, I want to make it clear that Faith scores for mortals are not dependent on their Humanity; True Faith will reasonably often accompany vile deeds (the Society of Leopold is a major enemy here, after all). Only vampires need Humanity 9 to use it, because it represents how tightly one's Beast is controlled; True Faith is anathema to the Beast, which is why it harms vampires.
As a corollary to this, there are also certain Paths of Enlightenment that will give access to True Faith with a rating of 9 or 10. The ones that use both Conviction and Instinct are all too selfish or too involved with embracing vampirism itself for Faith to manifest, but ones that use Conscience, Self-Control or both just use alternative ethical codes that Faith can find itself in; I don't think anyone's imagination would be taxed by a vampire on the Path of Blood, Paradox or Sutekh wielding True Faith. How does this sound?

As a sidenote, how do I weed out potentially problematic players early, since I need to find people online and don't have a ready stable?
>>
>>50686111
But can I set my chronicle in a time where I can kill/replace the idea of Hathor with Isis or myself.
>>
>>50686749
You absolutely can. Irem predates Egypt by a good long while. Egypt is a pale reflection.
>>
>>50686592

Coolest gods in the ancient world and a pretty damn compelling aesthetic.

>>50686749

Irem predates Egypt significantly, though the Egyptians kind of misappropriate their gods.

And it's Het-Heru and Aset, if you're really being cool.I'm working on some pagan nonsense for myself with Het-Heru.
>>
>>50685015
Structure is Durability+Size.
Breaking a weapon in exchange for hire damage is not a bad trade off, and also awesome from a narrative standpoint.
I love the fighting styles. The one that other archery one has a dot that lets you dodge a melee attack and hit someone with your bow, and Two Weapon Fighting is a creative solution to avoiding some of the flaws of multiple attacks.

>>50686934
>Coolest gods in the ancient world and a pretty damn compelling aesthetic.
You're going to have to pitch harder than that.
>>
Trying to think of really simple ways to fuck with a martial arts Mage in my game.
The simpler the better.

Can anyone do better than increasing her clothing's Durability while also deceasing its pliability, so he can't even move?
>>
>>50687070
Life Magic to give yourself Arcane Steroids.
Space Magic to open portals in space/time and hit guys across the street.
Forces magic to cover yourself in fire as you wrestle people.
>>
>>50685902
>I kinda wish all of Secrets of the Covenants had been like the Carthian chapter and explored what various domains across the globe looked like. You could basically play Hanoi right out of the book.

Isnt the Carthian chapter reviled as it just paint the whole covenant anarchs and little else?

Speaking of which has anyone uploaded Secrets of the covenants or Hurt locker?
>>
>>50687119
Something being reviled by this thread isn't an indicator of quality.
>>
>>50687119

Narrator tone aside, Hanoi's section probably makes it the easiest of the in-universe chapters to use for your game.
>>
>>50687106
No, I mean mess with the martial artist, not enhance her abilities.

Stuff like making her forget her martial arts skills (mind), rendering her incapable of feeling aggressive thoughts towards the target (mind), massively increasing the pain receptors in her hands such that one punch feels like breaking every tiny little bone in her hand (life), manipulating gravity to pull her into the middle of the room suspended in such a way as to not be able to touch anything (forces), manipulating space in front of you so her punches veer off at a 90 degree angle, making her trip over her own feet (Fate).

Nothing that's permanently crippling
>>
>>50687156
Time Magic to create a miniature anomaly so everything they do is in slow motion.
>>
>>50687149

I didn't find it terribly grating, and I loathe anarchism.

But yeah, Hanoi is basically playable right out of the book. I'd kill to play it, especially with flashbacks to the 60s.
>>
>>50686981
>Structure is Durability+Size
That's how I calculated it, yes.

>Breaking a weapon in exchange for hire damage is not a bad trade off, and also awesome from a narrative standpoint.

It's utterly stupid. Are you suggesting that berserkers break their weapons in one-two hits? It's not even modified by durability, going straight to structure.
>>
File: 1352436601768.jpg (1MB, 1024x1599px) Image search: [Google]
1352436601768.jpg
1MB, 1024x1599px
>>50687221
>It aint me intensifies.
Can I play Pic Related as an Invictus Knight and clean up those dirty commie Carthians?
>>
>>50686699
Write a brief setting guide, short and sweet, that you want potential players to read.

In the middle of it, tell the player to add a certain word on their character sheet to confirm they read it.
>>
>>50687274

Given that it would focus on native Vietnamese and that any American Kindred left in the city would likely be killed, probably not. Thought it could be fun to tie in some CIA fuckery, the Dreamers from Hurt Locker, Changeling, Hotel Mascaron, and Delta Green, but at that point things have gone a little bonkers.
>>
>>50687221

You got a sense of Anarchism out of the book? New York's Carthians kind of struck me as overly idealistic, self-sabotaging direct democracy types applying an artificial punk edge than anything else. Granted I've only read the chapter once, so it's safe to say that I might not have picked up all the details.
>>
>>50687244
>berserkers break their weapons in one-two hits

Yes yes they do
>>
>>50687354

I think they're the sort of punks who like the sound of the word anarchism, but that could just be my bias against the Carthians sneaking in. There was a refreshing bit of cynicism wrt the Movement, which I appreciated hearing.
>>
>>50687436

Never trust New York's Carthians, they'll just wait for your city to fail to live up to their high standards and then extract some of your people when you're not looking.

Granted all the examples in the book was shit that went way wrong but I'm just saying.
>>
>>50687431
...Seriously? Have you ever seen a fire axe? It's extremely fucking hard to break that shit, especially on something relatively soft like humans. For that matter, have you seen a fucking tetsubo?
>>
>>50687244
>Are you suggesting that berserkers break their weapons in one-two hits when using a fighting style maneuver specifically meant to be incredibly overpowering and pushing their weapons to the limit?
Yes.
>>50687553
Also, since improvised weapons use the lower of Durability or Size as their damage, you want to use it with that more so than a proper weapon like an battle axe (or fireaxe), which already has a Damage of 3. It's not that different from Breaking Point from the Improvised Weapon Style.

>>50687354
Anarchism as a political philosophy is all about democracy.
https://youtu.be/hFYwAmKZCbM

>>50687436
>Bias against Carthians
Carthians are the best, though.
>>
>>50687575

The Circle is the best Covenant, silly.
>>
>>50687575
>Also, since improvised weapons use the lower of Durability or Size as their damage, you want to use it with that more so than a proper weapon like an battle axe (or fireaxe), which already has a Damage of 3. It's not that different from Breaking Point from the Improvised Weapon Style.

I am not speaking from a meta standpoint here. It's a Berserker style that doesn't let you to make a typical norse berserker, with an axe (which is relevant, for instance, for the Dark Eras) which is what you'd expect the style to fucking model with some level of fidelity!

But you cannot be a berserker with an axe, mechanically, because your axe will break in 1-2 strikes. Awesome.

(Interestingly, were you to use this style with Mage and have a weapon made out of siderite, which is literally nigh indestructible, the weapon would STILL break, because the damage somehow magically bypasses durability.)
>>
>>50687553
>berserks always have awesome weapons
>>
>>50687575
>>50687652
Objective covenant ranking:
Ordo Dracul > Lancea et Sanctum (if played correctly) > Circle of the Crone >>> Invictus > Carthians >>> Lancea et Sanctum if played how most people probably play them (stand-ins for their fundamentalist parents)
>>
>>50687760
>awesome weapons
>hardwood club with iron inlays
An exceedingly awesome weapon it ain't.
>>
>>50687861
skill does not imply material
material does not imply skill
>>
>>50687887
Yes, I meant the generic examples of the item. Obviously. My point is that it's (at some points extremely) hard to break a stout staff, piece of rebar, or a fire axe on a human body. Especially in two strikes -- the body would yield first.
>>
>>50687913
I'd suggest saying that instead of the other ridiculous assertion you tried to pull
>>
>>50687553
What fuckin Berserkers break using some nip weapon?
>>
>>50688116
That's the one I remembered offhand. Imagine a morningstar or a flanged metal mace if you wish.
>>
File: tumblr_lm1ba7ohTn1qcz0ay.gif (493KB, 280x225px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lm1ba7ohTn1qcz0ay.gif
493KB, 280x225px
So I did a thing. Maybe you'll find it interesting
It all started, about 3 months ago with my DnD group complaining how bored they're become of their system. They've all been playing long enough that they know all the mechanics, all the monsters, and the game was becoming very rote. I'd never had the chance to play more then one on one sessions of requiem before, but it was rare chance so I jumped in with both feet. I set up a time to get them all together to talk about what it was they were look to get out of the game, which ended up taking like 6 hours because most of them were looking for different things. For all but one or two, the biggest thing they wanted to get away from, was their knowledge of the system and mechanics. So I helped them build concepts for their characters, then fill in the bare essentials of the character sheet.

I told them they'd be playing as vampires but they'd start off as humans first. I explained about the setting being a darker version of our world. I let them know there are supernatural creatures but that their character don't believes in them. I made sure I knew any topics that the player wouldn't be willing to play with.

Then I scheduled the first session.

I gave them no source book, no mechanics, and especially not knowledge about how vampires work in this setting. We've now played through 4 sessions, it's gotten really bumpy a couple of times, but over all I'd have to say it's going pretty well so far. Players all say they're having a lot of fun, I'm actually having trouble scheduling everybody together often enough to satisfy them.

Anyone else try anything like this before? Either way pointers, concerns, things I may not have considered. Any kind of constructive input at all. Questions also welcome.
>>
>>50687575
>>50687652
>>50687811

>No one saying the correct answer, Belial's Brood
>>
>>50684468
First off:
>>50684706
is 100% correct; they're the best thing about Beast

I also like the idea of a character that turns into a big monster, but Beast did a bad job of it.
>>
>>50688532
Oh sorry I forgot about them
Every other covenant >>>>> Belial's Brood
>>
File: Stitch - OH OH OH.gif (970KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
Stitch - OH OH OH.gif
970KB, 500x280px
>>50688532
>>
>>50687668
The book explicitly says that it's not taking supernatural bullshit into account, so don't even try that. And you don't have to use that power.
But me, personally? I think smashing a big fucking axe on someone is awesome. I actually think it should *add* Durability, instead of use that instead.
>>50687913
The point is that you're a fucking berserker and you're beating someone so hard it bends the metal to the point of uselessness.

>>50688331
Neat. How are they doing their powers or getting to know how Disciplines or the Vampire template work? You might want to have them know a little bit of the system, though. When I first sprang a condition on a player who's never really played RPGs, she thought it meant her character was fucked up.
>>
Does anyone have a PDF of the 2e core / any splat rules, except it's JUST the crunchy bits, the mechanical rules? Like "x check is done by y + z attributes" "forcing doors requires b successes over c days."

That kind of stuff.
>>
>>50688797
You'd have to make one, there is no official 'no fluff just mechanics' version.
>>
>>50688797
You mean a cheatsheet?
I have one for Werewolf, that's about it.
>>
>>50688782
well they have experience with Dnd, so not totally new to RPGs
as for template and powers, mostly trial and error, they fell asleep hurt and woke up healed and hungry. they've also seen other vampires do things and tried to copy them. One of them got dominated and couldn't talk all night, but has sense figured out how to use the first level of dominate on people.
>>
http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/kurieg/bellum-maga/#1
Would buy.
>>
>>50690135
I got maybe half a page through and had to stop. I thought my writing was bad but I'm Shakespeare reincarnated compared to this..
>>
>>50690135
I remember reading that reciew once. Aren't the supposedly evil patriarchs just taking their turn at ruling mankind after the witches did the same?
>>
>>50689070
Yup! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thx anon
>>
>>50688331
Yeah. I've introduced two friends to rpg's via WoD. One of them was very sceptic at first.

It truly was my best chroonicle ever. I think both ran 9 sessions. I never got them together though, due to story reasons.

Best thing was: I started them out as mortals, with plans towards embracing them. Here's the thing though: they reactted very appropriate IC. As in: they their charcters thougght (both of them, separately): fuck this shit. They consistently ran away from/fought their prospective sires. And they were succesful as fuck.

Eventueally I got one of them, he got bit by a hollow Mekhet. The other guy burned the Daeva chasing him to a crisp, when he ffound out where her trailer was parked for the day.

It was fucking awesome. They outsmarted me on so many occasionns
>>
What is gonzo?
>>
>>50686699
>So I'm making plans for running a V:tM game, and I want to make some clarifications about True Faith. Firstly, I want to make it clear that Faith scores for mortals are not dependent on their Humanity; True Faith will reasonably often accompany vile deeds (the Society of Leopold is a major enemy here, after all). Only vampires need Humanity 9 to use it, because it represents how tightly one's Beast is controlled; True Faith is anathema to the Beast, which is why it harms vampires.
> As a corollary to this, there are also certain Paths of Enlightenment that will give access to True Faith with a rating of 9 or 10. The ones that use both Conviction and Instinct are all too selfish or too involved with embracing vampirism itself for Faith to manifest, but ones that use Conscience, Self-Control or both just use alternative ethical codes that Faith can find itself in; I don't think anyone's imagination would be taxed by a vampire on the Path of Blood, Paradox or Sutekh wielding True Faith. How does this sound?

Sounds good, but I'd say that the paths that make use of Conscience are far more likely to gain "access" to True Faith than ones that merely make use of Self-Control, since conscience and True Faith are closely linked if you ask me. If someone believes that there is no right or wrong (and more importantly, that there are no right or wrong actions for them to take), I find it harder to believe that they'd have the necessary faith to acquire *True* Faith.

So, I'd personally say that the following paths would have the *easiest* time of acquiring and using True Faith, though they obviously wouldn't be the only ones:

Path of Humanity
Path of Harmony
Path of Honorable Accord
Path of Redemption
Path of Ecstasy
Path of Penitence
Path of Tears
Path of Chivalry
Sharia El-Sama
>>
A bit unrelated but I am now in a campaign of Ars Magicka and Mark Rein-Hagen is one of the players.
Played first session last sunday, hope that he will run Vampire for us one day.
>>
>>50685015
>Bowmanship
Doesn't that allow even burst shooting?

>>50687811
Agreed.

>>50688331
Sounds cool. For freshly embraced characters this should work well. How do they manage not to solve everything DnD style (killing)?

>>50690894
>The other guy burned the Daeva chasing him to a crisp, when he ffound out where her trailer was parked for the day.
She deserved that for living in a trailer. What self-respecting vampire would do that?
>>
>>50691786
>She deserved that for living in a trailer. What self-respecting vampire would do that?
>Not being aware of the lord of paradise lake
Granted, he's one of the Ven. But that shouldn't detract from the point made, far from it.

But yeah, the thing was that the vampires (I as an ST) consistenly and sincerely underestimated the danger of a determined mortal.
>>
Are nazi-vampires a thing in cofd?
>>
>>50692438
I can certainly see a fair few of them existing.
They'll likely have spent a reasonably great period of the intervening 71+ years in Topor.
>>
>>50692438
In my game they are. Carthian fascists, equating vampires with the ubermensch.
>>
>>50691281

It's a term for when games get wild and wacky with their themes and events. A good video game example is putting Fallout: New Vegas on Wild Wasteland mode.
>>
>>50691286
Makes sense. I, personally, though, would say that the Path of Sutekh probably should use Conscience, since Theophidians clearly do believe in right (liberation and enlightenment) and wrong (the Aeons and spiritual slavery). Of course, I prefer to make a few tweaks to the Path anyway to make it more interesting and to add internal consistency. The main one I make is replacing the sin "Failing to take advantage of another's weakness" with "purposeless killing of another" (because death robs the chance for another to achieve enlightenment), in part because I think it's vastly too broad a sin to sit at Level 2.
>>
>>50686016
Hold on, let me try.

Cause a stir among mortals with your cosmic powers and live to face the consequences.
Shape and lead your Cults across the ages like Dungeon Keeper.
Bring your order to the world through bronze age justice and worship of your dread gods.
>>
>>50690894
That sounds really fun. How did their would-be sires think of them at the end?
>>
>>50692438
Yeah. There is the example of one rather major Ordo Dracul bloodline who threw themselves along the Nazis. They liked the eugenics part.
There are also werewolves (Ivory Claws AND Predator Kings), and Mages (Seers and the Jnanamukti faction of the Mysterium).
>>
>>50693527
Well, the Daeva was pretty dead. As I said. She was pretty determined to get him embraced, though. Right up untill the end. He had that fighter's mentality that would've made a great Lost Boy out of the guy.

The Mekhet was a scared and lost nomadic neonate. She tried to embrace the PC because she hoped he could help her make sense of the land she found herself in (She arrived on a ship, not wholly voluntarily, smugglers shenanigans). In the end she got him. But was a bit disappointed that he chose not to be a very big help. He thought he had other stuff to do and he was kind of mad at her. She, on the other hand, was loathe to bring him to final death. As her willpower was alreadyr unning quite low.
>>
>>50684468

The changleing series idea of a power structire that relies on constant exchange of power is pretty interesting. Makes for an easy way to have power struggles without the simple solution of "taking over the big organization", since all the courts are required to keep the defense of the area strong.
>>
>>50694795
Why do you hate Changeling?
>>
>>50691786
.How do they manage not to solve everything DnD style

Well right now most npc's are stronger then them, so killing hasn't been much of an option
>>
>>50692460
I don't understand how you can have Carthian fascists. Their entire philosophy is based on equality and anarchist thought during the French Revolution, and their magic powers are democratic. Fascism is a system with inherent heirarchies and the Carthians are against heirarchies. That would be like having Invictus--the group all about heirarchy and strict order--with an Anarcho-Syndicalist philosophy where the only government is ad-hoc and no man--or vamp--is another's master.

Like, if you want bad guy Carthians, it's not even hard. You don't have to ignore all the themes of Carthians, just focus on them. Democracy is kind of a shit show, and requires you to either convince, cajole, or cow approval, or you act on the united will of the people, which could just be based on antagonism more than anything else. There's also the way that similar but slightly different leftist movements will fight over minor quibbles, something the Carthians already have as one of their traits. Hell, 4chan would be better as Carthian fodder than Nazis. Sure, there's not much difference sometimes, but instead of direct admitted fascism, you get things like shouting people into silence in the name of "free speech". I've seen plenty of times that Liberals have attacked people to the left of them, because pronouns/safe spaces/trigger warnings/criticism of video games are badwrongevil and must be stopped before ~censorship~ comes and we're all put into the Tumblr approved deathcamps, the reality of the situation be damned.

Of course, that kind of antagonist really only works if you're also a Carthian. Most internet personalities that spend their time railing on the evils of straw feminism don't tend to do much attacking of the people actually in power, even if they don't identify with them. But I'm sure you can find a different thing for them to kill over.

It's a lot more reasonable than the Revolutionaries to be dressed in Hugo Boss. Unless you divorced Nazism from Hitler, maybe.
>>
>>50696700
Nahh. The key is that they believe in equality amongst vamps. Fascism can be democratic, Hitler rose to power because of it. Thing is that there is a very definition of what constitutes an individual with the rights to vote. It's about the definition of what is an equal. Also. Ubermensch. Hellloooo
>>
>>50696700
Also: believing in equality =|= not believing in hierarchies. Even those French Revolutionaries had sergeants and corporals and what not. kbai
>>
>>50696790
*a very narrow definition of what is an equal
>>
>>50696790
>Ubermensch

Übermensch
>>
>>50696700
>I don't understand how you can have Carthian fascists
The book explicitly explains that Carthians just have to adhere to a Human government and be extremely political. Why not have the Vampire 4th Reich. Hell you could argue that Vamparism is just a new type of human. A better human and to survive they have to feed on the Kine which deserve to be rounded up in Concentration camps.
>>
Are there any "old" vampires in the carthian movement?
>>
>>50697024
JaTavious Kendricks

He was born in 2008 and send back in time
>>
>>50691420
What edition do you play? I'm curious if MRH has kept up with/approves of the way Ars has developed since he left it.
>>
>>50696700

Fascism was born out of stapling right-wing nationalism and authoritarianism to Syndicalist thought, so it's honestly not that hard to see some Carthians eventually recreate Fascism from first principles, especially since their deal is that there isn't a form of government they won't end up trying if it means they can break free from the usual heirarchies, usually meaning Invictus heirarchies.
>>
>>50697024
I'm sure some original Carthians who were neonates during the French and American revolutions are still around.
>>
>>50696700
You should read the Fascist Manifesto of 1919
>>
>>50696700
>I don't understand how you can have Carthian fascists

>TFW you forget people often are complete hypocrites, power corrupts, and Carthians view humans as the means of production, not the proletariat.
>>
>>50698253
>>50696790
>>50696818
>>50696861
>>50697244
>Carthians view humans as the means of production, not the proletariat.
Actually the quote was
>There’s a difference between vampire revolutionaries who see humans as the proletariat, and vampire revolutionaries who see humans as the means of production. –Greg Stolze
So there are some who see the humans as the proles. But you're missing my point. Even if you ignore the humans (as you should, you blood sucking leech) fascism is all about having strict leadership. One of the core concepts of fascism is that democracy is obselete. It's all about having a strong singular dictator and a country that follows the will of the ruler.

Carthianism *is* all about equality among vampires. I've pointed this out before, but political anarchism is *not* against all form of authority, it's against authority that can't justify itself. Sergeants and corporals in a time of revolution can justify itself.

I'm not even arguing against "Vampires are better than humans". I'm arguing about specifically a fascist ideology for Carthians. There's more to Hitler's National Socialism than "Germans are best".

It's not even about hypocrisy, either. Although, I suppose it's likely for Carthians to *be* Fascist but not *identify* as fascist, which is more what I was getting at in my post.

>>50697487
If only the ideology didn't move from progressive to totalitarian. Or are you implying Carthians could do the same? I mean, sure, I said that or at least tried to, but I feel like it's more likely that they'd go the route of Tumblr or Anonymous and devolve into infighting and hunting shadows, lashing out at perceived threats. Or if they got into power, something more like Stalinism (duh)
>>
File: CarthiansZoom.jpg (518KB, 661x1000px) Image search: [Google]
CarthiansZoom.jpg
518KB, 661x1000px
>>50698872
>Or if they got into power, something more like Stalinism (duh)
As opposed to identifying with Nazis, I mean. Carthians by and large are practically emblazoned with the hammer and sickle, and wear red stars.
It's just super weird for them to be identifying with the poster children for fascism and right wing totalitarianism and being against equality.

Then again I suppose these are immortal parasites we're talking about, so I hadn't considered Carthians who are old enough to have been part of Naziism before it became a universal symbol. In the 30s, it's not like people were calling their politicians Nazis as a generic pejorative. Though it would still be weird for people with LITERAL DEMOCRACY MAGIC to be against democracy, which Nazism was.

I'm just saying, though, that even if you want Carthian bad guys, there are better ways to play to their strengths and themes.
>>
>>50698872

We understand your point. It is still not difficult or impossible to imagine an openly Fascist Carthian wing, especially during the heyday of the early 20th century. Democracy is not the only form of system Carthians would want to consider, since out of all the Covenants, they are the most likely to change from Domain to Domain in terms of their core ideals.

>>50699062

Carthian Law can easily be changed into a form that expresses The Will to Vampiric Power or whatever nonsense this theoretical wing would develop. If it is truly powered by people agreeing on things, then it can easily shift its form to fit the politics of the masses, especially if it's actually some kind of strange blood magic the Carthians have stumbled upon.
>>
>>50699212
The Carthians get their power from Democracy. If there's no Democracy, there's no Carthian Law.
It doesn't make sense that they'd be Fascist because their ideals are antifascist. Saying they might consider fascism simply because they're the most different between Domains doesn't give a reason for them to try fascism.

And it's not that they'll try any mortal political philosophy.
>The big picture: The Carthian Movement uses the ideologies of the living to bring democracy to the dead. Anyone who disagrees with that gets their haven firebombed
They want vampire equality. They're going to look to mortal philosophies that at the very least pay lip service to equality and democracy.
>>
>>50699482

>If there's no Democracy, there's no Carthian Law

While the name might have to be changed, the power itself would probably still work, given that Carthian Law seems to work universally for the Covenant.

>They want vampire equality.

Given the nature of the vampire, it is not difficult to present an idea of vampire equality that is equivalent with Fascism. "We are all equal in our struggle against subversive forces" is just as good a rally for equality as any.

Though you're right after all, they wouldn't embrace just any philosophy. They certainly would avoid feudalism, considering that that's the Invictus's schtick.
>>
>>50699482
Hitler payed lipservice. Look, I get your point with fascism being a strong man ideology. But the strongman usually legitimizes himself through some appeal to the will of a people. That suffices in my book, for a Carthian ideology
>>
File: 1411264482602.jpg (183KB, 763x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1411264482602.jpg
183KB, 763x1000px
New GM here, been running a Cofd/CoC game for the past few months. Had a quick question. How do you keep up with all this shit going on in the world of darkness, all the splats, monsters, realms, bloodlines, powers, lodges. I've been reading through and it's begun to get a bit overwhelming.
>>
>>50699062
>Stalinism is democratic guyz!
>>
>>50699803
It's a toolkit. You decide what exists and what doesn't.
>>
>>50699810
No, but Stalinism is a much more reasonable outcome for a Carthian controlled city than Nazism, what with Carthians being all Communist.
>>
>>50699482
You say that, but it isn't true, Carthian Law doesn't have to be democratic, check out the Carthian law rules in the covenant book from 1e.
>>
>>50699874
But anon, not all carthians are communist.

Also:
>No
then according to your reasoning Carthian Law shouldn't work for these fucks
>>
>>50699869
I'd like all gaming's besides Beast and Deviant to exist. But it's alot to keep track of.
>>
>>50699922
Then you've brought this on yourself. Stop complaining about being overwhelmed.
>>
>>50699874
>Carthians being all Communist
Anachronistic much.
>Contre les vampires patriacals
>Published 1779
>Communist manifesto
>Published 1848
>>
Invictus > carthian
>>
>>50699922
Deviant doesn't exist yet.
>>
>>50700129
Which is why my group doesn't use it.
>>
>>50700009
My point is that Carthian ideology and iconography borrows heavily from radical left wing philosophies like communism, so it's much more likely that they'd mirror a left wing socialist political faction that turned right wing totalitarian, much more than something like Nazism, which was directly and openly about right wing nationalism and authoritarianism.

If you want antagonist Carthians, just have them be in the vein of John Stewart Mill's colonialist ideals of benevolent despotism applied to vampirism.
>Manarchist/Brocialist Carthians

>>50700109
Taste the sun, fucker.
>>
>>50699482
>If there's no Democracy, there's no Carthian Law

Carthian Democracy:

Two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
>>
>>50700167
Wow I didn't know it was badwrongfun to play a fascist Carthian, a thing supported in the covenant book at least a little :^)
>>
>>50700167

>My point is that Carthian ideology and iconography borrows heavily from radical left wing philosophies like communism, so it's much more likely that they'd mirror a left wing socialist political faction that turned right wing totalitarian, much more than something like Nazism, which was directly and openly about right wing nationalism and authoritarianism.

Fascism was born out of a fusion of left-wing and right-wing ideas as a reaction to the perceived failures of materialism, democracy, capitalism, and Marxism. These included ideas from Anarchists, Syndicalists, and Communists. That doesn't make it related to those three in the slightest now, but it does make it so that Fascism also sees itself as a revolutionary ideal. The Carthians, at the end of the day, are all about revolution.

If the actual philosophy could be born from some misapplied thoughts and theories of people like Mikhail Bakunin, it's not hard to see how the Carthians could manifest a Fascist ideology and even come to identify as such.

You're probably right in that you most likely wouldn't see a full on Neo-Nazi Carthian, but there's more forms of Fascism than Nazism.

The whole point to this is that someone shouldn't feel like they have to play in the left-wing politics pool with the Carthians, especially the Covenant almost certainly mutates away from its ideals when exposed to any actual city. A Carthian villain or antagonist shouldn't always have to be Some Person You Don't Like On Twitter.
>>
>>50700194
Basically, yeah.

>>50700203
Just took a quick skim and it is indeed a very "little".

>>50700478
>You're probably right in that you most likely wouldn't see a full on Neo-Nazi Carthian, but there's more forms of Fascism than Nazism.
I know. Stalinism is one of those forms, and something I listed. Hell, the Alt-Right is pretty fascist, though they're also just Neonazis, but they focus more on the nationalism and are willing to let in minorities that agree to support them (Tila Tequila, for instance). If you're going to have fascist Carthians, they've got to be convinced that they *aren't* fascists. Like I said, benevolent despotism. "I know what's best, so shut the fuck up and let me make you all equal or I'll kill you".

That said, I actually do think that 4chan and Tumblr and Twitter's more toxic aspects are great inspiration for antagonistic Carthians.
And this is coming from someone who *likes* the Carthians and most of the political philosophies they draw from.
>>
>>50700579

Stalinism is not fascism, it's a left-wing authoritarian tendency. Fascists actually want to create a benevolent despotism. They are open about doing so, and how this is a revolutionary act, placing it well within the potential places that a local Carthian faction could take.

>I actually do think that 4chan and Tumblr and Twitter's more toxic aspects are great inspiration for antagonistic Carthians

Or, you know, the actual acts political revolutionaries of all stripes do to take power, as opposed to petty internet fights between shitty internet people. Someone shitposting and retweeting something from Chapo isn't all that inspiring compared to the set up for the October Revolution, the Beer Hall Pustch, or how the LaRouchites try to infiltrate the American Democratic Party.
>>
If my gnosis 4 spirit 4 mage wants to jump across the gauntlet into the shadow in the middle of a city.

Would it be (1-5)+3 default potency -1+2 for a final potency of 1 roll 6 dice.

Or would it be (1-3)+3 default potency 1 roll 8 dice.
>>
I am going to play a darkages templar in 1242, what are some cool things to have done/to make the char fun?
>>
>>50701224
>Someone shitposting and retweeting something from Chapo isn't all that inspiring compared to the set up for the October Revolution, the Beer Hall Pustch, or how the LaRouchites try to infiltrate the American Democratic Party.
That's not the kind of thing I meant.
I meant Gamergate, almost everything 4chan has done, tumblr harassing people who whitewash cartoon character fan art, and the Atheists who traded bashing religion for harassing feminists.
>>
>>50701404
que
>>
>>50701722
The book lists gauntlet strength with a dice modifier. Do you use the dice modifier or the strength number to calculate spell potency?
>>
>>50701668

Right. Petty and shitty internet drama, as opposed to things revolutionaries do. Some of that's fine for small fry antagonists, but I'd like more out of the dark side of a Carthian than That Fuckhead On Social Media.
>>
>>50701668
oh my god is aspel back?
>>
>>50699803

You dont, avoid crossover.
>>
>>50701785
Most of them want to be revolutionary or are part of larger revolutionaries.
I mean, it's not even out of character:
>When we are in power: Our ideologies triumphant, Carthian purges and executions begin. Vampires who surrender and recant their former allegiances should expect to be closely watched by Carthian thought police, lest they end up mindcontrolled or bound by blood bonds. Nonetheless, they’re allowed in — a successful Carthian state grows by bringing vampires outside the covenant into the fold. Yet it’s often at this point, when we have won, that we are at our least united. We Firebrands are well aware that power corrupts, and many of us are as willing to remove our own governments as those of the Invictus.
The Carthians are just as likely to tear each other apart for perceived lack of ideological purity.

>>50701796
I never left.
>>
File: 2721.png (190KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
2721.png
190KB, 500x279px
>>50701819
>how to be wrong in 4 easy words
>>
>>50701946
What about taking out the comma?
>>
>>50701819
>>50701946
In general crossovers should be used sparingly. Each game line has its own themes that are typically quite different from those of the other lines, there's no sense diluting them. The exception, of course, is Hunter, which really calls for using the other lines (but as antagonists).
>>
How much pvp is there in your games?
>>
>>50701979
In the Hunter game I ran the only player character deaths happened at the hands of other players. I wouldn't recommend it though, PvP generally detracts from the game unless the ST and players go in expecting it; it can piss players off and it probably just ends up wasting the time of any players not involved.
>>
>>50701926

That they play at being revolutionaries doesn't make those rather small inspiration compared to actual revolutions and their aftermaths. It's not that they aren't important, it's just that compared to the other factions, it limits the Carthian creative space.

>The Carthians are just as likely to tear each other apart for perceived lack of ideological purity

Party purges and things like that are great examples for the Carthians. Some weirdo on the internet making a Twitter thread not so much.
>>
Giving serious thought to creating a Life & Prime mage for an upcoming mixed nWoD game.
As in players will be a mox of Mages, Vamps, Werewolves etc.

I'm liking Life magic a lot as it's different from my usual style when playing Mage but I much prefer Prime to the Spirit magic.
Is anything stopping me doing this? It's been a while since I've played Mage. Any tips or tricks for this type of character.
I like Life magic but don't really like the "sexy hippie loner" vibe you get from the Thyrsus.
Suggestions welcome.
>>
>>50702150
I feel like you're missing my point here, which is not "literally just Gamergate vampires", it's "these things that people are more familiar with are good examples of how antagonistic Carthians might act".
>>
>>50701926
Son of a bitch.

Guess it's back to politics here again.
>>
>>50702339
>I never left.
People have been talking politics since Secrets of the Covenants released.

Actually, people have only been talking Left wing Carthian politics... I think the only mention of any other Covenant so far has been someone bitching that the Crone were too nice, and that creepy fucker Acolyte with the gold mask made an offhand mention of pronouns.
>>
>>50702524
>Forgetting how Aspel would drag down threads constantly
>>
Daily reminder

Nothing you do online matters
>>
>>50702524
Politics through the lens of vampire society is pretty interesting considering how different yet similar they are to us (a society of paranoid, immortal predators have different needs than us, go figure), but I'm just waiting for it to cross the line into bitching about current politics.
>>
>>50702818
>Banking
>Dating
>Fomenting revolution in the middle east
>Education
>Buying and selling
>Interacting socially with other human beings
> ̶S̶h̶i̶t̶p̶o̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶
>Telecommuting
> ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶u̶r̶b̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶
Anon we're getting to the point where what you do offline doesn't matter.
>>
>>50702273

No, I understand your point. Those still come up as small, petty things compares to the actions of revolutionaries that inspired the Compact. Compared to other antagonists from other Covenants, those examples just don't match up for any characters besides minor NPCs.
>>
>>50687811
Mah (undead) niggah.
>>
>>50703086
>Credit Card Debt
>Your "Girlfriend" in Canada
>HAHA Jews
>Wiki
>Farmville
>Shitposting
> 4Chan
> Telephone
> Education
>>
>>50703241
Not so much the Jews as the CIA really. Though I'm sure the Mossad have their hands in plenty of the unrest in the ME.
>>
>>50703269
>you're CIA

Wow you're a delusional one Anon
>>
>>50703290
Nigga the CIA have been toppling governments and fermenting revolutions since before you and I were born.

Its pretty undeniable they had a hand in Libya, hell even the Huffington Post agree on that. Or we can go even further back to Iraq, or the Mujahideen during the Cold War.
>>
>>50703290
>>50703269
>>50703241
Actually I meant things like the Arab Spring.

Also, I meant legitimate actual banking (though credit card debt is true), actual dating (59% of Americans say online dating is a good way to meet someone, and one third of American marriages began online).
Wiki is only one aspect of online learning. There's quite a bit you can learn from Youtube (particularly anything involving physical assembly), and some educational institutes exist primarily online, like Kahn Academy or Linda.
I also meant real buying and selling (you could have gone with "eBay"). Most social interaction is also online ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶t̶p̶o̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶o̶b̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶l̶y̶). By telecommunication, I also meant, you know, Skype business calls and using Dropbox to work with people in different cities or countries.
>Education
I see what you did there :^)

>>50703382
I think Anon was under the impression the other Anon thinks they're CIA. Or he was baneposting.
>>
>>50703432
>I think Anon was under the impression the other Anon thinks they're CIA. Or he was baneposting.
Fucking baneposting I thought it was dead.
>>
>>50703382
>>50703432
The average user is not the CIA. Anon is not the CIA, Anon is on 4chan. CIA still doesn't understand Anonymous is a handle for the for millions, and that actually hackers and terrorists are mere subcells in the online network. Thus making Anonymous nothing more than another place and another person, with wildly different ideals and talents.

The collective amount of shitposting this board does can not be equated with actually intelligence operations or revolutionary actions. It can be equated with Liking a status. Which does nothing. Therefore nothing here matters, and very few if any Anons here will move a pebble needed to move the mountains of politics or military action.
>>
>>50703559
...What son? I never said I was CIA I was saying the CIA were..you know what forget it. This is just getting too fucking confusing.
>>
>>50703554
You'd think, wouldn't you? But unfortunately you'd be wrong.

>>50703559
Yes, but what's your point? You're arguing against something no one said.
This is a stupid argument.
If we're going to have it, you might as well define what does matter. Let's get ontological.

Or let's not risk the Paradox, and instead talk about the games.
>>
>>50703086
>>Fomenting revolution in the middle east
>>50703595

The implication that Anon is in anyway a power player or acting agent in this matter. If you do not believe the Anon can do such things, I'd highly suggest putting in context
>>
>>50703674
>The implication that Anon is in anyway a power player or acting agent in this matter.
No I didn't.
I also don't do banking, online dating, or telecommuting. Oh, and I'm too poor to buy stuff. I listed things people in general can do on the internet, not what any anon in particular does.
I do masturbate and shitpost, though.
>>
Is there a VtR book that covers New York? I could have sworn there was one..
>>
>>50704537

VtR had a New Orleans book,coverage in Chicago, and then the various settings in 2e. As far as I know, New York has just been in Geist and an upcoming Mage book.
>>
>>50704560
Ah, damn it, always liked New York.
>>
>>50704577

You might be thinking of Masquerade's uncharacteristically good New York by Night, with the Nosferatu Prince who had a massive ghouled sewer gator?
>>
>>50704590
Yeah the gator sounds familiar. Who knows, my memory is probably going to shit and I'm making up books.
>>
Has anyone shared Hurt Locker or Secrets of the Covenants?
>>
How well does 1e material translate to 2e CofD?

I'm in a position to run a mage game in the near future and i'd like to use some antagonists from Intruders and some mechanics from Imperial Mysteries but i'm worried 2e might invalidate them
>>
>>50705209
Most of it works. Just some minor jury-rigging needed.
>>
>>50704537
>>50704560
New York gets a bit of a shout out in Secrets of the Covenants, but only a tiny fraction where they say they're the origin of the Carthian Movement.
(It allegedly comes from "Carthage", but Emmanuel Baptiste Carth seems more reasonable)

>>50705209
Which mechanics in particular? Mostly it's as >>50705383 says. For Mage, you'll likely want to reconsider the powers to fit more inline with 2e's system.
>>
I'm going to playing in a game of Requiem and I'm kind of new to this. I've been reading the lore for the clans trying to make a character and I really came to like the Ventrue, problem is the Ventrue just seem really bad for making someone who can handle themselves in combat, which is the type of character I was hoping to make.

Can Ventrue be good fighters or should I just say fuck it and head to Daeva territory for that sweet Celerity?
>>
>>50705654
The mechanics in particular would be the antagonist stat blocks
>>
>>50705676
Ventrue get in-clan Resilience so if you start with 2 points in that and a base 4 stamina you'll be very durable. Then just take some skill with firearms or weapons or brawl.
>>
>>50705676
>I really came to like the Ventrue
Disgusting.

Jokes aside, why do you feel Ventrue are bad for holding their own in combat? Resilience is fucking gravy in combat, and it's not like you can't take Vigor or Celerity. It's also not like you can't take Strength or Brawl or Weaponry. Hell, you can even take Protean.
The only real limit is that you need two dots of your in-clan points at character creation, but powers aren't that expensive that you're restricted outside of chargen.

Also, while Celerity is good for higher defense, Resilience will help when you do get hit.

Although I am sort of assuming you're playing 2e. I can't remember how Celerity works in 1e, though Resilience is dumb because of how Defense worked.

>>50705841
I don't know what's in the stat blocks. You'll probably have to finagle things like Defense and Resistances, and any powers will need a look over. Weapons (even natural ones) no longer add bonuses to the attack roll, they add automatic successes on a hit. For that, you generally want to lower the damage rating by 1. (So a +3 to the roll becomes an automatic 2 damage).
>>
I'm just throwing this out there. I'm looking for a second (and possibly) third player for a V20 game I'm starting up. A guy from v wanted me to run for him but we've had trouble having anyone else to stick. Prefer small groups but would really like to have atleast one more person.

We're running once a week. I'm on Central American time and it will be starting on Thursday at 5 pm (16.5 hours from now) and go for about 2.5 hours. If anyone would interested, just reply and I'll send you our discord link.
>>
>>50705911
>Ventrue get in-clan Resilience so if you start with 2 points in that and a base 4 stamina you'll be very durable. Then just take some skill with firearms or weapons or brawl.

Okay..so I guess I'm an idiot. I didnt really know Resilience was that good.

>>50705923
>Jokes aside, why do you feel Ventrue are bad for holding their own in combat?

After reading through the lore I started poking around forums and blogs to check out various builds and opinions for inspiration, and I kept reading people saying Ventrue just sucked in combat. Maybe I shouldnt have listened to them so much since apparently they're retarded
>>
>>50705948
I'm in the central time zone and would be in provided you understand that I will need a crash course in the rules and would want to make a true brujah character
>>
>>50705962
I mean it's all relative. Bunch of liquored up ganbangers shooting up your feeding ground? Not really a problem.

Pack of pissed of werewolves in warform 5 feet away? Probably not going to end well.
>>
>>50706130
for reference i am willing to hold off on the true brujah if it is a deal breaker
>>
>>50706158

Come on in, we'll talk in chat rather than on a delay on 4chan.

https://discord.gg/xveAchf
>>
>>50705962
All Clans are capable of holding up their own. Resilence is just pretty uderrated because it's not as flashy as Celerity. What matters is spending your skills well. Consider taking Dominate 1, it's a good utility Discipline and has its uses even in combat.
>>
>>50686699
The Paths of Lilith and Caine are both Conviction and Instinct, I can absolutely see true faith for those.
>>
File: 1457054343406.jpg (382KB, 881x826px) Image search: [Google]
1457054343406.jpg
382KB, 881x826px
Anyone got a cheat sheet/Storyteller screen for cofd?
>>
First time Storyteller with a group of first time WoD players, I'm planning to run Fear-Maker's Promise to start off with. Are there any other Changeling the Lost premades I should look into? Any tips?

I'm unsure of what I should be doing in the beginning before we jump into the actual ritual, should I plan out their escape from Arcadia and meeting up?

General tips would be appreciated too.
>>
>>50702273
>these things that people are more familiar with
you're delusional if you think that most people won't think 'that's a kind of ant, right' when you say 'gamergate'.

I know you live in this echo-chamber bubble. But err, no: those things like 4chan and Tumblr hissy-fits are not more familiar to most people as examples of revolutionary acts. Most people know of the actual revolutions of the 20th ad 21st century.
>>
>>50688201
>>50687431

Funnily, Berserk 3 is more useful as a power of destruction of objects. You can take some superdurable philacteries or something and bash them against the nearest wall and they would be destroyed, because the damage goes straight to structure.
>>
>>50706622
Never cared much for the pre made adventures. Usually, the ST will run a prelude for each of the characters, something short and mostly narrative with a few rolls. Like detailing their escape from Arcadia where the rolls don't decide if they escape, but how.
>>
>>50705962
I think it's more that, for a lot of Venture, combat is beneath them. Fight? That's what neonates and ghouls are for.
>>
>>50706584
Yes
>>
>>50707261
I dunno I can easily picture a Ventrue fencer. Some spaniad who was one of those duelists they had, the name of which slips my mind..
>>
So Belial's Brood got axed in Requiem 2e?
>>
>>50707801
haven't made it in yet, more like

which isn't all together bad, imho. they're quite easy to wing. narratively at least. I don't recall their crunch as particularly interesting. But I might be misremembring
>>
>>50706322
I don't, really. The Path of Caine would never accept taking in human-based anti-vampire magic like that, and I suspect Lilith wouldn't either.
>>
>>50707322
Mind sharing?
>>
So I'm running my next game (Mage 2e) in New York City.

Any good CofD resources related to New York, or big cities in general? Anything specifically related to Mage?

Figuring out the power structure of my Consillium is daunting enough, but I'm also just not super familiar with every part of the city.
>>
>>50709330

Mage 2e is getting a New York setting in a future sourcebook, if you don't mind waiting an indeterminate amount of time.
>>
>>50709421
Only if an indeterminate amount of time is less than a week.
>>
>>50709330
Damnation City has some pretty good city building tools
>>
>>50709456

Unfortunately, no. Geist 1e has a New York write-up, but it's very Geist heavy.
>>
>>50709487
>>50709499
Thanks guys. I'll look into both of those.
>>
>>50704627
Nope. Some scumbag said they'd trade, but didn't.
>>
File: 213421.jpg (119KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
213421.jpg
119KB, 500x350px
>>50689070
Amazing. I want more of this. Do anyone know more?
>>
>>50709330
Dave Brookshaw dropped in some spoilers on the forums:
>New York is the setting for Travis Stout's own Mage chronicle, and we've been dropping references to it since Left Hand Path.

>It is the largest Consilium in the Western world, maybe in the whole world; its territory covers half of New Jersey, the Boroughs of New York City itself and all of Long Island. It has eleven Pentacle Order Caucuses (each Order has at least one full Caucus, most two, some three) and a functioning Nameless Order for the apostates who want to swap rotes but otherwise be left alone. The various sub-Consilia are working on Mysteries of their own, but the big one is that Manhattan is so charged with ley energies its evolving into something. Whole city blocks move, sliding around, but the changes are subject to Quiescence so only the Awakened and Sleepwalkers are aware of it.

>After 9/11, Manhattan became an unexploded bomb. The Seers and Pentacle worked out a short-lived truce to deal with it, but the Seers screwed the Pentacle mages (including the Consilium's arch-Hierarch) over and somehow took control of Manhattan's Mystery. Now the island itself is hostile to Pentacle mages trying to set up shop there, so the Consilium keeps to the other Boroughs and the wider New York / New Jersey states, with some cabals raiding into Manhattan to try to figure out what's going on or recover lost treasures. The locals call what happened "The Folly".

>Awakening second ed's chapter fiction is set in New York. It will get its proper writeup in Tome of the Pentacle.

>Other random facts:

>There's a Free Council cabal of punk musicians called "Join The Seers."
>The new arch-Hierarch is a thearch named Sheshat
>The Interfector is called Outis, and his schtick is he accidentally prevented his own birth during a disastrous time-travel jaunt when an apprentice.
>Various of the Brooklyn-Queens Silver Ladder Caucus have appeared in the Fallen World Anthology and M2e
>>
>>50710557
Do you have a link to the post?
>>
>>50710615
Yes, but I pretty much copied it:
>http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/mage-the-awakening/114668-ask-a-simple-question-awakened-edition?p=970181#post970181
>>
>>50710702
cool thanks
>>
>>50710557

>There's a Free Council cabal of punk musicians called "Join The Seers"

That SA meme really gets around, huh.
>>
>>50710723
Is it really a meme though?
>>
>>50710813

Yes.
>>
Man you know, that whole bit about cutting dicks off the men that join the circle kinda make me not wanna join the Circle.
>>
>>50711232
wat
>>
>>50711232
Where the fuck did you get that from?
Also, this is just a game, you don't join the circle in real life.
You might want to take a step back and get a breather.
>>
>>50711437
>not Extreme LARPing

get the fuck outta here kid
>>
>>50711450
Fuck you Black Leaf.
>>
>>50711437
Pfff, the fuck you talking about niggah? I mean it makes me not wanna play a Circle charecter. And I got it from SotC, the Circle sections narrator had his bits cut off, gets murdered every winter and doesn't even know Curac, the fucking fag.
>>
>>50711541
Fucking SotC.
So this far it has ruined Carthians, Circle, and Lancea? Great.
>>
File: dindu nuffin.png (407KB, 1405x647px) Image search: [Google]
dindu nuffin.png
407KB, 1405x647px
>>50711741
Yo who the fuck wrote the crone section, homie tryin' to slip in a fuckin' meme or somethin'?
>>
>>50711541
>I got it from SotC
There's your problem.
>>
>>50711856
You say that but guys getting their junk cut off and killed for rituals ain't exactly unheard of in 1e either.
>>
>>50712052

Honestly if anyone was gonna do that, it'd be the Acolytes. Body mutilation blood rituals are kind of up their alley.
>>
>>50712353
You say that, but the sanctum is into that kind of stuff as well.
>>
>>50712052
Like in the fiction piece for designing Devotions in Danse Macabre.
>>
>>50711806
its not a meme, it's what everyone says after their children have been killed
>>
>>50711806
>>50711541
Please stop trying to talk "gangsta", it just makes you look like an idiot here.
>>
>>50712507
Please stop trying to lecture other anons, it makes you look like a faggot here.
>>
>>50711541
the circle sections narrator is a woman without cruac who rules hawai
one of her letters was from a man who became prince simply because his circle was loyal to him and killed existing prince because he was being a jerk (and in a yearly rite he gets tortured/mutilated for nights) but he does have cruac
>>
>>50712507
Man what are you talkin' about, thas just how I talk. Didn't know I wasn't allowed to talk like a person on the fukin' internet.

>>50712469
I dunno man, like ya ain't wrong, but I gotta wonder.
>>
>>50712560
Wait, the Circle controls all of Hawaii? That seems a bit much.
>>
>>50712696
they're dominant covenant but others are there
>>
>>50712696
I bet some stupid Circle cult is going to try and awaken their fire mother goddess and set off a volcano.
>>
>>50712833
Fun fact, if you want crossover you can go silly with it. Imperial Mysteries says the Old God of Fire (or something related) is actually imprisoned on Hawaii (with its current mortal shell being a lawyer in Berlin).
>>
>>50711806
Fucking kek. I might even forgive them some of the other crap they slipped in.
>>
TFW there isn't a single Forsaken item on the, "Current projects" tab on the OPP website. Damn, I liked The Pack but I want more bruh.
>>
>>50713893
>tfw we will never have more than two (2) Geist books
>>
>>50714714
Who gives a shit about Geist, it's a dead game :^)
>>
File: Clever.jpg (10KB, 548x451px) Image search: [Google]
Clever.jpg
10KB, 548x451px
>>50714867
Clever anon.
>>
File: portadam.jpg (77KB, 553x736px) Image search: [Google]
portadam.jpg
77KB, 553x736px
My Lasombra meddled wit amind he should've not disturbed. Any tips for an anon who is gonna play a vampire with dementation? (and low schizophrenia, for now just vague voices in my head)

I don't want to become a lolsorandumb Malkavian and I'm fairly sure that's not what my DM expects me to do.
>>
>>50715686
Play VtR instead.
>>
File: vtmtree.png (73KB, 2231x576px) Image search: [Google]
vtmtree.png
73KB, 2231x576px
Well, one of Caine's childer has a really bad track record...
>>
>>50716080
To be fair, we don't know who the Antedliuvian is for Brujah because of the true/normal brujah shit, but one of them is maybe still alive burried under carthage. Cappadocius was diablierzed, Lasombra was 'killed' but it's still around and Ravanos lasted until like 1999?

No idea about Ventru, fuck the Ventrue.
>>
How do making a contract work exactly? Like, say you're gaining a new contract or making a pledge to the Freehold or Court etc. How is the process? I must have missed it somewhere in the book but it doesn't explain. My players want to do prelude coming out of the Hedge and joining the court, so they want that experience first-hand but I can't find any kind of explanation about that.
>>
Im not seeing hurt locker stuff in the pastebin, is the advance text not leaked yet?
>>
>>50712579
Shut the fuck up, nigger.
>>
>>50716672
Make me you fucking wop dago

>>50716532
Not shared yet, either everyones poverty, everyones lazy or no one cares about the poverty fans
>>
>>50688568
>I also like the idea of a character that turns into a big monster, but Beast did a bad job of it.
Good thing you have werewolf. And Changing Breeds if you can stomach it for non-wolfs. And the Protean discipline.
>>
>>50717051
And Demon if you are liberal about how you interpret "big monster"
>>
>>50717098
Demon more than Woof since Werewolves aren't even really -that- big.

Like man, I was really hoping beast would let me play something BIG, sure I'd almost never get to use it without having to fucking leave town in the next hour or do it in the middle of a god damn forest, but it woulda been cool.
>>
>>50717098
Demon's great for playing someone who only acts morally because that's what's required of them. Satisfying the "morality" requirement in the game, while remaining a monster.

They'd love to be a gigantic fucking psycho-killer, and murder everyone who's a threat to their plans, take what they want, and make everyone else's lives a misery for their own benefit.

But doing so would put them at an unacceptable risk, compromising their Cover.
So you sit there, and fantasise about ditching your cover and decapitating the Mob Boss sitting in front of you, ripping out his guys and strangling his son with them.
But that would draw the Angels closer, so you take the beating and grovel at his feet, and play your part.
>>
>>50687652
>>50687575
That's not how you spell the Ordo Dracul
>>
File: Untitled (2).jpg (100KB, 1026x398px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled (2).jpg
100KB, 1026x398px
Does anyone know if there some where online where they post any of the official artwork from the books? There used to be a bunch on the whitewolf website but it's all gone now with the whole one world thing.

I've recently been making unique little cover picture's for each of our sessions and I'd like to use some of it. (we schedule over facebook, pic related it's the first one from our character creation session)
I copied what I could right out of my pdf copies but most of the older ones aren't formatted for it.
Backgrounds especially would be nice.
>>
>>50717424
Did your game end up being R-Rated?
>>
>>50717802
yes actually
>>
>>50717829
Storytime?
>>
>>50717829
Well its still running we're only like 5 sessions in. I haven't really built up to anything super out there yet, you gotta build up to these things.
Sorry, am sure when I have things worth telling I'll be I will.
>>
>>50688331
So basically you're playing CofD-flavored freeform?
>>
>>50718836
Not really, there are mechanics, the player's just don't know them. Or not all of them, yet, they've started to figure some of them out.
>>
File: HERNE-825x510 (1).jpg (204KB, 825x510px) Image search: [Google]
HERNE-825x510 (1).jpg
204KB, 825x510px
>>50716305
Bump on this, can anyone point me in the right direction. Like in some of them they make mentions of it, but I need a break down of the actual process.
>>
>>50712507
>>50712520
>>50712579
Grammar learn it
>>
>>50713306
>lawyer in Berlin
>Not a Firefighter
Why? How is this even remotely thematic? He better be an arson law or something
>>
>>50718969
Okay, two ways to get a contract.

Option 1: You fucking MAKE one, by engaging in a long extremely arduous quest to entreat the "element" you wish to contract with, and at the culmination of that crazy fucking quest, you create a brand new fuckin' contract, which nobody else has.

Option 2: You're signed on to the contract by someone else. You can also buy people's contracts at the Goblins Market.

Either way it's mystical, personal, and in 2e it leaves indications of its presence in your Mien. e.g. If you have the mirror-walking Contract, your reflection might ripple from time to time.
>>
>>50717149
>Satisfying the "morality" requirement
We're here to play a game Anon not LARP our day jobs
>>
>>50719238
I play CofD not because of questions of "what", but because of questions of "why".

Like, "why would you fucking do that"?
>>
>>50719184
Punctuation, learn it.
>>
>>50719232
Thanks, that's helpful. When someone signs you on so to speak, does it matter how it looks? Like is there a process I've missed or in a book I don't have? Like when they are fresh out of the Hedge, they need to make contracts with the Freehold itself right and maybe a court. Is there an actually like a prescribed manner to handle that?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.
>>
>>50719184
u first gay nerd lmao#rekt
>>
>>50719295
I'd imagine it's heavily ritualised and quite different from Court to Court.
You're swearing your alleigance to that Court, and its patron season/time/whatever.

At its core, you're merely mystically stating your intention and acceptance of obligation to the wyrd, but it's probably best to tie it up in the "story" of that Freehold and Court.
>>
>>50719305
>>50719262
>>50719184

Don't save Anon never gave you anything for Christmas

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Grammar-Book-Youll-Ever/dp/1580628559
>>
>>50685937
I can't imagine alot will change.
>>
>>50706718
Pretty sure most people on 4chan are familiar with 4chan.
>>
>>50720975
Not him, but I'm hoping we get some new mechanics. Tactics are dumb and The Code is kind of difficult when you already have personalized Morality. Hell, Hurt Locker even has a Merit that makes The Code kind of useless (Scarred). Hunters have also lost their Professions, since it's a basic Merit.

Hunters need something to justify a book. I'm hoping we'll see some new and more diverse Endowment rules, better Endowment creation, and something that steals ideas from other games. I think Hunters would do well with Touchstones. It would help reinforce the threat of losing your social ties when you dedicate your life to hunting monsters, but at the same time unless their Integrity is changed more, I don't see that working. Maybe if Hunters take Integrity penalties for Vigil related things for not having Touchstones.
>>
>>50721369
from what I hear, we're mostly getting revisions and keeping hunter the same, as well as getting more in depth rules for the descent from hunter into slasher.
>>
File: WallofRefusal.png (176KB, 822x753px) Image search: [Google]
WallofRefusal.png
176KB, 822x753px
>>50721245
Yes 4chan is known for cats memes not overthrowing governments
>>
Alright so Vampires + spirits and or ghosts

How do and or can these things interact ? some blood magic bullshit or what?
>>
Is there a Requiem book that covers alchemy? or at least mentions it? I want to make an Ordo Dracul alchemist but I just cant find anything on it aside from a sentence here or there.
>>
>>50721688
4chan is known for being the asshole of the internet where anonymous is legion and they'll troll and harass you for being progressive in ways they don't agree with. The anon in question acts like people on 4chan are going to know more about Central American communists than Gamergate. That's simply not true.

>>50721630
The problem is Hunter can't be kept the same, since most of its toys have been taken away.
>>
>>50716532
>>50716925
>Not shared yet, either everyones poverty, everyones lazy or no one cares about the poverty fans
I have it, but I'm turned off from sharing it since so many people in the thread don't even seem to like the game and just want to bitch about it.
>>
File: chickswithguns.jpg (954KB, 3810x2286px) Image search: [Google]
chickswithguns.jpg
954KB, 3810x2286px
>>50721777
Actual governments toppled by Anonymous: 0
Actual governments toppled by violent revolutionaries: almost all of them
>>
>>50721930
Anon, are you having trouble with reading comprehension? You seem to not be getting what is being said here.

Could you please point to the post where you read "4chan has toppled governments"? It would help to know what you're having trouble with. Don't be embarrassed, sempai will help you.
>>
>>50721777
>implying that the progressive hivemind doesn't deserve hate for generating more hate and making gender and skin colour more important than ever
Okay
>>
File: Nosferatuposter.jpg (167KB, 525x747px) Image search: [Google]
Nosferatuposter.jpg
167KB, 525x747px
>>50721962
Sorry did I trip your rerumphobia?
>>
>>50721369
>hoping we'll see some new and more diverse Endowment rules, better Endowment creation, and something that steals ideas from other games

Focusing on more magical or supernatural hunters effectively eliminates one of the central themes of the game, i.e., regular humans becoming monsters while fighting them,

Recall that Hunter 2e was intended to be the "Slasher Chronicle," and focus on what that would entail for largely human hunters.
>>
Are guns really going to hamper me if I decide to use them or should I really just get a sword?
>>
Putting aside Dark Eras, when would you say humanity first existed

When BC were the first humans?
>>
>>50687309
>Write a brief setting guide, short and sweet, that you want potential players to read.
>In the middle of it, tell the player to add a certain word on their character sheet to confirm they read it.
DM advice/10.
You should write a article about it.
>>
File: Two Minute Warning MAGA.jpg (117KB, 1280x378px) Image search: [Google]
Two Minute Warning MAGA.jpg
117KB, 1280x378px
>>50722017
Yeah, we should just go back to that time when minorities knew not to complain about their lot in life.

>>50722058
>rerumphobia
What?

>>50722076
I disagree. I think Endowments and so on really heightens that theme. I mean, it was something that 1e already did. There's even a few sidebars that address it, specifically "Hypocrisy" on page 150.
>Endowments are weird. Endowments are monstrous and, in many ways, inhuman. Does this make those hunters who *use* them inhuman? "Humanity" here is in the ey of the beholder. Certainly too few hunters recognize the hypocrisy in the act of hunting the supernatural when they themselves wield preturnatural gifts. Just the same as how many hunters track down cultists when they themselves could be considered cultists of a different sort. Players and Storytellers may recognize these ironies; hunter characters often do not. This is part of what makes such characters curiously flawed, and it's also what forces us to ask just what is it that defines a hunter's *humanness*.

The reason that Slashers are Hunters is because ultimately there's barely a difference.
>>
>>50687309
>>50722229
People do this on F-list with their big wordy profiles.
I take it as a sign that I'm not interested in playing with them because they're not interested in working together.

Same thing applies with an ST.

>>50686699
Talk with your players and go over things with them. Work with them. Ask them how familiar they are with the setting, and let them know if you're changing anything. Have them help you design parts of the setting, so that they're more invested in it.

>>50708869
Understand that I'm not a big VtM fan, but True Faith doesn't seem to be "human-based" so much as "faith-based". Your faith would be in Caine and/or Lilith.
>>
I am of the opinion that Slashers and Hunters should be mostly unrelated. Hunters who stare too much into the abyss should be either increasingly ruthless, paranoid wrecks who quit, or dead, not suddenly develop supernatural powers out of nowhere, especially if they never had endowments to begin with.
>>
File: drinkThePain.gif (1009KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
drinkThePain.gif
1009KB, 500x280px
>>50722244
Oh Aspel

please kill the thread again, we're almost at 300 anyways
>>
>>50699922
>But it's alot to keep track of.
Just don't. It will annoy your players in the long term if you want to do too much and inevitably forget things. Focus on a tight, localized story w/ a few factions only.
>>
>>50701946
>>how to be wrong in 4 easy words
Yes you are. Unless he is a veteran GM, focusing on one line (humans+vampires+ghouls f.e.) is more than enough
>>
>>50703554
>Fucking baneposting I thought it was dead.
For you.
>>
>>50704537
>Is there a VtR book that covers New York? I could have sworn there was one..
Just write your own NY adventure, stealing from NY splats from other Werewolf products if you need too. I can help.
>>
>>50707330
>Some spaniad who was one of those duelists
Ventrue toreador vs ghouled bull with Potence when.
>>
>>50715686
>Any tips for an anon who is gonna play a vampire with dementation?
Make a new character. That shit is unplayable.
>>
>>50716305
>How do making a contract work exactly?
You swear an oath to someone, like the King of the Court or Regent of Freehold. Make it as informal or formal as you like, pinky promise or signing in blood.
>>
>>50722532
Those are pledges, Anon.
Contracts are different.
>>
>>50717424
>Does anyone know if there some where online where they post any of the official artwork from the books?
lrn to use google.
>>
File: smug.jpg (1MB, 2818x3979px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
1MB, 2818x3979px
>>50722482
>>50707330
>>50707261
Have people forgotten the Venture with 4 dots of resilience Can literally take chainsaws to the face and not flinch?
>>
Am I going crazy or was the Hurt Locker supposed to have info on drones that I'm not finding in it now? I want to hellfire missile me some vampires, dammit.
>>
>>50721245
Pretty sure you should kill yourself if your group consists of 4channers only
>>
I forgot most of the Promethean Elpides are a Snake Eater reference.
>>
>>50723308
Are they?
>>
>>50723460
Your character's Elpis is essentially the emotion they see as being "human". Witnessing humans acting on it gives you a point of Willpower, while managing to do it yourself without mimicking them gives all Willpower.
Sample Elpides are:
>Courage
>Drive
>Empathy
>Fear
>Fury
>Inspiration
>Joy
>Love
>Sorrow
>Pain

"The Joy" was The Boss' codename during WWII. All the Cobras except The End get a reference.
>>
>>50723524
That's a pretty cool reference.
>>
>>50722755

There's the Drone Fighting Style, but I can't remember anything beyond that.
>>
>>50722513
>>50715997

Any actual tip? Or at least you could say what makes you think it's so bad so I can specifically avoid that. I don't think I'm gonna get more than one or two points in dementation, by the way. I find the situation and the opportunities fun and interesting, but I also have other priorities for the character.

Playing requiem is not an option. And I'm not eager to change character since this one is already the substitute of another one and I will end up looking like That Guy if I demand a change again.
>>
>>50716080
Pretty ironic that he's called the strong
>>
>>50721688
Source on the image? It looks cute.
>>
>>50722191
What are you playing?
>>
So /cofdg/, what's your most and least favourite Hunter organization and why?
>>
>>50725011
I don't have a favorite, to be honest. I like the idea of four schmucks hunting a monster occasionally, so I guess the Union fits the most. I'm also partial to the Malleus Maleficarum, since I like the image of the classic inquisitor, and VALKYRIE because they have a cool endowment. The Abbey is the one I dislike the most. Them being thrill-seekers and rich idiots is fine, but them being mostly junkies and sexual deviants isn't.
>>
>>50725011
Cainite Heresy.

"Oh, a mysterious vial of blood shows up at my doorstep telling me it will help with my vampire problem? No sense questioning it! Guess I'll become a terrorist :D"
>>
>>50725246
I'm not sure that's how they recruit.
>>
File: Teutonic.png (50KB, 500x599px) Image search: [Google]
Teutonic.png
50KB, 500x599px
What do you think about the teutonic order as a basis for a hunter organization?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>50722244
If you strawman and respond sarcastically enough, you might be right eventually.
>>
>>50722191
Are you playing a mundane human? No never.

Supernatural? Maybe.
>>
Does 'knowing' and 'unveiling' magic expand a mage's sensory range for sensory magic?
>>
So now that it's been out for a while, anyone have enough experience playing / storytelling MAGE to be able to talk about the rules more concretely?

How relevant & interesting have the new Paradox rules been in your games?

Has Time magic been disruptive to your games, like so many feared after the first full PDF dropped?

Generally, what're your opinions on how well the game runs?
>>
>>50725114
I like The Abbey but as antagonists for a supernatural game. I think they can really fuck with a player's expectations of what kind of hunters they'll encounter if they breach the masquerade.
>>
>>50728074
>>
>>50725859
So might you.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.