[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you discourage players from turning into lolsrandumb murder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: blind driver.webm (1MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
blind driver.webm
1MB, 720x404px
How do you discourage players from turning into lolsrandumb murder hobos?
I've noticed that certain classes (rogue, warlock), races (gnomes, kender) and alignments (chaotic neutral, chaotic evil) tend to turn people into stupid assholes
>>
players turn into murder hobos when they aren't having fun playing along. Instead of thinking "how can I punish or discourage murderhoboism" you should think "how can I make adventuring more appealing than muderhoboism?"
>>
>>50640567
>>50640717
Or maybe they simply want to be murderhobos.
Then all you have to do is build the game around this. Make the game lethal, quick and fun, with violent action scenes and clear stakes.
>>
>>50640567
I don't retain players that are Chaotic Random.
>>
>>50640567
Make it clear to the players from the start that you don't want that kind of game, and if they want that kind of game, find a different one.
That said, some people have it in their minds that certain character archetypes DEMAND them to be assholes, and that is simply a failure for the player to expand horizons or integrate into the group. In a D&D game, I was a LG paladin with a CN warrior type, and we clashed about everything under the sun. However, he was the best example of a CN character I have ever seen, who played simply to his own ideas, cunning and initiative. I would come up with plans, and he would deviate from them if he saw an advantage to be taken, a chance moment to be exploited or a situation not prepared for. It drove me nuts and we never saw eye to eye, but we respected each other's prowess and capabilities highly.
Talk to the player/s first and find out if there is ultimately a goal. If it is a means to an end, you, as GM can help mold the opportunity for that end to shine and orchestrate a character/group turnaround. If it is the end itself, then you need to draw a line.
>>50640717
Then they ought to talk to the GM. Passive aggressiveness ruins groups most efficiently.
>>50641001
If the GM doesn't want that game, why would he make one?
I told my players from the word go that I don't do puzzles, murderhoboing, senseless pvp, and that the game will be challenging, the rewards commensurate. Talking to the players goes a long way.
>>
>>50640567
if they do too much bullshit, the authorities will just throw people and stuff at them until they die.

if your players just murder everything without bothering about traces, they should feel the consequences pretty quickly. Even if they are overpowered adventurers, the bounty might attract some even more overpowered adventurers
>>
>>50640567
Don't play D&D. Play something where the combat always holds the potential for mortal injury, and where money and equipment are better acquired by gifts and payment rather than looted from the dead.

Murderhoboes are a unique problem generated by dungeon crawl games where your meat points and spell power quickly overshadow normal folks, and the most efficient path to wealth and power is to kill things and take their stuff.

Play a modern game - You can't just sell that mugger's shitty weapon at the next storefront. In fact, if you get caught with it, chances are you just tied yourself to a half dozen crimes. Better not to take it. Oh, you want to get in a shoot out with that street gang? Any of those guys could get a lucky shot and blow your skull wide open. You want to take that chance? You have no vast meat point reserve here - Just because you have a higher level than them doesn't make you more durable.
>>
or you could just give them a little outlet every now and then. My current DM will have a campain arc where we do some investigation, some planning, a little shopping, throw in a little casual murder for anyone who wants it and then the proper encounters.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.