[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, today I played my very first RPG, I had the role of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: call of ctulhu.png (168KB, 256x362px) Image search: [Google]
call of ctulhu.png
168KB, 256x362px
Hey /tg/, today I played my very first RPG, I had the role of GM (or keeper, it was call of ctulhu).

I have some questions to make future experiences more enjoyable, things that weren't very clear to me and stuff.

I was playing CoC 7th edition, on the starting scenario (the corvitt haunted house). I was keeper and I was playing with 2 friends.

Basically, I was following the scenario, but adding shit up the way I saw fit, like making up fucked up events to get insanity checks. Is this good or am I supposed to only do it when the scenario says so?

Whats "movement rate"? its at the character sheet but the booklet says nothing about it. Same for "assets, cash" and other money related things

Also, none of the retards chose "spot hidden" as a skill, so at one point where the booklet said that they had to roll spot hidden to find a floating dagger, I allowed the guy with the highest int in the group to make an int check to find it, was that good? Are there ways for the characters to learn a new skill?

keeping on: Combat, the book said that if they grabbed the dagger and it broke free, the dagger would attack them and it would be a combat scenario where every dagger attack would cost 1 magic point to the ghost. How do I determine the ghost's stats? or any NPCs for that matter.

Last question for now: Whats the limit on the amount of shit every character can start/carry and how do these items translate to the combat? One of my friends wrote that his character carried a katana, a club, a revolver + 16 rounds, a medkit, matches and candles and the guy kept picking up objects during the game. It sounded silly to picture a guy so heavily armed but the book said nothing about limits.

The other guy said he had multiple arcane tomes, but this wouldn't translate to knowledge of the arcane, right? Because that would be like an extra skill and it would feel like cheating.

Overall, I had fun, but I'd like to improve my experience for the next sessions
>>
File: Call_of_Cthulhu_RPG_1st_ed_1981.jpg (45KB, 250x351px) Image search: [Google]
Call_of_Cthulhu_RPG_1st_ed_1981.jpg
45KB, 250x351px
>>50638601

Fucked up the pic, sorry
>>
>>50638601
Sadly, /tg/ is a bad place to ask about this stuff because 99.9% of the board only plays and cares about D&D and Warhammer 40k. It'd be best to ask this on another place or when an specific CoC thread/general comes up.

But bumping in hopes that somebody else can help you, OP.
>>
>>50638601
>Basically, I was following the scenario, but adding shit up the way I saw fit, like making up fucked up events to get insanity checks. Is this good or am I supposed to only do it when the scenario says so?
You're mostly supposed to have fun with your friends. Do as you feel as long as everybody at the table is okay with it and think the game's interesting.
>Also, none of the retards chose "spot hidden" as a skill, so at one point where the booklet said that they had to roll spot hidden to find a floating dagger, I allowed the guy with the highest int in the group to make an int check to find it, was that good?
Yes. You shouldn't let a mechanical limitation stop your scenario. Maybe you should have had the ghost attack them, though. I mean, if they're shortsighted, well too bad, they get stabbed.
>Combat, the book said that if they grabbed the dagger and it broke free, the dagger would attack them and it would be a combat scenario where every dagger attack would cost 1 magic point to the ghost. How do I determine the ghost's stats? or any NPCs for that matter.
I haven't read CoC 7th, but isn't that supposed to be somewhere in the book?
>Last question for now: Whats the limit on the amount of shit every character can start/carry and how do these items translate to the combat?
If there are no rules regarding this, eyeball it. If it feels like the character is carrying too much shit, make his physical rolls slightly harder. If it feels like he should be crushed under the weight of his backpack, make his rolls a lot harder.
>The other guy said he had multiple arcane tomes, but this wouldn't translate to knowledge of the arcane, right?
I guess not? Maybe have him make an Int roll to see if he finds the info, and how long it takes.
>cont.
>>
>>50641121
>cont.
>One of my friends wrote that his character carried a katana, a club, a revolver + 16 rounds, a medkit, matches and candles and the guy kept picking up objects during the game. It sounded silly to picture a guy so heavily armed but the book said nothing about limits.
I get the feeling CoC's not really the right game for this guy. Maybe you should talk to your players. Try to determine if they want a lethal game where their characters will end up half mad and/or eaten by a shoggoth or if they want an heroic game wher they can rocket punch Cthulhu into oblivion.
>>
Okay, let me try to answer your questions.

1. IMO it depends on the scenario and of course you as the GM and what you think the players will like. It's very subjective. Personally I don't do that sort of thing but if you and your players have fun with that then whatever.

2. I personally abstract stuff like movement rates, I don't care enough about them to bother with all the hassle and my players are okay with it. Nevertheless, the core rulebook should explain them. I run 6th Ed though, not 7th. I tend to abstract wealth a bit too. Assets can refer to things like property, a car or something which you decide with the player. Cash should be money on hand (or which can be withdrawn). Income I tend to abstract too, don't worry about it too much. I use it more as a loose upper limit on the sort of spending which can be done over scenarios but IMo it's not important.

3. Skills are not easy to learn and upgrade in CoC (see the rulebook, it does explain how it's done). I personally would ask your players to respec their characters a bit as Spot Hidden is a major skill so should be bumped up. Yes, if there is a clue you want (or need) the PCs to find you should provide other ways of doing it like the INT thing, but more narrative ways exist too.

4. Corbitt's stats should be in the scenario you ran on a page somewhere, you must have missed them as I have ran the exact same scenario and they are provided. Making NPCs is just like making PCs (albeit much simpler and easier).

5. This I just run as the 'common sense method', with some influence by stats like STR maybe. Your PCs shouldn't be able to carry a fuckton of stuff on them. The book isn't clear on a number of things but it's easy enough to use common sense for that. I don't know what you mean by 'translate to combat' but again one would thing that a guy carrying 3 guns, a sword, a medical bag and some books would be encumbered enough that penalties might apply to things like dodging.
Continued next post
>>
6. About arcane tomes, having them still means you have to take the time to read them in order to get any knowledge, skills, spells, etc. out of them. This also may entail SAN rolls and maybe magic point costs too. The rulebook has rules on how to read tomes and thereby gain spells and so on.
>>
the way that I handle items is they a can have as much shit as they want written down. But once they arrive somewhere the need to take it have taken it out of the boot (storage). they are limited to having one pistol, one knife/club ext, and a rifle (3 slots).

switching between stuff takes a combat action and if they 'choose' to take more stuff (pistol and knife holstered, rifle/shotgun strapped over shoulder). they either replace a weapon they have or take multiple penalty dice due to holding onto too much stuff. the only way around it is if they buy a backpack to store more stuff in. people that do that I give penalties to STR an DEX related stuff.
>>
>>50638601
Ass you are starting out I throw some old fart thoughts your way. Call of Cthulhu can be fun but do not think the game well last long. The players well want to move on to anther system soon than later. you can only die/go insane so many times before you get tried of it. Take the time to read the rules and as your group has started with this rule set, see what other setting for it .
>>
>>50638601
The secret of tabletop is that you can do the fuck you want
so taht's it
do the fuck you want
>>
>>50641127
The guy didn't know shit about Lovecraft of Ctulhu mythos so he thought it was a fantasy setting and then kept the katana as a joke. Next session I'll keep it a bit more restricted.

>>50641156

I didn't see Corbitt's stats anywhere, im using the quickstart book, maybe they're not in there?

>>50641169

When the book talks about spells and learning time, should I take literal? Like it says it takes 2 days to learn a spell but I obviously wasnt gonna wait 2 real days so I just let them do a "pass the night" thing .
>>
>>50644604
About Corbitt's stats, I haven't used the quickstart book so I wouldn't know but that is a glaring oversight by Chaosium or whoever if they didn't include such key stats in the book. I can't really help you further in that respect.

Don't take spell times as literal, usually a 'pass the night' thing is okay too. Don't make it too easy for them though either and let them just say 'I study the book for 2 days' as then its just too easy. Try to find a balance. In scenarios where there is some sort of time constraint this is more important though. Time in between RPG sessions can also be used as 'book-and-other stuff' time as well if you want.
>>
>>50644743

Yeah I told them they could pass the night at a hotel (which would cost them some money) or they could pass it at the house, which would have random consequences. They stayed at the house and lost a lot of sanity and hp
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.