[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make settlements smaller than cities react to your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

How do you make settlements smaller than cities react to your party coming through?

Also, how do you make a village more believeable? I feel like its hard to grasp how large or small to make any given village. I also feel like every village or town I make is kind of "same-y" too. How do I eleviate this in a low fantasy game?
>>
This is what I think.

At a glance people can not really tell how strong you are, particularly people without detect magic, until you have obvious physical showings. Stuff like sorcerer bloodlines, strange races, etc would do this.

Where I put it is you're still a group of armed individuals. If this group of armed and strange folk are even up to 1/4 of the number of the local law enforcement (most places do not have a guard or standing military, likely they have a militia or some house guard sent by a nobleman) people start getting really fucking nervous.

People would treat you kindly, but out of fear. Some wouldn't care. Some would shout at you to leave.

A bunch of armed to the teeth mercenaries aren't a good thing.
>>
File: fief.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
fief.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50616409
>how do you make a village more believeable?

This might be of use to you.
>>
>>50616464
>A bunch of armed to the teeth mercenaries aren't a good thing.

Yeah I just had the thought that parties are like wandering merc groups during peace time. I mean, what the fuck do Mercs do when its peace time? If it ISN'T peace time, then why arent they on the warfront?
>>
>>50616551
>what the fuck do Mercs do when its peace time?
Either go somewhere where it ain't, or turn to crime.

>If it ISN'T peace time, then why arent they on the warfront?
Either they're on their way (low tech travle takes time), or they're looking for someone who'll pay them to go there first.
>>
>>50616614
>Either go somewhere where it ain't, or turn to crime.
So this is why almost all parties are murderhobos. They just turn to a life of crime.
>>
>>50616633
It's what real soldiers did most of the time in some fashion or other. I don't get this hate for murderhoboing.
>>
>>50616705
Its hard to make murderhobos seem like heroes unless they are tragic.
>>
File: 1478770003184.jpg (32KB, 342x346px) Image search: [Google]
1478770003184.jpg
32KB, 342x346px
>>50616409
Cities tend to be more bustling, have more cities and tend to be more "multicultural" for a lack of a better word. Reflect this in the reactions of the people around you.

If you enter a major shop in a city, you may or may not be greeted, and the greeting will be bland and regular. No matter how unique or how much of a special snowflake you may be, the shopkeeper has probably seen it alread. In a small town or village it will be different. The shopkeeper knows most if not all of his regulars by face if not by name. He notice, and probably outright say, that he has never seen you around before. And if you're an elf or a dwarf (assuming we're talking about a human village here), you'll be the raddest shit he has seen all year. Kind of reminds me about something my Judo teacher told me about when I was a kid. Back when he was a child, there was a black kid joining his class and he was the center of attention purely because there weren't that many black kids around (Eurofag btw), so everyone wanted to wrassle him for the novelty of wrassling a black kid. Being an elf or a dwarf in a human town (or a human in an elven or dwarven town) will be like that: you're treated as a curiosity. In a city, on the other hand, most people have probably seen other races once or twice so you're not as special. A more "politically correct" example may be the foreign kid in an exchange program: he won't stand out in whatever city he's visiting (if it's a major city), but within his own class (a tightly knit community, more or less) he will be a total pussy magnet by virtue of being foreign. Bonus points for foreign accents.

In short:
1. In smaller communities, strangers are noticed
2. Folks who ain't from round these here parts are a rarity and insite curiosity (assuming there's no reason to be hostile).
>>
>>50616798
How do you treat similar situations in human only settings? Rely on tabbards and flags? Sigils and rings?
>>
File: 1475011898477.jpg (87KB, 545x521px) Image search: [Google]
1475011898477.jpg
87KB, 545x521px
>>50616834
Accents, language, local customs (that may seem incredibly outlandish) and certain physical features help. Imagine a prudish pseudo-medieval not!English society being visited by a party of five, one of which a not!French troubador, another a not!German smith and yet another a scantily clad, deliciously brown amazone. You can already imagine the reactions to these three individuals, right? One from a country they have reason to be hostile to, one from yet another country that's not so different and generally seen neutrally, and an incredibly outlandish woman with weird customs and a strange looking skin. The latter will be a curiosity to anyone except the "no fun allowed" section of the clergy, who will rebuke her for the way she dresses. To which the amazon might call the clergy a bunch of big babies because they're so obsessed with something as normal as tits
>>
File: did nothing wrong.jpg (589KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
did nothing wrong.jpg
589KB, 1600x1200px
>>50616409

Guts a worst

WORST
>>
>>50616980
Fuck you, Guts did what we all would do. Hes human as fuck
>>
File: 1472147156246.jpg (1MB, 806x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1472147156246.jpg
1MB, 806x1140px
>>50617205

People who like Guts are scientifically proven to have been raped by large black men.
>>
>>50617388
People who like griffith are scientifically proven to sleep with old men for money.
>>
>>50617404

At least when I get fucked in the ass, someone pays me after.
>>
>>50617502
At least when Guts sleeps with women he doesn't get put in prison and tortured.
>>
File: 1470275592248.jpg (10KB, 272x224px) Image search: [Google]
1470275592248.jpg
10KB, 272x224px
>>50617552

>Be Gut's gf
>Get fucked by some other guy so hard you become retarded
>>
>>50616409
The general default is suspicion.

>kind of "same-y"
Well, go through any small town in the midwest... can you tell them apart, or do they all kind of run together?

If I'm running your typical medieval romp, I usually boil it down to a few different types of settlement

>tiny hamlets organized around one or two industries
This could be a hunter's camp, a mining town, a farming community or whatever. Just a few families doing their own thing. There might be a blacksmith who also farms. The "inn" is just someone's house. Hospitality is a necessity, so as long as you aren't clearly dangerous, they'll put you up in a barn somewhere.

For the most part, there's no reason for outsiders to linger here.

>walled towns and market villages
These are the hubs of rural areas. Every village within a days travel does their trading here on a weekly market day.

There are inns, stores, and other such businesses. Nobody is fazed much by newcomers, but an armed party is received with caution until the locals get to know you.

>small cities
These are the regional hubs of economy and defense. They'll usually be set at important points, like where two rivers meet, or on a good harbor. Mercenaries and foreigners probably travel through often. So unless they're committing crimes, a small group of armed travelers won't be paid any mind.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.