[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to play a Cthulhu 1920 game this sunday. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: sellout.jpg (1MB, 3508x4961px) Image search: [Google]
sellout.jpg
1MB, 3508x4961px
I'm about to play a Cthulhu 1920 game this sunday. I've been playing pen & paper a lot in the past 10 years, but it's my first time actually playing Cthulhu. I've also read my fair share of Lovecraft.

Since I won't have time to read the rules, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for a premade character.

Is there anything I should know beforehand?
Any particular tips you'd give me?
Do's and don'ts of the genre?

I'm playing with strangers, if that changes anything.
>>
watch the 2005 Call of Cthulhu film it's actually pretty nice for that
>>
>>50613609
Read the fucking rules.

Also, I want to see those tentacles have their way with that woman.
>>
>>50614075
Will do, thanks!

>>50614318
DM will probably be lenient about that since i'm not the only newcomer, but you're right and I will. I think I remember reading somewhere that they were quite light, too.

Seems like /tg/ doesn't really care for Cthulhu. Huh.
>>
>>50613609
>>50614318
>>50614581

I find Lovecraft boring myself, but I'll second the motion for more "creepy tentacles vs saucy 40's gamer chick" pics.

That particular one has always made me hot. That dame's got moxie.
>>
>>50613609
As a long time GM for Cthulhu games, try to keep the meta out of it. If you suspect you know what cult or elder god the GM is working with dont spoil it for everyone else unless you character would have reason to suspect it. It really really kills the vibe of the game and the room, which is the #1 thing cthuluh games have going for them that makes them fun to play. The ah-ha moment is nice, but dont ruin the fun of figuring it out for everyone else.

Secondly keep your character as best in theme with the GMs setting as you can, if he's running pulp detective fiction dont play someone who would have no conceivable reason for being there. Again it really fucks with the mood.

Really the key is have fun with the setting, get into it, have a fun character who fits, and enjoy the investigation. Dont push for elder horrors from beyond on day one, the genre works at its best with a slow burn mystery, with eccentric characters, and hard to decipher clues.
>>
>>50614581
/tg/ likes lovecraft just fine, the issue is GM's who dont know how to run love craft properly. Its all about slow builds of the mystery and having fun with the aesthetic of lovecraft. I find the best games have very little overt eldritch horror, but instead favor splashes of it across the game sometimes culminating with no interaction with the great void at all. Just hints that its been happening around them, hidden in plain sight. Make them question their world, their reality. Lovecraft isnt about scaring you, its about making you utterly uncomfortable with the norm.

Im currently running a WW2 cthuluh style game, and my players are 5 sessions or so in, and they've only encountered the weird and alien twice, one of those times they didnt even register it as alien.
>>
>>50614581
cthulu is a dead meme on par with zombies or cowboyninjas vs piraterobots for the most obnoxious kind of nerd, the sort that doesn't understand the difference between being funny and saying lines from movies
>>
>>50614318
I'd rather see the lady have her way with those tentacles.
>>
>>50615626
>Dont push for elder horrors from beyond on day one, the genre works at its best with a slow burn mystery, with eccentric characters, and hard to decipher clues.
I have a feeling that my DM won't do that since it's a one shot, haha

Thanks a bunch for your advice. I would totaly have gone for the ah-ha moment if it wasn't for your post, so thanks! No idea what characters I'll play though since I don't even know what are the possibilities.

>>50615734
That's kinda why, as a long time DM, I don't feel quite ready to masterize one just yet. I've been making a lot of progress in the past year but I'll wait a bit more for that - and in the meanwhile, playing will certainly help.
>>
File: 1454528816117.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1454528816117.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>50613609
don't know too much about the mythos.
Big part of playing horror games is accepting the horror as well, don't make jokes about things the gm intends as frightening or exciting, don't ruin everyones immersion
>>
>>50613609
I have seem enough anime to know where your image ends...
>>
>>50618517

I haven't. Post more pls
>>
>>50613609
>Since I won't have time to read the rules
As a GM, this is my pet peeve and you are cancer.

If I can find the time to prep an adventure for a bunch of strangers, you can find the time to read enough of the rulebook to show up with a self-generated character.
>>
File: 129_en.jpg (224KB, 1030x520px) Image search: [Google]
129_en.jpg
224KB, 1030x520px
>>
File: 1427308016771.jpg (218KB, 1272x848px) Image search: [Google]
1427308016771.jpg
218KB, 1272x848px
>>
Madness isn't always inanity. Also read the rules
>>
>>50613609
most CoC games don't run like lovecraft stories. some purist trail of cthulhu games do.

expect it to run like an indiana jones movie, except you don't know the protagonist will survive, you know everyone is doomed instead.
>>
>>50613609
Characters are vulnerable. Jumping into a gunfight is fairly likely to get you dead.

Don't be a smart ass and jump a steamship to tokyo the moment spooky shit happens. Yeah, you can do it, but it just means you either make a new character or sit out the rest of the game.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.