[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friends want me to run a Sword Art Online campaign. My concern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3423.jpg (84KB, 500x741px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3423.jpg
84KB, 500x741px
My friends want me to run a Sword Art Online campaign. My concern is that they'll quickly become bored of this idea after session 1 and any work I put into making or learning a specific system would be rendered pointless. How do I either A. Make a "trapped in a virtual reality video game" engaging beyond initial excitement. B. Convince them to play something else.

If there's a custom system for it that would be helpful to mention.
>>
>>50613036
Ask your friends why they want to do so. If they say "BECAUSE IT WOULD BE COOL!!!!111111XD" then all you will get out of it is like 1 session then they get bored and you wasted your time.
SAO is literally WoW but with "deadly" stakes and other dumbshit tacked on. Ask your friends if they enjoy WoW.
>>
>>50613036
>My friends want me to run a Sword Art Online campaign

Well there goes option B. Your Friends' tastes are too shit to save. Just put the bare minimum effort in.
>>
File: IMG_1967.jpg (308KB, 768x994px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1967.jpg
308KB, 768x994px
>>50613036
Abandon ship. If you can't then just use pic related.
>>
>>50613036
Make it nightmare fuel. Think of the horrible implications of being trapped in a VR game. Use Madness mechanics of some sort.
>>
>>50613200
>Think of the horrible implications of being trapped in a VR game
Hmmm. The background music never stops? People begin valuing EXP and rare items over human life. Players start questioning which is the real world now. People commit suicide. The front line players all get killed so the rest are stuck in there until they all die or someone shuts the VR down. The fact that %99 of players probably never fought before so a lot of noobs will die after the beginning.
>>
>>50613247
Don't forget that small groups heading out to fame and never returning is the normal. And like %70 of all players are under the age of 17 so these are children dying, which makes it twice as edgy.
>>
>>50613036
>SAO campaign

Restrict Song Of Swords to swords only.

Run MAXIMUM FECHT.
>>
Honestly you're better off not playing.
>>
>>50613036
Get new friends. I'm not even joking.
>>
I would suggest that you use a different genre than RPG to keep things fresh and so your players don't know what to expect, but it could end up just like a normal mystery/action/whatever game but with game stats, so be creative in what you do
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.