[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best rules system to run an Elder Scroll's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

File: Carte Elder Scroll.jpg (373KB, 1543x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Carte Elder Scroll.jpg
373KB, 1543x1080px
What's the best rules system to run an Elder Scroll's Themed RPG session ?
>>
>>50603415
Start with checking out UESRPG, a pretty good unofficial game that's about to get its third edition. It's the closest you'll get to a proper TES system.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit

If you don't like that, there's always GURPS.
>>
>>50603415
Just get super high and freeform it
>>
>>50603718
Get out of here Kirkbride
>>
At least keep your shitty video-game discussions in the containment thread, please.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 229x582px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 229x582px
Namefagging here. Check out the UESRPG. The beta for 3rd ed is gonna be pumped out officially in a few days. All of us working on it are pretty proud of it. Expect an announcement here in the /esg/ hopefully this weekend.

If you have any questions about it is be happy to answer and shill the system
>>
>>50603415
I'd do the UESRPG myself, like >>50603640 suggested. It's about to get a 3rd edition in about a week or so too, so best time to hop in with it.
>>
>>50603415
>What's the best rules system to run an Elder Scroll's Themed RPG session ?
Every session, remove a few rules without telling anyone. Do this until there aren't any rules. Then drop acid and tell your players that you've become the the Numidium, and smash the table. If they question what happened, tell them that all possible sessions occurred simultaneously, including ones that made sense and didn't cause anyone to call the cops.
>>
Weird, was the map in Oblivion actually bigger than the map in Skyrim?
>>
>>50603718
That is legitimately how you play "Dawn Era: The RPG".

>>50603819
>about a week or so
That soon? Seht and Co. either waited a long time about announcing the new edition, or they're working fast as fuck.
Hopefully I'll manage to find/assemble some sort of group, to play it. I've only had the chance to try a oneshot so far, and that's been a good while ago.

>>50603947
The playable area is roughly the same in both, I think.
It's certainly no Daggerfall.
>>
>>50603947
And the map in Daggerfall was vastly larger than the maps in any of the other games which ostensibly cover larger areas. We don't talk about the inter-game scale problems.
>>
File: daggerfall_city_map.jpg (163KB, 892x823px) Image search: [Google]
daggerfall_city_map.jpg
163KB, 892x823px
VENGEANCE
>>
>>50604119
whew whats with the colour code?
>>
File: image.png (55KB, 300x219px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
55KB, 300x219px
>>50604049
It's been a fast development cycle. We've got a solid core of devs working literally every day for the past month or so revamping a lot of the game to make it as simplified as we can while maintaining as much depth of gameplay as possible, and in the case of vanilla combat, expanding its gameplay while also cutting down on the math as much as possible. I am personally pretty proud of how the revised combat has worked out.
>>
>>50604183
Blue for guilds
Orange for shops
Green for taverns/inns
>>
>>50604119
Go back to your crypt, Lysandus. You were a shit king anyway.

>>50604209
Sounds good, I'm eager to see the release.
>>
>>50604209
Okay, this is really important. Can I take out a loan and buy a boat? And let's assume I decide not to pay the bankers, because now I'm a super cool pirate with a boat... what kind of collection agents can I expect? Are they gonna buy a boat to come and find me? Are there rules for naval warfare?
>>
>>50604119
>not even including the witch houses
Max plebeian
>>
File: image.png (384KB, 600x617px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
384KB, 600x617px
>>50604334
There will be naval rules in the GMs guide or a mass battle supplement we've been discussing. It'll likely get lumped into the GMs guide. It's gonna be great.
>>
>>50604553
You're making the Empire great again, huh?
>>
>>50604183
Red: vendor
Blue: quest hub
Green: Inn or pub
>>
>>50604616
Make Broadswords Great Again
>>
>>50603415
What kind of Elder Scrolls are we talking about? Morrowind is radically different from Oblivion is radically different from Skyrim, etc.
>>
>>50603881
This nigga gets it
>>
GURPS
>>
File: 1379284824391.jpg (340KB, 604x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1379284824391.jpg
340KB, 604x1100px
>>50603415
UESRPG guy here. Just made a big post about the direction of 3e on our subreddit, link via the the link compendium in >>50603640

Our 3e core book will be up soon, but it's not going to be as usable right away as the 2e stuff as we will be lacking a bestiary for a little while. I still recommend it though, as the game itself is just straight better designed in 3e.

I can answer questions if you have any. OP or anyone else.
>>
>>50606957
>Begins to kowtow
WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!
>>
>>50603415
Adding to that map, there's also Battlespire, which takes place in space and Oblivion.

>>50604553
>mass battle supplement
That sounds interesting.

>>50606957
Any major system changes, or mostly rebalancing and adding new content?
>>
>>50607777
Magic rewritten, combat tweaked and redone, luck is now also "lucky numbers" you want to roll and a bit more. It's going to be awesome!
>>
File: seht_sparkles.jpg (34KB, 550x575px) Image search: [Google]
seht_sparkles.jpg
34KB, 550x575px
>>50607667
Bow before the gears!

>>50607777
The post sums it up, but basically everything got overhauled. I'm pretty hyped.
>>
Aside from the unofficial Elder Scrolls RPG, you have a few options. Runequest is what the TES1 and TES2 mechanics were inspired by, so there's that. Myself, I rather like the BECMI (or Rules Cyclopedia) version of D&D for its simplicity and interesting mechanics (like mass combat rules, airship mechanics, air combat rules, and domain (settlement) rules)- freebie version of this with all errata would be Dark Dungeons by Blacky the Blackball.
>>
>>50608471
Merchant rules in "Republic of Darokin" and "Mithronad Guilds" releases in TSR's "Gazetteer" series, underwater combat and werefolk rules found in their "Creature Crucible" series.
>>
File: M'aiq_the_Liar_(Morrowind).png (578KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
M'aiq_the_Liar_(Morrowind).png
578KB, 600x1000px
>>50608471
I still need to get Dark Dungeons. I got his Darker Dungeons and I love it but I'd also like a more BECMI/RC proper game and his Dark Dungeons is about as close as one can get I hear.

But as for using it to run Elder Scrolls? D&D as a whole is probably bad but some of it's non-character mechanics are decent. I'd say try a classless system for character creation and combat for flexibility and growth but steal other systems as needed.
>>
>>50608563

Weren't Peterson and LeFay big D&D nerds before they made Arena? Wasn't D&D the place where all that TES stuff lived before Arena came along?
I mean, Arena even has a descending AC system.
>>
>>50608724

Okay, confirmed: Tamriel started life as a D&D campaign. Source: Elderscrolls.com, circa 2007:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070509175304/http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_anniv/tenth_anniv-arena.htm

>The world used for Arena was Tamriel, the fantasy world created by a few members of the staff for use in their weekly D&D campaign.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.